TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2006: Conference Semifinals

Can we all agree that the Pistons and the Cavs are both under pressure in game 6?

I would love to, if it wasn't for some jackass who wasn't even involved in the initial discussion saying that I don't know anything about sports.

Well you don't, and you continue to show it by saying that game 3 was more important than game 6 to the team trying to end the series. In the words of Mark Twain, "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

I think it's going to Game 7. I honestly want to see a LeBron game winner in Detroit, almost in the same fashion as the Jordan one.

I want that to happen just so Rasheed will finally shut his mouth and play the game.

I think there's a good chance of that. Detroit's my 2nd favorite team behind the Clippers... but I couldn't buy them coming in and winning this series. Seriously... you cannot come in with an arrogance of that level with a young, hungry team like the Cavs.

As has been pointed out, there is like maybe one poster who has eluded to the Pistons being done. If anything, this is their MO since they've done it the last 3 years. (Miami-2005, NJ-2004, Orlando-2003) If the Cavs don't get it done tommorrow, I don't see them winning a game 7 on the road. Not saying I don't want them to win, just that I can't see them winning.

I get the feeling Dallas will take the champs out in 6 and the Clips/Suns are going to a 7 game barn burner. Who wins that series is anyone's guess if you ask me.

As a sidenote to this discussion, does anyone prefer Game 6s to Game 7s? That element of one team fighting to stay alive against a team trying to close out and not lose their momentum is so much more interesting to me than one and done.

Dallas and Cleveland have a lot to prove tomorrow. If they really want to step up to that next level, the time is now.

As a sidenote to this discussion, does anyone prefer Game 6s to Game 7s? That element of one team fighting to stay alive against a team trying to close out and not lose their momentum is so much more interesting to me than one and done.

Dallas and Cleveland have a lot to prove tomorrow. If they really want to step up to that next level, the time is now.

That's a great observation about Game 6. The motivations are a little more complicated as opposed to Game 7- which is do or die for both teams.

ESPN just had a discussion about if Lebron is the best 21 year old player in any sport ever.

The PTI guys pointed out that he's not even the best 21 year old b-ball player ever. At 21 Magic had accomplished way more than Lebron.

ESPN just had a discussion about if Lebron is the best 21 year old player in any sport ever.

The PTI guys pointed out that he's not even the best 21 year old b-ball player ever. At 21 Magic had accomplished way more than Lebron.

Answer me this, who cares?

ESPN does this. Anytime someone or something is hot, they make comparisons and whatnot.

You are your own worse enemy.

Not really... Magic was a key component on a very good team. That was Kareem's team and Magic just happened to be a very talented point guard that exceled in a good situation. He's remembered for the Game 6 performance (the best of his career), but it wasn't as if he had done a whole lot to that point (or at least nothing on the scale that Lebron has done individually). He wasn't even the Rookie of the Year.

Also, the 1980-81 season (which I think was Magics age 21 season) was one of the more disappointing Lakers seasons ever. They didn't even make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

True about the punching. But there seems to have been a lot of suspensions for flagrant fouls as well. Maybe I am just imagining it, but I wondered if there was a new rule in place so guys did not have to worry about getting mugged when they were taking it strong inside.

Holy crap, Jason Terry isn't playing in Game 6. Suspended for punching Michael Finley.

Makes sense though... I did see Finley get enraged and mouthing "he punched me" with motioning it with his arms after getting tangled up with Terry in the jump ball. He had to be restricted by Tim Duncan and Manu. I didn't see anything in the replay though... I guess it was a bad angle and TNT didn't notice.

Without Terry though, Dallas still has to close out the series this game. If they lose this game, then the Spurs have the advantage and game 7 will not be kind to the Mavs.... but it would do justice since I think everyone would love to see a game 7 in this exciting series.

True about the punching. But there seems to have been a lot of suspensions for flagrant fouls as well. Maybe I am just imagining it, but I wondered if there was a new rule in place so guys did not have to worry about getting mugged when they were taking it strong inside.

