TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Official Ozzfest lineup announced......

Flaw is incredible live, and I love their music too...

Jason Jones is the new singer for DP, from 411:

Jones’ vocals at times have a hint of Williams to them, but also sound like a mix of John Bush (from Anthrax) and Max Cavelera (ex-Sepultura, Soulfly).

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Correction: He sounds like a guy trying to sound like John Bush and Max Cavalera..but ends up sounding like Dave Williams. The new single is as bad as their old shit.

Flaw is pretty easy to dislike, really, considering that every song on their debut sounds exactly the same except for the track where they try to ape Tool.

They should just throw all the second stage uN-metal bands into a lethal lottery, and have them go up there and play their normal setlist. I swear no one would notice.

All three of you haven't been paying attention to the news I assume.

I didn't know either. But that's because of my complete apathy towards them.

And I must go to this show. I enjoy most of the bands involved, and yes, even SJR. The only one I have no intention of checking out is Slipknot. Though part of my reasoning for going is that this is possibly Ozzy's last tour. As decrepit as he is now, I'd like to see him live once.

I get no love in these metal threads.

I've given you love before, unappreciative bastard

Agent's name is based off of a band, part of my name could be a band name (I could have a band called Corey, you never know), Nevermortal sounds like a band name

Ahem

As for the lineup itself, I hope this isn't a gag list... I'm thoroughly shocked at the choice of Century Media and Nuclear Blast bands. In the last five years, Ozzfest had turned into Shrimp Bizkit and Friends fest, and for them to do such an about face is surprising

Choken, ETID is very heavy and crazy

the cd "Hot Damn" is great

Agent's name is based off of a band, part of my name could be a band name (I could have a band called Corey, you never know), Nevermortal sounds like a band name

as well as mine :)

Guest Choken One
You know their lead singer is dead, right?.....

All three of you haven't been paying attention to the news I assume. DP has a new lead singer, and have an album coming out late April/May. They're now (well, in a few weeks) on the Headbanger's Ball tour with Damageplan.

Their new stuff is apparently a lot harder than the first album, but that seems to be how a lot of the nu-metal bands are going.

Good to hear that about Flaw.

Why would they continue the DP name? The band was identifiable by Dave Williams and the name will always be linked to his death…Staying together is one thing, they should have at least changed the band name.

All three of you haven't been paying attention to the news I assume. DP has a new lead singer, and have an album coming out late April/May. They're now (well, in a few weeks) on the Headbanger's Ball tour with Damageplan.

Their new stuff is apparently a lot harder than the first album, but that seems to be how a lot of the nu-metal bands are going.

Why would they continue the DP name? The band was identifiable by Dave Williams and the name will always be linked to his death…Staying together is one thing, they should have at least changed the band name.

I'm sure I read, when Dave Williams died, that they were going to release their final DVD in Dave's honour, then find a new singer and rename the band. It feels wrong to continue under the same name.

I'm sure this is all Wind-Up. It look a lot of money and luck on Wind-Up's side to get that band known, and when they were at their peak, anyone who knew the least about current music at least knew who they were. That's something that very few bands on Wind-Up have, and the last thing that they'd want to do is lose potential profit.

But then again, it may have been on the band members' part. Think about it. How long after Dave died did the world forget about Drowning Pool? Plus, with so many bands getting signed, and promptly dropped after an album and one or two supporting tours, there's a great chance they may have just realized that maximum profit would come with the DP name.

Sixty trucks and buses carrying 525 crewmembers and as many as 20 bands rolling into town to present more than 13 hours of music on two stages can only mean one thing: Ozzfest is back.

The metal festival's ninth incarnation will find headliner and namesake Ozzy Osbourne sharing the main stage with Judas Priest, reunited with longtime singer Rob Halford; Slayer; Norwegian black metal sextet Dimmu Borgir; Black Label Society; and Superjoint Ritual, fronted by Pantera's Phil Anselmo. The trek kicks off July 10 in Hartford, Connecticut.

Ozzy's participation in the two-month tour is surprising. He sustained severe injuries, including fractured ribs and a broken collarbone that required emergency surgery, in December (see "Ozzy Seriously Injured After Crashing All-Terrain Vehicle"). Shortly after his release from the hospital, doctors estimated it would take Osbourne six months to recover.

Slipknot, two-time Ozzfest veterans, will headline the second stage, where (unlike the main stage) fans can mix it up in the pit (see "Slipknot Headlining Ozzfest's Second Stage"). Fans voting on www.ozzfest.com helped choose the second-stage bands, which include Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Atreyu, Bleeding Through, Lacuna Coil, Every Time I Die and Unearth. Additional artists are expected to be announced later.

Ozzfest 2004 will be the first time Judas Priest tours the U.S. with Halford since he left the band in 1992. The band will begin a brief European trek June 5 in Bologna, Italy.

