TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dazed

The OAO SummerSlam 2004 Thread

Toronto doesn't like charity cases (see Eugene) and doesn't like Taker. So there ya go.

What the fuck are you talking about?

When I went to Wrestlemania X8, Undertaker had the biggest pop of the night besides the Hogan/Rock match.

You forgot. They're cool now. They boo because they can.

Me and Rudo might do a review of the show (MUGASlam is a working title) but here's some quick thoughts, DEAN-style........

WHAT WORKED

- London was on fire tonight. His leap/stomp over D'Von was choice as was his sommersault plancha. It really sucked that the Dudleyz went over because the crowd was getting hot just as the match was cut.

- Matt's tornado ddt on Kane was just dirty.

- "Lita is a Dumas"

- Matt dying on the top rope chokeslam.

- Edge getting booed was fun. Not enough DAVE for my liking. Jericho took that spear like a man.

- Angle/Eddy was swank, Angle looked boss in the match and the matwork and eventual ankle build were very well done.

- Toronto hates Eugene because we like good wrestling. Sue us.

- MUGATaker. My other reasons for the match already posted.

- Somebody needs to tell Benoit that the human neck isn't like the kidneys. If you lose one you can't run on another. Good match, seemed kinda short but still hella solid. Ortons gutwrench neckbreaker was ace.

WHAT DIDNT

- I cannot care about Spike Dudley. Cannot. Minimal heat and a weak offense do not a credible heel make. When Billy Kidman is showing more charisma then you, there is problems.

- Man........Cena and Booker better hope that the next 4 crowd are forgiving because that match was ass.

- So Dodgeball was punishment for us cheering Hogan, right? (Sidenote: Joy has a BOOT).

- Pretty much all of HHH/Eugene.

MY funny moments of the night: (A little lightheartedness)

1) Gail Kim jumping right at the ball that was intended for her, and then WWE showing us a slo mo replay of it.....smart

2) JBL having no clue what to do with Taker's leg when he had it in the middle of the ring. Starts to go for a figure 4, changes his mind, and does a spinning toe hold, changes his mind and goes for a modified indian death lock, loses the grip on the leg, and goes back to spinning toe hold.

3) Taker chokeslams right through the unforgiving foam disguised as a limo moon roof. Complete with no sound whatsoever when JBL went crashing through.

4) Taker's punch missing JBL by about 12 feet.

5) Tazz continuously calling out Michael Cole whenever he said something stupid or made a mistake.

To those of you who are saying "Fuck WWE and Fuck Randy Orton" because he's the new champ, you need to grow the hell up.

You CAN use names, like me for instance. Orton is NOT READY for a World Title run, and the booking was a mess. 4 Main Events, and 4-0 the heels go.

So when is he ready? I just don't understand that argument. He wrestled a damned good match, he's good on the mic, he's been really hot recently, and he ellicits a good crowd reaction. I don't see anything wrong with giving him the ball for a little while and letting him run with it. You might be surprised what it'll turn into. Lesnar damned sure wasn't ready for his title run, but he became a damned entertaining champ not too long after giving him the title.

See, this is why Summerslam should have been in Philly!

...yes, I'm greedy!  So what?

No! Keep it in Canada! In Vancouver to be more specific....

Was Toronto this bad for WM 18, with the exception of the Hogan/Rock match?

Toronto is the city that completely killed the HHH/Jericho Main Event.

With the exception of crowd reaction for Hogan/Rock at WrestleMania X8 and Hogan/Warrior at WrestleMania VI, Toronto has ALWAYS been a shit crowd.

Hopefully, Vince has seen a better look at this tonight.

Wrong.

I went to a RAW show in Toronto and the crowd was HOT for the entire show.

Toronto doesn't like charity cases (see Eugene) and doesn't like Taker. So there ya go.

Wrong.

Toronto doesn't like Edge.

Toronto doesn't like Matt Hardy.

Toronto doesn't like Eddie Guerrero.

Toronto didn't seem to like Chris Benoit too much tonight,

Toronto doesn't like many of the faces that WWE fans all over the world have cheered for. Including, of course, Eugene and The Undertaker.

Toronto also doesn't like to get involved in wrestling matches. GOOD wrestling matches, as a matter of fact.

