TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

TUF VI: Welterweights

Coaches: Matt Serra and Matt Hughes

Don't want to go into the UFC 70 thread due to fear of spoilers but this was just announced during the Spike broadcast.

RETURN OF THE FOOTSTOMP!

While I am pumped to see Hughes revert back to his awesome coaching style from TUF 2 I think it's pretty weak sauce that we're going to have to wait until fucking OCTOBER for the next WW title fight. I can understand the mentality behind the coaching move, though as Serra (whodathunkit?) of all people is their biggest TUF success story and Hughes is not only the #1 Contender but somebody Serra has wanted to fight for a while. Why, I'm not sure. Yoda's gonna get pounded the fuck out.

While I will of course watch this, I'd rather get through season 5 without having to think about 6 for a little while.

I'd love to see Serra jaw jack with Hughes though.

While I am pumped to see Hughes revert back to his awesome coaching style from TUF 2 I think it's pretty weak sauce that we're going to have to wait until fucking OCTOBER for the next WW title fight. I can understand the mentality behind the coaching move, though as Serra (whodathunkit?) of all people is their biggest TUF success story and Hughes is not only the #1 Contender but somebody Serra has wanted to fight for a while. Why, I'm not sure. Yoda's gonna get pounded the fuck out.

Yeah, but I believe we also gave Serra no chance against GSP. He's got a lot of time to train against Matt the Dick.

Hughes isn't going to fuck around standing with Serra.

Well, I hope he learned from getting fucked up against GSP. Maybe against Serra he'll try to out jiu-jitsu him.

My prediction is Serra gets bloodied up a bit, pounded a lot, cut open...and wins with a triangle choke off his back in the 3rd or 4th round :)

IV was called the Comeback well he came back took names kicked ass and foot-stomped his way to being the UFC welterweight champion of the world. Or you could consider Serra as one of the many assistant coaches/trainers of season 4. I predict Matt Serra to win after dominated the second round with so many suplexes that you would think that he was Taz oh yes Matt Hughes will get dropped on his head for the KTFO Matt Lindland ref stoppage.

How do you go from being a contestant on TUF IV to being a coach on TUF VI?

Maybe by winning the welterweight championship, did you ever think about that?

Matt Serra is a good coach and will be the better coach on the show. Matt Hughes is going to pound Matt Serra to a late round stoppage IMO, I dont think Serra is going to be able to compete at the pace of the fight Matt is going to be pushing in the late rounds. It's not to say I'll be counting out Serra, because I've certainly learnt my lesson.

Matt Serra is a good coach and will be the better coach on the show. Matt Hughes is going to pound Matt Serra to a late round stoppage IMO, I dont think Serra is going to be able to compete at the pace of the fight Matt is going to be pushing in the late rounds. It's not to say I'll be counting out Serra, because I've certainly learnt my lesson.

Serra also seems like a genuinely nice guy. Which is more than I can say about Hughes, really.

But as far as coaching goes, it can all depend on who you pick and what you have to work with. On TUF2 Hughes seemed to pick guys who were a bit more ready, whereas Ace mostly picked guys who seemed more raw (Jorge and Jardine were exceptions). That worked well for Hughes on the welterweight end, not so much with the heavyweights. How much of that was due to the HWs being chunky LHWs, I don't know. I figure Hughes will go with the same strategy and pick the more polished guys. There probably won't be a project like Corey Hill or Matt Hammill on his team.

On TUF4, Team Mojo came about by chance, but with Serra as the de facto coach they won 7 of 8 prelim matches. I think that it's hard to gauge how Serra did in the training since these guys were all supposed veterans, but his influence as cornerman was obvious during the fights - you might as well mark "hammahfist" down as a Team Serra strategy for TUF6.

Definitely, it will be interesting to see how things turn out here.

Man, nobody's mentioned the political aspect of this season yet?

We've got Serra, from NYC with Hillary 'Hill-Dawg' Clinton taking on Hughes, from Illinois, with Barack 'Da Bomba' Obama in his corner. Should be great.

We've got Serra, from NYC with Hillary 'Hill-Dawg' Clinton taking on Hughes, from Illinois, with Barack 'Da Bomba' Obama in his corner. Should be great.

What are you trying to do, make me root for Hughes?

What are you trying to do, make me root for Hughes?

No kidding, no way would Matt Hughes ever vote for a black president anyway!

Frank Trigg has made an offer to Serra to be his wrestling coach on the show. Serra and Frank smack talking Dickhead Hughes would make great tv

Funny thing is Trigg would look like an idiot smack talking Matt Hughes, because Hughes pwned twice.

Frank Trigg has made an offer to Serra to be his wrestling coach on the show. Serra and Frank smack talking Dickhead Hughes would make great tv

Funny thing is Trigg would look like an idiot smack talking Matt Hughes, because Hughes pwned twice.

All the more reason to have Trigg around talking smack to Hughes, as far as I'm concerned...

Matt Hughes will train his boys in the art of spinning back fists and rear naked chokes. Team Serra is dust.

If Serra brings Trigg as a co-coach, it'd be cool if Hughes brought Shonie Carter in as a special coach. Carter and Hughes go back.

Matt Hughes will train his boys in the art of spinning back fists and rear naked chokes. Team Serra is dust.

If Serra brings Trigg as a co-coach, it'd be cool if Hughes brought Shonie Carter in as a special coach. Carter and Hughes go back.

I suppose the next suggestion would be Dennis Hallman as guest coach for Team Serra?

Story on the main page of UFC Junkie has Team Tomkins fighter Chris "The Menace" Clements on this show. This does, of course, conflict with TKO's recent announcement that Clements will battle for the vacant TKO WW title at their Sept 30th Apocalypse show.