TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - November 2007

Just watched the new legends show... I thought it was pretty entertaining, although my favorite is still the Andre the Giant/Iron Sheik episode and the Monday Night Wars episode. I did like the fact that Jim Ross said we'll be getting a future episode that will be about the wrestling territories... which should be real good. It'll be interesting to see if the keep Taz on the panel for that one, especially since Lawler, Rhodes, or even Graham of all people could have more insight. They have the habit of using the same cast due to them taping all the episodes at one shot.

Guest Lee_The_Pea
Just watched the new legends show... I thought it was pretty entertaining, although my favorite is still the Andre the Giant/Iron Sheik episode and the Monday Night Wars episode. I did like the fact that Jim Ross said we'll be getting a future episode that will be about the wrestling territories... which should be real good. It'll be interesting to see if the keep Taz on the panel for that one, especially since Lawler, Rhodes, or even Graham of all people could have more insight. They have the habit of using the same cast due to them taping all the episodes at one shot.

What is the Andre/Sheik episode? What was said?

They mostly just discussed the Sheik and Andre, their careers, some personal details. Dusty talking about Andre pissing on him in a brothel was hilarious, Patterson discussed peeking in on Andre banging some chick and discussed what a ladies man Andre was. They discussed the Sheik and how much insane heat he drew, but also some about his bad habits that led to his career downfall.

They mostly just discussed the Sheik and Andre, their careers, some personal details. Dusty talking about Andre pissing on him in a brothel was hilarious, Patterson discussed peeking in on Andre banging some chick and discussed what a ladies man Andre was. They discussed the Sheik and how much insane heat he drew, but also some about his bad habits that led to his career downfall.

Yeah... it was the stories about both characters that made the episode. Michael Hayes' story about getting pulled over in a drug search and Sheik almost getting them arrested was hilarious as well.

*Hayes impersonating McMahon*

"Sheik....concerning the result of your drug test.....it came back positive."

"YES!"

"No Sheik, positive is bad." :D

I have to admit this wasn't one of my favorite Legends shows. Maybe it was the panel or the topic, I dunno. Is someone like Stu Hart really all that tough for taking trainees and stretching them to the point of being unconscious?

Can't disagree. I liked the Legends Roundtable but I think the problem with it was it was too unfocused. Usually they have a theme or cover a limited number of individuals in one show but they were going all over the place here, bouncing from guy to guy. Especially on the topic of legit tough guys, something wrestling has a lot of. I did enjoy all the conversation about Angle and Lesnar. Tazz and JR both brought up the fact that they were very alpha and that nearly led to a lot of fights between them.

Finally got a chance to watch the Austin/Hart street fight again and it was great. I don't think I appreciated how good the Raw 1997 storylines were at the time. This particular episode was the night of stiff beatings. Austin never got a (televised) pinfall victory over Bret but this was pretty damn good.

Piper was at his best on Tuesday Night Titans and was once again coked out of his mind. He was still the heel here but it's clear that the fans loved him at this point. Heel Piper was a lot more entertaining an edgier than Face Piper. You could tell beyond the coke-fueled rantings that he clearly hated Mr. T and he uttered a really politically incorrect line when he said that Mr. T

"Is the only guy who wears more chains then his ancestors."

Yeah the Bret/Austin stuff was the centerpiece of that Raw along with the UT stuff. Otherwise that show was pretty forgettable stuff. The Nitro wasn't too bad there, but man these Nitros from 1997 just seem like an entire year of filler. I think I remember now why I didn't watch much of WCW that year.

Oh and what is with all of this Kevin Greene crap back then? The dude seemed like he was almost on the WCW roster given all of his appearances.

Piper was at his best on Tuesday Night Titans and was once again coked out of his mind. He was still the heel here but it's clear that the fans loved him at this point. Heel Piper was a lot more entertaining an edgier than Face Piper.

It was a studio crowd inside Titan Towers! You'd think they would toe the company line but it's pretty obvious to me that Vince was putting minimal effort into the show at that point.

Yeah the Bret/Austin stuff was the centerpiece of that Raw along with the UT stuff. Otherwise that show was pretty forgettable stuff. The Nitro wasn't too bad there, but man these Nitros from 1997 just seem like an entire year of filler. I think I remember now why I didn't watch much of WCW that year.

Oh and what is with all of this Kevin Greene crap back then? The dude seemed like he was almost on the WCW roster given all of his appearances.

He happened to be a huge fan. Hell, we're about to come up on a PPV where you had Kevin Greene in a main event and Steve McMichael taking on Reggie White.

