TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
strummer

*Smackdown/ECW Spoilers*

from 411:

Dark Matches:

1) Nunzio defeated "The Natural" Nick Nemeth (w/ Big Rob) with a rollup. Nemeth appears to be one part Steve Corino and one part Billy Gunn. He kicked out of the Sicicilian Slice but still lost. Big Rob was freakishly massive.

2) The Great Khali defeated Tommy Dreamer with the Vice Grip. The crowd actually popped for the Vice Grip.

ECW Tapings:

- Armando Estrada opens the show by introducing us to Chavo Guerrero. Chavo says that he watched ECW while he was injured and was sick of CM Punk being called the "future of WWE." CM Punk comes out to point out what a lame excuse that is. Armando makes Chavo vs. Punk where Chavo gets an ECW Title shot if he wins.

1) Jimmy Wang Yang, Shannon Moore, & Kelly Kelly defeated John Morrison, The Miz, & Layla when Yang pinned Miz. Most of the match saw Moore play face in peril. At one point Morrison accidentally sent Moore flying into Layla and Moore's head hit her right in the face; she spent most of the match holding her face. Yang eventually gets the tag, the girls fight, Moore takes out Morrison on the outside, and Yang reverses a corner charge into a beautiful looking Yang Time for the win. It was later announced that the two teams will meet in a 15 Minutes of Fame Match next week. The graphic had "WWE Tag Team Championship" written on it, so I'm not sure if they have 15 minutes to win the belts or if it's for a title shot like normal.

- Tazz interviews a returning Collin Dellaney and recaps his beatdown at the hands of Shelton Benjamin. Dellaney says it's his New Year's resolution to become a WWE superstar. Tazz introduces his opponent: Big Daddy V.

2) Big Daddy V defeated Collin Dellaney after the Samoan Drop and an elbow drop.

3) Shelton Benjamin defeated James Curtis. Curtis had an entrance video but got the jobber introduction. Curtis got in much more offense then you would have figured. Boring match. Benjamin eventually powerbombs Curtis into the turnbuckle and hits his unnamed finisher for the win.

4) CM Punk defeated Chavo Guerrero by count out to deny Chavo an ECW Title shot. Decent match that eventually spilled to the outside. Both men fought to get in before the ten count and Punk just barely makes it in.

SmackDown Tapings:

- Vickie Guerrero opens the show and announces the Beat the Clock Challenge with Undertaker, Batista, Rey Mysterio, and Finlay as those that will compete for a Royal Rumble title shot. She says that if Taker or Batista lays a finger on Edge then their title chances will go up in smoke. She then announces the new SmackDown color commentator: Jonathan Coachman.

1) Finlay (w/ Hornswoggle) defeated MVP in 9:46 in a Beat the Clock Match. Before the match they show what went down on Raw between Hornswoggle and William Regal. Very good technical match that the crowd didn't get into. MVP gets the kick to Finlay but he gets his foot on the bottom rope. Hornswoggle tosses a shillelagh into the ring to distract the ref and then hands another to Finlay who whacks MVP with it for the win. After the match Mr. McMahon arrives to hug Hornswoggle and Finlay watches him untrustingly.

2) Kenny Dykstra & Victoria defeated Chuck Palumbo & Michelle McCool when Victoria gave McCool the Widow's Peak. Palumbo didn't try to make the save although he could have. After the match Palumbo yells at McCool and rides off without her.

- Backstage Chavo Guerrero complains to Vickie that her relationship with Edge is tearing the Guerrero family apart. She says to relax and that she put him in the Beat the Clock Challenge. Chavo says he's longing for a time that he can never go back to.

3) Chavo Guerrero defeated Funaki in 6:02 in a Beat the Clock Match. Funaki looked better in there against Chavo than Punk did. Funaki got a few nearfalls but eventually got hit with the Gory special.

4) Jimmy Wang Yang & Shannon Moore defeated Deuce'n'Domino.

