TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Dames

I'm leaving New York City.

Now that I've told the people that I'm close with, I figure that it's alright to tell you guys now.

You guys all know that I live in New York, The Bronx, specifically. Well, after living here for almost 24 years, if things go through, I should be leaving the state in the next six weeks.

I've been out of work for months and every job that I've had since I dropped out of college has been administrative/office support positions that don't have much opportunity for advancement. I've been living with my parents for so long that if I don't do something, I don't think I'll ever get anywhere.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, a very good friend of mine who lives in Bristol, CT shot over an idea for me. It started out as a joke, but the more I thought about it and discussed it, it seems like more of a possibility.

He works at an insurance company and he tells me that they're hiring new sales agents. He said that if I'm able to get the position (which would be 28-30K starting plus commissions), I could stay with him until I'm able to get my own place. There are available apartments in his apartment complex, which are nice and are cheap compared to rent here.

My main concern at that point is how I'd get around, since I don't have my drivers license. He's agreed to take me to work every day while he and his girlfriend teach me how to drive. They've both taught other people who have become good drivers, so I don't see too much of an issue out of that.

Well...I sent in my resume and I was contacted within 4 hours. They seem interested since I have a bit of sales experience and office experience, but due to the holidays, I won't be able to come in for an interview until the middle of January. If I am able to get the position, I'll be heading out in February.

I most likely won't have internet access for about a month or so (or until I get my own place) and I've already discussed things with the mods. Things should not change around here.

Once again, this isn't a 100% definite because there is still a good chance that I may not get the job.

I've already received my family's blessing for the move as well as from my friends with one exception. I'm pretty excited about this, since it means starting over from scratch and building a new life over there. A chance for a steady job (after 6 weeks of training, I'd be certified in 31 states), a car, an apartment and being independant. AND I actually know a ton of people over there, since I visit a couple of times a year...so it's all good for me.

Dames

Guest stardust

I told you you would pass the phone interview. :D Good luck with the second interview, though, and with the move and everything.

It all sounds good Dames. Just remember, stabbing people isn't socially acceptable in Conneticut.

Ah, I see it's common board knowledge now. BUT I KNEW IT ALL ALONG~!

Seriously though, this sounds like a good step for you to take, Dames. Plus, you get to hang with the Zack Attack, and that would make it all worthwhile anyhow.

A huge opportunity, and one that's most certainly worth the risk. Good luck Dames.

Now if only my friends from out of state (preferably out west) knew of a great job opportunity for me...

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Good luck Dames. As someone who just recently finished moving to a new city himself I have the following advice.

Make sure that the moving company you hire is well known otherwise they might make off withhalfofyourgnomecollectionthosegoddamnmotherfuckermovers.

*ahem*

Guest Ray

Not to be rude but I laughed at the "his girlfriend will teach me how to drive" part. Don't know why.

Sorry. :unsure:

Guest Choken One
I've already received my family's blessing for the move as well as from my friends with one exception. I'm pretty excited about this.

Well...I just gotta know why this one friend of yours is against the idea...

And The Danes moves closer to my stomping grounds...TOO close...

Careful, Danes. I got peeps that sell insurance...well, "protection" anyways...bwahahahahahahaha...MOO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...HELLO? HELLO? HAHAHAHAHAHA *HONK*!

...the fuck am I on...

Nah, Danes, good news. Hope all goes well, and then you live the sweet life and become a Connecticunt. Still isn't as sweet as being a Masshole, but hey, not much is.

Plus...TNA DIATRIBES IN A MONTH OR TWO~! W00T W00T~!

Not to be rude but I laughed at the "his girlfriend will teach me how to drive" part. Don't know why.

Sorry. :unsure:

Actually, it won't be just her, it will be him too. Everyone up there knows how to drive.

Dames

My main advice is to make sure you have somewhat of a longterm plan when moving to a different city/state. My best friend just moved with his company HP. However he only really did it because(in his words), "if I don't go with HP, then I have to actually look for another job" Now he is stuck in fucking Houston, Texas where he had to sign a one year agreement to work there yet the company will only guarantee that one year, and if there is a massive layoff after a year, he is basically in the same situation he was here, except he is in a city where he doesn't know shit about shit.

Ask yourself, do you plan on setting roots in CT, or are you just going because of a job. Is this job a possible career, or is it "just a job" ?

I don't mean to sound like the asshole of the bunch, but it certainly is harder coming back then it is going, so just think it out well.

Good Luck Dames.