TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

LOST

You know what I was thinking about today? Nobody on the island really seems to miss anything. Or have memories of happiness they want to get back to. I'm not asking for a constant flow of "man, remember what such and such is like?" or "I wonder how my dog is...," but I think part of the reason I'm getting burnt out is that there are no normal people wondering about, y'know, normal things. Everyone is a murderer/adulterer/criminal with severe daddy issues and heartbreak for miles. Maybe that's why I dislike the flashbacks so much. I guess Desmond's the closest to regular, but he's still so far on the fringe that nothing really resonates.

The closest thing we had to that was Claire wanting peanut butter. I guess since the supply drop and finding the hatch, they don't care anymore?

"Hey, I wonder where the people back at home think I am?"

I'm not impressed by how underwhelming the presence of Desmond is to everyone on the island. If you were one of the forty or so other people on the island, wouldn't you be dying to ask this guy some questions?

You mean like, "Hey, who the fuck are you and where did you come from?"

You know what I was thinking about today? Nobody on the island really seems to miss anything. Or have memories of happiness they want to get back to. I'm not asking for a constant flow of "man, remember what such and such is like?" or "I wonder how my dog is...," but I think part of the reason I'm getting burnt out is that there are no normal people wondering about, y'know, normal things. Everyone is a murderer/adulterer/criminal with severe daddy issues and heartbreak for miles. Maybe that's why I dislike the flashbacks so much. I guess Desmond's the closest to regular, but he's still so far on the fringe that nothing really resonates.

Well the show is called LOST.

(re: first bolded part) They don't show the characters 24/7 ... is it too difficult to presume that some of the times that the viewers are seeing, say, Hurley and Desmond, that Claire & Charlie are sitting in a different part of the beach talking about what they miss from home? If it's not crucial to the plot, there's no reason to show it. Just like you never see any of the characters go to the bathroom or - for the most part - sleep. Just because they don't show it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. (that can kind of tie in to Jonathan's question about Desmond, too ... I am comfortable making the assumption that people did ask him questions about how he got there and who he is ... it just didn't need to be shown to us, the viewers)

(re: second bolded part) The main characters have issues - the secondary characters do not. There are a few dozen "characters" that loiter in the background without much to do ... I presume those are the normal ones, and a TV show about boring, normal characters would have a pretty short lifespan.

(re: first bolded part) They don't show the characters 24/7 ... is it too difficult to presume that some of the times that the viewers are seeing, say, Hurley and Desmond, that Claire & Charlie are sitting in a different part of the beach talking about what they miss from home? If it's not crucial to the plot, there's no reason to show it.

On point one: it's not too difficult to presume that. I'd just like to see it. It might not be crucial to the "plot," per se, but it is crucial to the characters. When it's just a bunch of ciphers running around the jungle, I get bored. The human element that was so compelling in the early going is really drifting away.

As for saying that the redshirts are normal--okay, fine. But isn't it interesting enough to see how this people survive on a freakin' island in the middle of nowhere without them all being connected to terrible deaths? I guess this is just me bitching about the stupid flashbacks again. I miss you, season 1.

I'm not impressed by how underwhelming the presence of Desmond is to everyone on the island. If you were one of the forty or so other people on the island, wouldn't you be dying to ask this guy some questions?

You mean like, "Hey, who the fuck are you and where did you come from?"

Honestly, to me that would be like showing Jack Bauer taking a piss or making a sandwich. There's no need to show it, because it won't add anything.

If everyone started asking Desmond questions, and he said "Ok, listen up, here's the story of Desmond", he would be telling them stuff that we the viewers already know. How long has he been in the hatch, how did he get here, who was Kelvin - Heckle and Jeckle, or whoever those two random new people are, might not know this yet but the people watching the show do. So unless some new information, some new character development, or some new plot twist could be shoehorned in to Desmond's RIVETING DESCRIPTION OF HIMSELF~!~!, there's really no point in putting it on the air. It's not unreasonable to assume that it happened.

Edited by chirs3

The point is that can be done without us seeing it and they save that time to develop more interesting plot points. The audience knows, so stopping the flow of the story and sitting everyone around the campfire to rehash old information wouldn't be a good use of their time.

The point is that can be done without us seeing it and they save that time to develop more interesting plot points. The audience knows, so stopping the flow of the story and sitting everyone around the campfire to rehash old information wouldn't be a good use of their time.

Exactly.

There's a part of me that thinks that the Lostaways not sitting down and discussing all the crazy stuff that's happened IS a plot point. I think there's a reason they're not talking, but I'm not quite sure what it is... I do hope it is addressed. Although, I do agree some stuff doesn't need to be seen.

