TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
slabinskia

So how was wrestlemania

Didn't Shamrock win the belt but then get DQed after the fact to give the belt right back to Rock?

Yep, if what I am remembering is correct. That's what Crumb was talking about with the Dusty Finish.

Jason

Guest Shadow

I remember nothing about WM13 except the I Quit Match, was that a clean mania?

Guest The Mandingo Warrior

I watched the show on ppv and was entertained by most of it. I loved the following things:

-Hogan beating up Hussein and then posing (made me feel like a kid again)

-Angle/ micheals - amazing, glad Kurt won

-Ladder match - Shelton and Benoit were awesome

-Great Undertaker match, good false finshes, Cowboy Bob Orton with the CAST was golden -see it really WAS injured!! :lol:

-Pipers pit was good

What I didn't like:

-Eddie/Rey, not really bad, but Rey kept fucking around with his mask and it looked like he couldn't concentrate on the match

-womens match - good for T and A shots (especially the final pin!!) but little else. I felt bad for Trish given the fact that she has talent yet is continuously placed in the ring with those who don't)

-sumo match - more T and A than the womens match, only it was from 500 pound men :(

-both main events could have been much better. Glad to see JBL finally lose.

Overall, the good outweighed the bad in my opinion, and I enjoyed this card much better than last years...

Guest Shadow

WMVII then? I want to say Cornette interfered in the opening six man.

WMXI? I refuse to revisit that one.

WMX had perfect/luger thing.

WMIX had the screwy tag title match, fuji and the salt, G.G with the ether, Luger used the ropes to pin Perfect, I believe Shawn/Tatanka was a DQ...

WMVIII had Whippleman/Shango run in.

and i draw a blank for now from 7 to 1.

Guest Shadow
WM12 had Dibiase interference

so Cornette wasn't involved in the opener?

Guest LooneyTune

What logic is there in the Big Show beating Akebono in a Sumo Match? Akebono is a Grand Champion (sure it was in 1993, but he's still one) and Show has no Sumo training. Show winning would probably be much worse.

Guest LooneyTune

(off top of head)

WM 1: Valentine lost by Count-Out; Orton accidental hit Orndorff with cast

WM 2: DQ in Boxing Match; Savage used ropes for leverage

WM 3: Honky used ropes to win; Reed pulled tights

WM 4: Demolition used cane to win; shitty DQ's and CO's in Tournament

WM 5: Rude had help from Heenan

WM 6: Dibiase count out win

WM 7: Hennig DQ loss

Every WM has at least 1 unclean finish.

Will Show ever win at Mania?

Heck no. In fact Big Show should just be the complete opposite of Taker and have the legdendary Wrestlemania Losing Streak. Then we can have some guy (heel or face, it doesn't matter) talk about how he's going to keep the streak alive when they face him and then show a video package demonstrating Show's defeats.

Guest Shadow
(off top of head)

except tonight's.

The crowd was dead? Did you watch the same Wrestlemania XXI that I did? The crowd was perfectly fine outside of MOST of JBL/Cena, Trish/Christy, and most of the sumo match. If you want a dead Wrestlemania crowd, watch XIX.

From the entertainment value of most of the matches and segments, WMXXI is easily one of the better Wrestlemanias. Easily the best since X7 (Excluding that ONE triple threat match last year. One match does not make an entire WM, and WMXX had 3 entertaining matches among a big pile of crap).

(off top of head)

Adding to this, because I'm bored.

WM1 - DDQ finish between Beefcake and D.Sammartino

WM2 - Funk used megaphone on JYD, DCO between Orndorff/Muraco, Kirschner used Blassie's cane on Volkoff

WM3 - only clean matches were the opener, Savage/Steamboat, and Hogan/Andre

WM4 - summed up well enough.

