TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

TWiB 7/17 - 7/23

Sorry to dominate the board with more Sox news, but here are there the terms of the contract extension Josh Beckett signed with Red Sox. Good deal in light of what inferior pitchers like AJ Burnett and Pavano got on the open market.

The total guaranteed value of Beckett's contract is $30 million. Here's how it breaks down:

$2 million signing bonus

$6 million salary for 2007

$9.5 million salary for 2008

$10.5 million salary for 2009

$12 million at club option for 2010. The option becomes automatic if Beckett makes 28 starts in 2009 or he has a total of 56 starts in 2008 and 2009.

Anibal Sanchez followed up his 7 shutout innings of 2 hit ball against Roger Clemens by throwing 7 shutout innings of one hit ball this afternoon.

How are Red Sox fans feeling about this trade? Beckett has been good, but it appears they gave up two studs and Harvey Garcia and Jesus Delgado are lighting up the minors.

How are Red Sox fans feeling about this trade? Beckett has been good, but it appears they gave up two studs and Harvey Garcia and Jesus Delgado are lighting up the minors.

I'm still okay with the trade, but it doesn't look as good now as it did when it happened, mainly because of Beckett's struggles and the amazing rookie season of Ramirez. But at the time Hanley Ramirez was really slipping down the organizational depth chart, and with Pedroia leapfrogging him and still projecting as a SS, it was time to move him while there was still value.

Sanchez is the one that hurt to give up, but you have to trade value to get value. A couple of good starts in the NL does not make him the equal of Beckett. Plus the sunk cost of the deal (Mike Lowell) has played better than any of the major names, which has really solidified the offense and defense of this year's squad. I don't think the Red Sox are in first place this year without the deal, and I still think they will be the winners in the long run.

Hillenbrand criticizes Blue Jays, waits to be traded

TORONTO (AP) -- Shea Hillenbrand criticized the Toronto Blue Jays on Wednesday and said he expects to be traded.

"I love my teammates here, but I'm waiting to be traded," Hillenbrand said during a profanity-filled tirade. "I should have been traded two months ago."

Hillenbrand was upset that nobody in Toronto's front office congratulated him for adopting a baby girl last weekend. The Blue Jays' designated hitter left the team last Friday to be with his family and didn't return until Tuesday.

"They wonder why they are not winning," Hillenbrand said. "It's the atmosphere."

Hillenbrand, left out of the starting lineup Wednesday night, added that he should have just stayed home.

He's not on the bench tonight, and there's a big red line through his name on the line-up card in the Jays dugout.

Not that it matters, but even when he's been hot, Matt Murton's still fighting for starts with the over-the-top Phil Nevin and career minor leaguer, Angel Pagan.

The YES Network is showing Williamsport/Staten Island. SI has a beautiful view past their outfield wall.

I've been to that park and it has a tremendous setting right on the water.

The latest gem from Dusty after refusing on Ryne Sandberg's comments about the Cubs not taking infield practice anymore:

“I’m not the one who invented it; don’t ask me,” Baker said. “We took infield (when Baker was a player). I didn’t like taking it back then, but we took it. Why they don’t take it, I really don’t know. I can’t answer that.”

If I'm a casual reader, that last comment makes Dusty sound like some guy and not the manager of the team whose reasons for not taking infield practice are unknown to him.

Hillenbrand criticizes Blue Jays, waits to be traded

TORONTO (AP) -- Shea Hillenbrand criticized the Toronto Blue Jays on Wednesday and said he expects to be traded.

"I love my teammates here, but I'm waiting to be traded," Hillenbrand said during a profanity-filled tirade. "I should have been traded two months ago."

Hillenbrand was upset that nobody in Toronto's front office congratulated him for adopting a baby girl last weekend. The Blue Jays' designated hitter left the team last Friday to be with his family and didn't return until Tuesday.

"They wonder why they are not winning," Hillenbrand said. "It's the atmosphere."

Hillenbrand, left out of the starting lineup Wednesday night, added that he should have just stayed home.

He's not on the bench tonight, and there's a big red line through his name on the line-up card in the Jays dugout.

Um...what?

Whenever a player starts to refer to their team as "they," though, it's time to go. Not good at all. And, of course, they're going to get nothing for him now.

