TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

Best Beatles Cover

Everyone and their mother has covered The Beatles. Who has done the best covers, though?

The best cover I've ever heard was by U2. They did a live version of "Helter Skelter." I'm not sure what album it's off of, but one of the classic rock stations play it a lot here.

Two more I really like are "Come Together" and "I'm Down" by Aerosmith.

I saw the topic and was all excited to make a joke about really loving the art on the White Album. Thanks for nothing.

U2's "Helter Skelter" is the opening track on Rattle and Hum, and I think it's awful. And that's coming from a heavy-duty U2 fan. There's a lot of hilarious crap on that album.

My favorite Beatles song cover, then, is probably Elliott Smith's take on "Because." It plays towards the end of the movie American Beauty, and it's on the soundtrack too. I like it cause it doesn't really muss with the original too much. Helps out that it fits wonderfully in the movie as well.

U2's Helter Skelter was off Rattle And Hum.

I'd pick Joe Cocker's With A Little Help From My Friends as the only cover I like more than the original.

Maybe The Carpenters's Ticket To Ride and Please Mr. Postman.

there's a local band in my area called the Cavaners, basically a tribute beatles band, with even costumes of Sgt. Pepper. They do some pretty sweet Beatles songs.

Vanilla Fudge was a funk cover band in the mid seventies and they did fucking sweet ass version of Ticket to Ride.

Also, Frank Sinatra has said that Something was one of his favorite all times songs and would perform it often in his later years. Also, Yesterday is the most coverd rock song ever, this barring Christmas tunes and standards that have been around for years.

Vanilla Fudge was a funk cover band in the mid seventies and they did fucking sweet ass version of Ticket to Ride.

Also, Frank Sinatra has said that Something was one of his favorite all times songs and would perform it often in his later years. Also, Yesterday is the most coverd rock song ever, this barring Christmas tunes and standards that have been around for years.

Funny sidebar, Sinatra said "Something" was his favortie Lennon-McCartney penned tune. One problem, it was written by George Harrison

No one said The Chairman knew everything about the business!

Steve

cocker's "with a little help from my friends" is the "all along the watchtower" of beatles covers.

michael jackson did a cover of "come together" that i really like for some reason.

and stanley jordan does a jaw-dropping instrumental version of "eleanor rigby."

(Y) @ the Breeders doing "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

Speaking of Kim Deal covering the Beatles, the Pixies did a cover of "Wild Honey Pie," which is on Pixies at the BBC I believe... it's nothing that I would really listen to more than a few times, seeing as how the original itself is probably my least favorite song off of The White Album, but it's definitely interesting in comparison. As a reviewers once said I believe, the cover shows that the Pixies could take any song and make it their own.

Michael Jackson's version of Come Together is without a doubt my most loathed cover ever. Madonna's American Pie and Guns N Roses's Knockin' On Heaven's Door are up there, but neither can generate the absolute pure badness of Come Together.

I know American's arn't fond of Oasis, but no other band could replicate the melodic brilliance of The Beatles while bringing in a huge force of sound to really power the song home. Honestly, it's hard to do justice in words as to how good Beatles covers sound when done by Oasis.

I Am The Walrus, Helter Skelter, I'm Only Sleeping and Help! being some of the very best.

I am, however, no fan of MJ's cover of 'Come Together'.

UYI

replicate the melodic brilliance of The Beatles while bringing in a huge force of sound to really power the song home

Yes, because "I'm Only Sleeping" really demands a huge force of sound.

I mock, because as much as I still dig those first two Oasis albums, I find their Beatles' covers generally crappy for the same reason you like them, I think. They take them way over-the-top, and not for the better.

replicate the melodic brilliance of The Beatles while bringing in a huge force of sound to really power the song home

Yes, because "I'm Only Sleeping" really demands a huge force of sound.

I mock, because as much as I still dig those first two Oasis albums, I find their Beatles' covers generally crappy for the same reason you like them, I think. They take them way over-the-top, and not for the better.

I'm afraid I was not specific enough in detailing which in particular are performed with Oasis' 'wall of sound'. 'I'm Only Sleeping' is one performed by both Stereophonics and Oasis at the same time, and is a very simple, straight forward tune (as it should be) with a modern edge to it.

Again, hard to put such work into words.

UYI

Guest Agent of Oblivion

In a cover of sorts, I love how Type O Negative blatantly rips off the chord at the end of "A Day in the Life" and places it at the end of some of their songs, just to sound cool.

Guest croweater

My favourite beatles cover is Strawberry Fields forever by Ben Harper.

I'm impartial to MJ's version of come together but it's not anywhere near as aweful as Madonna's "American Pie".

Has anyone heard the William Shatner (I have no Idea how to spell his last name) version of Lucy in the sky with diamonds. Apparently it's horrible.

Shatner's version is interesting, but not bad in a way that makes you say "That really sucks!" because if somebody said to you "Hey, what if William Shatner sung Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds!" it sounds exactly like you would expect it to sound.

I'm a big fan of Gray Matter's versions of I am the Walrus and I've Just Seen a Face ... but I should admit that I'm totally not a Beatles fan, so I really haven't listened to many of the other covers people have mentioned in this thread.

Shatner's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is probably one of the best songs he does. And you have to keep in mind that he doesn't sing, he does dramatic readings set to music. His best cover, EVER, is Rocket Man. Especially if you can find the video to go with it.

Go download Axl Rose and Bruce Springsteen doing "Come Together". That's good stuff, and if you can get the video, you get extra bonus points.

UYI, who's the girl in your sig?

Souxie and The Banshies covering "Dear Prudence"

Yeesh, can't believe I forgot THAT.

Glad Siouxsie Sioux is getting some credit in this thread. I might actually like that version better than the Beatles'. I dunno, the spacy feel and feminine vocals just do it for me on that particular song, I guess. And this says a lot, as I REALLY like the Beatles' version.

Other than that... yeah, Cocker's cover tops the Beatles' "With a Little Help From My Friends," I think... it just gives the song a whole new edge.

Oh, and does anyone have any opinions on Phish's live covers of several Beatles songs? I've never heard any of them, but apparently some of 'em are pretty good.