5) Batista did not defeat The Edgeheads (Curt Hawkins & Zach Ryder) to advance in the Beat the Clock Challenge. It was originally scheduled to be Batista vs. Hawkins but Vickie Guerrero made Long make it a Handicap Match. Batista started to make a comeback as time wound down and had one of them set up for the Batista Bomb as time expired.

- Backstage MVP complained about losing in the Beat the Clock Challenge. He said that it was time for him to make history and do something that even Triple H couldn't do: retire Ric Flair.

6) Undertaker did not defeat Mark Henry to advance in the Beat the Clock Challenge. Matt Striker was initially announced as Taker's opponent but he ended up being the guest referee. Henry actually counter Old School twice. Taker was just about to beat Henry with about 10 seconds to go but Striker didn't go all the way down for the three. The crowd went nuts at first thinking he actually counted the fall. Taker chased Striker to the back and then slammed Henry and gave him a legdrop.

- Backstage Striker tells Taker that if he comes after him that Big Daddy V is more than willing to take a piece of the Undertaker.

7) Rey Mysterio defeated Edge (w/ Edgeheads) with 1:11 remaining to win the Beat the Clock Challenge. The Edgeheads would try to get involved but Batista would come to ringside and destroy them. Edge avoided the 619 but then Undertaker came out onto the ramp and stared down Edge. The lights went out and when they came back on Edge was draped over the ropes in the 619 position. Rey hit the 619 and the splash to pin Edge and earn the title shot at the Royal Rumble.

Dark Match:

*) Edge defended the World Heavyweight Title against Batista and lost by DQ. Post-match Batista & Undertaker cleaned house of Edge and the Edgeheads and Batista ended the night by Batista Bombing Edge.

I'll take Edge/Rey over Edge/Kane, so I don't mind Rey being the random Rumble title challenger as they do work well together. How exactly was Chavo a considerable contender?

I'll take Edge/Rey over Edge/Kane, so I don't mind Rey being the random Rumble title challenger as they do work well together. How exactly was Chavo a considerable contender?
It was Vickie's way of shutting him up, about how she was"Tearing The Guerrero family, because of her relationship with Edge". To avoid the conversation, she put him in the Beat The Clock match. Pretty slick move, I think.

It was Vickie's way of shutting him up, about how she was"Tearing The Guerrero family, because of her relationship with Edge". To avoid the conversation, she put him in the Beat The Clock match. Pretty slick move, I think.

I didn't see that and that is a good spot. Chavo getting his annual mini-push is always fun.

Khali is doing dark matches now? That's probably the best way to use him. Pop the crowd and squash someone in the dark and be used every now and then on TV. I'll look forward to seeing the Moore Yang- MnM 2.0 rematch next week.

I can't imagine a Cole/Coach commentary pairing being much good. Cole needs someone with actual wrestling knowledge next to him IMO. While I like Coach, he does not fit the bill.

Colin Olsen getting mike time and another appearance? Awesome.

Coach/Cole could be really good or really bad. I don't know yet.

ECW looks like a show written by Dusty. Can't wait to see it.

I haven't watched ECW in a while, what is up with all the jobber stuff? Has the show been like this lately?

It's a Dusty booked show and that's why it's been far more enjoyable then the wreck that Raw is. ECW focuses on three people/angles and works around those. Right now, it's Punk and the carousel of challengers, the Moore/Yang-MnM wrestling-based rivalry, Benjamin's ascent to the top by laying out jobbers in an effort to rebuild him as a threat. They pepper in a squash match with a BDV or Henry just for good measure.

ECW is assured to give you at least one 15 minute match every week.

I haven't watched ECW in a while, what is up with all the jobber stuff? Has the show been like this lately?

It's a Dusty booked show and that's why it's been far more enjoyable then the wreck that Raw is. ECW focuses on three people/angles and works around those. Right now, it's Punk and the carousel of challengers, the Moore/Yang-MnM wrestling-based rivalry, Benjamin's ascent to the top by laying out jobbers in an effort to rebuild him as a threat. They pepper in a squash match with a BDV or Henry just for good measure.

