TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE General Discussion for July 2007

So Triple H is probably going to come back at SummerSlam. At least, that's the impression that I get. My question is, to everyone, because I'm really curious what everyone's guess would be. But, do you think he'll come back as a heel or a face? I could personally see either one.

I've heard so many rumors (and they very well may just be that, rumors), but that Triple H wants to finish out his career as a face. But I have to admit on a personal level, I think another full-blown heel run would be more entertaining.

Also, does anyone think DX is done for good this time?

It's crystal clear he'll be a face. If he's leaving his beloved RAW brand, going after Edge, he'll surely be the opposite disposition to him.

So Triple H is probably going to come back at SummerSlam. At least, that's the impression that I get. My question is, to everyone, because I'm really curious what everyone's guess would be. But, do you think he'll come back as a heel or a face? I could personally see either one.

I've heard so many rumors (and they very well may just be that, rumors), but that Triple H wants to finish out his career as a face. But I have to admit on a personal level, I think another full-blown heel run would be more entertaining.

Also, does anyone think DX is done for good this time?

It's crystal clear he'll be a face. If he's leaving his beloved RAW brand, going after Edge, he'll surely be the opposite disposition to him.

I'm sure he will be a face when he returns, especially after the news that he wanted kennedy on raw because there weren't enough strong heels. However, on a couple of those pieces about his return, it almost seemed like they were pushing the idea of him being a heel. I guess it was the fact that most of the guys that they shown him beating up on were faces but the general feel of it was heelish too. Or maybe it was just me.

WWE has once again changed the philosophy behind its weekly Friday Night SmackDown! telecast.

According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE no longer views SmackDown! as the "wrestling" show and wants it booked more in accordance with the RAW template.

WWE officials point to the shakeups caused by the draft, which included Paul London, Brian Kendrick, King Booker, Mr. Kennedy and Chris Benoit leaving the show, as evidence that the brand no longer has the depth to run shows "the old way."

Vince McMahon personally changed a great deal of the most recent SmackDown! to reflect the new philosophy.

Would anyone here go see a movie just because Paul Heyman wrote it?

I saw See No Evil at the dollar theater just out of couriousity, I do the same thing if Heyman wrote a movie even if it got horrible reviews.

WWE has once again changed the philosophy behind its weekly Friday Night SmackDown! telecast.

According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, WWE no longer views SmackDown! as the "wrestling" show and wants it booked more in accordance with the RAW template.

WWE officials point to the shakeups caused by the draft, which included Paul London, Brian Kendrick, King Booker, Mr. Kennedy and Chris Benoit leaving the show, as evidence that the brand no longer has the depth to run shows "the old way."

Vince McMahon personally changed a great deal of the most recent SmackDown! to reflect the new philosophy.

"Wrestling? On my show? We'll just see about that, mister hot-shot Freebird. And Free Bird's a song, not a man, goddammit!"

How....convenient.

i didn't think the last smackdown show was so good live

you decide to move all the guys that can go off the brand, and then you claim "the brand doesn't have the depth"

lol

if there's a perception gap between raw and smackdown, i'd think you fix it by improving raw, rather than tearing down smackdown

Well......fuck.

My thoughts exactly. God forbid there actually be matches longer than 5 minutes. God I really despise Mcmahon sometimes.

Did you see ECW last week? Maybe that'll become a good substitute.

i didn't think the smackdown show was so good live

you decide to move all the guys that can go off the brand, and then you claim "the brand doesn't have the depth"

lol

if there's a perception gap between raw and smackdown, i'd think you fix it by improving raw, rather than tearing down smackdown

They fix Raw by raping smackdown..........

Raw will always be the A show, I guess now they just want the whole company booked that way so guys who get moved don't have to change how they work or portray themselves.

From LOP: (So take it for what its worth)

ECW Press Announces CHRIS AND NANCY by Irvin Muchnick, Story of the Benoit Murder-Suicide, for 2008 Publication

July 16, 2007 - ECW Press announced today that it has signed author Irvin Muchnick to write a book about the sensational case of wrestler Chris Benoit. The book, entitled CHRIS AND NANCY: The True Story of the Benoit Murder-Suicide and Pro Wrestling's Cocktail of Death, will be published in 2008. Muchnick is author of the hot-selling ECW Press book, WRESTLING BABYLON: Piledriving Tales of Drugs, Sex, Death, and Scandal (site: wrestlingbabylon.com; blog: http://muchnick.net/babylon, and has appeared extensively in media coverage of the Benoit case. The appendix of WRESTLING BABYLON documents the premature deaths of nearly 100 wrestlers over the last generation from drugs and related aspects of the pro wrestling lifestyle. That information has been cited both by commentators and by a member of Congress urging investigation of the billion-dollar pro wrestling industry. Michael Holmes, senior editor of ECW Press, said: We are delighted to be publishing what certainly will be the most authoritative and best-written full-length account of the Benoit tragedy and its implications. Irv Muchnick's WRESTLING BABYLON is both one of the most important and one of the most commercially successful books in our company's history. We expect CHRIS AND NANCY to break more new ground. ECW Press (site: http://ecwpress.com) was recently recognized by Publishers Weekly as one of North America's fastest growing and most diversified independent publishers. Information about and updates on CHRIS AND NANCY: The True Story of the Benoit Murder-Suicide and Pro Wrestling's Cocktail of Death can be followed at http://benoitbook.com

From rajah.com via f4wonline:

According to a source in WWE, there is mild interest in him but it's nowhere near a lock that he'd be signed. He's not particularly tall, doesn't have the WWE build, plus he wouldn't be able to do most of his high impact stuff.

