TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chrislatimer

they would never of worked as a heel/face

I came up with this topic because i was watching a best of ricky steamboat dvd i have and to me he will always be the ultimate babyface. The man had such a ablity to sell and then when he made his comeback he used to be able to get all the live crowd behind him. (except in flair loved parts of the north) .

And i was thinking he would of been the most unrealistic heel in the history of wrestling and that includes goldberg.

So basically which wrestlers do you think would not of worked as a heel/face or did you really dislike any wrestlers turn e.g the orton 2004 face turn is a good example.

Orton is an odd case in that I think as a wrestler he would be much better served being a face, where he wouldn't have to dictate the match with his tedious headlock offense. The problem with that is that Orton the character is such an unlikable douche that it's tough to get behind him.

I don't think Tito Santana would have been a very good heel, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Million Dollar Man Red Dibiase, IMO, would NEVER work as a face. That's about as classic of a heel character as you can get.

I kind of enjoyed Regal's various face runs. I just never really understood his "Achy Breaky Hart" sounding theme he used while teaming with Eugene. You can't deny how much the crowds would get behind him when he was facing HHH (during HHH's 2004 Heel run against Eugene), and beating the holy hell out of him the entire time, only for HHH to get DQ'ed or something. I always found it strange how Regal was one of the few faces that HHH would allow to control a match against him.

Definately agree with the Sting comment. Can you imagine if he was Hogan's role in the NWO. That wouldn't have worked anywhere near the level it worked with Hogan.

Ricky Morton as heel never worked. If they wanted to go that route, Robert Gibson should have been the heel. Ricky Morton was the ultimate face.

was the sting one a full fledged turn though. it seemed a bit confuzzled that whole thing.

The WCW announcers definitely acted like it was a heel turn. Sting hit Hogan with a baseball bat to win the WCW title at Fall Brawl 1999, and the announcers were all flipping out about how Sting had just betrayed us all and blah blah. IIRC, Sting hit Hogan, and probably got the pop of the night. The WCW faithful would never boo sting. Sting WAS WCW, and was there to defend them from the nWo. You probably couldnt make the fans at the time boo sting. Even now in the Main Event Mafia, he and Nash are outpopping most of the faces. Nash even got cheered like crazy when he cheated to pin Joe at the live Impact last week.

Ricky Morton as a heel is just plain wrong. No one, and I mean NO ONE can play "face in peril" during a tag match like him.

was the sting one a full fledged turn though. it seemed a bit confuzzled that whole thing.

The WCW announcers definitely acted like it was a heel turn. Sting hit Hogan with a baseball bat to win the WCW title at Fall Brawl 1999, and the announcers were all flipping out about how Sting had just betrayed us all and blah blah. IIRC, Sting hit Hogan, and probably got the pop of the night. The WCW faithful would never boo sting. Sting WAS WCW, and was there to defend them from the nWo. You probably couldnt make the fans at the time boo sting. Even now in the Main Event Mafia, he and Nash are outpopping most of the faces. Nash even got cheered like crazy when he cheated to pin Joe at the live Impact last week.

Ricky Morton as a heel is just plain wrong. No one, and I mean NO ONE can play "face in peril" during a tag match like him.

I never bought that sting turn. and As for morton i will always say steamboat is the greatest babyface of all time. but ricky morton is a dam close second and should never of been a heel

And for the people who think am nuts by calling ricky morton the 2nd greatest babyface ever i mean the ability to sell so well and make the comeback that the crowd adore you.

I think almost any heel can work babyface late career. There comes a point where even megaheels like Fred Blassie, Sheik, etc. are around so long, they have the fans grudging respect. Match them up against a bigger heel, you can get something special.

I'd strongly agree with that but at the same time, I'm not sure if any great babyface can work heel.

You know what I would've liked to have seen? A heel Ultimate Warrior. I think he was a heel back in UWF with Sting as The Blade Runners but he was babyface for the whole time after that. Evil Warior would be a trainwreck I would have loved to watch.

Reports were that Warrior was supposed to turn heel against Savage at Summerslam 92, but he refused at the last minute. I would've loved to see what the office could've come up with for him at that point.

You know what I would've liked to have seen? A heel Ultimate Warrior. I think he was a heel back in UWF with Sting as The Blade Runners but he was babyface for the whole time after that. Evil Warior would be a trainwreck I would have loved to watch.

I did sorta have a dream of a heel Warrior.

He was wrestling in modern WWE...then as he went for his "Rope Recharge" at a PPV with black ropes, his hair turned white and his ring attire turned black.

I didn't get a chance to see what happened afterwards.