Piper was at his best on Tuesday Night Titans and was once again coked out of his mind. He was still the heel here but it's clear that the fans loved him at this point. Heel Piper was a lot more entertaining an edgier than Face Piper.

It was a studio crowd inside Titan Towers! You'd think they would toe the company line but it's pretty obvious to me that Vince was putting minimal effort into the show at that point.

Were they actually taping that in Titan Towers or in Baltimore like they did Primetime?

That legends roundtable was good as always. Hayes and JR were both pretty humorous.

One thing that bothered me was JR talking about how Undertaker and Austin had to carry shitty wrestlers to good matches and mentioning Giant Gonzales and Marc Mero in the same sentence. I know Marc Mero isn't in the good graces of the WWE right now, but their was a point around 1994-1997 where he was pretty damn good and if he avoided injury, he would've been great so to compare him to Gonzales or make it like he was the worst guy Austin ever wrestled is kind of ridiculous.

I also wished they would've talked more about the guys who were perceived as badasses but actually weren't.

Were they actually taping that in Titan Towers or in Baltimore like they did Primetime?

I thought it was a crowd of WWE office employees but I had it confused with early 90s Prime Time Wrestling.

Guest krippler27

They were still filming in Baltimore at the point. As stated by JYD in this last TNT when he said that they were down the road last night in Baltimore. Also at the end credits its says filmed at Video One Studios in Owings Mills, MD.

Piper was awsome on that last Show. Speaking of racist comments in the SNME that was on Jesse Ventura was making Roots jokes during the Hercules vs Virgil match.

Just finished the first part of Survivor Series '95 for the first time in maybe 10 years. Some notes:

- I think someone mentioned it, but odd structure to have the first three matches won by the heel. It's all faces the rest of the way and I guess none of those later matches would make a lot of sense going on before the first three. They couldn't have tinkered with the outcomes, either, since Kid and Goldust were in obvious must-win positions. Blayze was on her way out by that point, wasn't she? That would explain the loss to Kong.

- Hakushi may be sloppy, but I've yet to go back and watch one of his WWF matches that didn't have at least some redeeming qualities. Crowd loved his innovative spots, too. And man, did they miss the boat on Horowitz or what? The crowd adored the guy. It's a shame he didn't have that classic WWF look, because he was more than capable in the ring.

- I love how The Undertaker assembled the shittiest team you could've constructed with that roster. When I think "dark side," I sure don't think of Puerto Ricans, fat Samoans "trying to make a difference" or a farmer. Thankfully, that stuff doesn't even matter, since the match was clearly a forum for Taker to return and throw down on his own, thus making a team of even decent quality unnecessary.

- I laughed at the notion of a "royal dentist."

Is it just me, or is watching the old ECW Hardcore TV episodes proving more and more how great on the stick Stevie Richards could be? I didn't really get into ECW until a week or two before Heat Wave '98 (amazing show to start at), and at the time I wasn't even watching wrestling, so looking back...wow. I know it's been said that the neck injury really fucked up his career, but damn if I don't believe that entirely now.

Stevie is awesome on those old ECW shows. I particularly cracked up at the one where he came out and was like "Hey do you guys like my new Winger shirt???"

I too noticed that blatant shot JR took at Mero, comparing Austin wrestling him to UT wrestling Gonzalez. I was also amusing that JR said UT got great matches out of Gonzalez. If he considers some -**** matches great, so be it. I noticed in Foley's book he trashed Mero a lot too. It's weird because I used to think he was quite good during his peak years (late WCW, early WWF). He certainly wasn't anyone Austin was carrying.

Yeah, I don't get the bad rap on Mero either. It seems like the biggest knock against him was his wife was a bitch and he was a bit of a primadonna during his WWF run.

Weirdly enough, my biggest markout moment was when Marc Mero beat Farooq in the WWF Intercontinental title tournament finals. I don't know why but me an my brother were practically flipping over furniture in joy when The Wildman beat the Evil Gladiator.

I don't get all the hate on Mero either. The guy had some very good matches and was doing highflying moves nobody in the company was doing at the time.

I even liked his heel turn when he was Marvelous and using the boxer gimmick.

The reason for the hate on Mero is obvious. It has nothing to do with him as a performer...like, at all.

That, and the recent interviews on various news networks. That's a great way to get on WWE's shitlist, and since those interviews aren't going to disappear, that's where Mero's going to stay.

