TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Prophet of Mike Zagurski

WWE General Discussion - January 2008

IIRC, when Orton was feuding with Cena I read that they were traveling together. I've read reports that Cena is well liked and people were happy since they were saying Orton can learn how to act from Cena. I say good for him. Someone needs to stand up to HHH if what is said is true.

It was pretty crowded, again TONS of little kids (but these kids were loud and crass, using language I hardly use)

I saw a group of 5 to 8 years olds yelling suck it to a bus driver as they crossed the street

Kids at wrestling events are the most vulgar demographic I've ever encountered. I've been to shows in Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Youngstown and it's the same everywhere. If I have kids, it makes me want to keep them away from wrestling.

Taken from 411, from PWInsider:

- Jimmy Wang Yang and Shannon Moore qualified for the Royal Rumble by defeating the Miz and John Morrision at the WWE Smackdown/ECW house show in Canton, OH yesterday.

I assume Miz & Morrison will still qualify on TV, and Yang fits in a little, but Shannon Moore in the Rumble? It's just weird.

I don't even find Maria all that hot

See, totally gay.

Kelly Kelly, Layla, Michelle McCool, Melina, Mickie James are all hotter then Maria.

No, no, about the same, body yes face no, yes.

A lot of people are looking at Randy Orton as a locker-room hero. Basically, he's the one guy who will stand up to guys like Triple H & Shawn Michaels.

For example, during the Iraq show, Umaga was getting new tights made, and the seamstress said he couldn't use certain colors because they were "Hunter's colors." Umaga insisted anyways. When Shawn Michaels saw the tights, he threw a fit (think about that for a second... a 40 year old man throwing a hissy fit over someone else's pants). Orton, then stood up for Umaga, in front of everyone.

A lot of folks backstage really hate Hunter right now, feeling he'll be friendly to your face, but bury anyone who gets over, not named Cena. A lot of people lost respect for him because Booker T was well-liked, and they feel the reason he went to TNA was because of Triple H's burying of him at SummerSlam. It is said that Hunter is less-liked now, since coming back from injury, than ever before. His remarks about Chris Jericho's return didn't help matters. Of course, nobody is willing to stand up to him, because Hunter is untouchable. Orton, however, has the sense that he has enough power at this point that he CAN stand up to Hunter, and people backstage respect him for it.

- WON

The first sign of that the end of the world is upon us.

While I don't think Orton is untouchable as he thinks he is, I don't scoff at the idea that he could become a lockerroom leader. Firstly I remember hearing somewhere that Orton was a douche to fans to live his gimmick, also that growing up on the road stories of the good ol' days he went out of his way to live the rockstar life so he could have stories to tell (If you are self-aware, that's just ridiculous of course). Also recently he got married and is going to become a father, that has a way of mking somebody grow up. He's 27 years old, closer to 28 - it's about the time one usually starts getting their life together.

It was pretty crowded, again TONS of little kids (but these kids were loud and crass, using language I hardly use)

I saw a group of 5 to 8 years olds yelling suck it to a bus driver as they crossed the street

Kids at wrestling events are the most vulgar demographic I've ever encountered. I've been to shows in Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Youngstown and it's the same everywhere. If I have kids, it makes me want to keep them away from wrestling.

I totally believe it. I was at the Georgia Dome Nitro in July 1999 when Bret Hart came out and did the speech about Owen Hart. There was this kid a few rows back making jokes about Owen dying and the fat ass rednecks that likely brought him to the event were laughing their jumbo asses off. If I had been a little bit older (I was 15 at the time), I probably would have made a scene about it. Maybe the kid didn't understand death or that Owen was really dead, but it was really disconcerting to hear such a small kid say such offensive things.

I went to a ECW show at the Hara Arena in Dayton (which is the HQ for rednecks) and I saw a kid, he couldn't have been any older then 7 and he was throwing out strings of profanity that would have made the Dudleys' jaws drop. The father just sat there and the most I saw him do that resembled parenting was tell him "sit down, son, I can't see the ring".

Man, worst thing that's happened to me involving a kid at a wrestling show was when a couple of 10/11ish year old girls sitting behind me inadvertantly shrieked in my ear when Batista came out for his match with Rey Mysterio Jr against King Booker and Mark Henry at the last house show I went to in June '06. I guess he constitues as a sex symbol for prepubescent female wrestling fans these days.

