TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

Getting Black Lushus started on how horrible the GI Joe flick is turni

HA! My man DocV! Sorry for derailing the box office thread, guys!

Oh man, is this ever turning out to be horrible.

Not even Transformers was looking this bad at this stage of development...and of course, it ended up turning out to be a decent movie, by the time all is said and done.

Casting is the biggest issue at the moment. The only acceptable casting so far is Dennis Quaid as General Hawk and Ray Park as Snake Eyes (though he may be a little short?). I don't know who the guy playing Storm Shadow is, but he's Asian, so that's a good thing. I also like Arnold Vosloo, but I still say he'd make a better Destro. Not even because of the shaved head he usually sports, but more from the heavy accent and the brutality he's able to portray.

Here, I'll just c/p what Wiki has on it already:

Paramount has commissioned the development of a live-action G.I. Joe film following the success of the 2007 Transformers feature film. The film is being slated for a 2009 release date with Stephen Sommers as the director[3][4] and Stuart Beattie as the scriptwriter.[5] The film will feature an international anti-terrorism task force based in New York[6] (previously Brussels)[7] called G.I.J.O.E, (a backronym for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity), instead of the US-centric team featured in all previous incarnations in order to internationally market the film.[3][7] The film will feature Destro and the Baroness as the main villains, the Dreadnoks as mercenaries and Cobra's hired muscle, and Cobra Commander in a "puppet master" role. Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow's rivalry will be one of the film's main plot points.[6] The film will take place ten years in the future.[8]

Sienna Miller has signed on to play the Baroness,[9] with Ray Park playing Snake-Eyes.[10] Byung-hun Lee and Rachel Nichols have signed on to play Storm Shadow and Scarlett[11] while Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Said Taghmaoui have signed on to play Heavy Duty and Breaker.[12] Marlon Wayans has signed on to portray Ripcord.[8] Channing Tatum has signed on to portray Duke.[13] Arnold Vosloo and Dennis Quaid have signed on to portray Zartan and Hawk, respectively.[14] David Murray has signed on to portray Destro.[15] Joseph Gordon-Levitt has signed on to portray Rex.[citation needed] The film began shooting production on February 11, 2008.[16]

Larry Hama has signed on to be the film's creative consultant.[17]

Channing Tatum as Duke? Come on...is he a dancing wigger soldier?

again I say: MARLON WAYANS? I know we need comic relief, but surely they could do better?

I understand they need a good young attractive cast, but I really question a lot of this.

You know who would make a good Baroness? Famke Jansen, channeling her Xenia Onatop character, book it!

I do like them focusing on the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow relationship, you kinda sorta have to.

Definitely a wise move to have Larry Hama onboard, considering all he's contributed to GI Joe.

Man I don't know about that...you HAVE to have a jive talking, rhyming southern guy to do Roadblock and I dont think Adewale can adjust his heavy heavy accent that much.

Umm.. what? (in reference to what AboveAverage quoted).

Oh shit, that was a quote that I was going to reply to in another thread but didn't and somehow it ended up in here. I didn't know that could happen. I guess what Lushus said makes sense, but why even cast Adewale in the first place? I don't think there were many heavily accented African American Joes.

Well, they're going for the "team made up of international operatives" approach as opposed to "Real American Hero", so casting Adewale makes sense. Since Heavy Duty is a little known Joe, other than knowing he's black, I can see why they went with that role instead. Casting him as Roadblock would have been absolutely unacceptable and I think the producers realized it.

Well, they're going for the "team made up of international operatives" approach as opposed to "Real American Hero", so casting Adewale makes sense. Since Heavy Duty is a little known Joe, other than knowing he's black, I can see why they went with that role instead. Casting him as Roadblock would have been absolutely unacceptable and I think the producers realized it.

Oh, I had forgotten that the team was supposed to be international. But isn't being an American organization kind of integral to the whole idea of G.I. Joe? I mean they have the red, white, and blue stripes in their logo. I know they had some foreign born members, but I think that they should have kept it American, rest of the world be damned if they have a problem with it.

I think that the Joes that are essential to making the movie would have to be Duke, Snake-Eyes, Scarlett, Roadblock, and Gung-Ho. You've got the badass marine, the badass black guy, the woman, the badass ninja dude, and the leader. At least they got Cobra right with the Commander, Destro, and Baroness. Pretty cool that Zartan is in it, too.

Hollywood is all about not putting the USA above all else, so the change doesn't surprise me at all. Can't have the US looking all big and bad, now...still doesn't make it any less annoying.

I loved G.I. Joe growing up, and the news about this is so far scaring the shit out of me. Snake Eyes was always my favorite, so I like Ray Park casting, but most of this stuff gets a serious "Huh?" from me. Like Lushus said, why not have Vosloo as Destro? Big, bald, creepy yet somewhat cultured sounding (listening to interviews, he definitely doesn't sound like a moron)? What else do you need? I don't see Sienna Miller as The Baroness. The Baroness had the whole dominatrix vibe. Miller has the whiny bitch vibe. As stated earlier, a Xenia'd Famke Janssen would have been about as good as you could expect. Finally, Marlon fucking Wayans. I could sarcastically say "Hey, he brought the acting to Dungeons and Dragons didn't he?" but I'm still trying to forget that movie existed. I'm just going to say "White Chicks" and go home.