Foley criticized Mero on a couple of levels in his book. He certainly was pissed that Mero seemed to always make more money than he was making, despite Foley being higher on the card in both WCW and WWF. Yet he also really derided Mero as a performer too, discussed a crap match Mero had with UT in 1996 (and made sure to say it wasn't UT's fault), generally badmouthed the guy's skills.

April 14th Nitro You're Missing (I was at this show!)

*** WCW Monday Nitro (Live)

04/14/97

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Dark Match: Ice Train & Joe Gomez defeated Ace Darling & Devon Storm (with the unnamed formerly valet Kimona Wannalaya) when Train pinned Darling after a big splash.

Dark Match: Madusa defeated Luna Vachon by disqualification when Luna kicked the referee in the groin as Madusa was executing the German Suplex.

Kevin Nash announced that Lex Luger would have to go through him before getting his WCW World Title match against Hulk Hogan. Nick Patrick petitioned to become a WCW referee again.

1. Chris Benoit pinned The Barbarian after a flying headbutt. The Dungeon of Doom attacked Benoit after the match. Steve McMichael & Jeff Jarrett made the save.

2. WCW U.S. Champion Dean Malenko defeated Hector Guerrero via submission with the Texas Cloverleaf.

3. Rey Misterio, Jr. pinned Juventud Guerrera with a springboard hurancanrana.

4. WCW Television Champion Ultimo Dragon pinned Lane Carlson with a Dragon Suplex and bridge.

5. WCW Cruiserweight Champion Syxx defeated Prince Iaukea via submission with the Buzzkiller (crossface chicken wing).

6. The Public Enemy defeated High Voltage in a "Philadelphia Street Fight" when Rocco Rock pinned Rage after doing hitting the "Drive-By" on Rage and putting him through two tables.

7. The Giant pinned Big Al (formerly ECW's "911") following a choke slam.

8. Dallas Page (with Kimberly) pinned Konan after a Diamond Cutter.

9. Steve McMichael & Jeff Jarrett (with Debra McMichael) defeated Harlem Heat (with Sister Sherri) via disqualification when Sister Sherri assaulted Debra. McMichael insulted the NFL's Reggie White after the match. White, in attendance, jumped the guardrail but was restrained by security.

10. Lex Luger defeated Kevin Nash via disqualification when the nWo interfered. Dallas Page, The Giant, and Sting made the save for Luger.

_______

Quick thoughts from a review I did:

- Benoit/Barbarian is good. But they wouldn't show this anyway, right?

- Mysterio/Juvy is good.

- "Lane Carlson" aka Lenny Lane gets a TV Title Shot and gets a buncha offense, too!

- Syxx Vs. Iaukea is an AWESOME little match. Man, Iaukea stunk up PPVs during his little push, but he was red HOT on Nitro. Crowd really liked him.

- 911 Vs. The Giant!

- Philly gets to markout for Reggie White one last time. :(

Goddamnit, Philly shows were always a little wilder. Especially for WCW who was still the "young virgin" when it came to ECW-esque hardcore wild brawls. The announcers would sell brawling with garbage can lids like the world was going to end.

Tony Schiavonne would always say something gay like, "We're having a good time tonight, aren't we Brain?!" *gufaw* :lol: -_-

Stevie is awesome on those old ECW shows. I particularly cracked up at the one where he came out and was like "Hey do you guys like my new Winger shirt???"

I too noticed that blatant shot JR took at Mero, comparing Austin wrestling him to UT wrestling Gonzalez. I was also amusing that JR said UT got great matches out of Gonzalez. If he considers some -**** matches great, so be it. I noticed in Foley's book he trashed Mero a lot too. It's weird because I used to think he was quite good during his peak years (late WCW, early WWF). He certainly wasn't anyone Austin was carrying.

JR's comments reeked of politics. Plain and simple. Mero might not have become as big a star as he could have been but he was a pretty damn good wrestler. But his speaking out against the WWE and Foley's dislike of him for making more money is evident.

Give me a break about Undertaker carrying Gonzales to great matches. Even Ric Flair wasn't capable of that.

Speaking of Virgil and Hercules, only in the WWF will you see a black man fighting for his bosses' right to own a slave.

Mr. Perfect's an awful commentator. He takes arrogance to new heights, which is inexcusable, since he hadn't wrestled in two years by that point. His reaction to Shawn Michaels' pop is embarrassing.

anyone else have problems with the video for ss 95? I got a lot of pops in audio and video problems.

and I thought 87 won the poll, yet we got 94? (though it was cool to see backlund-bret again)