TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

Hogan/Michaels Backstage gossip

Guest wildpegasus

WP -- This is apparantly from the Torch so take it with a grain of salit. However, it does explain the interview by Michaels last night where he tried to save face by breaking kayfabe.

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/2005_/arti.../1124837156.php

Major Backstage News: Shawn Michaels disgusted with Hulk Hogan, Summerslam match

Submitted by Brian Cantor on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 at 6:45 PM EST

For many fans, the quality of effort Shawn Michaels put into his match with Hulk Hogan likely gave the impression that he was thrilled to have the opportunity to work such a match. In reality, however, negotiations with Hulk Hogan brought the RAW superstar to a point of disgust.

Because Hulk Hogan's contract called for creative control, Shawn Michaels was powerless in trying to propose anything other than a clean victory for The Hulkster. Michaels, thinking he was skilled enough in backstage politics to go head-to-head with Hogan, ignored the advice from friends that he should work out a finish prior to agreeing to the match. That failure to take friendly advice would come back to haunt Michaels, as there was no way Hogan was going to accept anything other than a win with the legdrop. Vince McMahon eventually made it clear to HBK that the match was to be done Hogan's way.

While Michaels' late suggestion for a DQ finish was not considered, the idea of running a rematch at Unforgiven was. Thinking it would give each of the wrestlers the opportunity to get a victory, Michaels gladly signed off on the idea. Hogan, however, was not interested in doing the job. Hogan's idea was to win the initial Summerslam match, and then win a steel cage rematch by crawling out the door seconds before HBK climbed out from over the top of the cage. Michaels was certainly not interested in doing the job twice, so they went back to the original plan for a single match.

Michaels' sarcastic promo this week on RAW was his way of venting frustration related to the match. The interview saw Michaels mockingly suggest that Hogan's in-ring ability was just too superior to be touched.

I normally hate all kinds of backstage politicking, but considering it was done against Shawn Michaels, I'd just like to say kudos to the Hulkster.

I don't much like it from either man, so they are both douche's. This explains HBK's ridiculous overselling in the match, especially the selling of the big boot to lead to the legdrop.

At least they had a decent match for a bunch of old people.

This if my favorite part of the report.

Michaels, thinking he was skilled enough in backstage politics to go head-to-head with Hogan

HAHA Shawn's dumbass for thinking that. Serves him right.

I was hoping the mock was some "tweener" run for HBK where he's still an ass, not just his way of 'breaking the script' or however you would like to define it. So, assuming this is the 1 out of 10 Torch gets right, I guess he'll be 100% good guy HBK next week. Oh well.

This makes me wonder if HHH tried to get the ending changed to Backlash 2002, or if he decided it was a battle he wasn't going to win, especially with Hogan's huge pops at the time, and let him have his way.

This makes me wonder if HHH tried to get the ending changed to Backlash 2002, or if he decided it was a battle he wasn't going to win, especially with Hogan's huge pops at the time, and let him have his way.

Hunter had no problems with putting Hogan over, at least no problems that he made any noise over.

Hunter had no problems with putting Hogan over, at least no problems that he made any noise over.

Well, considering it wasn't exactly a clean job, it makes me wonder if it was changed.

Well it's definately true that Hogan has creative control in his contract, I guess. That is very surprising that Vince would let him have that, after all of the BS from the past. I always figured the creative control shit Hogan was talking about in interviews was just Hogan talk....guess not. This could be something that is going to become a problem in due time. Either Hogan is going to just have to wrestle guys who can afford a loss or else it's going to be hard to do business with Hogan in the future. I can already see problems with a proposed Austin/Hogan match at Mania regarding this.

I dont know if this report said the whole story, but Keller reported in the Torch this week that there is rumors that Hogan was "allowed" the win on his terms in return for putting over Cena clean on or before Mania 22. Not sure if thats true or not though. Just what he reported as speculation of sorts.

Best for business would have been Shawn going over at SummerSlam in a screwjob of sorts, then a gimmick match at Unforgiven or even play it out and wait until Survivor Series. Hogan is nothing short of a blinded mark for himself more than ever if he couldnt accept that proposed two-match series without him going over twice in a row.

Funny when karma bites you in the ass hey shawn?

but truthfully Hogan is a complete a-hole for doing this, as Shawn, who mind you is a current full-time wrestler with WWE, had to have his finisher buried and lose convincingly to Hogan, remember shawn still has to work there while Hogan goes back trying to whore his daughter out to the music world.

Not that I should feel too bad about shawn considering his past. But none of this is really surprising to any of us is it? This is Mr Ego Hulk Hogan after all.

well at least the DC crowd ate it up. and the match wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

Funny when karma bites you in the ass hey shawn?

but truthfully Hogan is a complete a-hole for doing this, as Shawn, who mind you is a current full-time wrestler with WWE, had to have his finisher buried and lose convincingly to Hogan, remember shawn still has to work there while Hogan goes back trying to whore his daughter out to the music world.

