TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zappafrank

Worst Excuse for a Face Turn

To go along with the "Worst excuse for a heel turn" thread, what are some of the worst excuses for a face turn?

Jamie Noble and Nidia turning face b/c they had an orgy with Billy Gunn and Torrie Wilson comes to mind.

I seem to recall early 1994, when Maxx Payne pretty much out and out said he was a face now and started teaming with Cactus Jack.

Speaking of Jamie Noble, is he becoming a face now or is Chuck Palumbo becoming a heel?

Answer: They are they both going to be off the show in a month and everyone will forget it ever happened.

Orton getting kicked out of Evolution, and being booked as a face. As far as I was concerned with the way the segment was booked, Evolution was turning face by kicking the egotistical World Champion out of their group.

Kane turning face because Snitsky killed his rape child.

This bugged the crap out of me as well. Again, with the booking, I think it made more sense for Snitsky to be the face, since he spared Lita the burden of carrying Kane's rape shild.

Hogan becoming a face in WCW by wearing red and yellow again.

NOTE: I know that technically the Flair-Hogan match at Uncensored 1999 was a double turn for storyline purposes but after three years of Hogan doing everything he could to screw WCW over (from both a real life and kayfabe standpoint) I'm not sure either of them actually turned.

Hogan becoming a face in WCW by wearing red and yellow again.

NOTE: I know that technically the Flair-Hogan match at Uncensored 1999 was a double turn for storyline purposes but after three years of Hogan doing everything he could to screw WCW over (from both a real life and kayfabe standpoint) I'm not sure either of them actually turned.

I like how quick the announce crew was to jump on Hogan's bandwagon again just because he changed the color of his tights. As you stated, after 3 years of running roughshot over the company, he was quickly accepted as a face again. I remember Sting's "turn" at Fall Brawl 1999, and how quickly the announcers condemned Sting for hitting Hogan with the bat and winning the World Title. Wait a sec, you guys rallied your undying support behind Sting for over a year and a half wanting him to rip Hogan apart, and he hits him with the bat, winning the World title, and you call him an asshole for it?

Savage turning face in 1987 simply on the basis of being associated with Hulk Hogan

Mickey James turning Face in 2006 for really no explainable reason at all

Savage turning face in 1987 simply on the basis of being associated with Hulk Hogan

Wasn't Savage's face turn driven more by the fact that he finally started standing up for Elizabeth against the Honky Tonk Man, and Hogan giving his seal of approval simly sealed the deal?

Wasn't Savage's face turn driven more by the fact that he finally started standing up for Elizabeth against the Honky Tonk Man, and Hogan giving his seal of approval simly sealed the deal?

Not really, the entire face turn was one match on SNME. Honky Tonk Man was fighting Savage heel vs heel, and HTM got DQ'd or something. Anywyas, the end result was the Hart Foundation coming out and beating up Savage and holding him so HTM could bash him with the guitar. Liz interjected in front of Savage, so HTM shoved her aside. This prompted Hogan to make the save, and Savage was a face after that.

Luger getting off a chopper and slamming Yoko. I mean, he was booked as an egotisitcal heel and then all of a sudden he's a face, because he hates fat guys like Yoko?

They'd been teasing Savage's face turn for weeks though. Challenging Honky for the belt was almost enough for the face turn, Honky was that hated.

The face/heel dynamics of that angle were really messed up. I mean, Lita turned heel when she dumped her rapist husband.

The face/heel dynamics of that angle were really messed up. I mean, Lita turned heel when she dumped her rapist husband.

Using WWE logic Lita was always a conniving Jezebel who willingly slept with Kane.

Luger getting off a chopper and slamming Yoko. I mean, he was booked as an egotisitcal heel and then all of a sudden he's a face, because he hates fat guys like Yoko?

That bothered me as a 100% mark little kid. I remember thinking, "Wait a minute... wasn't he a bad guy, like yesterday?"

Mickey James turning Face in 2006 for really no explainable reason at all

She wanted to fuck Trish. Who doesn't?

