TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dazed

The OAO SummerSlam 2004 Thread

Jesus Christmas, people are taking the crowd tonight to the heart.

It is simple as this: they were bored. The PPV sucked, they entertained themselves.

Everyone sounds like a bunch of herbs.

Someone called MoleLohan just called me a herb.

This may be one of the most traumatic nights of my life.

Now, the point is - the card tonight was NOT bad at all. As if that had anything to do with the situation anyway. The crowd had already made up their minds of what they were going to ruin. They booed Eugene from the start of the match. Despite the fact that every other city has loved Eugene in the past month - giving him the kind of crowd support that a sympathetic face SHOULD be getting - Toronto still chose to boo him and completely ruin the storyline WWE had going for it.

Despite the fact that there was hard work going on in the Six-Man match, a deeply involved storyline going into the Kane/Matt match, and some pretty nice action in the Cena/Booker match, the crowd STILL chose to remain silent.

In the face of a WWE Championship match that, again, had some decent action....they did the Wave! They chanted "Spanish Table!" They booed, despite the fact that they had no idea what the hell they were booing. They cheered, despite the fact that they had no idea what the hell they were cheering. They were the drizzling shits.

I swear, I don't understand the point of going to a WWE PPV if you're going to be miserable and sit on your hands, or boo everything that typical WWE fans across the country have cheered.

Meltz was saying in his reports the show was a disappointment, and it seems like the crowd agrees.  Everyone and their mother has said JBL is one of the worst champs in WWE history, and then when the crowd turns on his match you guys get all up in arms.  Somewhere in there logic exists, I just cant seem to find it.  My bad, I guess.

The crowd was just full of assholes. The UT/Bradshaw match was fine.

It was more then fine, it was fucking great.

- Sweet punches

- Bradshaw kicking Taker right in the fucking head

- Taker throws a stiff-ass lariat. Bradshaw responds with an even stiffer one.

- Bradshaw kicking out of the Last Ride

- Taker's rolling leg lock

- Taker's pseudo-triangle choke (Rudo will correct me on this one)

- JBL's bumping

- Taker's head and arm downward spiral looks like it could bruck up a neck or two

- The double boot spot

Meltz was saying in his reports the show was a disappointment, and it seems like the crowd agrees.  Everyone and their mother has said JBL is one of the worst champs in WWE history, and then when the crowd turns on his match you guys get all up in arms.  Somewhere in there logic exists, I just cant seem to find it.  My bad, I guess.

- Sweet punches

- JBL's bumping

- Taker's head and arm downward spiral looks like it could bruck up a neck or two

- The double boot spot

Taker blew up at the end though. The phantom punch was awful.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

- Sweet punches

- JBL's bumping

- The double boot spot

Not to mention Taker LEGALLY MURDERING the WWE Champion afterwards.

Guest Bitterness the Star

'Taker/Bradshaw was a good brawl. If you expected a straight-up wrestling masterpiece, you're an idiot.

Who saw that punch that 'Taker threw on the outside that missed by almost a foot?

Guest Staravenger
Six-Man Tag:  ** 1/2

Matt/Kane:  **

I-C Three-Way:  ** 1/2

Cena/Booker:  *1/2

Eddie/Angle:  *** 1/2

HHH/Eugene:  **

Taker/JBL:  ** 3/4

Benoit/Orton:  *** 3/4

My ratings...like it matters.

You people who are crapping on the crowd are hilarious.  It sounds like you all work for the WWE.  I can hear the press release tomorrow: 

"We at WWE put on a classic PPV in terms of quality, but because the Toronto fans didn't get excited for three 6 minute matches, cheered for Jerihco instead of Edge, Angle instead of Eddie, HHH instead of Eugene and didn't take the championship match defended by BRADSHAW seriously, the show seemed average.  Obviously, this was purely the fault of the Toronto fans and had nothing to do with the quality of the booking or the work on the show.  We can only assume the sheep in future crowds will make our average PPV efforts seem spectacular"  -- WWE

I guess we should blame the Toronto fans for the crappy ratings this week as well.  Oh and terrorism, thats their fault as well.  Bastards!

Well, i guess if Meltz says its not that good, that's that, and we should all agree.

I'm watching the damn show and I say it's not that bad

I also say the crowd is sucking major horse cock tonight and ruined the whole show. Fuck them

I dont think his opinion is the word of God or anything, but he is the most respected journalist/reporter whatever you want to clal him in the business, so his opinion counts for something. I dont know you from a hole in the ground, so your opinion doesn't carry as much weight with me. I'm not saying I dont respect your opinion, rather I just dont know your history.

