TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Wrestlefreak

Armageddon 2006 Thread

Yeah, okay...it's sad in the regard that they have damn good in-ring talent that isn't allowed to shine, but the match is good. I watched it a few weeks ago and still enjoyed it immensely. Not to say I didn't enjoy something like Punk/Joe II or Nigel/Danielson more...but I'm strictly talking WWE.

Aside from Angle/Benoit in '03, I can't recall the last time WWE offered a legitimate claim for a MOTY post 1997.

What's your opinion on HHH/Foley from RR in 2000? Or the three ways between Benoit/HBK/HHH?

The three ways is greatly overvalued because of the emotional sting of the WMXX. The second one was probably better as far as the quality of the match but lacked the punch. It was good and probably one of the better WM main events ever but it was so far behind for MOTY because that was a rare year where one match was far and away the MOTY. It still holds up on the emotional level regardless of hindsight. The street fight, to me is HHH's best work and one of Foley's greatest performences which is tremendous considering not just the high level of quality they each have but just for that year alone.

I've decided to hold off and get this ppv Tuesday. If they had announced the 4 Way Ladder Match for the Tag Titles, I would have ordered it live.

It seems to me that a lot of people that didn't buy would have if they had announced this match earlier. Cena was the main reason I didn't order it from the start though.

Just get a DL or wait for the DVD which will be out in 3 weeks.

So the message now is "Order our PPVs, there might be a prize inside?"

Probably, but I take it as order the Smackdown brand PPVs, skip the rest. It is no coincidence that the four best WWE PPVs this year are all Smackdown ones.

I've gone to the sports bar for every PPV since Unforgiven 2002, but haven't been motivated to go to the last four WWE/ECW PPVs now. I might've foregone what ended up being a dull KC/SD game to see that ladder match with the wild-ass bar crowd.

Guest samoapunk
I've decided to hold off and get this ppv Tuesday. If they had announced the 4 Way Ladder Match for the Tag Titles, I would have ordered it live.

It seems to me that a lot of people that didn't buy would have if they had announced this match earlier. Cena was the main reason I didn't order it from the start though.

Just get a DL or wait for the DVD which will be out in 3 weeks.

That's the main reason I hardly ever buy ppv's. It cost $40 to see them live and you can wait about 3 weeks and buy the thing on dvd with all kinds of extras plus sometimes an extra free dvd (like the Rey Mysterio 619 with WM 22) for $18 or less at Wal-Mart.

I didn't order this show because the matches were all stuff we've already seen, just gimmicked up for no reason. If the the ladder stipulation and the Hardyz/MNM were announced beforehand, I would have ordered it.

It pisses me off that WWE does this, while on cards that genuinely interest me on paper and I spend my money on like Summerslam and Survivor Series the booking and matches are completely retarded.

Armageddon will now probably get a low buyrate, and something that I would have actually enjoyed watching won't happen again because god knows that having a PPV headlined with a fucking thrown-together tag match instead of a title match couldn't possibly be the reason for it.

Yeah, okay...it's sad in the regard that they have damn good in-ring talent that isn't allowed to shine, but the match is good. I watched it a few weeks ago and still enjoyed it immensely. Not to say I didn't enjoy something like Punk/Joe II or Nigel/Danielson more...but I'm strictly talking WWE.

Aside from Angle/Benoit in '03, I can't recall the last time WWE offered a legitimate claim for a MOTY post 1997.

What's your opinion on HHH/Foley from RR in 2000? Or the three ways between Benoit/HBK/HHH?

The three ways is greatly overvalued because of the emotional sting of the WMXX. The second one was probably better as far as the quality of the match but lacked the punch. It was good and probably one of the better WM main events ever but it was so far behind for MOTY because that was a rare year where one match was far and away the MOTY. It still holds up on the emotional level regardless of hindsight. The street fight, to me is HHH's best work and one of Foley's greatest performences which is tremendous considering not just the high level of quality they each have but just for that year alone.

You want to take a stab at Edge/Rey v. Benoit/Angle from No Mercy '02? Or Austin/Angle from Summerslam '01? The former won MOTY from the Observer.

98 and 99 are the only years that the WWE didn't offer a legitimate MOTY candidate since 1997, and you can even say that Austin/Foley from Over The Edge '98 was arguably the best match on American soil.