Same thing happened to me at a House Show in 1995 when I was sitting a row ahead of about 5-7 pre-teen/teenage girls. After Shawn Michaels came out (it was Michaels and Diesel v Mo and mabel) I swear my ear drum was busted

I totally believe it. I was at the Georgia Dome Nitro in July 1999 when Bret Hart came out and did the speech about Owen Hart. There was this kid a few rows back making jokes about Owen dying and the fat ass rednecks that likely brought him to the event were laughing their jumbo asses off. If I had been a little bit older (I was 15 at the time), I probably would have made a scene about it. Maybe the kid didn't understand death or that Owen was really dead, but it was really disconcerting to hear such a small kid say such offensive things.

I was in 10th grade when Owen died, and I remember the day after it happened most of the kids at school were making jokes about how "the nugget finally got flushed", and how they never liked Owen anyway. Even though everyone was atleast 16, I have a feeling most of them probably thought wrestling was real, and hated Owen because of his heel character.

I've never noticed many potty-mouthed kids at WWE house shows, but I've been around quite a few moronic, drunk adults going on about things like how much better WWE was when Stone Cold was around.

Did anyone watch Heat this week?

Charlie Haas is the man, even though WSX already did this. And fuck the announcers that thought that wearing a mask = luchador style.

- WWE has reached out to The Rock to have him induct his father Rocky Johnson and grandfather Peter Maivai into the WWE Hall of Fame this year. Sources say The Rock is up to the idea, but it will all depend on his movie schedule. Last year, WWE wanted him to induct his father into the Hall but The Rock's schedule wouldn't allow for it.

Source: WrestlingObserver.com

This week's edition of Friday Night SmackDown! score a 2.8 fast national rating. That's a very strong number and one of the higher ones the show has done as of late.

Speaking of ratings, the USA Network finished 2007 on top of the ad supported cable networks in prime time, averaging a number of 2.68 million viewers, with no doubt some help by WWE. Last year, the company did 2.63 million and was still at first place -- which they also finished at in the 18-34, 18-49, and 25-54 age group breakdowns. TNT got second at 2.2 million viewers averaged, while ESPN -- the carrier of the number 1 ratings show Monday Night Football -- finished third with a 1.95 million. Though USA gets the win this year, remember those numbers are for ad supported cable shows, hence Disney which would have taken first with2.69 million, doesn't count.

Source - Wrestling Observer

-- APW wrestler Kafu has signed a developmental deal with World Wrestling Entertainment. Below is the release from their official website:

It is with great honor and pleasure to announce that the World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (WWE) has signed former APW Universal Heavyweight Champion KAFU to a developmental deal.

Those who know KAFU in this industry can tell you that this is well deserved and it could of not gone to a more genuine person. All Pro Wrestling will miss KAFU but we are more than excited to see what the future holds for him. We want to thank all those who have taken part in helping KAFU throughout his career.

Thank you KAFU for all your time in All Pro Wrestling, we will miss you.

-- Former WWE Women's champion Lita and her band the Luchagores will be performing a concert this coming Friday at The Venue in Dalton, Georgia.

source: PWInsider.com

-- In WWE's '15 Years of Raw' special magazine that was released on newsstands this past Tuesday, they put out a "Bottom 15" list composed of former WWE talents who they believe overstayed their welcome in the promotion. It's interesting to note that a number of the people listed are either individuals who spoke out on the drug issues within professional wrestling this past year or are currently employed by TNA. WWE doesn't give any reasons for why certain people are on this dubious list, as it's simply a list of talent. Anyway, here is who they put down:

15 Superstars Who Overstayed Their Welcomes (Raw 15th Anniversary Magazine - January/February 2008 issue)

15. Too Cool (Scotty Too Hotty and 'Grand Master Sexay' Brian Christopher)

14. The Patriot

13. Terri Runnels

12. Muhammad Hassan

11. Clarence Mason

10. Joey Abs

09. Joey Mercury

08. New Age Outlaws (Billy Gunn and Road Dogg)

07. Test

06. Maven

05. Debra

04. Tiger Ali Singh

03. Christy Hemme

02. The Headbangers (Mosh and Thrasher)

01. Scott Steiner

-- The Stone Cold Steve Austin: Legacy of Austin DVD is now up for pre-order at WWEShop.com. The 3-disc DVD set is scheduled to be released on February 12, 2008.

