TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheDevilAndGodAreRagingInsideMe

Why ESPN sucks

Guest Salacious Crumb

ATH and PTI are really starting to piss me off. Do they really need 3-4 segments on the Lakers every day? Does ATH really needs to start every show off with Shaq talk and then Kobe talk?

Guest Dumb Fuck
18:00 hours and counting until new episode of POKER. Is there really a need for the countdown clock?

It's the only thing people bother to watch on ESPN during July, the deadest sports month of the year.

ATH and PTI are really starting to piss me off. Do they really need 3-4 segments on the Lakers every day? Does ATH really needs to start every show off with Shaq talk and then Kobe talk?

Don't worry -- they'll stop talking about them in a little while and go on to the non-stop Yankee/Red Sox debate...

Guest Salacious Crumb

And also, do they really need to play the Cubs/Cards every single fucking time they play each other. The Cubs have been on way too much considering a lot of markets get WGN.

Guest Anglesault
And also, do they really need to play the Cubs/Cards every single fucking time they play each other. The Cubs have been on way too much considering a lot of markets get WGN.

Well, it is the super intense rivalry between the two teams that never seem to be good at the same time.

Guest Ghetto Bird

I think that ESPN sucks just based on last night's Sportscenter. Now, I understand that ESPN's demographic is decidedly anti-WNBA. Which is fine. But, on a night when the WNBA was the only North American professional sports league in action, I don't think that a 30-second highlight package would have been unreasonable. For a network that purports itself to be a sports news network, it just seems a little irresponsible to me.

Sonuvabitch, they don't even do highlights of WNBA games on nights when they broadcast WNBA games on the network; it's like they're trying to sabotage their own efforts.

I'm a big fan of the Poker shows but this year I am disappointed in how they formated this years World Series. Last year it was a week long build up to the final table with the focus on the early rounds and the "dead money" players who never had a chance but still advanced. There were several new people and personalities other than the usual bunch of the Phils or Asian players that became subplots in the series. But this year it was just a 30 minute show with no build up other than Men the Master vs the hollywood actor. The match up was ok but not as good as the Sam Faria vs Moneymaker of last year.

The only thing good they did with Poker this year was that they introduced new games other than No Hold Em. 7 Card Stud looked like a good game but one 30 minute show is not going to build up any interest for people who are new to the game.

Guest Anglesault
I think that ESPN sucks just based on last night's Sportscenter. Now, I understand that ESPN's demographic is decidedly anti-WNBA. Which is fine. But, on a night when the WNBA was the only North American professional sports league in action, I don't think that a 30-second highlight package would have been unreasonable. For a network that purports itself to be a sports news network, it just seems a little irresponsible to me.

Sonuvabitch, they don't even do highlights of WNBA games on nights when they broadcast WNBA games on the network; it's like they're trying to sabotage their own efforts.

Reall, why should they waste their time for the 12 people on earth that actually follow the damn thing?

Most of you know that I don't like basketball.

Still, I watch enough to be able to say that as much as I don't like the NBA, it's still for the most part what I would call good basketball that I can understand why people like it, even if I don't.

WNBA isn't even good basketball.

Guest Nelly's Bandaid

I wouldn't be suprised if someone went over this already but....

I DONT GIVE A SHIT WHAT RACECAR SPELLED BACKWARDS IS!!!!!!

And before I got into the NL at all I thought the Cubs and Cardinals played at least 50 times a season, just because 95% of the time a game was on ESPN, that was it.

Guest Ghetto Bird
Reall, why should they waste their time for the 12 people on earth that actually follow the damn thing?

Uhm, because they represent themselves to be a sports news network? And the WNBA is an actual professional sport? :rolleyes:

If they can cover poker and spelling bees, I should think that they can take thirty seconds out of their "busy" (yeah, right) schedule to talk about the WNBA, especially on a night where there were no other sports in activity.

If ESPN covered WNBA then they might as well cover Soccer, Track & Field, Lacrosse, Softball, Swimming, Diving, Dodgeball on the OCHO.