Yeah, IIRC.. isn't that the year where at Wrestlemania, Mickie before hitting Trish with a DDT or some move spread her fingers like a "V" then licked from the palm up which got a huge pop from the crowd?

I mean, Candice Michelle was a heel but when she showed up at the D-X BBQ and "received" oral from a woman, she turned face.

So, this can only prove that: Lesbians = Faces

Using WWE logic Lita was always a conniving Jezebel who willingly slept with Kane.

I think the real problem was when they tried to tie in the Edge/Matt "shoot" angle over Lita. One week Kane's this sick rapist, then the next week he was only pretending to be a sick rapist because Matt and Lita were in a relationship for real. So I guess he turned face because Edge cost him a title shot and stole his pretend wife.

No, it's because he hates fat Japanese guys like Yoko.

Yeah Luger's face turn in 1993 sucked all sorts of ass. I think there needs to be some valid reason for what's going on, not just being a heel narcissist one day and a patriot the next. As in Luger should have had a falling out with Heenan or someone on Raw, renounced the Narcissist gimmick, then promised we'd see a new side of Lex Luger. Then he shows up and slams Yoko. He would have gotten over much better.

As far as Kane/Lita goes, bear in mind that Kane didn't rape Lita. It was a bizarre consentual thing where she nailed Kane to keep Matt from being beaten up. Why she didn't make Kane wear a condom or use the pill herself I have no idea. Either way it was a demented angle.

Having watched these PTW shows from 1987, Savage was turning for most of 1987. Note that Gorilla started putting over his talents more and more, while Savage in interviews would mention how he wanted the IC title back and that meant HTM. He was very much a tweener for a while in 87 and then that HTM match where he got bashed with the guitar and the Hart stable threatened Liz cemented his face status.

As far as Kane/Lita goes, bear in mind that Kane didn't rape Lita. It was a bizarre consentual thing where she nailed Kane to keep Matt from being beaten up. Why she didn't make Kane wear a condom or use the pill herself I have no idea. Either way it was a demented angle.

Of course he raped her. Consent gained through coercion is NOT real consent.

Well, Rikishi was mentioned in the heel thread...

Why not here too?

I mean, he went back from "Bad Man" to "Dancing Fatty" just because Foley had sunglasses of his past and his old music, IIRC.

Yeah, IIRC.. isn't that the year where at Wrestlemania, Mickie before hitting Trish with a DDT or some move spread her fingers like a "V" then licked from the palm up which got a huge pop from the crowd?

mickievwm.gif

Also, Doink the Clown turning face because... Lawler was mad at him for losing and he dumped a bucket of water on Bobby Heenan. Lame.

I'd like to see Kane convicted of rape in a court of law over that shit. He didn't personally threaten to do bodily harm to Lita herself, just that he was going to kick Matt's ass. He gave her the option of saying no (which any non skank would have done). What a hilarious storyline though....it made Lita look like a whore, Matt came off like a pussy, and Kane was a pseudo rapist.

I'd like to see Kane convicted of rape in a court of law over that shit. He didn't personally threaten to do bodily harm to Lita herself, just that he was going to kick Matt's ass. He gave her the option of saying no (which any non skank would have done). What a hilarious storyline though....it made Lita look like a whore, Matt came off like a pussy, and Kane was a pseudo rapist.

Yeah, and then her boyfriend would have got beaten up. Quite an option he gave her there. :rolleyes:

Even though Lita wasn't directly threatened, it was still rape, because she didn't give consent of her own free will, without threat or coercion. And no, it doesn't matter that it wasn't Lita herself who was under threat. Look it up.

Also, what was Petey William's motivation to turn face last year? All I remember is him suddenly cheering on the American flag and getting forced cheers?

Also, what was Petey William's motivation to turn face last year? All I remember is him suddenly cheering on the American flag and getting forced cheers?

There was an angle with LAX in a park about to burn the American flag. Petey was with them and had a change of heart. He was holding the flag and a blow torch, looked at it for a second and cut what was actually a pretty good promo about as much as he hated the war mongering and greed of America, he appreciated having opprotunities in the U.S. The turn itself wasn't that bad, but having him wear American flag trunks and such was fucking stupid.