• U2
    • Weezer
    • Nirvana
    • Tool
    • Pearl Jam
    • Metallica
    • Pink Floyd
    • Led Zepplin

Pink Floyd released one or two good albums and a few decent ones and are considered one of the greatest bands of all time. I never dug anything they did after Dark Side of the Moon, over pretentious shite.

I voted Nirvana, although it was a toss-up between them and Tool. The memory of people saying that Cobain was "the Hendrix of his generation" is what pushed them over the top.

Guest Choken One

Actually, The Nirvana/Hendrix comparison has meat...

Radio Head? Please I never heard such an self abortion inducing pile of drivel in my life.

All the songs are in that annoying "We're arty" vein that sounds like they were mutilated in the studio or something.

Radio Head is made for pretentious whiny college kids.

Guest Choken One

Nirvana is likely getting those votes because of Cobain...which is why it shouldn't say NIRVANA but merely Cobain...

Why just rock? Let's include Country, Hip-Hop and Jazz and Soul and Polka while we're at it.

Country? Toby Keith is the biggest joke to that genre in history. Ruined all the work Garth Brooks did to make it a respectable genre with mainstream appeal and revived EVERY single negative sterotype of the genre.

Hip-Hop? I'll let the resident Rap/Hip-Hop gurus like Ripper and CJ do this one..but I gotta Say I'm not a big fan of Snoop, I think he really isn't all that much of a rapper but merely is a "name" star because his charisma and personality.

Oh yeah, Toby Keith is a piece of shit. He's killed country's public perception with the American, Big Dog crap. Country was classy for quite some time, and now him and the Dixie Chicks have ruined it.

I went Metallica. Not their newer stuff, because I know that gets shat on: their older stuff. I have never seen the appeal. I'm largely not a metal fan to begin with, but their 80's stuff bores me more than most. I've probably not given it a fair shake, but they've never inspired me to do so.

I could have also gone Radiohead, even though I love them dearly and have every album. They've had a couple missteps (Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief being just okay and very good respectively) and very few publications or fans will ever call them on it. Still an excellent band though, if a bit unnecessarily invulnerable at this point.

Zeppelin, hands-fucking-down. I still have yet to hear a good Zeppelin song, because everything they have recorded is always 2 or 3 minutes too long, and the rest of the song just is the same 2 or 3 riffs being played while Plant sang about sex and drugs.

Redundancy does not a good band make.

Sabbath > Zeppelin. Deep Purple > Zeppelin. AC/DC (AKA redundancy done RIGHT) > Zeppelin. Fuck, KC & The Sunshine Band > Zeppelin.

Radiohead is more pretentious than Tool. At least Tool will take some time off between albums, whereas Radiohead is like "WE MUST RECORD THE MOST PRETENTIOUS, BORING SHIT ASAP."

Guest Adrian 3:16
Hip-Hop? I'll let the resident Rap/Hip-Hop gurus like Ripper and CJ do this one..but I gotta Say I'm not a big fan of Snoop, I think he really isn't all that much of a rapper but merely is a "name" star because his charisma and personality.

You're basically right on the money. Snoop hasn't put out a good album in years. Doggystyle was classic though. But after a certain point he stopped giving a fuck about making good songs and was content to just record lazy freestyles. Everyone loves him because he's a cool guy and funny as hell, not because of his recent work.

Anyway, my vote is Nirvana. I actually would much rather hear Nirvana over the likes of Weezer or Radiohead anyday, but they're still the most overrated band in history. Its one thing to like the music, but for the last decade I've had to hear how Cobain "was the spokesperson" for our generation. Fuck that, he was no spokesperson of mine. He cranked out a few catchy songs, nothing more, nothing less.

I couldn't decide between Tool & Radiohead, so I flipped a coin.

Tool.

Whoa whoa whoa....How in the hell is TOOL overrated...? I'd really like to know what your musical tastes are to think that the most overrated band of all time is TOOL. They have one of thee greatest drummers in rock today. That alone should justify the things people say about them...there's much more but that ALONE is enough

They have one of thee greatest drummers in rock today. That alone should justify the things people say about them

Huh?

Ok, dude, that's just plain silly. Like, seriously, you better be fucking kidding. I don't know who actually even drums for Tool, and I really don't care either. The thing is this - drumming alone does not a band make. And this is coming from a drummer.

And besides, if having one really talented band member makes you a great band, then Dream Theater should be universally praised as the greatest band on earth.

And come to think of it, I can't recall ever hearing any Tool drumming that really impressed me - And thanks to my cousin, I've heard quite a bit of Tool, though nothing off their newest CD, as far as I know.

Anyway, I voted for Nirvana, because they started a fad, which died out, like all fads do. I'm sorry, that accomplishment doesn't make you the greatest band ever.

I would've voted Radiohate, because I HATE them with a passion, but at least I don't hear many people saying that they're some great big huge thing that changed the world, or whatever.

EDIT: I just noticed I wrote "Radiohate", not Radiohead, but I'm leaving it that way. Isn't that like, a Freudian Slip or something?

Guest Choken One

WHAT?

Read any fucking"ROCK" magazine with all those whiny elitish pretentious cock smokers sucking Radiohead's dick

Who is the most overated...

The Tragically Hip: I couldn't remember who they were, so it can't be them.

Radiohead: Everyone likes to talk about them and acts like they are musical geniuses. Instead, they remind me of the Strokes: a band that rips off stuff other acts have been doing for years and gets credited with being visionary.

U2: They may have gone through many phases in their career, but they have consistently had albums that sold well and tours that have done well.

Weezer: Absence made them more popular when they returned with the "Green Album". However, people soon remembered that they weren't that special...aside from a Muppet video, "Maladroit" really didn't make an impact.

Nirvana: One word: Martyrdom. But they did seem to tear it up just fine while Cobain was alive.

Tool: A decent band. Luckily they haven't overexposed themselves over the years.

Pearl Jam: A decent band. Unfortunately they have overexposed themselves over the years.

Metallica: Very good and influential in the beginning. Now they're just riding the coat tails of their success.

Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin: both of these bands received their due in their hay-day. Thanks to an endless supply of re-released material, their legacies have been tarnished.

MOST OVERRATED: Radiohead.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Metallica out of spite, then U2.

Why the Tool hate? Maynard is a FANTASTIC vocalist and lyricist, the riffs can rock out like on Opiate, and completely go off the deep end into hypnotic awesomeness on the latter half of Lateralus. (By the way, Metal Maniac, you HAVE to hear that album.)

Danny Carey is indeed a very good drummer, and I'd agree he's an upper-echelon musician.

Personally, I don't think Tool gets ENOUGH credit. Four straight incredibly good albums? That doesn't happen these days. They're completely refreshing to have around considering the state of modern rock music. I think people are just impatient and want their riffs NOW, and not have to listen to several minutes of interesting build and atmosphere.

Guest MissMattitude

I went 'Nirvana'... even though I like them.

'Radiohead' were an extremely close seond.

Why are 'Weezer' in this list, I could name 20 bands off the top of my head that are more overrated than 'Weezer'.

EDIT: Who are 'The Tragically Hip'?

Pearl Jam: A decent band. Unfortunately they have overexposed themselves over the years.

Huh? Care to explain this?

They had 1 video post-Ten, and it hardly got play on MTV. They don't promote their albums w/ anything other than a tour.

Unless you're referring to the live CD's?

I don't get how Radiohead are considered so overrated. Literally half the reviews I read about them slam them, half the people you talk to slam them, half the articles written about them slam them. You could make an arguement that the people that support them overrate them, but they catch a ton of shit for an overrated band.