TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
UseTheSledgehammerUh

The OAO Tribute to Chris Benoit Raw Thread.

FYI, Meltzer did change his Monday update to reflect the fact that Raw will be on at 9pm, not 8pm, in Canada. I was originally going to jokingly gloat about this but I don't really care to do that now.

As someone said, the live crowd is going to be extremely confused now with the line blurred. Vince being out there might make it clear this is real but some may not believe it and think it's an angle. Most of them were already there when this was reported.

This whole situation on every level is fucked up. Two wrestling greats are gone, a child is dead and the crowd in attendance may not know how to react to it so they both at least get a proper send-off.

Just....fuck.

Mentioned it in the other thread, but Vince should make an appearance at the start of the show to announce Chris' passing and clearly draw the line between an angle and real life. Chris deserves a real tribute.

This is really sad and depressing... I have a poster on my wall from Wrestlemania XX that has Eddie doing his Frog Splash and Benoit doing his diving headbutt.

They were 2 of my favorites and now they're both gone... Sometimes I wish I wasn't a wrestling fan, this shit is too painful.

And this is just speculation, but I hope it wasn't murder-suicide...

It may be bad for business, but RAW needs to start with Vince coming out, mention that the entire angle was fake, ad then do a real memorial show.

On the other hand if this turns out to be a big scam/fake angle, then I'm never watching wrestling again.

RIP Crippler....you'll be missed

You know, it's really disgusting that somewhere a kid is going to tune into Raw tonight and say "ugh, another tribute show for the 3rd straight week" and turn it off. Really disgusting. Ironic that WWE has conditioned its fanbase to "laugh at death" for 2 weeks and then we lose CHRIS FUCKING BENOIT.

I would LIKE to think that MOST casual fans will notice the difference between the tongue-in-cheek emotion for Mr McMahon and the real emotion that will be shown tonight for Chris Benoit.

That said, I'm sure WWE will drop the angle as they should.

Raw web page has just officially been changed. Just has a portrait of point on the page. All Vince refrences see to have been removed.

Kind of hard to think of wrestling, but I wonder if Malenko would be able to wrestle, even a short match for his late friend.

Man. They have to blow the lid off the Vince angle. Vince needs to make an appearence. If it does happen, hopefully it will be taped that way the Vince won't take that much attention away. I honestly have no idea what to think right now. This is the most tragic thing to me since Owen Hart.

Wonder if any wrestlers will tape any memories/stories of Benoit that they can splice into the show?

Also, if their is no live show, then they can flesh it out by showing the entire feature from his Hard Knocks DVD, and throw in some classic matches.

Clearly, the last segment of the night has to be WrestleMania XX

Is this the first Raw or any tv show to be canceled in WWE history? They kept going post 9/11 and they didn't stop a stop the show for Owen or Eddie's (granted, they didn't get news of their death within an hour of going live like Benoit's)?

From Torch:

Vince McMahon broke the news to the wrestlers backstage about the death of Chris Benoit and his family.

One wrestler who was present tells PWTorch that everyone was gathered for an urgent, impromptu gathering backstage. McMahon then explained the basics - that Chris Benoit and his wife and won were found dead. He didn't elaborate or provide any details, and may not have known any more himself. "I've never seen a locker room floored like that. Seventy percent of everyone was just floored like I've never seen before. Everyone is just sad. He was well-liked by everyone. No one ever had a bad word for him. He and Bobby Eaton, that's what people say about those two."

He added: "He never complained about sh-- (in his personal life), but lately it always looked like something wasn't setting right with him inside, like something was eating at him."

There are no police reports yet confirming the backstage info circulating that they all did of gunshot wounds.

UPDATE: As of last word, the plan being discussed was to have the announcers introduce the show and go to best-of clips of Chris Benoit matches as a tribute to him. It didn't look as if wrestlers were going to be asked to provide any tribute comments at this early stage as most were too broken up to even consider wrestling or expressing memories for the camera.

From Torch:

There are no police reports yet confirming the backstage info circulating that they all did of gunshot wounds.

I think I'm going to be fucking sick