I've long thought that Warrior should have been brought back in the early '00s as a heel, sans makeup and Warrior garb. He could have played a character based on his real-life conservative lunatic persona. I think a nutjob character deriding the fans for being into steroid monsters and the "old" Warrior could have worked. Think of something like Right to Censor, but with a wrestler fans actually cared about.

I think almost any heel can work babyface late career. There comes a point where even megaheels like Fred Blassie, Sheik, etc. are around so long, they have the fans grudging respect. Match them up against a bigger heel, you can get something special.

I totally agree with that. It's strange to see Honkey Tonk Man getting face pops right now.

Al Snow as a heel in late '99. He tried, but it just didn't work.

I think that would have worked if they had stuck with it for more than two weeks. The music they gave him was bad ass. Wish I had an mp3 of it.

Also, I think a heel Warrior could have worked at some point, playing a bit off his real life persona as others have mentioned. He could also brag that no one can beat him, etc. Just imagine him fighting someone like John Cena, and no selling all Cena's moves, then beating him with a flying tackle and big splash. Big time heat.

Do you think at this point in his career a heel John Cena would work? I really don't think they would try giving his appeal to kids, and his merchandise sales, but even if they tried, I think it would go over about as well as Austin turning heel in 2001 by alligning with Vince McMahon.

Do you think at this point in his career a heel John Cena would work? I really don't think they would try giving his appeal to kids, and his merchandise sales, but even if they tried, I think it would go over about as well as Austin turning heel in 2001 by alligning with Vince McMahon.

I think Cena could go back to being a heel quite easily. The economics of the situation will never allow it, at least not in the near future. Still, super baby-face John Cena generates a lot of heel heat... so if he really cranked it up, he could be the biggest heel they have (And just by default, put him in a feud with Randy Orton, have them switch places, and people would be cheering Orton like mad to beat the snot out of Cena)

Orton is an odd case in that I think as a wrestler he would be much better served being a face, where he wouldn't have to dictate the match with his tedious headlock offense. The problem with that is that Orton the character is such an unlikable douche that it's tough to get behind him.

I could see Orton getting some face pops for being a cocky tough guy who dosn't give a fuck what anyone thinks. I was surprised the crowd didn't turn in favor of him when he was punking out Adamle on Raw.

I can't see Rey ever working as a heel.

I don't know. The first time I watched WCW, I think it was Bash at the Beach 2000, my friends told me that Goldberg was an asshole and Nash was the face. I beleived them. Back then I was quite uninitiated in wrestling, not having cable tv, and beleived them. I have a feeling they also thought what they told me. So to me I can't see Nash as a heel. I can't see Jim Ross as a heel, I can't see Jeff Hardy as a heel. I'm very sure I wouldn't be able to see R-Truth or CM Punk as heels either. Just haven't seen them in such roles.

I don't know. The first time I watched WCW, I think it was Bash at the Beach 2000, my friends told me that Goldberg was an asshole and Nash was the face. I beleived them. Back then I was quite uninitiated in wrestling, not having cable tv, and beleived them. I have a feeling they also thought what they told me. So to me I can't see Nash as a heel. I can't see Jim Ross as a heel, I can't see Jeff Hardy as a heel. I'm very sure I wouldn't be able to see R-Truth or CM Punk as heels either. Just haven't seen them in such roles.

CM Punk is a great heel. He's straight edge, just go holier than thou, talk down to everyone who drinks and smokes, easy transition.

I don't think Jeff could work as a heel, simply for the fact that his whole moveset is based around popping the crowd, and he's not solid enough on the mic to really give a money heel turn promo. So even if they tried turning him, his high risk moves would still keep him popular.

Rey sucked at his failed heel turn for this very same reason.

I think that would have worked if they had stuck with it for more than two weeks. The music they gave him was bad ass. Wish I had an mp3 of it.

------------

http://www.xylotthemes.com/themes/alsnow

Brody to the rescue!

Holy crap! That is awesome! THANK YOU!

Seriously, I've been dying to hear that again for a long time (though was too lazy to do a search). Just picturing that music playing with evil psycho Al Snow coming out in his black and white tights makes me remember how WWF dropped the ball on him big time with that aborted turn.

As far as Orton, I could see him being a face someday, but not anytime soon. Maybe they can do something eventually like having Priceless & Co. turn on him, and Orton decides he's had enough and needs to help WWE put them away, etc.

Al Snow as a heel in late '99. He tried, but it just didn't work.

Definatley agree. I also agree that even with expert booking, there are some people that should never be heel. Snow is one of them. You can't turn the "goofy but likeable" babyface into a heel because the fans just won't take it seriously. They tried turning Eugene heel last year and it bombed miserably.