Tim "Ripper" Owens, the singer in a Priest cover band, filled the frontman slot from 1996 until last year, but Halford reunited with original members Ian Hill (bass), K.K. Downing (guitar), Glenn Tipton (guitar) and drummer Scott Travis, who joined the band for 1990's Painkiller (see "Judas Priest Discuss Emotional Reunion, Leaving Ripper Owens Behind").

A new studio album is also expected later this year from the band, which incidentally hail from Osbourne's hometown of Birmingham, England. It would mark the 30th anniversary of their debut, Rocka Rolla.

Twenty-six cities are scheduled for the trek, which starts on the East Coast, heads west to California, then takes the southern route back to wrap up in West Palm Beach, Florida, on September 4. Tickets go on sale February 28.

Prior to Ozzfest, Slipknot will headline the Jägermeister Music Tour, which kicks off March 30 (see "Slipknot, Chimaira, Fear Factory Set For Jägermeister Music Tour"). The band is scheduled to drop its new, still-untitled album five days earlier.

Ozzfest is one of the summer concert season's most successful outings. The 9-year-old festival has grossed more than $146.5 million and has staged 236 shows for 3.8 million fans. Last year's tour featured Osbourne alongside Korn, Marilyn Manson and Disturbed.

Ozzfest tour dates, according to its publicists:

7/10 - Hartford, CT @ ctnow.com Meadows Music

7/12 - Mansfield, MA @ Tweeter Center

7/14 - Wantagh, NY @ Tommy Hilfiger at Jones Beach Th.

7/16 - Holmdel, NJ @ PNC Bank Arts Center

7/18 - Bristow, VA @ Nissan Pavilion

7/20 - Columbus, OH @ Germain Amphitheatre

7/22 - Nashville, TN @ Starwood Amphitheatre

7/24 - Englewood, CO @ Fiddler's Green Amphitheatre

7/27 - Auburn, WA @ White River Amphitheatre

7/29 - Mountain View, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre

7/31 - Devore, CA @ Hyundai Pavilion of Glen Helen

8/3 - Albuquerque, NM @ Journal Pavilion

8/5 - Dallas, TX @ Smirnoff Music Center

8/7 - San Antonio, TX @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

8/10 - Kansas City, KS @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre

8/12 - Maryland Heights, MO @ UMB Pavilion

8/14 - East Troy, WI @ Alpine Valley Music Theatre

8/17 - Detroit, MI @ DTE Energy Center

8/19 - Cleveland, OH @ Blossom Music Center

8/21 - Tinley Park, IL @ Tweeter Center

8/24 - Indianapolis, IN @ Verizon Wireless Music Center

8/26 - Camden, NJ @ Tweeter Center at the Waterfront

8/28 - Burgettstown, PA @ Post-Gazette Pavilion @ Star Lake

8/31 - Raleigh, NC @ Alltel Pavilion @ Walnut Creek

9/2 - Tampa, FL @ Tampa Bay Amphitheatre

9/4 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Sound Advice Amphitheatre

From MTV.com.

Ugh. Last year they announced EVERY band on the tour, and from what I remember, only Revolution Smile (who dropped off to do an Ill Nino tour, and them being assholes) and Finger Eleven not showing up.

Fuck me, I'll say it. I want a couple nu-metal bands on the tour. I'm really unable to enjoy scream metal. I can see why others do, but to me, it's shit. I have no desire to see a ten minute set by Hatebreed or SJR, let alone fifty.

Well, at the very least, I guess this means that the majority of the groups I had in mind will end up coming to Philly and doing a forty-five minute-hour long set before or during the summer.

Fuck me,

No.

I'll say it.  I want a couple nu-metal bands on the tour.

Glad you said it. Now ChokenOne doesn't really have much use for this thread :D

I'm really unable to enjoy scream metal.  I can see why others do, but to me, it's shit.

Then I guess you'll be pleased to know that following bands on the OzzFest 2004 lineup aren't "scream metal":

Ozzy Osbourne

Judas Priest

Dimmu Borgir

Black Label Society

Lamb Of God

Lacuna Coil

Unearth

I have no desire to see a ten minute set by Hatebreed or SJR, let alone fifty. 

That's okay, neither does anybody else here.

Hmmm...

7/12 - Mansfield, MA @ Tweeter Center

One day after me and my girlfriend's one-year (assuming we last that long)...great anniversary present, eh?

Guest Choken One
Fuck me,

No.

I'll say it.  I want a couple nu-metal bands on the tour.

Glad you said it. Now ChokenOne doesn't really have much use for this thread :D

What the hell does that Mean?

I get no love in these metal threads.

I've given you love before, unappreciative bastard.

I know, I forget. I was having an It's a Wonderful Life moment. Sorry I wussed out.

As for the lineup itself, I hope this isn't a gag list... I'm thoroughly shocked at the choice of Century Media and Nuclear Blast bands.  In the last five years, Ozzfest had turned into Shrimp Bizkit and Friends fest, and for them to do such an about face is surprising

It's official...Lacuna Coil, God Forbid, and Dimmu area all Ozzfesting. I'm very glad for God Forbid...they're great live and from when I've spoken with them, they are very deserving of success. And Lacuna Coil, too. I got in a car accident and my friend went to an in store appearance for them and got them to sign a get well card. I love Christina Scabbia :wub:

Just out of interest Choken, how do you feel about the following words...Whitfield Crane?