-- Developmental talents Charles "The Hammer" Evans and Nattie Neidhart are on the road with the SmackDown & ECW brands this week. Evans worked a match with Kenny Dykstra and Neidhart worked her first WWE bikini contest at last night's house show in Canton, Ohio.

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- If you recall, Stevie Richards was getting a fair amount of television time on ECW broadcasts throughout the summer and into the fall, but without warning, he completely disappeared. He hasn't appeared on a single show since mid-September. What happened is that in October, Richards' difficulties breathing worsened to the point that he needed have surgery on his throat -- the first of five surgeries in 2007. Joey Styles wrote on the ECW website: "Stevie's difficulties breathing worsened weekly until finally in October, Stevie endured the first of five surgeries that would continue through the remainder of 2007. The purpose of these surgeries was to open up Stevie’s airway, which had slowly and steadily been closing since April, and then to attempt to restore Stevie's voice to the way it had sounded prior to the initial injury in 1997." Styles notes that Richards has been suffering from issues stemming from his voice dating back to May 1997 after he broke his neck in a match with Terry Funk. Funk dropped a steel guardrail on top of Richards which struck him right in the back of his neck. Styles then goes into detail on the number of problems Richards has had to endure over the years in his column at this link. There's also a post-surgery photo of Richards' neck showing a huge stitched-up scar.

-- Thanks to NIXON for the following... So I met Candice Michelle Tonight... She just randomly showed up at PWG's All Star Weekend show tonight. AND She was clad in a Joey Ryan shirt, which was awesome! First, I would like to say that television does that woman no justice. I have never been a big fan of her, but she is a knockout in person. Absolutely beautiful. Second, she's class act all the way. Extremely friendly with everyone,posed for pictures, gave hugs, answered questions, and she stayed for all four hours and watched the show. She seemed to be a legitimate fan. And did nothing to make herself known or take away from the show to focus on herself. So yeah, I am a converted Candice fan.

-- Former WWE tag team The Gymini tried out for NBC's American Gladiators. They didn't get a callback for the show.

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

-- On the heels of the Signature Pharmacy scandal, WWE revised their drug testing policy and said they were going to start testing talent for marijuana. The marijuana testing is basically non-existant as they only test talent once a year, and if you fail, it's only a $1,000 fine.

-- Even though Vickie Guerrero is the General Manager of SmackDown, her WWE contract only calls for her to do TV and PPV shows, but no house shows. Now that he's back, Theodore Long handles the G.M. duties at SmackDown house shows.

-- WWE has signed Gary Marasciulo, who wrestled as Plazma for Mikey Whipwreck's New York Wrestling Connection promotion, to a developmental contract. This is the same place the former Major Brothers came from.

WWE Magazine doled out awards on the best and worst of WWE in 2007. Here is a list of the winners:

The 2007 WWE Magazine Awards

Superstar of the Year: Batista

Diva of the Year: Candice Michelle

Tag Team of the Year: Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch

Match of the Year: Undertaker vs. Batista at WrestleMania 23

Newcomer of the Year: Santino Marella

Breakout Star of the Year: Hornswoggle

Announcer of the Year: JBL

Comeback of the Year: Rey Mysterio

Most Improved: Candice Michelle

Underrated Superstar of the Year: Jimmy Wang Yang

Rivalry of the Year: Matt Hardy vs. MVP

Best Mic Skills: Mr. Kennedy

Best Roster Swap: Mr. Kennedy To Raw

Overlooked Match of the Year: Mr. Kennedy vs. Jeff Hardy Raw 7/23

Best Match We Didn't Pay To See: John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels Raw 4/23

Jerk of the Year: Randy Orton

bi*ch of the Year: Beth Phoenix

Best Finisher: CM Punk's "Go To Sleep"

Best Surprise: Chris Jericho's return to WWE

Best Pyro: Bobby Lashley

Best Entrance: John Morrison

Best Makeover: Big Daddy V

Best PPV: WrestleMania 23

Best WWE Magazine Cover: Rey Mysterio 'Spiderman' cover

Most Realistic Raw vs. SmackDown 2008 character: Mick Foley

Funniest Moment: Santino Marella sings Amy Winehouse

Worst Injury: John Cena

Shocker of the Year: Hornswoggle revealed as Mr. McMahon's son

Best T-Shirt: Hardys Illustrated shirt

Best Action Figure: Jeff Hardy Unmatched Fury Series 3

Source: PWInsider.com

Last night was the season premier of Donald Trump's hit show, "The Apprentice". Instead of the typical format of young business people competing for a job with Trump, this season it's "Celebrity Apprentice", with 14 celebs competing to win money for their favorite charities. We can now confirm that WWE Chairman Vince McMahon will be making several "boardroom" appearances on Celebrity Apprentice this season. It is likely that one of the weekly challenges will be WWE-themed.

