TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Worst Series of All Time

OK, I was just thinking which two wrestlers/teams have had the worst series of matches against each other. My gut reaction is Giant Gonzalez Vs The Undertaker but then I remembered they really only had two matches. Upon further thought, I'm going to have to go with The Nasty Boys Vs Harlem Heat.Now I know none of their matches were egregiously bad like Taker/Gonzalez but none of them were remotely good either. They were just forgettable dreck, the worst kind of dreck there is. And it seems like they fought each other on every other WCW show from '94 to '97 just awful. This series is why I always thought WCW had a much weaker tag division than WWF as a mark (though in retrospect, it didn't).

Runner up is Sid Vs Kevin Nash. They fought in WWF a buncha time, fought in WCW a buncha times. Fought matches where Sid was heel and Nash was babyface. Fought matches where Nash was heel and Sid was babyface. But never did they have a match that wasn't terrible.

So what say you, TSM?

Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle: I didn't like any of these matches. They hype going in to this series, was these was the 2 best wrestlers in the world, which was a laughable claim to begin with, but hey it still could've been fun, however they weren't. These matches were glorified clusterfucks and they weren't even fun clusterfucks like Awesome and Tanaka. Kurt has a habit of working with everybody like their Benoit, and Joe has a habit of thinking he has to reenact every late 90's big time All Japan match he has ever seen. When you put the 2 together, what do you get? The lamest 2004 ROH opening match ever.

These aren’t the worse matches ever, but when you combine the hype and the ego's going in to the series, they were pretty terrible.

Edge and William Regal had a feud in early 2001 over the IC title that went nowhere. Bad matches, no heat and nothing memorable angle wise. Given the talent of the two workers and the amount of time they were programmed together, you'd think they'd have done something interesting. Nope.

Regal/Edge was a poor feud that managed to grace THREE PPVs with sub-par matches (though I think the Rumble outing is the best with an "ok" rating), but it did give the world The Power of the Punch.

Regal/Edge was a poor feud that managed to grace THREE PPVs with sub-par matches (though I think the Rumble outing is the best with an "ok" rating), but it did give the world The Power of the Punch.

I said this in another thread but the Regal/Edge feud was the Rick Martel/Tatanka feud of the '00s. Two competent workers stuck in a heatless feud that produces oddly boring matches for months on end.

The Cena/Booker best of 5 series from 04. It's a shame since I like both guys and really wanted to get into this, but they seemed to have no kind of in-ring chemistry.

For that matter, I didn't like Booker's I-C Title matches with Christian from 03 either.

The Cena/Booker best of 5 series from 04. It's a shame since I like both guys and really wanted to get into this, but they seemed to have no kind of in-ring chemistry.

The worst part about the Cena-Book series was that they could have just done the series in about 3-4 weeks, but no, they had to stretch it across two whole months.

Steiner vs. Test

The feud that just wouldn't end despite everyone's pleas. Chavo Guerrero vs C.M. Punk for The ECW Title earlier this year gets my vote. Not that the matches were bad, but it involved Chavo Guerrero, so very few gave a shit. Plus, they ran that feud into the ground by having those 2 wrestle every week on ECW for a while.

Torrie Wilson vs Dawn Marie

NOT for the wrestling though. Most feuds seem to go where the heel would seem to get the better of the face most of the times...not in this case. Torrie won every single match and the program went on forever

Sting/Vampiro-I've heard both guys blame the other for why it didn't go down well. Blame the timing of the angle, or the specifics. I've even heard Sting claim in an interview that he didn't even remember it. Say what you will but this is something that helped turn me off from WCW for quite awhile. The whole shooting that the business is fake on tv by the announcers and Russo didn't help matters either. These guys just did not click as rivals, but were decent as a team.

Here's a (potentially) highly contentious pick; Hogan/Andre. Now I understand the WrestleMania III match is iconic and deservedly so. But it's certainly not because of the workrate in that match. Have you actually watched that or any of the rematches lately? Just awful stuff. As a mark who got into wrestling back in the early '90s watching the VHS, I thought "Wow, those two big guys are going at it...wow, that kind of sucked." Again, I'm sure those who got into wrestling in the '80s are shaking their fist in anger at this statement but really, did any of those matches break *? And I'm a guy who doesn't mind the usual '80s Hogan Vs Fat Guy formula but Andre was just way too broken down at this point.

For that matter, I didn't like Booker's I-C Title matches with Christian from 03 either.

I actually enjoyed Cena/Booker best of 5, I thought their No Mercy 2004 match was underrated.

Here's a (potentially) highly contentious pick; Hogan/Andre. Now I understand the WrestleMania III match is iconic and deservedly so. But it's certainly not because of the workrate in that match. Have you actually watched that or any of the rematches lately? Just awful stuff. As a mark who got into wrestling back in the early '90s watching the VHS, I thought "Wow, those two big guys are going at it...wow, that kind of sucked." Again, I'm sure those who got into wrestling in the '80s are shaking their fist in anger at this statement but really, did any of those matches break *? And I'm a guy who doesn't mind the usual '80s Hogan Vs Fat Guy formula but Andre was just way too broken down at this point.

I think it's fair to separate their 1987 WM match from the feud that ran in the first half of 1988. And yes, those matches were awful. What I've seen of the '80 series wasn't much better either.

I didn't mind the Tatanka/Martel feud really. It at least established Tatanka as a star on the roster back then and the matches weren't too bad. But then I've always found Tatanka underrated. And at least it wasn't for a belt.