Anyway I just dont get your anger. This is what the crowd is guilty of:

#1. Ignoring matches that either weren't hyped very well (6 man), had dumb angles involved where the face is impossibel to cheer for (Hardy-Kane deal) and a match that is worthless (Match 1 of Cena-BT).

#2. Cheering one face over another, and not popping like little girls over hearing their hometown get called out by the ring announcer.

#3. Cheering for Kurt Angle, one of the greatest wrestlers of all time over another great performer. But I forgot, Eddie's the face.....bahhhh (sheep noise).

#4. Turning on a guy who has no business in the main event picutre (Eugene) over a guy who even though he's bad for the business has proved himself to the audience on many occasions.

#5. Making a joke of a championship match where the title that is being fought for is a joke. Thats downright evil to me! Damn you Toronto, JBL is a great champion, he was on MSNBC!!!!!!

#6. Chanting "You Screwed Bret" at Hebner when the WWE entices that stuff virtually every time they are in Canada and whenever Vince needs an easy screw the babyface angle.

I dont know, I think a lot of your hatred should be pointed at Vince and co. but I'm just an evil Torontonian, so I'm just trying to stir up s%$#.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and most of the stuff they did didn't bother me.

Its these things:

1) The wave during a WWE championship match, and not a bad one at that. Not to mention the "Spanish Table" chants. I dont know, strikes me a bit as disrespectful.

2) The "You screwed Bret" chants were bound to happen. It's been seven years though, and it would have been ok if it was 1 or maybe even 2. But, cmon 6 chants? That gets old really quick.

3) Almost no support whatsoever for Benoit, and then boing the handshake.

4) Finally, they sat on their hands whenever they weren't coming up with stupid chants or booing for no reason.

I have a feeling AngleSault hanged himself on his front lawn.

I know seriously, what the fuck?

The WWE has no idea what they're doing.

No one wants to fucking cheer Orton. Benoit was made to look like a loser tonight. Triple H, for all intents and purposes, should be the #1 contender. To face Orton? Yuck. Eugene is lame. Kane wins Lita. So?

Angle looked good, but relied WAY too much on ground submission wrestling. Guerrero now drops further down the ladder. JBL/Taker was shitty. Nice FOAM PADDED LIMO, assholes. Cena/Booker will take forever to finish.

Ugh. Groan, groan, groan.

Guest bigm350

I give Orton-Benoit ***. A good match but too short for my taste. And the chinlockery kind of killed the flow of the match. But Orton didn't do a bad job and Benoit was able to carry him. BTW, did Benoit legitimately hurt his neck? He looked like he was rubbing it after the match.

Guest DeathBecomesYou

One thing that gave me the shits during UT/JBL, was late in the match when Taker struggled to his feet as he couldn't put weight on his, all the while Tazz and Cole are saying something about Taker's leg being injured, then Taker just does a running clothesline into the corner as if nothing had happened to him. Why bother selling in the first place, if ten seconds later you're going to run perfectly fine? It's only a little thing and i'm probably nitpicking, but it just stood out for mine.

Guest Tjhe CyNick

Guys,

Doesn't it make sense to ignore a championship match involving Bradshaw? Ive read a lot of posts on this very forum that crap on JBL as one of the worst, if not the worst WWE Champ in WWE history. Maybe the crowd, which is recognized as one of the best they have, realized JBL is not worthy and therefore couldn't get into the match because it was for the title.

Eugene is impossible to get behind as a serious upper level guy. Like I said before, people in Toronto are not going to get behind a fake retard, just because he's a fake retard.

Also, whats the deal with so many short matches? Maybe if they gave the 6 man more time it would have got over. But what you had was 6 guys who are a combination of bland or unknown in a pointless match that could have been on TV.

And as for the people paying for tix to sit on their hands. Well, people buuy tix well before the card is released so they could have expected better matches, and were disappointed.

Come on where's the love for my city? The crowd was really brutal tonight, but I think overall the crowd was shitting on the things that have been stupid or stale for the most part for the summer. BTW, the crowd wasn't booing Eddie, but just cheering Angle. This is the same crowd that was into Eddie last year because he was hot. He isn't hot the way the wwe has pushed him. Honestly, I think this crowd is a wake up call for Vince Mcmahon. Toronto doesn't suck as this city historically helped build the wwe during the expansion years. I would think the wwe would take notice that maybe this was a smarter crowd trying to tell them something about their product. I don't think anyone can say that there was actually anything great on this show. If you are getting this kind of response in Toronto something is seriously wrong. Trips/Jericho wasn't dead because of Toronto. It was dead because the booking sucked and so did the match. With all this said, the crowd did kind of go overboard with the rebellion. I'm listening to the LAW right now and I want to see what other fans are going to say about the show on the radio.