Toronto proved themselves to be a shitty crowd tonight. But then again, it isn't just an isolated incident, despite what an episode of Raw may have shown (By the way, clue me in on what Raw this was. I'm interested)

Orton won clean? Shit.

I guess they really didn't want Brock to have the "youngest champion" title, huh?

Brock is still the youngest WWE Champion.

Orton is just the youngest World Heavyweight Champion.

That is, until Shane and Marissa's baby defeats JBL.

Randy Orton is the youngest World Champ from either brand now. Brock was 25, well according to the WWE Summerslam website.

So how about that Diva Dodgeball? I thought it was great.

I thought I heard the crowd cheering for the Benoit/Orton handshake btw, but maybe I was half asleep as this show was a cure for insomnia.

What I thought:

Heat:

RVD Vs. Dupree: **

This was a good little match that should have been on first on the PPV, not on heat.

SS:

Six-Man Tag: ** 1/2

Pretty good match and I'm glad to see London on WWE PPV.

Matt/Kane: **1/4

Not all that great but Matt really tried here. I wish he would have won though.

I-C Three-Way: **3/4

A lot of people were shitting on this, and I don't see why, I mean it was short-ish but still really good IMO.

Cena/Booker: **

Nothing really special, but nothing really bad.

Eddie/Angle: *** 1/2

Crazy to see so many big moves done so early on, but really a super hot match, with Angle taking it easy, but still delievering.

HHH/Eugene: ** 1/2

I wish this was better, but it was still good, despite HHH no selling almost every finisher.

Taker/JBL: **3/4

A really good, intense brawl. The limo thing was cheesy but still cool.

Benoit/Orton: *** 3/4

A good match, a great match, I would have rated this one higher if Beniot kicked out of the first RKO and it went a little longer. I think Beniot should have kept the title a little longer though, but at least Randy won clean and Beniot put him over. I see Randy becoming a face soon.

Overall this show was good, the RVD match should have been on the card as well, as it was decent. The crowd really ruined this show for me. Nothing against Toronto, but fuck Toronto. This show was good, but nothing really that good. Thumbs in the middle, leaning up. It would have been Thumbs up if the crowd was into it. WWE is going to have a field day editing the chants on this one.

Guest CronoT
Regarding the wave during Taker v. Bradshaw-

Toronto has never cared for the Undertaker and Bradshaw's shtick wasn't going to appeal to Canadians anyway so they had no reason to shit on him.

So of course they're not going to care about the match. No one really wanted a JBL v. Taker main event and they were being vocal about it and letting Vince know.

Maybe Bradshaw should have done something to offend the crowd as bad as he did with that incident in Germany? I don't know, maybe call them a bunch of "Frenchie, wine sniffing BUTT pirates." :phaser: :bonk: :boxing:

Guest Bitterness the Star

Bradshaw's the WWE Champion.

Randy Orton's the World Heavyweight Champion.

Hmm.

I don't remember Taker getting a big pop at X-8 but whatever. At the Smackdown! I went to in TO he didn't get anything when he came out.

I've been to three Toronto shows.

One was a RAW in February 2003 where they were really hot for most of the night.

A RAW house show where the crowd was off and on but the show was not very good. Shane v. Kane in the confines of a steel cage was the main event.

A SD! where the crowd was pretty hot and was really into Los Guerreros v. Angle/Benoit.

Toronto doesn't like Edge.

Yea that was really weird. Considering he usually is very over. Edge has been booked very heelish recently though.

Toronto doesn't like Matt Hardy.

Why would anyone cheer for a loser like Matt Hardy?

Toronto doesn't like Eddie Guerrero.

Because they love Kurt Angle.

Toronto didn't seem to like Chris Benoit too much tonight,

Can't explain that one- I'd probably be a bit deflated myself if I witnessed three heels going over, a bullshit DQ finish and Regal and Eugene looking like idiots.

Toronto doesn't like many of the faces that WWE fans all over the world have cheered for. Including, of course, Eugene and The Undertaker.

They don't like charity cases- they also shat all over Gowan.

Undertaker sucks- I always boo him when I go to shows. How does a city not acting like puppets make them a bad crowd?

Toronto also doesn't like to get involved in wrestling matches. GOOD wrestling matches, as a matter of fact.

So they were dead tonight for a couple of matches. It happens.