WM5 - DCO between Beefcake/Dibiase, Strike Force breakup (though I suppose that was technically clean since Tito was always legal), DQ between Jake/Andre, DDQ between Duggan/BNB

WM6 - DCO between Piper/BNB, Elizabeth interference in the mixed tag, Orients/Rockers CO finish, Duggan used 2X4 on Bravo

WM7 - Nasties cheat to beat Harts, Virgil/Dibiase CO finish, Mountie cheats to beat Tito.

(If you really want to get technical, Tornado cheated to beat Bravo, since Bravo had made the ropes while in the clawhold and Tornado pulled him out.)

I agree the crowd fucking sucked for this Wrestlemania.  They really should stay away places that are always so quiet to anything but Hogan/Austin/Rock.

Quite possibly the worst WM crowd ever , IMO .

I was at WM17 and it was an awesome crowd .

My thoughts..

I liked WMXXI. It had some rough spots as all WMs do (sumo match, women's match, etc). But overall, it was entertaining. I see some people are complaining about a "dead" crowd, but they must have watched the wrong show. Outside of stuff like JBL/Cena, they were into the show.

Eddie/Rey could have been much more, but I enjoyed what there was of it. In a match, there is an A, B, and C part. A being the feeling out process usually with some chain wrestling and whatnot. The B part being when the tide shifts to primarily one person for a certain amount of time and over to the other with signature spots being brought out, but nothing too big. Then, C part being the big moves, spots, and finishing moves ultimatly climaxing in the finish of the match. Rey/Eddie felt like an AB match.

The ladder match was what the ladder/TLC multi-man matches usually are. And, I feel it did justice to that type of match and was a lot of fun. It's nice to have a match like this every once in a while when WWE has really cut back on these types of matches in recent times. Shelton was easily the star of the match, which I found surprising as I didn't think he'd be of much focus. Benoit's selling was awesome as it always is with his shoulder and emotion (Come on, you had to pop for Kane going up the ladder to get Benoit down, but Benoit just headbutting the fuck out of Kane until he fell back down). Match should have went longer.

I was disapointed that nobody noted that David Arquette in the crowd was a former WCW champion :(.

Hogan coming back to clean house on the boring Hassan was the typical nostalgic type of thing. I liked it.

Taker vs. Orton was a lot better than it should have been. I see Orton working with so many guys like Benoit and Jericho so often really DID help him. I wouldn't say he's been on a roll with good matches, this match joins his match with Christian on Raw and HHH at the Rumble as some stand out matches. I knew Taker was going to win, but by the near end of the match, I was holding out for Orton to take it. Too bad this match didn't take place during about July of last year when he was somewhat fresh off of his run with Foley and still a heel while getting the megapush. Chokeslam into RKO was cool.

Trish vs. Christy.

Ok, well, I didn't really pay any attention to this match much. But, damn, Trish is hot.

HBK vs. Angle. I fucking loved this match. Easily one of the best WWE matches in a long while. Yeah, HBK temporarily no sold the back work with his magical kip-up. Yes, the back is not part of the ankle. But, as far as WWE match story telling goes, this was great with Angle pulling EVERYTHING out of his arsenal to put away the never-die HBK including the rare Angle moonsault and TOP ROPE MOTHERFUCKING ANGLE SLAM. I was into this match heavily and loved it. I wonder if HBK is going to start wearing those pants instead of his tights. I like the tights as he's worn that for so long, but the pants weren't bad, actually.

Angle is the man.

Austin/Piper was fun until Carlito came out. I like Carlito and stuff, but they should have at LEAST given Austin and Piper more time to talk to eachother before Triple C came out. They had some nice chemistry going on that was funny.

Akebono vs. Show. Well, I originally thought this was going to be a work, but I guess not. It was...different...In theory, these sports vs. sports or whatever the hell you want to call it matches sound good (boxer vs. wrestler, etc). But, when's the last time that anybody cared about a match like that since Inoki vs. Ali?

