TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
B. Brian Brunzell

The Perfect Pop Song

For years, I was under the impression that either "Come On Eileen" o "Purple Rain" was the greatest pop song of all-time, and the perfect pop song.

To have a great pop song, you need several things: a catchy hook, a catchy verse, and just the right amount of cheese in the music to get the kids going. Now, that being said, I have come to a new conclusion:

"Just Like Heaven" is the perfect pop song. The hook is wonderful, as are the verses, and there is just a slight amount of cheesiness in that song that puts it over-the-top. Of course, Smith's lyrics are FAR superior to those of your typical pop star, but then again, Robert Smith writes better lyrics than most songwriters period.

So anyway, what are your opinions on the subject?

--Brunzell

Guest Flyboy
Erm... how is "Purple Rain" a 'pop' song?

Anything with the verse-chorus-verse structure can be classified as a pop song

Blasphemy.

It is not blasphemy. People are under the impression that pop music means only stuff like Brittney Spears, N'Sync, Madonna, etc., but Inc's definition is exactly right.

"You're In A Bad Way" by St Etienne is a near-perfect pop song, as is "Something For The Weekend" by the Super Furry Animals.

Hell, now I think about it, so is "Something For The Weekend" by the Divine Comedy.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Pop Music should be popular, doesn't that eliminate Husker Du?

Oh and I say it's "Maybe I'm Amazed" or "Hey Jude" great songs with lots of mass appeal.

Are you this retarded in the wrestling folders, too?

Not anymore, haha.

On topic: Just about anything from Asia's first two albums.

What a hard topic. And a good way to start - "Just Like Heaven" is a fine choice. The Cure are fine for angst, but their poppiest stuff is really outstanding.

Sticking to the zippier side of things, my personal choice: New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle."

Guest PlatinumBoy

For me the perfect pop song would be any of Neil Diamond's classics. Thank the Lord for the Nighttime is one I'm currently quite taken with.

SCATMAAAAAAAAN!!!!!

Also, I'd challenge Inc's definition of pop music. In my opinion, pop music has changed from music that was popular to music that has been designed to be as popular as possible. With the inventions of rock n' roll and rap music, I feel that definition (music designed to popular) works best.

It still encompasses many of the same songs you were thinking of, Inc, but does take out "artsy" music and music done by artists who just want to write the song.

The Misfits' "Saturday Night" would have been classic pop in the 50s.

I'd go with the Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated". Simple and catchy musically, easy chorus, and not too long.

"Kiss" is really a better example of a great poppy Prince song than "Purple Rain." This is the sort of topic on which I'll change my mind over and over again, but I'll go ahead and say The Smiths' "This Charming Man" or the Kinks' "Victoria."

I'll go ahead and say The Smiths' "This Charming Man"

A song about a gay sex with an older man isn't strictly pop, is it?

I'll go ahead and say The Smiths' "This Charming Man"

A song about a gay sex with an older man isn't strictly pop, is it?

It's catchy as fuck. What it's about is immaterial, as far as the pop argument is concerned. That it's about gay sex with an older man makes it all the more likable.

Surely in pop, the lyrical content is as important as the tune. Sure, it's catchy as fuck, but a song so blatantly about buggery can't be populist.

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.

Its a great song to sing too, catchy hooks, a head bangin guitar solo, its got everything a song should have.