TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE General Discussion for July 2007

Ah yes, the waste of time that inevitably drives ratings lower. Yep, if I was a chick, I'd sure want to be a Diva, knowing that most of them get sexually harassed, shoved into demeaning roles, and quickly fired.

Yeah, if they didn't call him Mario or used the actual songs they'd be fine. But have the music department whip up a Mario-like song and you'd be fine. Hell didn't WCW have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle? I'm sure they did.

Someone hit Wrestlecrap.

Yeah, if they didn't call him Mario or used the actual songs they'd be fine. But have the music department whip up a Mario-like song and you'd be fine. Hell didn't WCW have a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle? I'm sure they did.

Someone hit Wrestlecrap.

WCW did have "Glacier", a ripoff of SubZero from the Mortal Kombat series of games.

I started looking on Wrestlecrap myself, but got distracted, but I still think that there was a TMNT rip-off.

And Glacier? Hell I was still in full mark mode when he debuted and was like... _THIS_ is the guy they've been hyping for a _YEAR_?

I started looking on Wrestlecrap myself, but got distracted, but I still think that there was a TMNT rip-off.

Cowabunga!!!

The Chris Champion version:

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/gall...ischampion.html

16.jpg

Here is the Brian Hildebrand/Mark Curtis version:

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/gall...hildebrand.html

03.jpg

It was the early 90's, and the spawn of Hell had arrived. No matter where we turned, we could not escape the horrible fate that was...The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They had movies. They had a cartoon series. An action figure line. Comics. CD's. A live tour. Condoms.

OK, well, maybe not that, but you get the point. The Turles merchandise was Everwhere!!! So naturally, there was a wrestler based on the characters. The WWF had an Elvis knock-off. WCW was trying out a Spider-Man rip-off. And USWA...well, they had Cowabunga.

And like most wrestling ninjas before him (Kato, Kwang, Super Ninja), he was neither Asian nor a martial artist. To make matters even worse, he wasn't even a real turtle. Nope, inside that high-priced realistic get-up was Chris Champion, who is quickly becoming a regular stay at our site. Champion, as Cowabunga (or Kowabunga), emerged in the USWA area. Like 90% of Tennessee-based gimmicks, it was beyond goofy. Naturally, I'm pretty sure Jerry Lawler had some input into it. At some point while using the gimmick, Champion got into major trouble for some sort of sexual involvement with a teenager. Somehow, I don't think Master Splinter would have approved.

A second Cowabunga, more commonly referred to as The Ninja Turtle, showed up later on in Jim Cornette's Smokey Mountain Wrestling. This time, it wasn't Champion behind the halloween costume, but rather the late Brian Hildebrand, probably better known as Mark Curtis, referee.

*Credit for some of the above photos goes to RFis1

Man, I was a big USWA fan back in the day but why don't I remember this hilarious gimmick? It's the exact sort of thing they could do in Memphis and not have anyone think much bad about it, but if a major company tried it people would trash it.

So what does everyone think of the "Intercontinental Championship"?

This title has been booked like crap over the years, we all know that. The US Title has moved so far above the IC title that it's sad. How do you like the prestige of the IC title?

I wish a guy like Punk could hold that title, but I guess the days of that title being a stepping stone to the world title is over?

ARRGH. ANOTHER one?! Let's see: they fired the first winner, buried the second one after she gave up the goods for Playboy and proved she couldn't wrestle, and I don't even know what happened to the third one. WHY do they keep doing this waste of time?!

Some of the other women people around here like wouldn't be around without the Diva searches.......I don't particulary care for them personally. But to just point out the winners skirts that I know for a fact that some people around here like Maria, Brooke Adams, Candice Michelle and the like. Without the Diva search none of them would exist either........it goes both ways.

I remember reading that Mcmahon didn't think she was attractive but considering her spot, I always wondered if she was the first one that wouldn't fuck him.

Uh who is she........that was very vague.

I remember reading that Mcmahon didn't think she was attractive but considering her spot, I always wondered if she was the first one that wouldn't fuck him.

Uh who is she........that was very vague.