JBL/Cena was depressing. Both guys have really weak movesets and that was very apparent in this match. They should have just had a knock down drag out brawl as something like JR would say with both guys repeatedly kicking out of eachothers finishers, crimson mask, all that good stuff. Almost like a Last Man Standing match type of thing going on, the never quit type of match from both guys. That would have been the climatic way to go with the match, but I guess this match being climatic wasn't on the drawing boards. JBL should have gone down in a blaze of glory, damnit.

Batista/HHH was nothing special, but it was alright. I liked the ending of it with Batista busting out of the pedigree with his STRENGTH~! thing. The thumbs down thing was well executed with the crowd giving the thumbs down in the camera shot as he was holding his thumbs up. It was nice to see HHH leaning on the corner with bleeding everywhere with Batista standing tall with the title and HHH backing down and getting out of the ring. Kind of climatic. LIKE JBL/CENA WASN'T.

Overall, WMXXI = Thumbs up. One of the better Wrestlemanias and easily the best since X7 (Not saying that's much of an accomplishment, though...)

Guest Hass of Pain

My thoughts, sorry if this is a little long:

I really enjoyed Wrestlemania and for the bigger shows, I try to look at them as a fan instead of the internet geek point of view that I usually see a show from. This is typically easy as WWE is excellent at creating a special big event atmosphere, and this year was no different.

The set was amazing, the promos were amazing, the presentation was amazing and the production was amazing as WWE is really second to none when it comes to these things.

I thought that Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio was good. I have never once attempted to rate a match because honestly after reading newsletters and following the internet for six years I still can't watch a match and have any idea what the difference between ***1/4 and ***1/2 is. With that said, I can't say how anyone could mistake Guerrero/Mysterio for a **** match. The problem with the match was that Guerrero and Mysterio is that stealing the show really didn't seem like it was something they had the blessing to do, and it looked like they were just given 12 minutes to warm up the crowd and not deliver something untoppable in the 1 spot that the rest of the four hour show couldn't live up to. It was a perfecty good opener, both guys looked a little nervous and the referee got in the way of spots a lot, but it was pretty good and I have no doubt that if they would have been given 27 minutes and the blessing that Angle and Michaels were, they could have delivered a classic.

The stuff with HHH and Flair interacting with JBL and his cabinet was awesome, and it went to prove that from a character standpoint JBL and his crew are just as developed as HHH and cronies, they just have weaker circumstances surrounding them. A JBL/HHH with program, especially with JBL as a babyface, would be so great.

The ladder match was tremendous and a breakout match for Shelton Benjamin, but I can't stand Edge and have yet to have been given any kind of explanation as to why everyone is jumping on his groin lately. He did less work and took fewer bumps than anyone, and everyone else worked their asses off to build the heat in the match that he just kind of came along and stole. And once again, he reacts with the only expression he seems to know, he bugs his eyes out, breathes really heavily and looks like a caveman. His ringwork bores me, his character (which gets all kinds of praise but consists of little more than delivering incredibly unbelievable snarling rants about nothing) is lame and I can't for the life of me grasp why someone like Benjamin wasn't given the win. It was still a fantastic match and any one of the six men could have won and it still would have been memorable as hell. Awesome performance by everyone involved, especially Benoit, Benjamin and Christian.

The Hassan/Daivari appearance was great, and Daivari was looking PIMP in the white suit. I liked Hassan better when he was rocking the suit too and seeming like a classy man of intelligence instead of a generic foreigner heel. The first time was bad but inconclusive, but for WWE to tell Hassan to do the throat cutting gesture (he wouldn't have done it again after getting "heat from management" unless someone told him to) in front of such a huge audience. It was just a dumb thing to do, and it doesn't even fit Hassan's character as he's supposed to be an Arabian who's tired of being labeled a terrorist, not an actual terrorist.

