TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JN News

Favorite Mario Game

Personally, out of all the Mario games that I've played all my life, I'd have to say that my personal favorite was the original Mario Bros. game. The debut of Luigi.

So, what was your favorite Mario game?

Guest ABOBO

This really should have been a poll. That being said, SMB3, with RPG close behind.

EDIT: Replace RPG with Mario Kart SNES

REDIT: Actually, a poll would be hard with so many Mario games, but I'd imagine most picks will fall betweeen 6-7 games.

Guest Coffey

Well, I just played Mario Baseball for Gamecube tonight. That's certainly not it. I'm saying Super Mario World for Super Nintendo.

I *HATED* Yoshi's Island.

Super Mario World followed by Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World.

I have never played Super Mario 64 though.

I'm surprised we never got it on the commie 64.

Mario 64, followed by SMB3 and SMW.

What he said.

Mostly for pointless college year nostalgia, but honourable mention to the Mario Party series. I once tried to drunkenly hang myself at a party for dropping the ball at Leaf Leap.

Guest Evolution

From best to great:

Super Mario Bros. 3

Super Mario RPG

Mario Party (any one)

Off the top of my head:

1. Super Mario World

2. Super Mario RPG

3. Super Mario 3

4. Super Mario Kart

5. Super Mario 2

My top 5, in no particular order (although SMB 3 is certainly #1):

Super Mario Bros. 3

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Super Mario World

Mario Kart: Double Dash

Mario and Luigi: The Superstar Saga

I never owned Yoshi's Island or Super Mario RPG, and Mario 64was very good but very overrated.

Mario 64 is overrated. It was fun that first time but I never want to play it agian.

Why double dash over 64 or original?

Mario 64 is overrated. It was fun that first time but I never want to play it agian.

Why double dash over 64 or original?

I've got all three. I prefer DD slightly over the original, and both are better than MK64, although that is a great game in its own right. Can't really explain other than it's just a personal preference.

I thought the level design was kind of weak in DD. Just didn't seem as interesting.

The team thing was ok though. I always team Daisy and Peach.

It's crazy that N64 launched with just that and Pilotwings and was actually successful. Imagine if Xbox 360 launched with two games, even if one was Halo 3.

It is unreal when you think about it. However, I remember the first few weeks of release here in Australia where stores had rows of television screens hooked up to Mario 64. All that was playing was repetitive footage of Mario running in circles (even though that *does* still look hilarious), backflipping, diving etc. Still, there were always crowds of people around looking absolutely gob-smacked at what they were seeing.

...scary to think this was less than ten years ago.

Yeah, Mario 64 was good enough so it worked.

I remember there was a big shortage and I couldn't find a system. Just by coincidence Toys R Us had one on my birthday. The problem was I couldn't afford Mario since it was like 80 dollars. For a couple days I had to just look at the system without anything to play on it. I finally sold a bunch of PSX games to get Mario.

The N64 lineup was so bare I was really hyped when Cruis'n USA came out. Then there was MKT, which was better on PSX, and finally something good...KI Gold.

SMB2

I can't even explain why. The ending still pisses me off, but meh...

I agree with this.

3 and World were possibly better, but 2 had so much character :)

1) Super Mario Bros. 3 - This was THE game when I was about 9. Everyone played it to death. I can't remember another game in my years of gaming, except maybe Goldeneye, that was so popular for so long among so many people.

2) Super Mario Bros. 2 - I really liked the different style here from the other games in the series, especially how you could select four different characters to play as each with unique attributes. As such, in comparison with something like SMB1, which was obsolete when SMB3 game out, SMB2 remained interesting afterwards. On Mario All-Stars, this was the game I would usually end up playing the most. At the time it was always behind SMB3 though.

3) Super Mario World - This completes the main three and sold countless SNES's back in the day. But it wasn't as big a step up from SMB3 that it that game was to SMB1, despite the system upgrade. Most people considered SMB3 the better game at the time, let alone today.

4) Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Other than the annoying cries that occur whenever you lose Baby Mario, this game is great. Unfortunately it came out at a time where it was overshadowed by the inferior but better hyped Donkey Kong Country series. The series really needed a change like this at that point with SMB3 & SMW, as well as the Gameboy series all using the same basic gameplay.

5) Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land - The series changed into a more puzzle-based format later, but this one retains its origin in the Super Mario Land series, with different moves for Wario being the key difference. Of the portable Mario games, this is easily the best one that isn't just a port of one of the console games listed above.