You're right, sorry. Was talking about Layla

skirts that I know for a fact that some people around here like Maria, Brooke Adams, Candice Michelle and the like. Without the Diva search none of them would exist either

I might miss Maria. (As long as she's not "wrestling".) Other than that, what has the Divasearch ever turned up that's worth having? Oh, right, chicks willing to do Playboy, we're stuck with this fucking gimmick forever.

Man, I was a big USWA fan back in the day but why don't I remember this hilarious gimmick? It's the exact sort of thing they could do in Memphis and not have anyone think much bad about it, but if a major company tried it people would trash it.

They mostly did it on house shows, as the picture clearly indicates the outfit looked pretty damn bad and even Channel 5 wouldn't stoop THAT low for ratings on a saturday morning (I hope).

Also, the gimmick was killed and buried after Champion got busted for molestation. Which is incredibly ironic: Chris was widely rumored among other wrestlers to have an eye for scandalously young girls, but he didn't actually do anything in the case he was convicted on: he was literally taking polaroid pictures with kids while wearing the turtle costume during intermission at a show in Kentucky, he kissed one girl on the cheek, her mom somehow thought that was molestation and had him arrested, and the weird way KY's laws are set up he was actually convicted for the shit. One of the odder cases of karma coming around to getcha that I've ever heard of.

Man that is bizarre, wonder why I never heard about that Champion story until now? I'm assuming it was something that happened at Louisville Gardens. The Lawler arrest and court case was more notable around here circa 1993. What's funny is that few people before then knew about Lawler's jailbait fixation, so nobody really believed he did it!

Besides, we all know the gimmick would last maybe a month before getting shelved. Poor Super Marella.

They could pair him with Eugene and make them Superheroes tagt-team.

Besides, we all know the gimmick would last maybe a month before getting shelved. Poor Super Marella.

But that would ruin his "Itsa Me" gimmick were all planning for him.

But that would ruin his "Itsa Me" gimmick were all planning for him.

He could receive that gimmick after heel turning on Eugene.

from PWI. Looks like they smartened up a little bit and won't be giving the winner 250,000

The Application for the 2007 edition of the WWE Diva Search noted some changes that are being made to this year's edition of the annual contest:

*According to the application, WWE will select 50 semi-finalists. There will be a casting on 8/16, where judges will select the 8 finalists.

*The finalists will film a series of "challenges" in Los Angeles on 8/17-8/19 that will be taped and edited into WWE's TV shows. Fans will be asked to vote every week.

*"The finalist who receives the fewest number of votes each week will be eliminated, and the Challenge performances of the remaining finalists will be broadcast during WWE television programming" and the WWE website, so they will simply edit out the eliminated competitor while portraying the footage as being brand new.

*This year's contest will not be for the traditional $250,000 prize but instead, according to the application, "The winner will be awarded a WWE Talent Contract worth up to $100,000 (US Dollars). The Talent Contract will be subject to WWE standard terms and conditions."

*The finalists will film a series of "challenges" in Los Angeles on 8/17-8/19 that will be taped and edited into WWE's TV shows.

Thank sweet baby jesus, hopefully we won't be wasting 20 minutes per week with this shit like back when it was live.

"The winner will be awarded a WWE Talent Contract worth up to $100,000 (US Dollars). The Talent Contract will be subject to WWE standard terms and conditions."

THERE's the two most important words in this whole thing. The WWE can really pay the winner whatever the fuck they feel like.

Plus, "WWE standard terms and conditions" = you're considered an independent contractor, which means you have no insurance and you're stuck in the higher tax bracket.

I guess Layla changed the standard for the search somehow. I don't know why she isn't even on Raw, since it was know as the RAW diva search back then.

From PWInsider:

Teddy Hart, Harry Smith and Nattie Neidhart all debuted on this week's Ohio Valley Wrestling TV wearing matching outfits. Smith and Hart will be wrestling Cryme Time at the next OVW Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom event this Friday. WWE champion John Cena and Jerry Lawler will also appear. Thanks to Paul Jordan for sending that along.

We're just one step closer to seeing it on WWE programming.