Speaking of Vince and the Donald, the real estate section of today's New York Daily News newspaper has an article about Vince buying a new $4 million apartment at Trump's Stanford, Connecticut luxury high-rise building Trump Parc. Here's a snippet from that article:

Vince McMahon and Donald Trump might have wrestled on television, but they get along great when it comes to buying an apartment. McMahon just snatched up a penthouse at Trump Parc, the Donald's Stamford, Conn., luxury high-rise in partnership with Louis Cappelli and Tom Rich. Our Connecticut Mata Hari tells us that McMahon, whose World Wrestling Entertainment headquarters is based in the Connecticut city, paid slightly over $4 million for his penthouse pad, the highest ever for a Connecticut condo.

Vince also owns a $15 million apartment in Boca Raton, Florida.

-- Thanks to Matt Sommo for the following... Hey an update to the Gretzky article: myself and a bunch of friends attended the RAW in Philadelphia around Halloween time and there was a video crew going around taping people trying to get WM in 2010 to come to Glendale, Arizona they asked us why do you think Wrestlemania in 2010 should be in Glendale, Arizona and then recorded us. The cameramen said the video would be sent to Vince for him so see and that nothing was confirmed. They were giving out a few of these shirts as well, but did stress nothing was confirmed but were actively trying to get the event to Arizona.

-- Big Vision Entertainment plans on releasing one of those "Before They Were Stars" DVDs on CM Punk this April. They've released DVDs on Samoa Joe and Rey Mysterio in the past year.

-- During WrestleMania 24 weekend, Ted DiBiase will be on board a "Wrestlevessel" themed cruise being put together by Northeastern indy manager Bobby Reidel. The cruise will run from Thursday, March 27 through Monday, March 31, 2008 and it will include a stop at WrestleMania. For more information, visit www.wrestlingfancruise.com.

Source: PWInsider.com

- There is an article in today’s Albany Herald that looks at the proposed changes that would remove WWE's exemption from being regulated by the Georgia Athletic Commission. The piece features comments from several area politicians and is online at this link.

- Rob Van Dam has launched RVD TV on his web site. Click here to check it out.

- ESPN.com’s Page 2 features a story on the author’s visit to the American Gladiators Set. The piece features comments from Hulk Hogan. You can read it at this link.

Weirdest house show booking I've ever seen: Tatanka going over Mr. Kennedy cleanly, just two or so weeks before Kennedy fought Batista at GAB '06. If Kennedy by some chance ever wins the World title, I'll always fondly recall the time he got beat clean by a washed up Tatanka.

Even weirder is knowing that Matt Hardy ended Kennedy's undefeated streak by beating him clean on TV (since Matt Hardy was still jobbing duty during that time. Well technically it was Eddie Guerrero who did it first, but that was a DQ). I don't think Kennedy got his win back from Version 1 either.

-- Big Vision Entertainment plans on releasing one of those "Before They Were Stars" DVDs on CM Punk this April. They've released DVDs on Samoa Joe and Rey Mysterio in the past year.

If it's the one I've seen advertised, the front cover mentions that it's his work in Full Impact Pro (ROH's sister company). So it looks like a possible re-release of the "Best Of CM Punk: Declarations" compilation that's out there.

I went to a ECW show at the Hara Arena in Dayton (which is the HQ for rednecks) and I saw a kid, he couldn't have been any older then 7 and he was throwing out strings of profanity that would have made the Dudleys' jaws drop. The father just sat there and the most I saw him do that resembled parenting was tell him "sit down, son, I can't see the ring".

I remember New Jack basically doing the opposite and encouraging a little kid to swear.