Yea, they really might as well go ahead and end the brand split. It's pretty much dead. SD Cena was there because he was supposedly "invited" by Batista, according to Cole...yea..but how the hell do Johnny Nitro and Jeff Hardy keep appearing on other shows, not RAW? Something special in their contract or something? Yea, exactly.

It just needs to be ended.

I can handle a few guys crossing over and such like this isn't bugging me I think it's just because they had s many PPV's right in a row......However I don't want the split ended, I can't handle 5 fucking hours of DX.

That match was fantastic, especially considering the two men involved.

That match was really, really boring to me. I remember watching it because so many people said it was MOTY. I watched it and thought they were all crazy.

I don't get the Angle/Taker hate, but whatever floats your boat. I think it's the best match WWE has put out in years, at least going back to Eddie/Lesnar at NWO 04.

That ladder match here was choice, though. Guys get props for bringing character development and a logical story into a match that should've been a huge mess. Instead, they made everything work, and probably with very little time to prepare. This was not your typical WWE ladder spotfest, and was much better because of it.

Wow. I can't believe they wasted the 4 Way Ladder Match on a brand PPV, unannounced. With The Hardyz and MNM (both more popular with the general fanbase than London/Kendrick and Regal/Taylor) as the two unannounced teams and a stipluation that, to the best of my knowledge, they've never done before.

Should boost the DVD sales, but still, yet another bonehead move.

Just watched the PPV.

Seriously, Mercury's face and the replays of the ladder shot had me like "OH MY GOD..HO-LY SHIT" for minutes.

Regal & Taylor doing nothing and being so scared of climbing was brilliant.

Awesome match.

KENDRICK KILLS HIMSELF, LANDS ON NECK attempting Sliced Bread #2 off the top of ladder on Regal. Then cut to shot of Regal "unconscious". One of the most "dangerous" ladder matches I've ever seen. Fantastic.

I have a question that is probably silly to the extreme:

Anyone who has seen the London vs. Bentley ROH ladder matches, how did this match compare?

it was cool to see the ladder match in person :)

The crowd was very surprised to see the Hardys and MNM. After that, it was blah. Cena was the star without a doubt.

Hawk,

How about Benoit/Austin from 5/31/01 (not 100% on the date) or the Benoit/Jericho vs. HHH/Austin? Basically, what matches from say, 2000 would you dub at **** or a MOTYC?

The ladder match was awesome! Chavo/Benoit was solid. Taker/Kennedy was good. Yang/Helms wasn't bad. Cena/Batista-Booker/Finlay was mediocre.

Overall, Another good PPV from Smackdown!

I wonder if they were testing the replay buys factor based on word of mouth reviews?

They did that 7 years ago at the same PPV when Miss Kitty lost her top :)

sounds like a good PPV but with 3 world champs in WWE now....there should NEVER be a PPV without a world title match...at least one

The more I thought about this the more I am pissed at WWE. How stupid can they be to toss a ladder match onto a PPV unannounced, especially with it being guys we haven't seen in such a match before (London/Kendrick, Regal/Taylor) and guys we know will kill themselves out there (Hardys, MNM)? As far as buying the DVD or whatever, why do that? I have WWE 24/7 so I'll just wait until they eventually show Armageddon on there and get a DVD recording of it.

--From last night, the announced injury and hospitalization of MVP was obviously a work. The injury to Joey Mercury obviously was not. He had four fractures on the inside of his nose, needed 20 stitches and his left eye was swollen shut. The current speculation is he'll be out about two months. No other injuries were serious, although Brian Kendrick's rib was hurting after the botched shiranui off the ladder.

I hope they think it was worth it for a surprise match that might have drawn some buys had they announced it ahead of time.

This video has been removed at the request of copyright owner World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. because its content was used without permission

I can't fucking believe some of you. You throw a fucking hissy fit because they hotshotted a great match onto a PPV without any prior notice. Since when should any of you give a fuck? Most of you don't like the WWE product right now anyways. They took a risk to try to make the PPV seem more special. Since when should any of us give a fuck about the marketing or advertising? We are the ones who were given that match out of nowhere. Why not just fucking appreciate it for what it was, a great match? Some of you will nitpick any fucking thing.