Whole mess of spoiler type things from spoilerfix.com

# Michael Emerson reveals: "You're going to find out some cool stuff watching the [fall] finale. There's going to be an unexpected sort of medical crisis, some health issues and some questions about loyalty. Some people are going to be crossing lines and aligning themselves with people you wouldn't have expected." Source: Kristin on E!Online

# new 11/08 - Kristin from E! spilled that this week Sawyer and Kate will sleep together and that Jack will have a peek at it. Jack will operate on Ben. Only one between Kate and Jack is sincere in his or her intentions and the other does it for personal gain, which will be revealed with a bloody -good cliffhanger twist. We won't know if Ben survived the operation

# 11/08 - Cuse and Lindelof revealed: We have a very clear plan for this season, and I don't think we'll get back to Michael and Walt's story this season. Harold Perrineau's story is not finished. He is not on the show currently, but I think everybody is very curious to know what happened to Michael and Walt, and we hope to get back to that story. That character is still out there in the Lost universe. I think there are some upcoming episodes — after the break in the spring — that will answer a number of the open questions. We certainly plan to tell the audience this year how Locke got in the wheelchair. We'll be getting a lot more detailed about what happened to Locke, Eko and Desmond following the immediate aftermath of the hatch exploding, imploding or potentially doing something else. We're doing a flashback story where you'll find out how Jack got his tattoos. And we'll begin peeling back layers of who the Others are, how long they've been on the island, what their origins are. That's really the sort of uber-plot of Season 3. "What's the nature of this island? Where is this island?" The overarching mysteries of Lost remain unanswered. But those questions have to remain unanswered until the show ends. [Eko might be back and it] might not necessarily be a flashback episode. [What happened immediately after the hatch exploded] might be a flashback, but we're not going to tell you how that information gets relayed. That island isn't necessarily where [the Others] live. It's not necessarily the same place where we saw those guys in the beginning of the teaser of the season premiere this year. I think that would be a very reasonable explanation as to how Goodwin and Ethan could run from the Others' home camp to the crash site [in about one hour. The guy with the eye patch is going to figure prominently this season.] The fact that the island may have been seen [by the outside world] is pretty much the entire story arc of the second half of the year. There are two bombs being dropped [during the second half of the season], one of which is a character bomb, and that will happen within the first three episodes after the break. And the other is a more significant story bomb, a game-changer, as it were, and that will happen shortly after. Source: Ask Ausiello @ TV Guide

# new 11/07 - Other Tailies have survived but we don't know where they are. Future episodes will explain what happened to the doctors. Black Rock will be seen in an upcoming episode.

does anyone feel like there are more commercials than before on the show? Sometimes it seems like we only get five minutes of show time before the next commercial, i swear i've looked at the clock and noticed only like 6 minutes gone.

Guest NYankees

Finally some hot steamy sex on lost. Is this the last episode til February? God that is one long break.

Is Kate going to be pregnant now or did Sawyer use the pull out method?

Hell of a cliffhanger

"Shephard wasn't even on Jacob's list."

EDIT: Is it Jacob or Gerald Degroot? If it's Jacob - is it him? If it's Gerald - who the hell is Jacob?

PS: Jack is the fucking man.

Also, if you saw the episode tonight you should read the spoilers that were posted above - there is a lot of cool stuff there that isn't spoilers - more like a preview.

Two months. :(

I'm not posting this to be an ass or anything but what's this show about?

A plane crashes on an island in the middle of nowhere. Some 40-odd survivors try to...well...survive, despite the fact that the island they've landed on has a lot of weird shit going on.

i skipped watching the tv airing and downloaded it instead, just finished and was tons more satisfying without the fifty commercial breaks after 5 minutes of show. i think i'm gonna start doing that from now on when Lost returns.

-Ben asking about Alex gives some cred to the theory that Rosseau is an Other that went AWOL.

- Jack's cold-bloodedness in the opening was wild.

- Nathan Fillion is the house. HOLLA. "Wanna get it on?"

- Whoever writes primarily for Kate must've had some kind of epiphany, like "Man, we're not doing out best to make her look her hottest." So they decided to make her look fucking outrageously smokin' here. A few times over.

- Nice speech by Locke at Eko's grave. Sayid and Locke heading North could be interesting and now that the Security System has been outed so to speak things will hopefully pick up on that end of the story.

Hell of an episode, the break is going to be absolute balls.

Jack played right into the Other's hands. Kate kept telling him she can't leave the island because she really CAN'T. She knows they're on a separate island and there's nowhere for her to run, but Jack doesn't know that.

There was no cliffhanger, it's obvious what happens - Jack played right into the Other's hands. Kate kept telling him she can't leave the island because she really CAN'T. She knows they're on a separate island and there's nowhere for her to run, but Jack doesn't know that.

I don't understand why she didn't just say it. Jack was holding all the chips. The Others couldn't do anything.

It's fun watching the Others squirm. Ben and Juliette's robot-like demeanor is annoying. They don't sweat anything. I'm kind of tired of that.

Sign in to follow this