Toronto proved themselves to be a shitty crowd tonight. But then again, it isn't just an isolated incident, despite what an episode of Raw may have shown (By the way, clue me in on what Raw this was. I'm interested)

So what? They weren't given much to cheer for and responded accordingly. I admit they kind of ruined Eugene v. HHH but other then that- everyone here seems to complain non-stop about the WWE's booking.

Toronto did that as well. Just on the 3rd biggest show of the year

So when is he ready? I just don't understand that argument. He wrestled a damned good match, he's good on the mic, he's been really hot recently, and he ellicits a good crowd reaction. I don't see anything wrong with giving him the ball for a little while and letting him run with it. You might be surprised what it'll turn into. Lesnar damned sure wasn't ready for his title run, but he became a damned entertaining champ not too long after giving him the title.

That's the problem with pushing these new guys so early though. They'll get burnt out sooner.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Regarding the wave during Taker v. Bradshaw-

Toronto has never cared for the Undertaker and Bradshaw's shtick wasn't going to appeal to Canadians anyway so they had no reason to shit on him.

So of course they're not going to care about the match. No one really wanted a JBL v. Taker main event and they were being vocal about it and letting Vince know.

How come Taker gets a monster pop at WM X-8? Big motorcycle fans?

Cause Taker was awesome during his heel run at first in 2002. One of the few times I actually tolerated him.

But the last two times I've seen him in Toronto- doesn't seem like they care about the Deadman does it?

I don't remember Taker getting a big pop at X-8 but whatever. At the Smackdown! I went to in TO he didn't get anything when he came out.

Then you didn't watch the show.

I attended live, and ask anyone else who attended live.

They would tell you Undertaker got the biggest reaction of the night, aside from Hogan/Rock.

He was even cheered over Ric Flair, who was the face.

Guest CronoT

Hmm.

Yes, I know. I can already hear the smarks tuning up their bitch wagons.

As far as JBL goes, I watch Smackdown! about as often as a blue moon occurs. When I was an admin of a smaller off-shoot board that came about from PWS haters, I would actually force myself to watch Smackdown!. I'm glad I don't have to any more.

Now, as for Randy Orton: He hasn't been as god awful as he used to be, so I'll take a wait and see attitude with this one.

Hmm.

Replace "hmm" with "blah".

Yeah, but it's more amusement thinking of someone hearing that even five months ago when Benoit & Guerrero were champions, even if the product wasn't hot as hell then.

I just can't believe WWE had the heels go 4 on 4 on one of their biggest shows of the year. Edge and Cena were the only faces who won and the crowd hated Edge anyway

I enjoyed the zombie Undertaker's SELLING OF THE LEG and Pride FC tactics tonight. His wrestling style and gimmick go together so well it's un-fucking-believable. Vince is a genius.

Eugene is stale. Eddie is stale. Dudleys are stale. Cena can't wrestle.

I'm prepared for Eugene to turn heel with the "I'm not really a retard" gimmick. Then I'll enjoy seeing him on Heat in 3 months time wrestling Val Venis.

How I wished that dogeball had hit Gail Kim square in the face and knocked her out cold though. That would have been worth the 34.99 price tag for sure.

Guest Staravenger
I just can't believe WWE had the heels go 4 on 4 on one of their biggest shows of the year. Edge and Cena were the only faces who won and the crowd hated Edge anyway

This was my main problem with the show: The horrible booking job. Usually when almost none of the good guys go over, the good guy wins the main event.

Weird- I was at the Smackdown! before No Mercy and I don't remember him getting much.

I enjoyed the show. Nothing outright sucked and I started getting into Taker v. Bradshaw towards the end. Evolution going over in the big matches really left a bad taste in my mouth though

To me, all the hate for the crowd stems from the one thing that seems to not be touched on by people trying to DEFEND the crowd:

They did a fucking wave (a loud one at that) during the title match. They DID A WAVE! That's a shitty, shitty thing to do during a main event, world title match at the second biggest show of the year.

In regards to the show as a whole, yeah, worth my $21.99, but it could've been better, with some more time given to certain matches, more thought put into construction, etc.

And... oh yeah...

NOT PUTTING A FUCKING GAME OF DODGEBALL ON THE WRESTLING SHOW.