TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dropkickguy

Most impressive wrestling debut.

I can't remember Tazz's at all (link?), but I do remember Jericho's.

When his name appears on the screen, the roar is unbelievable.

The name thing was what I really liked about Jericho's debut.

From what I could tell, it seemed like a lot of people expected Jericho to be the man the clock was counting down to, but no one was really sure.

So the clock ticks down, and still no one is sure.

And the lights start changing colors, and no one is sure.

And the pyro goes off, and the music hits, and no one is sure.

And then JERICHO in giant letters, so everyone was sure all at once. I really liked how they did that.

I'm going to sound like a broken record and say Jericho or Tazz. It shows how much more the WWF had their shit together back then ... the countdown for Jericho was sweet because they couldn't even show him or say his name yet managed to hype him up for weeks before his debut. And the Tazz one was genius, debut-ing him in NYC where everyone would know him and help get him over.

And the old-school in me says Flair from his first WWF run in the early 90s ... Heenen did a great job getting him over to fans who might not have been fully aware of his NWA past.

Yeah, Carlito coming out with that smug look on his face with the apple, and then later beating Cena for the title.... that was a pretty nice debut. It's 2nd to Jericho though. That was an awesome night.

From what I could tell, it seemed like a lot of people expected Jericho to be the man the clock was counting down to, but no one was really sure.

And then JERICHO in giant letters, so everyone was sure all at once. I really liked how they did that.

Jericho's debut was the best.

especially the part when his theme song starts it goes

"We're comin in BITCH!" or somethin like that.

Just awesome stuff.

^^ yeah right before "BREAK DAH WALLS DOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNN!"

that's when his name appeared on the screen.

another one and i don't know if it counts but whatever, Mr. Perfect re-appearing in the WWF at the 2002's Rumble. the best part was that he made it to the final four and did the gum-spitting thing hehe.

Guest LooneyTune

The funny thing about Perfect's gum spit was he was being double teamed against the ropes by the Ex-2 Man Power Trip, and he still had the time to spit and swat it away on the brink of elimination.

Guest theanswer1824

goldberg in wwe. they could have botched his debut but they put him right away vs. the rock. good call.

Guest LooneyTune

If we're going by his 1st appearence, it was the manditory pop. In his first match (vs. The Rock), he got shat on by the crowd I thought (or the crowd was pro-Rock, which is still pretty bad). I've only seen the show once, so I can't give 100% accuracy.

I remember jericho's debut and that was a real mark out moment for me since i loved him from WCW but I don't remeber if they were hyping it or did he just show up? I've seen clips from lesnar's debut but I didn't see it live cause i was just really mad at the direction the WWE was going at the time so i refused to watch until about no mercy that year.

Guest JMA

Jericho's debut was definitely the best. Once his name appeared on the Titantron, I instantly began to mark-out like a little kid. It was perfect.

goldberg in wwe. they could have botched his debut but they put him right away vs. the rock. good call.

Except we all saw it coming because they played a Backlash promo at WMXIX with his theme music and everything. I was the one poor guy in all of Safeco Field meekly adding "Sucks!" to the end of every "Gooooooooooooldbeeerrrrrrrrg." Who says WWF fans never watched WCW?

For most impressive debut, I'll say GobbeldyGooker. I was certainly impressed with the heel heat.

Jericho is the absolute peak for the exact reasons you listed. The hype leading up to it and the unsureness really made it memorable. The site of "Jericho" on the screen sent shivers up my spine and made the crowd explode.

The great promos they cut really cemented this as the best ever.

Other notables not listed that I liked were Christian's single debut and DDP's WWE debut. Christian opera theme was new and completely different and the waterfall fireworks really made him look like something special. I can't remember if he cut a promo but the entrance itself was awesome. As for DDP, his WWE run speaks for itself but I loved that entrance. Everyone's pops for the Undertaker's music and out rolls the masked stalker, instant heel heat. Then he rips the mask off to a loud pop. He cuts a great promo totally dropping the ridiculous stalker storyline, instead introducing himself as a top player here to make an impact. Of course having straight wrestling matches isn't entertaining, so they had to pick up the stalker angle again, producing utter garbage and ruining a great beginning.

My favorites:

Jericho...obvious.

Lesnar...only because I had seen him wrestle in college, and had been telling my friends for months about this guy from OVW who was going to be HUGE...

Snitsky...from nameless jobber with no intro...so main event at Survivor Series...pretty impressive...

Booker T...for a moment I just said to myself, oh shit...here comes WCW...oh how wrong I was...

The worst debuts?

Deacon Batista...what the fuck...

and...

RHR...man...my first post is just horrible...

<hangs head in shame for not knowing how the forums worked before his first post>

<smiles...knowing that this thread actually belong in the General Wrestling category imho>

DDP being revealed as the stalker.

The re-debut of the Deadman character was the best in terms of sheer anticipation on the part of old and new fans. I couldn't find a single person who wasn't really jazzed about it.