One person compared him to Tazz, a guy that people raved about due to his work in ECW, but then when he got called up to WWE and all of his suplexes and such were taken away from him, he was just a short guy that ended up as an announcer within a few years. When Tazz first got called up, in fact, Vince McMahon took one look at him and almost ended his in-ring run before it started. Former WWE writer Chris Kreski, who died of cancer a year or so ago at age 42, pushed really hard for him and ended up getting him on TV at least for a period.

One person did note that, worst case scenario, he could go to WWE and get a bad gimmick and probably no push, but then when that deal expired if TNA was still around he could go back there and just based on being a former WWE guy (see Tomko) probably get the biggest push of his career.

Nice to see WWE have the mindset of hiring a guy to BURY them.

The thing that doesn't fit about the Tazz snippet up there is I've always heard it reported that McMahon was a fan of Tazz's work from what he'd seen. Not to mention the fact that he'd seen him wrestle on his own Raw program before. Add that to the fact it's highly doubtful you'd put over a guy you don't want on your TV show over your new project(Kurt Angle) to end his undefeated streak.

What happened with Taz was simple......he got over being this no selling bad ass dude. Well the WWE is never ever going to allow a guy who's 5'8 to no sell or really be a badass, he got away with it in ECW where no one was that much bigger than him.....in WWE he couldn't realistically do that gimmick and they knew it.

According to a source in WWE, there is mild interest in him but it's nowhere near a lock that he'd be signed. He's not particularly tall, doesn't have the WWE build, plus he wouldn't be able to do most of his high impact stuff.

One person compared him to Tazz, a guy that people raved about due to his work in ECW, but then when he got called up to WWE and all of his suplexes and such were taken away from him, he was just a short guy that ended up as an announcer within a few years. When Tazz first got called up, in fact, Vince McMahon took one look at him and almost ended his in-ring run before it started. Former WWE writer Chris Kreski, who died of cancer a year or so ago at age 42, pushed really hard for him and ended up getting him on TV at least for a period.

One person did note that, worst case scenario, he could go to WWE and get a bad gimmick and probably no push, but then when that deal expired if TNA was still around he could go back there and just based on being a former WWE guy (see Tomko) probably get the biggest push of his career.

maybe i am slow, but are they talking about Samoa Joe

What happened with Taz was simple......he got over being this no selling bad ass dude. Well the WWE is never ever going to allow a guy who's 5'8 to no sell or really be a badass, he got away with it in ECW where no one was that much bigger than him.....in WWE he couldn't realistically do that gimmick and they knew it.

Vince actually regrets a lot of things they did wrong with Tazz. Espically the HHH WWE world Champion vs Taz ECW Champion match.

maybe i am slow, but are they talking about Samoa Joe

Yea.....I think it's a bit over the top honestly, he wouldn't have nearly the stuff taken from him that a guy like AJ Styles would, it's not like his entire moveset would be gone.

I don't buy the "Vince took one look at him and almost ended his in-ring run before it started"...Tazz becoming an announcer was a suprise IMO to everybody...and when he first came in they made a huge deal with the website going orange, the "13" Titantrons on all their shows and then putting him over Angle and ending, albeit it was retconned, the undefeated streak..sure Vince booked him bad in the end but it's not even close to him thinking Tazz was a nothing wrestler...

They were protecting Tazz hardcore when he started. His second TV match in the company was a triple threat match as Tazz vs. Kurt Angle vs. The Rock. Angle took the fall.

I think the biggest question about Joe and WWE is............. what will they rename him?

If Monty Brown went to Marquis Cor Von what will Joe go to? Jo-maga? A play on Umaga and his name? Samaga? The Samoa? Joe-Berg? Or they could always run with the Cor Von last name and give it to every TNA guy that joins the company. It could be a running gag in the WWE to give them that last name.

Joseph Cor Von. So wrong, yet some WWE writer may like it.

I think the biggest question about Joe and WWE is............. what will they rename him?

If Monty Brown went to Marquis Cor Von what will Joe go to? Jo-maga? A play on Umaga and his name? Samaga? The Samoa? Joe-Berg? Or they could always run with the Cor Von last name and give it to every TNA guy that joins the company. It could be a running gag in the WWE to give them that last name.

Joseph Cor Von. So wrong, yet some WWE writer may like it.

I think they would keep him as Samoa Joe but put him on a differant show than Umaga. Hell they might just call him "Joe" to make it so no one things him and Umaga are one in the same or something.

Tazz was indeed super-protected... for about a month. Then he got to feud with Bossman. Then was thrown into a whole bunch of multi-man hardcore matches which were basically All Cookie Sheets, All The Time. Then got hurt. Then came back and feuded with... Lawler... and LOST to him. Then got stuck in a tag team with Raven, who was well known for being hated by Vince. Then got randomly turned face and did absolutely nothing for months. Then was part of Invasion... specifically, the part that got whipped like a dog by Austin every week.

My theory? Vince saw Tazz wrestling the big guys like Rock, and realized just how short he really was, and how much less deadly his suplexes looked in the giant WWE ring. Bye-bye, push. Ciao, protection. He never did anything important in-ring again.