To those of you who are saying "Fuck WWE and Fuck Randy Orton" because he's the new champ, you need to grow the hell up. It's almost like it's getting a more negative reaction from you guys than the JBL win at the GAB did . . . even though the match was great and the ending was awesome in its own right, you're still shitting on Orton. He wrestled his ass off against Benoit, and Benoit wrestled one of the best matches I've ever seen him in. Both guys have a ton to be proud of after tonight. Definite **** or better match, IMO.

And speaking of JBL, aside from the shitty-assed Toronto crowd, I really think JBL and 'Taker put on a hell of a match. It wasn't ***** by any means, but I'd definitely give it a solid *** for a good, intense brawl. And the ending with the limo was a great visual. I don't give a fuck whether you like JBL as champ or not, it's fucking disrespectful to both guys when they're busting their asses for the fans and all they can do is start a damn wave and have no interest in the match. Most of those almost 18,000 fans went to the show with complete intentions of shitting all over everything whether it was good or not. Yes, they've got every right to do that, they paid their money to be there. But that still doesn't make it any better - the crowd tonight was absolutely worthless. Period.

I know Vince made a shitload of money off the Toronto crowd, and from a business standpoint, it's pretty smart to hold shows there. But personally, I could give a fuck less if WWE EVER runs another show in Toronto again - they shit all over absolutely everything they could find, and it just hit me as being disrespectful. I could understand it if the guys were just phoning it in or "going through the motions" so to speak. But I thought most everybody on the show gave it 110% and got NOTHING in return for it.

All in all (ignoring the 18,000 assholes) - it was easily the best PPV this year aside from WMXX.

You people who are crapping on the crowd are hilarious.  It sounds like you all work for the WWE.  I can hear the press release tomorrow: 

"We at WWE put on a classic PPV in terms of quality, but because the Toronto fans didn't get excited for three 6 minute matches, cheered for Jerihco instead of Edge, Angle instead of Eddie, HHH instead of Eugene and didn't take the championship match defended by BRADSHAW seriously, the show seemed average.  Obviously, this was purely the fault of the Toronto fans and had nothing to do with the quality of the booking or the work on the show.  We can only assume the sheep in future crowds will make our average PPV efforts seem spectacular"  -- WWE

I guess we should blame the Toronto fans for the crappy ratings this week as well.  Oh and terrorism, thats their fault as well.  Bastards!

Well, i guess if Meltz says its not that good, that's that, and we should all agree.

I'm watching the damn show and I say it's not that bad

I also say the crowd is sucking major horse cock tonight and ruined the whole show. Fuck them

I dont think his opinion is the word of God or anything, but he is the most respected journalist/reporter whatever you want to clal him in the business, so his opinion counts for something. I dont know you from a hole in the ground, so your opinion doesn't carry as much weight with me. I'm not saying I dont respect your opinion, rather I just dont know your history.

Anyway I just dont get your anger. This is what the crowd is guilty of:

#1. Ignoring matches that either weren't hyped very well (6 man), had dumb angles involved where the face is impossibel to cheer for (Hardy-Kane deal) and a match that is worthless (Match 1 of Cena-BT).

#2. Cheering one face over another, and not popping like little girls over hearing their hometown get called out by the ring announcer.

#3. Cheering for Kurt Angle, one of the greatest wrestlers of all time over another great performer. But I forgot, Eddie's the face.....bahhhh (sheep noise).

#4. Turning on a guy who has no business in the main event picutre (Eugene) over a guy who even though he's bad for the business has proved himself to the audience on many occasions.

#5. Making a joke of a championship match where the title that is being fought for is a joke. Thats downright evil to me! Damn you Toronto, JBL is a great champion, he was on MSNBC!!!!!!

#6. Chanting "You Screwed Bret" at Hebner when the WWE entices that stuff virtually every time they are in Canada and whenever Vince needs an easy screw the babyface angle.

I dont know, I think a lot of your hatred should be pointed at Vince and co. but I'm just an evil Torontonian, so I'm just trying to stir up s%$#.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and most of the stuff they did didn't bother me.