I forgot how long ago it was, but there are classifications for flagrant fouls. There are ones where if it's unecesary hard contact, depending on the officials descretion, they are assessed a tech and/or ejected. All flagrant fouls are reviewed to see whether or not the foul was just unecessary or if there was intent to harm. Obviously some people who have reputations ie Ron Artest are going to be more scrutinized than other guys who do roughly the same thing, but don't have the reputation of being overly aggressive ie Luke Walton.

Not really... Magic was a key component on a very good team. That was Kareem's team and Magic just happened to be a very talented point guard that exceled in a good situation. He's remembered for the Game 6 performance (the best of his career), but it wasn't as if he had done a whole lot to that point (or at least nothing on the scale that Lebron has done individually). He wasn't even the Rookie of the Year.

Also, the 1980-81 season (which I think was Magics age 21 season) was one of the more disappointing Lakers seasons ever. They didn't even make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

The hell it was.

But to be fair you are comparing arguably the best player ever to the guy who I believe may be able to be better. At 21 lets just say that both of them were incredibly good. Plus he was a better defender than James at that age and has a better game with his back to the basket.

I can't say who was better, but Magic's team was definately better so of course he accomplished more. And the ONLY reason he wasn't rookie of the year was because he was on a great team. Bird had a shitty team that he was able to make into a damn good team. I honestly say that roles reversed, Magic could have done the same thing. They were both that kind of player.

Since the subject of Magic came up, the first 3 things that he did which come into my mind when I think of him are...

1. The AIDS press conference. Man, that was depressing to see everyone saddened.

2. The hook shot in Boston Garden. You all know what I'm talking about.

3. His first game back from retirement, he faked the shit out of Spree. Little fake pass had Spree jumping right in front of where the fake was. My goodness, he was faked out of his shoes.

I think Kareem's the best player ever, but that's something for a different time and place.

Guest Princess Leena
Can we all agree that the Pistons and the Cavs are both under pressure in game 6?

It's not the same, though... :P

If/when it finally sinks in to the Cavs that they are on the brink of eliminating who everybody thought the champs would be, tension ensues. That's human nature.

Whereas Detroit is simply fighting for their season.

Can someone explain to me the difference between what Jason Terry did and that vicious elbow to Vince Carters ribs that Shaq threw in the exact same situation(them being tied up on the floor)?

Not saying JT shouldn't be suspended...just wondering why Shaq wasn't.

The NBA has been so inconsistant in these playoffs its unbelieveable.

Can someone explain to me the difference between what Jason Terry did and that vicious elbow to Vince Carters ribs that Shaq threw in the exact same situation(them being tied up on the floor)?

Not saying JT shouldn't be suspended...just wondering why Shaq wasn't.

The NBA has been so inconsistant in these playoffs its unbelieveable.

Carter=Name

Terry=No-name.

That's basically what it comes down to.

Perhaps Terry was mad he got tackled by two guys and all he got out of it was a jump ball....

And since the refs had let more transpire without blowing the whistle, I had no problem with it being a no call.

Well...the suns finally get rest and they are going to be in another war on Monday. The Clippers are due a ass whippin in this series and I hope that Monday is the day. Important thing is I get to sleep every night till Monday. Hoorah.

If the Clippers stick to the script of going inside for 48 minutes, they can win the series. If they deviate, you get a repeat of either Game 1 or Game 5 depending on when the deviation occurs.

I'm very interested in Both games tomorrow.

I want both series that play tomorrow to go to another game, for my own personal viewing pleasure. If not, that's fine too.

I just want to get home from a long day and watch great basketball.

I want both series that play tomorrow to go to another game, for my own personal viewing pleasure. If not, that's fine too.

I just want to get home from a long day and watch great basketball.

Very much seconded.

Scottie Pippen just said on ESPN that if he had to choose to have someone on his team between Lebron right now and Jordan when they beat the Cavaliers in 89, he would pick Lebron. I'm interested in hearing what your opinion is on this, Dama.