What if it was played by Kennan Ivory Wayans? He was awesome in "I'm gonna get you sucka"

I get a Street Fighter vibe about all of this. Only without the outstanding overacting of Raul Julia to make it amazing*.

*watched it yesterday on ShowtimeExtreme

Ok....

From what I have heard...Cobra Commander isn't a "puppet master"...he is the "master in the shadows" as in you don't know it's him until the end of the movie...this movie will be a la "GI Joe Begins" showing the beginning of COBRA and the putting together of GI JOE...with M.A.R.R.S. being the organization the Joes are going after...a subplot being the rise of COBRA...which...makes sense to the comic story line...as DESTRO and family were in the International Arms Market way before COBRA...

As for the casting...it is mostly crap....

Quaid, Park, and the Storm Shadow guy are just fine...

Miller as Baroness? No way...I think Famke's name was mentioned...that's perfect...

Duke? As a skinny no talent guy? No way...remember...

Duke is supposed to be next in line under Hawk (Yeah yeah...Flint's a biggie too)...wouldn't he be older even in a "GI JOE Begins" story?

I have tons of opinions for this...as I used to fantasy cast a new Joe movie every two years as a kid...I once had Tom Cruise/Nicole Kidman for Flint/Lady Jaye and Michael Jackson as a slithery creepy Cobra Commander...

Marlon Wayans has been really good at least once, but it was in Requiem for a Dream, and that wasn't funny.

He was good in Above the Rim aswell, atleast IMO.

Oh and Black Lushus, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje did a very good job at hiding his accent in Get Rich or Die Tryin'.

I haven't seen it, I'll take your word for it.

Did you ever read the comics, Lushus? I thought they were some of the best written books in the eighties; even though I was too young to collect them initially, I use to burn up my allowance on back issues and ended up owning every issue from 35 on. Hama was a great writer, he made Serpentor's story pretty interesting and also did a great job writing Wolverine's solo series.

I read the majority of them, stopped rigth after the war in Trucial Abysma. One memorable moment was when Dusty carried his friend all the way back to camp only to find it he had died along the way.

I read the comic pretty much from Issue one to the final issue...favorites being the Snake Eyes origins (26 and 27), the creation of Cobra Island and finding out the rest of Snake Eyes/Storm Shadows past into Serpentor...then dropped off after the ninja crap...picked up again with the Cobra Civil War....and faded out when BattleForce2000 came along....mostly because I got all of BattleForce2000 for Xmas one year...when all I wanted was the freakin' Terrordrome. Which I finally got at 25 5 years ago. Instead of the plane popping out, it pops out a bottle of booze now. Quite the convo piece.

I thought we should put the Rex thing in spoilers...but...it's a year and a half til the movie...so...maybe it'll change....I just think they should follow with the way Joe got put together...but...with Hama on board...it could be very, very good...the Wade Collins story-line in the comic was amazing (it dealt with Vietnam ALOT), and, could definetly use today's world (Iraq, terrorism, corporate greed) to make COBRA verry, very interesting....

All I know is that I am a waaaayyyy bigger JOE fan boy than Transformers...and I was critical about that movie...so....anything less than 60% of my vision is gonna suck. Because that's the way I am. A big whiny asshole.

Now back to hating John Cena and loving Ronald McFondle.

I read the majority of them, stopped rigth after the war in Trucial Abysma. One memorable moment was when Dusty carried his friend all the way back to camp only to find it he had died along the way.

That's the ending of All Quiet On The Western Front

I enjoy Sienna Miller, but then again, I am not extremely well-versed in GI Joe, so my opinion on that one probably doesn't count.

I do think Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be good in his role because most of his work as of late has been solid.

it saysLevitt is playing a guy named "Rex"...now I've heard Duke has a buddy in the film named Rex. What are the chances "Rex" ends up being exposed as CC?

I went to Levitt's wikipedia page to look up some other stuff and in his filmography, rather than listing him as Rex for GI Joe, it lists him as Cobra Commander, so it looks like you may have cracked it early, if things don't get changed

it saysLevitt is playing a guy named "Rex"...now I've heard Duke has a buddy in the film named Rex. What are the chances "Rex" ends up being exposed as CC?

It's Hollywood, of course it will. And man, nothing would be more horrible than knowing Cobra Commander's real name was Rex. I mean jeez.

Sienna Miller was horrid in Stardust. I was glad she was in it for a grand total of 15 minutes.

This will not be better than the GI Joe Movie with Sgt. Slaughter dropping elbows on Nemesis Enforcer going, "This ones for Duke. This ones for America. This ones for me."

It cannot top that.

I'll be cautiously optimistic, but I think my childhood will be raped savagely with this movie... but I thought the same about Transformers and it took me back to Saturday mornings.

I just want Sargent Slaughter to have a quick cameo somewhere in the film, that would make me happy.