TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in Baseball 9/8 - 9/14

I'm actually not 100% sure about the Friday game as ESPN has yet to post it on their website but both the Mets and Braves sites have it scheduled so I'm going with it. I didn't even know ESPN was switching to a Friday schedule for the last month (although I guess they have to bow to their NFL overlords) until finding the D-Backs/Dodgers game on by accident last Friday.

Also the 4th homerun that is hit tomorrow night will be #250,000 in MLB history. Who you got?

Magic Numbers

Angels: 3

Cubs: 16

White Sox: 18

Mets: 18

Dodgers: 19

Rays: 20

Red Sox: 14 (Wild Card)

Brewers: 16 (Wild Card)

ESPN/FOX/TBS Games to Poison Our Youth

WEDNESDAY

Rays (Andy Sonnanstine) at Red Sox (Josh Beckett), 7:00/4:00 PM EST, ESPN

FRIDAY

Rays at Yankees, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

Braves at Mets, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Brewers at Phillies, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Tigers at White Sox, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

SUNDAY

Blue Jays at Red Sox, 1:30 PM/10:30 AM, TBS

Tigers at White Sox, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

So these are the matchups for Sox/Rays this week:

MON: Edwin Jackson vs. Jon Lester

TUE: Scott Kazmir vs. Dice-K

WED: Andy Sonnanstine vs. Josh Beckett

The matchups are fairly favorable to Boston. I still don't know how he does it, but I'd take Dice-K over the inconsistent Kazmir. I think they take 2 of 3 and take over the lead. The Blue Jays can be major spoilers in the division race since they still have 7 left with the Sawx.

Brewers/Phillies playing four games this week, couldn't come at a better time. 'Course I'd prefer that the Brew Crew get their shit together and take it to Philadelphia but even if they don't that's games towards the Wild Card for the Mets.

I'll say home run number 250,000 is hit by Jorge Cantu. Why not?

Guest Smues
And I'm disappointed in myself now, although I'd go with Bigger Boner. Any mod feel free to change it.

Ehh, I prefer it as it is.

I like the subtitle idea myself.

Despite last night's loss, good series from the Phillies to take two of three from the Mets. The Mets though took the season series 11-7. They outplayed the Phillies and if they go on to win the division at this point, good for them.

Red Sox/Rays kick off tonight for a three game series. Rays have a 1.5 game lead, so only a sweep will knock them entirely out of first place.

I was at Miller Park yesterday and got to see Mat Gamel's first MLB hit. That's a game where you just tip your cap to the opposing pitcher and move on, otherwise.

Wagner has a torn ligament (MCL) in his elbow and is out for at least A YEAR. Therefore he's done for 2008 and most, if not all, of 2009. Time for the Mets to drastically overpay for K-Rod this offseason and then watch him not live up to the hype. The cycle must continue!

Good lord. This is, what, the fourth severely underestimated injury of the year so far?

I'm not terribly concerned about the rest of this year since the team has shown the ability to win without him - I'm more upset that they've gotta eat that $10.5 million of his contract for 2009. Blech.

The next home run to leave the park is #250,000. Sheffield, Ordonez and Bay so far tonight.

EDIT: And it's Gary Sheffield, with his 2nd of the night!

EDIT 2: From the Phillies' Stump the Fans Page

September 2

Question: Who are the only four Phillies to hit home runs in five straight games?

Answer: Chase Utley (2008), Bobby Abreu (2005), Mike Schmidt (1979), Dick Allen (1969)

Winner: Alan Keiper, Pocono Pines, PA

Sweet!

The next home run to leave the park is #250,000. Sheffield, Ordonez and Bay so far tonight.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy :rolleyes:

EDIT 2: From the Phillies' Stump the Fans Page

September 2

Question: Who are the only four Phillies to hit home runs in five straight games?

Answer: Chase Utley (2008), Bobby Abreu (2005), Mike Schmidt (1979), Dick Allen (1969)

Winner: Alan Keiper, Pocono Pines, PA

Sweet!

Nice work! Win anything?

Thanks to FSN: Florida for deciding to go with Marlins v. Phillies instead of an actual fight for first place in Rays v. Red Sox. Wouldn't want to see that, what am I thinking?

Thanks to FSN: Florida for deciding to go with Marlins v. Phillies instead of an actual fight for first place in Rays v. Red Sox. Wouldn't want to see that, what am I thinking?

I'd rather Rays/Red Sox, but it's not like Phillies/Marlins is a nothing matchup.

I think it's decided in advance though. ION (whatever that is) has tonight's game.

I'd rather Rays/Red Sox, but it's not like Phillies/Marlins is a nothing matchup.

I'm currently watching the game live on stupid gamecast. I'd rather watch a big 3 game series for the AL East lead than Phillies/Marlins where the Marlins are 8 games out. Especially since they always seem to do this. We have FSN: Florida and FSN: SunHD, two different channels, with the same feed of Phillies/Marlins.

I'm currently watching the game live on stupid gamecast. I'd rather watch a big 3 game series for the AL East lead than Phillies/Marlins where the Marlins are 8 games out. Especially since they always seem to do this. We have FSN: Florida and FSN: SunHD, two different channels, with the same feed of Phillies/Marlins.

Honestly, would you expect the SD and HD channels to show completely different programming?

My big screwjob comes this weekend. Fox has Phillies and Mets in separate matchups. I have Fox affiliates in New York City and Scranton available. Watch both pick up the same game.