TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

Guest NYankees

Is there a list for what ps1 and ps2 games work on the 80 gb PS3? I am looking to buy Final Fantasy 7 but I dont want to spend 50 dollars on a 10 year old used game if it is not going to work.

I'm probably way late on this, but I just discovered Everyday Shooter, and it's excellent. Great level design, neat retro graphics and music that really fits well with the levels. Definitely my favorite Geometry Wars style game. It's only $10, too, so everyone should get it. :)

Uncharted is pretty god damn sweet. And Blacksite:Area 51 is the first time I ever played a FPS and didn't feel like throwing up all over the place after it caused a massive headache.

Decent games, neither makes me think they are worth 60 bucks.

Is there a list for what ps1 and ps2 games work on the 80 gb PS3? I am looking to buy Final Fantasy 7 but I dont want to spend 50 dollars on a 10 year old used game if it is not going to work.

All PS1 games work, in theory. There's like one in a thousand that may not or has issues (Tomba! and Tomba! 2 had some weird issues, so I assume they would have problems still).

There's a searchable database to look up PS2 game compatibility:

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Yesterday I traded in Assassins Creed(Very good game, but I am the type that turns them in after I beat them to get max trade-in value) for Uncharted.

Damn this game is sweet. I would imagine it would have it's own thread if more people on this forum had a PS3.(Then again maybe a brief thread about it did appear right when it came out, I can't remember though!?!) I just did the jeep mission(first and...only!?!) and when I get home from work I will be starting on the mission that starts right after you fall down the waterfall in the jeep......this game looks awesome. The graphics are amazing, lots of bright beautiful backgrounds, the gameplay is great. The gun battles are challenging, not quite as "hard" as advertised, but I guess that all depends on your style of play. If you are like me, willing to crouch and hide behind things in order to save ammo and wait for better shots(head shots) it decreases some of the difficulty, although if you try and just run out guns blazin' I am sure you are going to die a bunch of times during gun battles. Also, it really does have the "playing a movie" feel to it.

Wow, it felt like the one-player campaign mode in Unreal Tournament III would never end. Finally beat it...but that storyline, yeesh.

The Multiplayer is fun though. Not crazy about Warfare but I'm loving Deathmatch and Capture the Flag.

Just beat Uncharted last night.....the game has cost me getting proper rest for work, but I just couldn't put it down once I had a sense that the end of the game was getting closer.

Awesome game, I hope Naughty Dog makes a sequel before they go back to the Jak & Dexter series.

I am not sure what I should trade it in for. My first thought was Ratchet & Clank, but I think that game might be turning up in the used section pretty soon....for how much I'm not sure.

Awesome game, I hope Naughty Dog makes many sequels and never go back to the Jak & Daxter series.

Oh, and Resistance 2 has a Game Informer cover story.

Any of the PS3 owners have Resistence? It got really good reviews, but I missed it because I didn't have a PS3 until last November. The preview for Resistence 2 looks ridiculously awesome, and I kind of want to play through the first one to get a good idea of the storyline/characters......any idea how much it is selling for used? Is it compatible with the usb headphones?

Guest Smues
Sony to discontinue 80GB PS3, says retailer memo

by Blake Snow | 01/24/2008 | 3:55:28 PM PST print comments [ 181 ] digg this! Share on Facebook Best Buy will discontinue the sale of the $499 PlayStation 3 on January 28, says an alleged store "closeout" memo obtained by PS3 Fanboy.

"The 80GB version of the PS3 is going closeout and won't be replaced at this time," reads the unverified memo. "Only the 40GB version of PS3 will be sold in Best Buy stores at this time."

As the memorandum notes, "this means that there currently isn't a version that is PS2 compatible."

Of the three major game territories, North America is the only location currently supporting a multi-system lineup. Both Japan and the U.K. have already dropped former models to support a single, and cheaper 40GB model that lacks backward compatibility.

Sony of America abandoned the 20GB and 60GB PS3 models last year, leaving two available models: 40GB ($399) and 80GB ($499) versions, the latter of which uses software to playback a limited number of PS2 titles.

Sony was not immediately available for comment.

Sony - We really have NO idea what we're doing with the Playstation 3, but we hope you'll pay for it anyway!

Guest Smues

"Sir, despite our efforts people are buying the 80gb model and not the 40gb model."

"God damned Americans. It is SO much easier to tell people what to think in Japan. Alright stop producing the 80gb model. Start production on our 52.94gb model."