Not that I should feel too abd about shawn considering his past.  But none of this is really surprising to any of us is it?  This is Mr Ego Hulk Hogan after all.

well at least the DC crowd ate it up.  and the match wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

I agree.

I don't much like it from either man, so they are both douche's. This explains HBK's ridiculous overselling in the match, especially the selling of the big boot to lead to the legdrop.

I watched this PPV with Dangerous_A, Darthtiki, Ced, and another former TSM poster, and DA has it right, all of us at the house were kind of miffed at the beyond stupid overselling HBK was doing through the entire match, and it really hurt the match IMO. It seemed apparent someone was pissed off about the match, the finish, the payoff, or something because HBK was overdoing it and acting like a jackass through the entire match. Not to say the fact that Hogan's in-ring ability also probably severly hampered what HBK could normally do in the ring, but it just seemed obvious HBK was mad about something that night.

Guest JMA

I can't really sympathize with Shawn here. We are talking about a guy whose backstage politicing is legendary. However, compared to Hogan, he's an amateur. Even Triple H would be powerless to stop Hogan--which is probably one (there were more) of the reasons that he left.

Anyway, Shawn's always been very over with the fans. This loss won't hurt him at all.

I can't really sympathize with Shawn here. We are talking about a guy whose backstage politicing is legendary. However, compared to Hogan, he's an amateur. Even Triple H would be powerless to stop Hogan--which is probably one (there were more) of the reasons that he left.

Anyway, Shawn's always been very over with the fans. This loss won't hurt him at all.

It hurt his heel character, as in it was impossible to go back to the way he was after he lost clean. And while it won't hurt his status in the company, there's no question it would have helped him out a lot if he won. Then whomever beat him would look much better for beating someone that pinned Hogan.

Fuck Hogan. Vince is an idiot for giving another wrestler creative control. This report still makes me happy though. At least now I know HBK didn't choose to lose himself because he really respected Hogan (HBK is pretty much the opposite of what Hogan is) or because he wants to make everyone look better than him to make up for his past or some shit.

I watched this PPV with Dangerous_A, Darthtiki, Ced, and another former TSM poster, and DA has it right, all of us at the house were kind of miffed at the beyond stupid overselling HBK was doing through the entire match, and it really hurt the match IMO. It seemed apparent someone was pissed off about the match, the finish, the payoff, or something because HBK was overdoing it and acting like a jackass through the entire match. Not to say the fact that Hogan's in-ring ability also probably severly hampered what HBK could normally do in the ring, but it just seemed obvious HBK was mad about something that night.

The match so reminded me of Hogan/Mr Perfect from SNME in 1990 with Hennig doing 360 bumps off of Hogan's punches. That's the most I've seen Shawn oversell since the Survivor Series match with Sid in 96.

Fuck Hogan. Vince is an idiot for giving another wrestler creative control. This report still makes me happy though. At least now I know HBK didn't choose to lose himself because he really respected Hogan (HBK is pretty much the opposite of what Hogan is) or because he wants to make everyone look better than him to make up for his past or some shit.

Yeah, especially in this stage in Hogan's career, where the fans only like him for nostalgia pops, Hogan winning or losing in 2005 does NOTHING positive or negative for his career, so Hogan should be glad Vince lets him back in just to show up and pimp his new tv show.

Actually, Vince and Stephanie went to battle over the finish. Stephanie booked HHH to beat Hogan, and Vince completely overrid her finish and booked Hogan to win the title.

I figured this was the right place to put it due to the guys involved:

Hulk Hogan is not expected to make a return any time soon. WWE currently has no plans for him, although it can be assumed that he will make an eventual return when the time is right.

One backstage source speculated that Vince made a deal with Hogan that if he were to get the clean win over Michaels at SummerSlam, he would eventually have to job cleanly to John Cena, prospectively at WrestleMania 22. With Hogan going clean over Michaels, and then Cena going clean over Hogan (after Michaels wasn't able to), it would help to further elevate Cena. If that was the deal between Vince and Hogan, enabling Hogan to take advantage of his "creative control" stipulation and get the clean win over Shawn, it is unknown whether or not Michaels was even aware of it.

John Cena is clearly seen by Vince as the best chance he has of creating a new top tier draw. Both Batista and Randy Orton are seen way lower than Cena in the eyes of Mr. McMahon.

Michaels, thinking he was skilled enough in backstage politics to go head-to-head with Hogan

HAHA Shawn's dumbass for thinking that. Serves him right.

It's fucking Wade Keller dude. I'm sure he knew what Shawn Michaels was fucking thinking. He wasn't in Shawn's head. Wade usually likes to make up stories. Don't make assumptions. And fuck Hulk Hogan. He is a piece of shit. At least Shawn got a great match out of Hogan that he CARRIED the whole way. Kudos to Shawn for proving his point that Hogan is a talentless immobile slug and for Shawn emerging out of the match as the "real" winner.