TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve J. Rogers

Annoying announcer cliches

- By far this is the worst in terms of actual in-ring PBP the "classic" "1...2WEHAVEANEWCHAMPIKICK OUT!" or the many various "blown calls"

Do announcers realize that legit sport broadcasters get ridiculed for such bad blown calls? How many times do you chuckle at "IT IS HIGH, IT IS FAR, IT IS...Caught at the warning track"

Please, it really adds zero to the drama, especially since we SEE the action. In fact, thats another thing, why must PBP guys treat a match like its on radio? No need to "paint the word picture" since WE CAN SEE WHATS GOING ON!

I'll come up with more at some point, just wanted to get the ball rolling on this kind of thread

Steve

The word "literally". The announcers never use it right.

"He literally took his head off!"

"He literally was broken in half!"

Kane: I can't read.

JR: BAH GAWD, HE SUCKS LITERALLY!

Two stuck out with me....

"This is professional wrestlin, there are no timouts in a match"

"The game of human chess"

Ahhhh....

Guest JMA

I hate when announcers try to look cool by saying profanity in general. It doesn't make them more cool, it just makes saying profanities LESS cool.

The "pretty boy" announcer archetype is quite annoying as well. Is Kevin Dunn gay or something?

"He may be small but he's got a big heart."

"Business is about to pick up!"

"He's been busted wide open."

"I'll tell you what, King."

"In over __ years in this business I havent seen anything this horrible/incredible/hellacious/dispicable/etc. before."

"Technically sound."

"You're damn right."

Oh there are so many more.

I know I'll get crap from you ECW marks for this but "OH MY GOD!" got very annoying, very quickly...it was okay when he did it in a regular voice, but when he started to shriek like a girl, I wanted to kill him...

Guest Mordecai's Cathedral

"A spine... on the pine!"

"Flesh on steel. And usually, in my experiences... steel wins!"

"Rules? There are no rules in Tag Team wrestling on Velocity!"

"cruiserweight action exclusive to Smackdown", and this is in Wrestlemania 21 the video game, but if JR actually says Boomer Sooner, that has to be the worst EVER

Oh c'mon. The biggest cliche used by an announcer was Tony Schiavone's big thing about "this being the biggest (title match/television show/contest/etc.) in the HISTORY OF OUR SPORT." I got so damned tired of hearing that EVERY week I'd tune into Nitro in the first hour before I'd flip to Raw an hour later.

I don't know...I think I'm the opposite. I wish the announcers would, you know, actually call the moves during a match. Granted, not every move needs to be called, but I used to hate how Michael Cole would call everything a "hard shot" or "big impact move", and only call the finisher. Yeah, Michael, you didn't bother to name one single move but then it's "Tombstone! by the Undertaker...and this will do it!..."

Please, it really adds zero to the drama, especially since we SEE the action.  In fact, thats another thing, why must PBP guys treat a match like its on radio?  No need to "paint the word picture" since WE CAN SEE WHATS GOING ON!

Another one: This is going back a ways, but one of the regional announcers in the '80s, I can't remember his name, but he called the action for World Class, I believe, and always called a sleeper hold a "sleep hold." Actually, their announcer was pretty crappy in general, IIRC.

JR's "This is going to be a physical match-up!" is probably the worst though. That, or calling it a "smash mouth match", is pretty bad as well.

Gawd, remember when he'd say "this is a smash mouth, XFL-style match!" even before the XFL had aired it's first game??? That was SO annoying, because he was just CONSTANTLY shilling a football league on a wrestling show...

Ross - 'Imposing his physical will...'

What the fuck does that mean?

See Heidenreich/Cole or Warrior/Santa Claus

Also the term "young lions" is annoying, and I can't believe it hasn't been brought up but "puppies" and for the fact of the matter the rest of the "word-vommit" that comes out of Jerry Lawler's mouth.

Paul Heyman saying "One second away, JR, we were one second away from..." when the champion kicks out at 2.

Hell, you want cliche, just tune into Raw and listen to JR and King. You could go back 4 years and notice that except the storylines, they haven't changed a smidge. The Raw broadcast is one big cliche that I'm sick of.