Damn, 2-run HR by DeRosa to tie it for Texas. Janssen was sailing though the game until that point.

Um...what?

Whenever a player starts to refer to their team as "they," though, it's time to go. Not good at all. And, of course, they're going to get nothing for him now.

More on the Hillenbrand thing:

A furious Shea Hillenbrand sat inside the Blue Jays clubhouse during Wednesday night’s game against the Texas Rangers and refused to join his teammates in the dugout.

Hillenbrand was seething after Jays manager John Gibbons spoke at a closed-door clubhouse meeting and apparently criticized the designated hitter in front of the entire team. Reached by cellphone inside the clubhouse during the second inning, Hillenbrand said the manager was unhappy with some of his conduct during the pre-game workout and let everyone know it.

“Gibby called a team meeting and then he stood up and reamed me out in front of my teammates,’’ Hillenbrand said. “I’m very disappointed about what he did and I find it very unprofessional.’’

It wasn’t clear exactly what would have prompted Gibbons to criticize Hillenbrand. The DH did say he and two teammates had been "fooling around’’ a bit, but that it was nothing that warranted such a severe response.

Hillenbrand declined to elaborate further, other than to say that: “I’m not going to the dugout.’’

I think Maddux just won his 15th Gold Glove with this game against my 'Stros. He's made 7 plays. This game's actually living up to the billing, as Clemens and Maddux are dueling, whereas last year, if I recall correctly, neither one pitched extremely well, or as well as might be expected.

Juan Uribe was really the difference-maker in that game. Had he gone for the easy double-play, the game would've been tied, but the possibility of the slam would've been out of the question.

Well, I think this is it for the Jays season. Unless they can sweep the Yanks and the Sox completely fall off the table, their playoff chances seem to be out the window. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Gonna suck, though, knowing if things turn out the way they are now, they'll be better than about half the teams that end up making the playoffs.

So uh...the Padres released Vinny Castilla. Methinks Morgan Ensberg will be relocating to the West Coast soon. On AOL Sports, they have the top 15 Free Agents and the supposed "best chances" to score them, and the 'Stros are listed as the most likely to get Scott Linebrink, who I see a very good possibility of them getting...for Ensberg...and pre-season Astros' conversation piece Miguel Tejada, presumably for Lidge and Everett; at least that was the deal before the season started.

Somehow the Phillies are gonna end tonight only 5 back of the WC, with like 10 teams to jump.

I just hope this does not give the front office a false hope that this team is actually better than it is. Then, they won't make any moves before the trade deadline and we're stuck with the same group until the end of the season.

So uh...the 'Stros won. Clemens got his 2nd win of the season after pitching 6 3-hit shutout innings. But the real reason I posted this is...

Does anybody know what to make of...this product:

Uh...yeah.

I never knew Matt Ginter played such wicked banjo.

This Reds/Mets game is tighter than I thought, After giving up 4 runs in the first 2 the game gets delayed some 2hrs for rain and the Reds have tied it up into the bottom of the 7th.

What the hell? Tom Hanks and Ron Howard are at the Reds/Mets game!?!

Oh Say Can You Sing is the "negative example" that Peter Gammons new CD is constantly being mentioned as being "way better than."

Apparently it's pretty much a disaster.

So uh...the Padres released Vinny Castilla. Methinks Morgan Ensberg will be relocating to the West Coast soon. On AOL Sports, they have the top 15 Free Agents and the supposed "best chances" to score them, and the 'Stros are listed as the most likely to get Scott Linebrink, who I see a very good possibility of them getting...for Ensberg...and pre-season Astros' conversation piece Miguel Tejada, presumably for Lidge and Everett; at least that was the deal before the season started.

How about Morgan and Everett to SD for Linebrink and Khalil Greene, then Greene and Lidge for Tejada? I figure Baltimore will want some offense to offset the loss of Tejada and I figure Greene's more likely to provide it than Everett.

The only problem I have is if Baltimore wants someone like Hunter Pence. I can see them wanting him thrown in and I'd be hesitant to throw in someone who at 22 has moved up the traditionally slow Astros minor league system. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker though IF the Astros can get Tejada to agree to an extension.