ECW is assured to give you at least one 15 minute match every week.

Actually other than the Hornswoggle stuff RAW has been pretty solid IMO. I think it's better now than it was during the summer (which, aside from a few great skits, was a disaster for obvious reasons). The workrate hasn't been there like it was in early 07 but the booking has been pretty effective.

Coach is a terrible choice because he can't sell the moves and put over the wrestlers because he's not a wrestler. Michael Hayes would have been a much better choice, but Vince loves Coachman fomr some reason or another.

I like Chavo, but he's been given many opportunities to connect with the crowd and break through into the upper mid card and he can never make it. Fighting for the Guerrero name could make him a face, however he's a horrid face. He's be much better off joining the Edge faction as the midcard threat to the US title, and eventually could side with Vickie against Edge when he eventually drops her in epic heel fashion or continue to side with Edge when he drops Vickie in epic heel fashion.

It looks like they're trying to get Wang and Moore over as the new London and Kendrick. They're just as good in the ring and can make thier opponents look like a million bucks but both Wang and Moore, like Chavo, have had troubles ever connecting with the crowd over their careers.

Why is Collin Delaney getting this angle, unless it's really leading nowhere. Otherwise I'm sure they had developmentals they could have used.

I'm actually interested in Curtis vs Benjamin - Curtis is a much better heel though, has a great old school southern vibe to him. Right now he's bland as hell, but his ring work is still solid.

I like Punk working with Chavo, too bad it was only a one time thing.

I might actually watch ECW and Smackdown this week. Punk vs. Chavo sounds good, and I always enjoy the Beat The Clock thing.

Is there a reason Edge, the World Champion, is competing in Beat the Clock to determine his number one contender? Out of context it looks like TNA booking.

It's competed under Challenger vs Opponent rules (as opposed to Challenger vs. Challenger) so Edge would have been put in there by Vicky to attempt to stop Rey from becoming the contender.

I like Punk working with Chavo, too bad it was only a one time thing.

It doesn't mean they won't have a rematch but it does look like they'll push towards Punk-Benjamin either for the Rumble or after it.

Admittedly, I haven't caught every week of ECW in the past few months but... when was the last time Armando actually appeared on screen? I can't remember seeing him since, I think, the week after he was actually introduced.

EDIT: Colin Olsen~!

Edited by King Cucaracha

Oh god, not James Curtis. Anyone but James Curtis.

Good for Colin Olsen, though. He must have impressed someone important at the 12/18 show because he was the local talent brought in for the j-o-b.

The graphic had "WWE Tag Team Championship" written on it, so I'm not sure if they have 15 minutes to win the belts or if it's for a title shot like normal.

Its going to be a 15 minute tag team ironman match from the sounds of it (most pinfalls in 15 minutes wins)

thats lame, though I dont recall off the top of my head any tag team iron man matches..

The graphic had "WWE Tag Team Championship" written on it, so I'm not sure if they have 15 minutes to win the belts or if it's for a title shot like normal.

Its going to be a 15 minute tag team ironman match from the sounds of it (most pinfalls in 15 minutes wins)

thats lame, though I dont recall off the top of my head any tag team iron man matches..

I remember an MNM vs. Holly & Haas 15-minute match from spring 2005. Was that the same thing, most falls in 15?

A throughly enjoyable show tonight. Punk/Chavo had really good stuff as well as a good opening segment where Punk came off as a legitimate top guy to Chavo's whining. Good squashes as well. The tag title stuff has been good for the last month.

I'm looking forward to the Colin Olsen squash. He's the Feel Good Jobber of the Decade.

He's going to either be the modern day Barry Horowitz or 1-2-3 kid!

The Rockers and Rougeaus wrestled some ironman matches on house shows in 1989.

Looking forward to next week's show, since I'll be there live!