Its these things:

1) The wave during a WWE championship match, and not a bad one at that. Not to mention the "Spanish Table" chants. I dont know, strikes me a bit as disrespectful.

2) The "You screwed Bret" chants were bound to happen. It's been seven years though, and it would have been ok if it was 1 or maybe even 2. But, cmon 6 chants? That gets old really quick.

1. The "Spanish table!" chants were at least acceptable because that pertains to the match.

2. That's never gonna die. We'll have to live with it.

3. You're going a bit far there - Benoit was supported, maybe not overly but he was. As for the booing of the handshake... Can't say that I noticed that immensely.

You get this kind of a crowd now and then. Last time WWE held a PPV in Toronto (WrestleMania X8), they weren't like this.

Guest CronoT
Is Anglesault on suicide watch?

Despite the fact that I feel Orton is too early in his career to be the world champion, I don't want his reign to be transitional so he can just hand it to HHH. Give him a few months, at least until Survivor Series or even Royal Rumble.

I'm glad he won, and he won clean, which means a whole lot in these days of run ins, ref bumps and cheap DQ's.

Honestly, I'm not hating on Orton as much as I used to. Either he's been improving, or my Hatorade supply is running low.

RAW should be very interesting tomorrow night. How long do you think it will be before Triple H' title seperation anxiety forces him to turn on Orton? I'm guessing as soon as tomorrow, or as long as next month.

See, this is why Summerslam should have been in Philly!

...yes, I'm greedy!  So what?

No! Keep it in Canada! In Vancouver to be more specific....

Was Toronto this bad for WM 18, with the exception of the Hogan/Rock match?

Toronto is the city that completely killed the HHH/Jericho Main Event.

With the exception of crowd reaction for Hogan/Rock at WrestleMania X8 and Hogan/Warrior at WrestleMania VI, Toronto has ALWAYS been a shit crowd.

Hopefully, Vince has seen a better look at this tonight.

Wrong.

I went to a RAW show in Toronto and the crowd was HOT for the entire show.

Toronto doesn't like charity cases (see Eugene) and doesn't like Taker. So there ya go.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Angle looked good, but relied WAY too much on ground submission wrestling. Guerrero now drops further down the ladder.

I really liked the MMA stylingz of Angle/Eddie AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE MMA. It was just something cool and different that you don't see everyday in the WWE.

Guest Staravenger
To those of you who are saying "Fuck WWE and Fuck Randy Orton" because he's the new champ, you need to grow the hell up.

You CAN use names, like me for instance. Orton is NOT READY for a World Title run, and the booking was a mess. 4 Main Events, and 4-0 the heels go.

Toronto doesn't like charity cases (see Eugene) and doesn't like Taker. So there ya go.

What the fuck are you talking about?

When I went to Wrestlemania X8, Undertaker had the biggest pop of the night besides the Hogan/Rock match.

Guys,

Doesn't it make sense to ignore a championship match involving Bradshaw?  Ive read a lot of posts on this very forum that crap on JBL as one of the worst, if not the worst WWE Champ in WWE history.  Maybe the crowd, which is recognized as one of the best they have, realized JBL is not worthy and therefore couldn't get into the match because it was for the title. 

Eugene is impossible to get behind as a serious upper level guy.  Like I said before, people in Toronto are not going to get behind a fake retard, just because he's a fake retard. 

Also, whats the deal with so many short matches?  Maybe if they gave the 6 man more time it would have got over.  But what you had was 6 guys who are a combination of bland or unknown in a pointless match that could have been on TV.

And as for the people paying for tix to sit on their hands.  Well, people buuy tix well before the card is released so they could have expected better matches, and were disappointed.

In regards to 'Taker/Bradshaw, no it doesn't because whether or not it involves Bradshaw, it's a fucking WWE Championship match, featuring the Undertaker's first shot since his return no less.

I can see where you're coming from there, but usually if a wrestler has a high level of talent and fitting charisma, I'll get behind him.

The PPV almost ran three hours, so things weren't as short as they could've been. The matches that were had a reason to be too.

Sure, maybe they did expect more, but there was plenty of good on offer for the second-biggest show of the year, even if it could've been better.

Shit, Toronto are in a league of their own though, no doubt about that.

Regarding the wave during Taker v. Bradshaw-

Toronto has never cared for the Undertaker and Bradshaw's shtick wasn't going to appeal to Canadians anyway so they had no reason to shit on him.

So of course they're not going to care about the match. No one really wanted a JBL v. Taker main event and they were being vocal about it and letting Vince know.