-- In WWE's '15 Years of Raw' special magazine that was released on newsstands this past Tuesday, they put out a "Bottom 15" list composed of former WWE talents who they believe overstayed their welcome in the promotion. It's interesting to note that a number of the people listed are either individuals who spoke out on the drug issues within professional wrestling this past year or are currently employed by TNA. WWE doesn't give any reasons for why certain people are on this dubious list, as it's simply a list of talent. Anyway, here is who they put down:

15 Superstars Who Overstayed Their Welcomes (Raw 15th Anniversary Magazine - January/February 2008 issue)

15. Too Cool (Scotty Too Hotty and 'Grand Master Sexay' Brian Christopher)

14. The Patriot

13. Terri Runnels

12. Muhammad Hassan

11. Clarence Mason

10. Joey Abs

09. Joey Mercury

08. New Age Outlaws (Billy Gunn and Road Dogg)

07. Test

06. Maven

05. Debra

04. Tiger Ali Singh

03. Christy Hemme

02. The Headbangers (Mosh and Thrasher)

01. Scott Steiner

Muhammed Hassan didn't overstay his welcome, the moron writers didn't have any common sense and put him in a bad situation. Network complained and as a result the writers punished Hassan by taking him off television and sending him back down to developmental to be re-packaged. Copani was right to walk - it wasn't his fault. If anything I remember that he was "hard to work with" because he wouldn't do half the shit they wanted him to do.

Hemme overstayed her welcome by befriending HHH and making Stephanie jealous? Or overstayed her welcome because she posed for Playboy and once you do that the wwe has no use for you anymore?

I believe Tiger Ali Singh also balked at taking part in storylines that would mock his religion. Who would have thunk it. Also his father was rich, meaning he didn't need to wrestle.

How did Too Cool overstay their welcome? Wasn't it the WWE themselves that was cramming the two dancing white boys and the fat dancing samoan down our throats week in and week out? I kinda sorta don't understand this list. These are all people THEY forced on US. We didn't ask for it!

A lot of people are looking at Randy Orton as a locker-room hero. Basically, he's the one guy who will stand up to guys like Triple H & Shawn Michaels.

For example, during the Iraq show, Umaga was getting new tights made, and the seamstress said he couldn't use certain colors because they were "Hunter's colors." Umaga insisted anyways. When Shawn Michaels saw the tights, he threw a fit (think about that for a second... a 40 year old man throwing a hissy fit over someone else's pants). Orton, then stood up for Umaga, in front of everyone.

A lot of folks backstage really hate Hunter right now, feeling he'll be friendly to your face, but bury anyone who gets over, not named Cena. A lot of people lost respect for him because Booker T was well-liked, and they feel the reason he went to TNA was because of Triple H's burying of him at SummerSlam. It is said that Hunter is less-liked now, since coming back from injury, than ever before. His remarks about Chris Jericho's return didn't help matters. Of course, nobody is willing to stand up to him, because Hunter is untouchable. Orton, however, has the sense that he has enough power at this point that he CAN stand up to Hunter, and people backstage respect him for it.

- WON

I thought Booker T left because he and Orton both failed another drug test and only Booker got punished?

Let me give some thoughts on that bizarre list.

15. Too Cool (Scotty Too Hotty and 'Grand Master Sexay' Brian Christopher): I can actually see Scotty by himself, since he got unbelievably stale by the end of his run.

14. The Patriot: WTF? The guy was in the WWF for a few months in 1997. He served his purpose and then left, certainly didn't stay around to wear out his welcome.

13. Terri Runnels: Eh, she might have hung around a while past the point of anyone caring.

12. Muhammad Hassan: Agree. The guy sucked, his gimmick was terrible and embarrassing, and I am so glad he got released.

11. Clarence Mason: Not a great manager, but he wasn't awful either. Didn't really overstay his welocome.

10. Joey Abs: Why him and not Rodney or Pete Gas?

09. Joey Mercury: This is rich. The guy wrecks his face in the match with the Hardys, his tag partner is still getting pushed....what have they got against the guy?

08. New Age Outlaws (Billy Gunn and Road Dogg): Obviously. In fact they should be top 3 here.

07. Test: Agree. He was incredibly stale and even in his ECW run was overpushed. I bet he was about 15-0 vs. RVD during that time period and NO ONE cared.

06. Maven: Nah. He really wasn't pushed that hard and in fact probably had more to offer than WWE figured.

05. Debra: This has to be because she spoke out against WWE, because she certainly added to Jarrett's act in 1999, added to Austin's in 2001, etc.

