TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2009 World Baseball Classic

I'm pissed that I can't watch this game. Stupid mlbtv

I watched it on mlb.tv. Are you blacked out or something?

I'm pissed that I can't watch this game. Stupid mlbtv

I watched it on mlb.tv. Are you blacked out or something?

It wanted me to buy a subscription, which I may or may not actually do for this coming season, I haven't decided yet. Did I miss an obvious bypass of that?

Oh yeah, WE WON! Huge sigh of relief, and I'm psyched because I really want to see us play Japan and Cuba.

David Wright knows how to win

USA! USA! USA!

It's not September and the Phillies aren't chasing.

Korea defeated Japan in the late game last night. So tonight it's Cuba vs. Japan at 11pm (ESPN2), loser goes home. That should be one hell of a game.

And putting Alex Rodriguez aside for a moment. If Derek Jeter plays defense for the Yankees like he does for team USA, the Yankees are not going to win shit this season.

I just got the MLB network and this was on last night... caught the 7th and meant to watch the rest. But I was getting tired so I just went to bed. Oops.

Saw the highlights, holy celebration out of team USA.

Kevin Youklis left the team because he suffered an injury a few days ago and apparently could barely walk after last night's game, but wanted to play anyway to avoid elimination. Not sure what's going on with him, but he's out for now.

Team USA's only bench player today is Brian McCann. I hope he brought his infielders glove.

There's a possible flaw with the format. A team runs into one difficult opponent and that's it. Cuba can't beat Japan, the Dominicans can't beat the Dutch. This is a big deal in Cuba though, it'll be interesting to see how that country reacts.

Cuba was pretty much doomed to lose. Their biggest flaw was being overly aggressive and their only strength was in power hitting, which looks really impressive when you're beating the shit out of a mediocre Mexican team but it's completely neutralized in Petco Park. I saw a bunch of hits the Cubans made that normally would've driven in some baserunners- the hits discrepancy was very little in both Japan games, they just keep leaving people on base with 2 outs. If they had played in Miami, it would've been a lot better, especially for the attendance and controversy it would've brought down there. I can see that MLB was just trying to milk a possible USA-Cuba Final, though.

Maybe if you lose once in your pool, you should get moved to another one or something, kind of like in poker tournaments where you have to switch tables at re-buy. It's gotta suck for the Cuban team, though- aside from losing something that's big on national pride as this, players on the team make like $550 a month and their allowance on food alone was probably way more than that these past couple days.

Yeah, there's definitely some flaws in the double elimination process, but Cuba would have run into Japan again at some point.

I don't know which of those 3 teams I'd rather play first. The US will get to add some more replacement players, right?

It was announced Evan Longoria will be replacing Chipper Jones. They might not be able to replace Youkilis as the only other first baseman available on the provisional roster is Derrek Lee but he has strained right quad so he won't be joining the team. Looks like they are going to try Mark DeRosa at 1st.

Not that it matters much anymore but does it strike anybody as odd that a team that was in the classic bought so much advertising for the event?

Yeah. Didn't really strike me until I saw that the orange noise sticks are branded with GotoPuertoRico.com along with everything else.

Starting Jeter at short and Rollins at DH just boggles my mind. Stick Jeter at DH, and give the best fielding shortstop in the league the start at short. It's the fucking semi-finals. Fuck Jeter's ego, he can be happy at DH.