If they can cover poker and spelling bees, I should think that they can take thirty seconds out of their "busy" (yeah, right) schedule to talk about the WNBA, especially on a night where there were no other sports in activity.

Don't forget the hot-dog eating contests.

Because the verdict is in and NOBODY likes the WNBA.

The only thing good they did with Poker this year was that they introduced new games other than No Hold Em. 7 Card Stud looked like a good game but one 30 minute show is not going to build up any interest for people who are new to the game.

I like what they've done so far, actually. The shows are still an hour, BTW, at least when they originally air. It's good to see games other than No Limit Hold'Em get some love. I've heard that the final table of every World Series event will be covered by ESPN this year, with the rest of the coverage going to the main event itself. I guess this means we'll see Limit, more 7-stud, Razz, 5-card Draw, Omaha, etc. Personally, I hate Razz, but it might make for OK TV.

If ESPN covered WNBA then they might as well cover Soccer, Track & Field, Lacrosse, Softball, Swimming, Diving, Dodgeball on the OCHO.

I have seen more coverage of Soccer, Track & Field, Lacrosse and Swimming on ESPN in the last twelve months than the WNBA, and that includes the last WNBA Finals.

WNBA is only around so that former players like Michael Cooper and Bill Lambeer can learn how to be coaches.

So what was happening for the six years before Laimbeer became a head coach in the league, or the four years before Cooper became a head coach?

There is now a countdown at the bottom of the screen for new episodes of WOP. Only 2 hours and 47 minutes to go!!!

Also, the first 10 minutes of SC was about the Lakers and Barry Bonds.

And JA Adande won around the Horn.

Guest Anglesault

Last night was a big night for baseball and there is still a lot of Laker news (that interests me, so it must be somewhat interesting) to cover.

WNBA is probably the least watched sport league in America today, and if they can talk about baseball or football or (NBA) basketball over WNBA, it only makes sense for them to do so.

Don't forget the hot-dog eating contests.

Or putt-putt...

Guest Redhawk
WNBA is probably the least watched sport league in America today, and if they can talk about baseball or football or (NBA) basketball over WNBA, it only makes sense for them to do so.

Be realistic; it's not like NO ONE watches the WNBA. I've been to one game before here in Seattle, and there was a pretty nice-sized crowd. Whenever I do see highlights on ESPN (which is rare), there are quite a few people in the stands. ESPN has no reason making up pointless segments during Sportscenter when they could easily show a few WNBA highlights. Do we need to see Kenny Mayne trying to watch 4 games in one day? Do we need another Budweiser Hot Seat? Do we need another ESPN Short? I'm not saying they should highlight WNBA over significant NFL news or NBA free agent stuff, but when there's nothing else going on that day, why not show the WNBA? For me, at least, I'd rather watch any form of basketball than MLB spring training highlights, which ESPN always shows.

Guest Anglesault

Be realistic; it's not like NO ONE watches the WNBA.

Pretty damn close.

Guest MikeSC

The TV audience, though --- which is ESPN's concern --- has shown an apathy for the WNBA that is downright mind-boggling. MLL and the AFL deserve coverage more than the WNBA.

-=Mike

Guest Smues

ESPN is driving me crazy. They spend segment after segment talking about how over hyped the Clemens vs Pizza fight is, and then after talking about how sick of it everyone is, they preceed to ask Clemens about it, and then talk about it some more. ARGGHHHH

To tell you the truth I have seen more Women's Fast Pitch Softball on ESPN2 than any other women's sport on tv. I have not seen much coverage of soccer other than the Beckham cheated on the Spice Girl from the debate programs.

Did'nt the WNBA try to promote the league as the lesbian friendly league trying to get those Xena Warrior Princess fans to go to games?

I am interested in watching Omaha Poker.

The TV audience, though --- which is ESPN's concern --- has shown an apathy for the WNBA that is downright mind-boggling. MLL and the AFL deserve coverage more than the WNBA.

-=Mike

Based on that argument, they shouldn't cover the NHL, either.