04. Tiger Ali Singh: He sucked but wasn't really around enough and wasn't pushed long enough to wear out his welcome.

03. Christy Hemme: She got released too fast to wear out her welcome, but we know the reason for this.

02. The Headbangers (Mosh and Thrasher): Man, they seem to really hate these guys. They weren't great by any means, but I never loathed them or anything.

01. Scott Steiner: Heh, not that Steiner's WWE run wasn't awful but he was only there for maybe a year and provided a lot of car wreck entertainment.

How on earth were Chyna and X-Pac not on this list? They were the very definition of people who wore out their welcome and were ungodly stale.

WWE champion Randy Orton was recently interviewed by The Herald Sun out of Australia. Below are highlights from the interview:

Q: What do you want to bring to the wrestling industry?

A: I'm young, I'm good at what I do. Hopefully, me being young and good at what I do opens the door for other people in this business who are at a young age and accelerating at a high rate. Talent like Mr Kennedy, John Cena, Bobby Lashley, Shelton Benjamin, Brian Kendrick and Paul London.

I would like to take the game away from the guys in the over 40 club -Triple H, Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker. It's at the point where their bodies are so broken down, they can't really hang with the younger guys. We have our injuries, we make our mistakes - personal and professional - and we learn from them. What I would like to bring to the industry is the next generation of men and women to represent athleticism, attitude, charisma, and the overall perception of being young talent as opposed to (laughs) old, balding talent.

Q: What do you want to bring as a 1-on-1 fighter?

A: Whether I'm winning or losing, I'd like to leave all the fans believing I was the most talented in the ring. We all know it's entertainment. It's not necessarily real. You get hurt a lot, so it's not fake, but at the same time, we go out there and bust our humps to put on a good show. I feel this younger generation can bring to the table a more intense, aggressive, athletic style of wrestling.

Q: What moves does a wrestler have to make to be standout star in the WWE?

A: Growing up in the business was one of my biggest breaks because I got my foot in the door. Other people have to pay money to learn how to wrestle and, a lot of times, get ripped off because they go to the wrong people. There aren't a lot of people in the industry who know what they're doing, let alone those who can actually teach. I think there are only 10 people, myself included, of course, who truly know what they're doing. I feel sorry for people who spend money to learn how to wrestle. I didn't have to to do that, so I didn't pay any dues in that repsect. But I paid them in other ways, countless ways. I got handed an opportunity, but what I did with that was up to me. It takes something special to be a star in this business because there are a lot of guys who are in and out quickly. You forget about them while they're still here. The real trick is to have longeivity in this industry. If you can stick it out for five or six years in this business, chances are you know what you're doing.

Q: What advice did you get from your father (wrestler Cowboy Bob Orton) and grandfather (wrestler Bob Orton Sr) about what to do, and what not to do?

A: My dad always said: 'Save your money.' My grandpa said: 'Watch out for the other guys.' Everyone has a gun pointed at you. It's whether you give them a bullet to use. I keep my mouth shut and I don't get too personal with everybody because it's competitive. The best friend I travel down the road with would love to see me break my leg because they'd have a chance to get my spot. It's like any other sport. When someone gets hurt, injured, suspended, in trouble - it opens up opportunities for other people. It's a shame, but it's a very cut-throat business.

Q: Your mother was concerned about you choosing a wrestling career. What were her worries?

A: My mum was concerned I'd be gone from my family, like my dad was. And that I'd be living with the temptations that come with travel and having people adore, hate, love or despise you.

Q: Speaking of which - you married Samatha Speno in September. How's that going?

A: I've been married two months and I've only been home seven nights with my wife. That sucks. My wife is a beautiful and strong woman. She puts up with a lot. She has got the full-time job of being a housewife. I've got the part-time job of busting my body so that we can live in the house we do, she can wear the $40,000 watch she wears and she can drive an Escalade.I'm busting my hump so that it can be possible.

Q: What was your perception of marriage, and does it measure up?

A: We were engaged for two years and lived together for three. I didn't think anything would change, but it has. I have a new respect for her. Being able to call her wife is - alone - awesome. Being able to say: 'I miss my wife,' or: 'I need to call my wife.' She's my wife. I'm responsible for her more than ever.

Q: You've said Triple H really understands the psychology of wrestling. What do you mean?

