TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2009 World Baseball Classic

Looking over that Dominican lineup, it was pretty poor. Despite the All Stars, only two of the nine hitters carried career OBPs better than .350. Only David Ortiz and Hanley Ramirez have career walk rates better than league average. Now this is important because they are mostly facing pitchers they have never faced before. Extremely limited experience and video scouting. That leaves them facing unfamiliar pitches throwing a truckload of offspeed stuff, and the hitters are hacking away.

Here's the weekend schedule. Times Eastern.

SATURDAY

Netherlands vs. Venezuela 1pm, MLBN

United States vs. Puerto Rico 8pm, MLBN

SUNDAY

Japan vs. Cuba 4pm, ESPN2

Saturday's Losers Matchup 7:30pm, ESPN2

Mexico vs. Korea 11pm, ESPN2

Japan vs. Cuba is a heck of a matchup. Cuba is the one nation that puts their best foot forward when it comes to international play, and they have steamrolled a few teams in this tournament. I can't really complain about the 11pm start time for Mexico/Korea, it is more convenient for fans of those nations.

MONDAY

Saturday's Winners Matchup 8pm, ESPN

Sunday's Losers Matchup 11pm, ESPN2

Guest Vitamin X

Japan vs. Cuba is also the long-awaited rematch of the last World Baseball Classic final. Aside from that strangely close Australia game, Cuba destroyed South Korea 8-1 and just got done annihilating Mexico 16-4. Bring on the fucking Japanese.

17,000 is better than I'd have expected for a game like that, to be honest. It's better than the Marlins get, and their games have TWO teams of Major leaguers.

The Nationals are in the Marlins' division, aren't they?

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/14047196

Pedroia leaves Team USA with rib cage injury

Dustin Pedroia has a strained left oblique muscle, and is headed to Fort Myers to be examined by the Red Sox medical staff. Pedroia, the American League's most valuable player, was scratched from the U.S. starting lineup for Saturday night's game against Puerto Rico.

"I started feeling a shooting pain, and Reggie Smith, our hitting coach, told me to shut it down," Pedroia said.

The Red Sox open the season April 6 against Tampa Bay, so Pedroia has more than three weeks to get ready for the season.

Is he the first "name" guy that's gotten hurt there? I haven't really been following it at all, but thought this was a big enough deal to post.

One of the interesting sidenotes going on is that Magglio Ordonez is getting booed viciously by his own crowd. Ordonez appeared on Venezuelan tv in an advertisement supporting Hugo Chavez and the elimination of term limits.

Those are the fake ass Venezuelans booing him. I'd be cheering him after that.

You mean the ones that were actually born in Venezuela and came to Miami because they saw their country going to shit? Yeah, right.

Miami's a hell of an interesting crowd, although I guess now it's obvious why the Cubans aren't going to play anywhere near there. Would've been great to see, though. I don't think any of the players would've said something that stupid with Castro unless they were forced to. Ordonez is an idiot.

If the crowd was made up of Alaska Natives he'd have been cheered, since Chavez gives them all 100 gallons of heating oil each year. Anyone else though, yeah he's getting booed.

You mean the ones that were actually born in Venezuela and came to Miami because they saw their country going to shit? Yeah, right.

No, the ones that are pissed that Chavez stepped on their shoes even though he had to with the enormous inequality.

No, the ones that are pissed that Chavez stepped on their shoes even though he had to with the enormous inequality.

I think there's more than an argument that can be made to say that Chavez isn't helping the country as much as you think he is, but this isn't meant to be political. All I'm saying is that it's asinine to think that they have no right or reason to be upset with Chavez, never the less a player who supports him.

What amuses me is that at the same time, Julio Lugo may have a torn meniscus from a Spring Training game.

Yea, but Lugo going down is a blessing.

On Sunday they will play the Japanese team, face Daisuke Matsuzaka, attempt to avenge that championship game loss from three years ago in this very ballpark. Four days ago, in a news story carrying a Havana dateline, Fidel Castro had been quoted as saying he’d most enjoy a championship when it went through Japan.

“The Japanese team is excellent,” his quote read. “I would like our victory in the Classic to be against this team, with great technical mastery.” Earlier in the tournament, Castro sent word of the “shame” of beating South Africa by only seven runs.

Out for blood.

And man, say what you will about Fidel Castro. But the idea that one of the World's longest reigning dictators was a former pitcher and a better baseball analyst than the guys on American tv is awesome.