"The one that only plays games that were purchased at full price but has really cool looking menus?"

"Yeah that's the one."

Hey, maybe BC is important to people after all?

I think the next step is to completely cease PS2 production. What's really funny is that the PS2 refuses to die, and part of it is that the Wii is helping to keep PS2 releases (i.e. Wii + PS2) a viable option for publishers. Mostly all that's coming out is licensed games and budget releases, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a PS2 Madden '09.

What do you mean, you wouldn't be shocked if there's a PS2 Madden '09? Of course there will be. This is the easiest no-brainer in gaming. This year's version sold almost 2 million. EA was making Madden for PS1 up until 2004. You do the math. If there's no Madden for PS2 this year I'll cut my penis off.

What do you mean, you wouldn't be shocked if there's a PS2 Madden '09? Of course there will be. This is the easiest no-brainer in gaming. This year's version sold almost 2 million. EA was making Madden for PS1 up until 2004. You do the math. If there's no Madden for PS2 this year I'll cut my penis off.

Quoted for preservation.

PS2 wasn't getting murdered by competition *and* PS1 alike then.

Well, there appears to be some method to Sony's madness. 80GB apparently will be discontinued in favor of...another model with a larger hard drive:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232955

If that is true, that would make Sony the dumbest company in the history of the fucking world. So you would phase out the top selling unit to make the hardrive bigger(in other words, cost MORE to produce) and sell it at the same price point?

That can't be a true story. I think they are seeing that BC is important to people, and they are going to charge more for the bigger hard drive. They can't be dumb enough to drive up production cost on something that was selling already.

Guest Smues
Well, there appears to be some method to Sony's madness. 80GB apparently will be discontinued in favor of...another model with a larger hard drive:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232955

Sony - Did we tell you that we had NO idea what we were doing with the Playstation 3? We can NOT stress that enough. We're clueless, please keep giving us your money because we tell you too!

I do doubt the validity of that report though. Why would the PS3 need THREE ethernet ports?

So I have a USB hub hooked into one of the USB slots on my PS3 and the controllers will work and so will the headphones, but the guitar remote won't and the controllers won't charge unless directly connected. I wonder if it is because I bought a cheaper-line USB hub, or if that is just the way it is with those devices .

dont feel like going through the 47 pages of this thread, but quick question. can or will the ps3 play your own music for games like the xbox. went through a few other sites and did not get a definite answer. thanks.

Not yet, will be added in a future Firmware update (*supposedly*). Super Stardust HD has this ability now but as far as I know it's the only game so far.

So I have a USB hub hooked into one of the USB slots on my PS3 and the controllers will work and so will the headphones, but the guitar remote won't and the controllers won't charge unless directly connected. I wonder if it is because I bought a cheaper-line USB hub, or if that is just the way it is with those devices .

Well I checked the PS3 forums and my question has been answered. Basically most modern periphrials require too much energy to be charged/function via a usb hub without it's own power supply.....that is why for instance a controller can be used via a powerless hub yet it won't charge through that same connection, and why the headset will work but the guitar hero 3 wireless adapter won't.

So basically I just need to go pick up a usb hub that has it's own power supply.

My PS2 that I've had since 2002 is about to die. I'm thinking I want to just replace it with a slim PS2, though a part of me feels like it might be smarter just to get a PS3 instead. The two things holding me back from that is 1) it's expensive and 2) only the 40g (no backwards compatibility) is available right now.

My PS2 that I've had since 2002 is about to die. I'm thinking I want to just replace it with a slim PS2, though a part of me feels like it might be smarter just to get a PS3 instead. The two things holding me back from that is 1) it's expensive and 2) only the 40g (no backwards compatibility) is available right now.

There is a rumor that the PS3 will become backwards compatible with a firmware update soon....*cross your fingers*

So with Blu-ray officially winning the format war with HD-DVD, and Blu-ray's huge installed base advantage because of the PS3 being a big part of the reason why, is the decision to go with Blu-ray despite the cost looking like less of a disaster? Might we look back five years from now and think that Sony actually knew what they were doing?

So with Blu-ray officially winning the format war with HD-DVD, and Blu-ray's huge installed base advantage because of the PS3 being a big reason why, is the decision to go with Blu-ray despite the cost looking like less of a disaster? Might we look back five years from now and think that Sony actually knew what they were doing?

EDIT: Nevermind.