TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodSpikeJenkins

Preacher

I remember it first coming out, and me never getting it, I decided to start reading it now. So far, I'm 3 issues in where The Saint of Killers shoots Cassidy, and Arseface is in the backseat of Root's car.

Oh, and don't spoil anything!

I saw a guy in a black robe with the hood up and corpsepaint in the comic shop asking for it, and I thought "If that freak's reading it, it must be good." And it is. I have all the tpbs.

One thing I don't get though, is various people in the comic will say "Point." as in "You have a point.", but I've never heard anybody just say "Point." in my life. Maybe it's a... European thing. They said it in the Punisher tpb those guys did as well. That was called "Welcome Back Frank", by the way, and you oughta read it if you like Preacher.

I saw a guy in a black robe with the hood up and corpsepaint in the comic shop asking for it, and I thought "If that freak's reading it, it must be good." And it is. I have all the tpbs.

One thing I don't get though, is various people in the comic will say "Point." as in "You have a point.", but I've never heard anybody just say "Point." in my life. Maybe it's a... European thing. They said it in the Punisher tpb those guys did as well. That was called "Welcome Back Frank", by the way, and you oughta read it if you like Preacher.

Preacher/current Punisher writer is Garth Ennis, and I'm pretty sure he's from Ireland. That would explain the 'point' thing.

You'll love the end where it's all revealed that the entire series has just been the delusional fantasy of Jesse Custer.

You'll love the end where it's all revealed that the entire series has just been the delusional fantasy of Jesse Custer.

Really? I've only read random issues. So that was how it ended?

Guest The Notorious CRD

Preacher is an excellent comic with a great story. I'd love to see it adapted for the silver screen, as has been rumored. Only if done correctly though.

The book is so great they printed MY letter in it before they stopped running them, which was truly a shame, cause Im sure they just got more fucked up as time went along.

Hands down one of the best comics I have ever read. I own the first three TPBs and plan on getting the rest by the end of '04.

Better than Gaiman's Sandman ? I don't know about that. Great series, though.

Hands down one of the best comics I have ever read.  I own the first three TPBs and plan on getting the rest by the end of '04.

Better than Gaiman's Sandman ? I don't know about that. Great series, though.

Never got into Sandman, but for no real reason. Maybe you could suggest a good starting point (a TPB perhaps) for someone who knows nothing about the story? I too have heard many good things about it, but never picked it up for whatever the case was at the time.

If you want to try Sandman, you got to start at the beginning - pick the "Preludes & Nocturnes" TPB. If you try and jump in at any point after that, you'll likely just wind up getting confused as to who some of the characters are and their motivations.

I just got the last trade (Number 9) and read them all back to back. Great story a couple of the one shots are pretty poor though (Tall In The Saddle Especially, the art is just awful). But the main story is very good, with the Salvation story being my favourite part.

Preacher is an amazing piece of comics work. Probably, the second best extended series behind Sandman.

As to starting with Sandman, I think TPB 2 (the title escapes me at the moment) is actually easier to start off for new fans. Preludes and Nocturnes is a little rough around the edges, and the small plot points it introduces aren't really important to a new reader.

Saint of Killers was one of the few special series from Preacher that didn't seem pointless to me.

Really damn good, too.

Preacher is a weird, weird little comic. It was my introduction to the fucked-up mind of Garth Ennis, which isn't good, as Preacher is probably the heaviest and most brutal book he's written. (Yes, it IS more violent than Punisher.) The series has a problem with pacing at times, there'll just be four or five pages of random boring existential dialogue with NO plot movement whatsoever, but the characters are very well done, and the ending RULES. Period. Ballsiest thing EVER WRITTEN in comic book form, and I'm amazed that Ennis hasn't had entire legions of religious fanatics trying to murder him for it.

But no, I wouldn't say it's the Best Series Ever or anything. Sandman's better, as is several of Alan Moore's projects (Watchmen, From Hell, Miracle Man, etc), in my opinion.

You forgot Alan Moore's Swamp Thing as well, which I consider the original ideal that both Sandman and Preacher draw from.

Personally I felt the ending was lacking. Cassidy came off better then he should have and it leaves with a really big, now what factor since, the god is now dead and the saint is in his place, what will it lead too since most, if not all, of the angels are dead. What will the devil do?