Years ago I remember railing against that Edge/Regal series as being nightmare level bad. It was just dreck on most levels other than the Power of the Punch being involved. I'll explain why it sucked: Edge was a blank slate back then. He had zero discernable ring style and just went with whatever his opponent did. If it was someone like Angle or Eddie, those guys did their thing and the match was compelling. But Regal is a largely slow paced, technical wrestler and needs Benoit or someone to force some drama into the match. In the end it was a guy who liked a slow, technical pace vs. a guy who had no real style at all.

The irony of the whole Regal IC "Power of the Punch" angle is that it was Rob Van Dam and not Edge who eventually figured out the brass knuckles and countered it at WM 18, and thus won the IC title. Even worse for Edge is that after months of awful matches with Regal RVD stepped in and had a fun match with Regal at that WM. Wanna know why? It was an actual contrast of styles, with RVD's wild high flying against Regal's slower technician.

Edge and William Regal had a feud in early 2001 over the IC title that went nowhere. Bad matches, no heat and nothing memorable angle wise. Given the talent of the two workers and the amount of time they were programmed together, you'd think they'd have done something interesting. Nope.

Regal's nose bled alot during that feud!

I didn't mind the Tatanka/Martel feud really. It at least established Tatanka as a star on the roster back then and the matches weren't too bad. But then I've always found Tatanka underrated. And at least it wasn't for a belt.

Years ago I remember railing against that Edge/Regal series as being nightmare level bad. It was just dreck on most levels other than the Power of the Punch being involved. I'll explain why it sucked: Edge was a blank slate back then. He had zero discernable ring style and just went with whatever his opponent did. If it was someone like Angle or Eddie, those guys did their thing and the match was compelling. But Regal is a largely slow paced, technical wrestler and needs Benoit or someone to force some drama into the match. In the end it was a guy who liked a slow, technical pace vs. a guy who had no real style at all.

The irony of the whole Regal IC "Power of the Punch" angle is that it was Rob Van Dam and not Edge who eventually figured out the brass knuckles and countered it at WM 18, and thus won the IC title. Even worse for Edge is that after months of awful matches with Regal RVD stepped in and had a fun match with Regal at that WM. Wanna know why? It was an actual contrast of styles, with RVD's wild high flying against Regal's slower technician.

It certainly didn't hurt that RVD was able to sell Regal's suplexes like death. Especially his half nelson suplex.

I never minded the Andre/Hogan matches. Hulk is Hulk, you know exactly what you're getting there. But I always thought Andre tended to be underrated as a worker. Sure, he was crippled and immobile by the late 80s. But he had air-tight psychology and was actually really good at selling a beating when he wanted to.

My vote? First one that comes to mind is Big Bossman/Big Show from 1999. All of their matches sucked hard. Bossman was somehow in a World Heavyweight Title match on Pay Per View in the year Nineteen Ninety Nine. And on top of all that, it was attached to a jaw-dropping storyline which was an instant piece of legit Wrestlecrap.

Also, any of Bobby Lashley's ECW title feuds from the first few months of his reign. Whether it was with Test or Holly or whoever, they were all stinkers. It seemed like Lashley would wrestle the same guy every single week on television for a month straight, and beat his opponent every time... yet somehow his PPV matches with the same guys tended to be much shorter and always have fuckoff non-finishes. Even worse, none of this shit got over with the live crowd; between his crappy competition and Lashley's inherent blandness, nobody outside of the WWE creative staff ever gave the tiniest shit about Bobby until the Vince feud. MAN was ECW the worst show in the world a couple years ago.

I couldn't stand the on-again-off-again Piper-Hogan program that went on in WCW. It always gave us lousy matches to end otherwise exceptional PPV cards. And don't even get me started on their disastrous cage match at Halloween Havoc. Yeah, no love for that one.

How about Hogan/Savage? I know their WM 5 match actually got some good reviews, but that's one that bored me to death from the first time I saw it. I don't think I really ever enjoyed any of their singles matches.

Nasty Boys v. Harlem Heat. Unless seeing Stevie Ray doing moves off of the bottom rope is your kind of thing.

The Gang Wars in WWF in 1997. Mainly because I only gave a shit about the leaders of the Boricuas and DOA.

Undertaker v. Orton. I thought this one was drug out waaaayyyy too long. Orton's effort at WM 21 probably would have gotten him over just as much as the other stuff.

The Kane vs. Big Daddy V series in late 2007 deserves a mention. Vince loves his big man battles but these two should just never be in the ring against one another. Kane had a really horrible year opponent-wise in 2007, working and generally putting over Khali, Henry and V.

Edited by tobin

What about Kane vs. Edge?

They've feuded numerous times, and their matches have always been HORRIBLE. The later matches were a bit better than the horrible series they had after Edge's neck surgery, but never had a match I would consider anywhere close to "good"

What about Kane vs. Edge?

They've feuded numerous times, and their matches have always been HORRIBLE. The later matches were a bit better than the horrible series they had after Edge's neck surgery, but never had a match I would consider anywhere close to "good"

Batista and Edge also had bad matches with each other last year.

Does anybody remember the Steiners vs. Fire & Ice feud from 1996? They wanted to save the decisive finish for their pay-per-view blowoff, so every week they were pitted against each other in bad matches that went to a countout or DQ. And by the second week you knew the outcome of the match before the bell even rang, so it was impossible to even care about what was happening in the ring.

Jim Duggan vs. V.K. Wallstreet was another WCW program from that time that never ceased to suck. It seemed like that company felt that we couldn't get enough of that feud, because it was on every other telecast.