TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

A kid like Telfair would be crazy not to carry a gun around when he's in New York. Now driving without a license is stupid, and having an unregistered gun if that's the case is real stupid, but it's obvious the Celtics are just using this as an excuse to get rid of him because he didn't pan out as a player. They stood by Tony Allen through his shit and their ownership wouldn't make those statements if it was Paul Pierce or Wally Szerbiak in that situation, so boo to the Celtics for the way they handled this.

I still think Telfair can be a quality NBA player, but Boston turned out to be a horrible fit.

I agree they are looking for a reason to drop him. he is stupid for providing it.

But I don't blame him for having a gun. He is Marbury's cousin.

You can set your watch to Marbury getting robbed in the offseason at a stop light at gunpoint. They are targets, but you have to go about everything the right way.

Guest Richard McBeef

Is Carlisle just a prick or something? Why does he keep getting fired from teams that he does relatively well with?

I wouldn't mind Cousinbury on the Knicks, but he's really not better than Nate or Collins. Better distributor than Nate yeah, but Nate is better at everything else.

I think indiana's players got to the point where they just need a change, a new system, etc. Larry Bird himself used to say that after 3 years, people start tuning out their coach.

Some crappy team out there that desperately needs to learn defense should snap him up though. The Celtics are as good a team as any, though they have so many youngsters, Carlisle isn't really known as a "young guy development" type coach. There are a ton of others.

Guest Vitamin X

You guys aren't going to believe this shit.

76ers give Brown permission to interview with Grizzlies

April 25, 2007

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Larry Brown hopes to return to coaching -- again.

The Hall of Fame coach received permission from the Philadelphia 76ers to interview for the Memphis Grizzlies' vacancy, a team spokesman said. Brown reportedly was to meet with Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley on Wednesday.

Grizzlies spokeswoman Stacey Mitch referred calls about the search to Stan Meadows, senior corporate counsel for the team. A message left at Meadows' office after business hours wasn't immediately returned.

Fired by the New York Knicks before last season, Brown returned to the 76ers as an executive vice president in January amid rumors he would eventually replace Maurice Cheeks. But team president Billy King said Cheeks will be back next season, so Brown is looking elsewhere for an opportunity. He even considered Princeton before the Ivy League school hired Sydney Johnson to replace Joe Scott.

The Grizzlies went from a playoff team a year ago to the NBA's worst record this season at 22-60. Coach Mike Fratello was fired in December and replaced on an interim basis by Tony Barone Sr. Earlier this month, Jerry West said he would step down as director of basketball operations July 1 at the end of his contract.

The 66-year-old Brown has won nearly everywhere he's been. And, he's been all over the country, coaching 11 teams in the ABA, NCAA and NBA. He won an NCAA national championship at Kansas (1988) and an NBA title in Detroit (2004). He also coached at UCLA.

In Philadelphia, Brown had his longest coaching tenure, 1997-2003. Despite occasional feuds with star Allen Iverson, Brown guided the 76ers to the NBA finals in 2001.

He left Philadelphia for the Pistons after the 2002-03 season, even though he had two years left on a contract that paid him $6 million a season. The 76ers released him from a contractual clause that prohibited him from coaching another NBA team if he left Philadelphia prematurely.

Brown clashed with team president Isiah Thomas in his only season in New York. He was fired by the Knicks last June after going 23-59 and received an $18.5 million payout from the team.

The best thing about this story is how they randomly got quotes from Mike James and Alan Henderson. Who the fuck chose those two to get a quote from?

And the mystery as to why the Knicks couldn't win a championship in the 90's is finally discovered.

Seriously, the Knicks didn't have a white player since like Phil Jackson for awhile there.

But it turns out that because Bill Wennington, Luc Longly, Toni Kukoc, Steve Kerr, John Paxon, Jack Haley, Jud Buchler (and his chest hair) and Will Purdue (I know I am forgetting someone) were on the Bulls they got more calls thus beat the all black Knicks.

Guest Smues

Bias against black people, but it's shown with stastics. God I wish this was related to baseball and not basketball so I could watch Joe Morgan's head explode.

going off memory in the 90's the Knicks had

Chris Dudley

Scott Brooks

Brad Lohaus

and I think that's it

I think it was Brooks that broke the streak. We all called him Token. I should sue South Park.

Seems a little early for NY Times to jump on this study when it hasn't been peer reviewed or published in a journal. Who knows if their methodology will hold up under scrutiny?

EDIT: Looks like the NBA is pissed as well.

See, if Isiah had never traded Van Horn, maybe the Knicks would have got some of those calls at the end of games, and got enough wins to get in the playoffs.

Guest Queen Leelee
going off memory in the 90's the Knicks had

Chris Dudley

Scott Brooks

Brad Lohaus

and I think that's it

Greg Kite! Matt Fish! Some guy with a Q, I can't remember.

Guest Richard McBeef

Hey, speaking of idiocy and the New York Knicks, where's naiwf?