A: Triple H is the best at getting fans to react a certain way. He knows when it's the right time to do certain things as far as getting fans to either jump down your throat or cheer for you. Triple H and The Undertaker are both good at it. And it's ironic because I said they were too old for this business. I suppose with their ancient ages comes experience (laughs).

Q: What is the reality of your WWE life? What do you go through daily?

A: It's rough and it's tiring. I had three hours sleep last night, not because I chose to go out, but because that's what we were allotted to have. We don't have an off-season and we pay for our own rental cars, food and hotels. My expenses are well over $US100,000 ($113,500), sometimes double that. But I spend that so I can work here. They say we are self-employed but, at the same time, we have to be somewhere on time, and we have to dress a certain way. Obviously, I'm a bit of a rebel (Orton grins and tugs on the Gold's Gym singlet he is wearing), but f--- the dress code. It's retarded. The travel sucks, injuries suck but you can't complain because where else do you go to wrestle? Where else do you go to be on TV in tights, with knee pads and shark skin boots and have people go: `Yay!'? Nowhere! You don't bitch because this is the only place to make money doing what we do.

Q: You've been a babyface (hero) and heel (villain) in your career. What are your observations about both sides?

A: Being a babyface sucks, unless you're 300 pounds like Batista, or a character everbody wants to see live, like The Undertaker, or Hulk Hogan, who has charisma. Maybe it's because I'm not good at it, or I'm a d---head in real life. It's easy for me to go out there and be a pr-ck on the show because it's me times 10. And even though you probably don't like me anyway, give me five minutes, and I'll make you not like me more. Being a heel is fun. It comes so natural.

Q: Your character has done some outrageous things. How did you approach the incident, before a match against Rey Mysterio, where you publicly said the late wrestler Eddie Guerrero is in hell?

A: I didn't want to do it because I loved Eddie. Rey and I, even though we were fighting each other, were very, very close friends with Eddie. So we called Eddie's wife and asked if it would be OK. It was heavy stuff. It got people to hate me and Eddie knew it would - God rest his soul. Later, Eddie's wife said Eddie would have wanted me to do it, if it was good for business.

Q: What lessons has the WWE, or you, learned from the death of Chris Benoit? (Benoit, a former WWE champion killed his wife and son before hanging himself in June last year).

A: I guess you never know somebody like you think you do, that's for sure. I never saw him killing his family or himself. Whatever his personal problems, his personal demons were - I can't tell you, I don't know. I don't anyone will ever know except for God and Chris. But it was heavy enough to cause him to do what he did. The lesson is - you don't know anybody like you think you do.

Q: From your vantage point, what is the magic of the WWE. What keeps it vibrant and relevant?

A: There is a constant rejuvenation every week, whether it's a character or a storyline. There is always a change taking place, something to keep you watching - a cliffhanger to see who the mystery opponent is, or what the match stipulation will be. There is always that intrigue which Vince (McMahon, WWE CEO), the writers and the wrestlers are very good at doing. We create drama. And everybody wants to see a fight. People want to see you rip a shoulder from its socket, or get cut open, be hit with a chair, twist an ankle or break vertebrae. If somebody threatened to jump off a building right now, there would be a crowd at the bottom to watch him do it. It's human nature People want to see f---ed up s---. So they watch RAW.

book_win_friends_lg.jpg

- WON

I thought Booker T left because he and Orton both failed another drug test and only Booker got punished?

Booker's departure was the culmination of a few things - his wrestling fed not being picked as a developmental despite being a better choice than Deep South, getting fed to HHH, and the drug suspension (which is the straw that broke the camel's back).

On the subject of WWE Magazine, I picked up the "Greatest PPV Moments" and "Best of 2007" issue hoping for some smarkish commentary. An amusing note is the PPV issue calls the Wargames match "too difficult to understand" - "The match beyond? Yeah, beyond comprehension maybe".

How exactly is War Games hard to understand?

Two teams of either four or five people. Two men start. Coin toss to determine which team sends the next guy in. The match can't end until everyone is in the ring. Once everyone is in, "it's submit or surrender".

Must be a lot of retards at WWE Magazine.

If they can't understand Wargames I'd love for them to sit down and analyze a King of the Mountain match. Now that one is baffling if you aren't familiar with it.

Wargames is no harder to understand than a Rumble match really.