Then I guess you'll be pleased to know that following bands on the OzzFest 2004 lineup aren't "scream metal":

Ozzy Osbourne

Judas Priest

Dimmu Borgir

Black Label Society

Lamb Of God

Lacuna Coil

Unearth

Personally, I consider thrash and scream one and the same in my head. That's very stupid on my part, but I've tried many times to get into the music and have yet to be able to. Cross off Unearth and LOG as a result.

I recently started to listen to Dimmu, and am starting to get into it a bit. Lacuna Coil is great, and I hope they wind up doing the last half of the tour, as I missed them twice when they've come to Philly.

And yeah, Ozzy, BLS, and JP should be great, but for me, this is going to be a very weak show. Especially if Lacuna goes out for the first half of the tour.

To each his own, though. If you like the line-up, have a great fucking time.

Guest Choken One

Just out of interest Choken, how do you feel about the following words...Whitfield Crane?

AH!!!!

STOP THE MADNESS!

YOU VILE BASTARD!

AH!!!!

STOP THE MADNESS!

YOU VILE BASTARD!

Hmmm, thought that would be your response

Guest Choken One

AH!!!!

STOP THE MADNESS!

YOU VILE BASTARD!

just out of sick curiosity...What has death been up to since he poisoned LOA?

I've never gone to Ozzfest before. Reunited Priest. Slayer. BLS. Possibly last chance to ever see Ozzy. I need to go...here's the fun part...how much you think tickets will be? I've heard Ozzfest isn't cheap.

I have been unable to attend any Ozzfests coming through the area since the Sabbath one, but I didn't feel like going back really. It was fun, but vomiting twice during Sabbath's set and sleeping the whole way home trying not to lose it anymore wasn't exactly the best way to end a good solid day of kick ass music.

I am in the minority that doesn't enjoy BLS. I don't know WHY, but I can't get into it. I mean, The Fest was really awesome, and I enjoyed everything up until the vomit started. Slipknot started a huge fucking dirt/grass tossing contest up in the lawn, where everyone was just flinging dirt toward the people in the seating area just below it. The seat guys were catching them and tossing them back, and then the lawn fires started.

Then Marilyn Manson came on and NOBODY EVEN PAID ATTENTION. He played for 15 minutes before everyone calmed down, and then everybody was just pissed because security got all panty-twisted. The best news to come of this was that these two FINE ASS ladies about two rows in front of me had their t-shirts torn off and tossed down into the lower sections, never to be seen again, presumably.

Minus the vomiting, a good **** day of music (and I arrived in the middle of the second stage acts...due to a flat tire and other assorted problems)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't really like BLS that much either. Zack can't sing.

Placebo, you're really barking up the wrong tree with this Thrash/Scream business (unearth is a thrash band? news to me.) Anyway, not like I'm expecting you to memorize some kind of heavy metal lexicon, but at least have the common decency to know what it is exactly that you don't like. I suspect you're a poor soul whose only forays into anything beyond the pale has been some Six Feet Under..if you don't mind me being a dick, what are some of these scream metal bands which you don't like?

AH!!!!

STOP THE MADNESS!

YOU VILE BASTARD!

He formed a band called Medication with Logan Mader of Machine Head fame and some other people famous for being in other bands. They released one album, then it all went quiet...

Guest Choken One

AH!!!!

STOP THE MADNESS!

YOU VILE BASTARD!

He formed a band called Medication with Logan Mader of Machine Head fame and some other people famous for being in other bands. They released one album, then it all went quiet...

Which that asshole SHOULD be. QUIET.

Placebo, you're really barking up the wrong tree with this Thrash/Scream business (unearth is a thrash band? news to me.) Anyway, not like I'm expecting you to memorize some kind of heavy metal lexicon, but at least have the common decency to know what it is exactly that you don't like. I suspect you're a poor soul whose only forays into anything beyond the pale has been some Six Feet Under..if you don't mind me being a dick, what are some of these scream metal bands which you don't like?

While I wouldn't say Unearth is full blown thrash, they do a lot of the same screaming/roaring bullshit that makes me hate the genre. They were also on the White Trash Thrash Metal (or something to that extent) tour, so my mind puts them in that category from that as well.

In the past, I've found Opeth, Walls of Jericho, In Flames, and Nevermore tolerable. And even then, a lot of them incorporate normal singing into their sounds, which is likely what attracted me to keep listening in the first place.

My big thing is that I'm a lyrics guy. When people say that certain nu-metal bands that bandmates that use repetitive cords, bland bass work, etc., I just don't see it. With any kind hard metal, I can not get into the music (ESPECIALLY live) when there's no fucking chance of understanding the lyrics unless I either look them up or spend an hour breaking it down.

I'm no aficionado, but I've listened to enough by now to realize that it's not for me.