Hogan was cool, and the fan in me will always mark out for a Hogan run in. It was totally boss, and the crowd ate it up. The internet geek in me was waiting for Hassan to get his heat back on Hogan, but the moment will go down as one of Wrestlemania's greats and Hassan won't lose that much from selling 80's style to The Hulkster. I would love a program in the future between these two, if they are going to make Hassan a terrorist now they might as well go all the way and have him bomb Hogan's Dodge Viper, that would rule.

The Undertaker and Randy Orton match a mixed bag for me. I am just flat out getting tired of The Undertaker's act. Where as at least HHH finds ways to stay passably interesting, nothing about the Undertaker's character has changed in the last four years. It doesn't matter if he is the dead man or the TruckerTaker, he still does the same old thing, has the same old slow plodding matches where he makes his opponents look terrible despite the wins not helping or hurting his own career and he is pretty much like the black hole of the WWE roster. His entrance was spectacular and a great moment, but when it ended he was showing his age more than ever and the match was entertaining but really just ok. I loved the Bob Orton cast shot, and I like the way they are turning Wrestlemania into showcase of interactions between the stars of yesterday, today and tommorow. Randy Orton was ok, but he didn't step up his game enough and looked like he was wrestling on a Raw main event or something. I don't understand why it took both Randy and his father to job cleanly to the Undertaker, and even the mark in me is bored by The Taker and sick of seeing him stunt the growth of the careers of anyone he steps in the ring with, and he really didn't need the win, even if Orton is getting surgery. The Takers career will stay in nuetral as always, Ortons will take a hit, bad logic to give the win to Taker.

Trish Stratus vs. Christy was pretty much Trish carrying Christy and looking ridiculously hot doing it. Trish has my vote as the greatest all around female performer the sport has ever seen, and she shined tonight like always.

Shawn Michaels taking on Kurt Angle was one of the most memorable Wrestlemania matches that I have ever seen. I was pulling for Angle 700% as he's one guy who ALWAYS puts people over and deserved a clean submission win more than anyone in the company. Awesome build, awesome teasing of spots, awesome chemistry and the finish was amazing. In my gut I KNEW Michaels was going to win, and I am so happy Kurt Angle got the win and a huge babyface response from the crowd. Spot of the night was Angle pulling on the straps, shrugging and taking them immediately back off.

Piper's pit was a highlight of the show for me. Roddy Piper is the man and can still cut a better promo than just about anyone around. It's great that after years of annoying "What" chants that no one seems to know how to handle, Piper off the cuff shoots them down easily. Something about Steve Austin just rubs me the wrong way these days, and I can't say the mark or internet geek in me was that crazy about his appearance, but damn did Carlito ever shine. The guy is so smooth and has so much poise and dare I say, is so cool. He hung in with a couple of legends tonight like a future star. Piper and Austin's plays off of eachother with Carlito were great. I thought Austin stunning Piper was pretty pointless, especially considering that Piper is enjoying his Hall of Fame weekend and both guys were over like crazy during the segment, and Austin really didn't need the heat of making a legend look stupid.

I thought that JBL taking on John Cena came off absolutely terrible, in respects due to circumstances and in some some respects due to Cena and Bradshaw themselves. The match should have been a coronation of Cena as the new People's Champion so to speak, and it went wrong in several ways.

1) Too many babyfaces brought back. The inclusion of former WWE talent on Wrestlemania is a catch 22. In some circumstances, it is a good thing, but in some ways (like Hogan stealing the show at Wrestlemania X8 and making the HHH/Jericho match seem trivial) it can really hurt the young guys who's careers are supposed to be forwarded by Wrestlemania yet get overshadowed by nostalgia fever. John Cena has on most weeks been the most over babyface in the WWE, even ahead of Batista. Tonight though, Cena didn't even come through the entrance until Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper and Steve Austin had already worked the crowd into a frenzy, and he seemed like much less of a star than he normally does as a result.

2) Card Placement: You don't place a slow, plodding brawl after a six way bumpfest, a match you knew was going to be a match of the year candidate going into the show and appearances from four of the most popular veterans (Hogan/Taker/Piper/Austin) of all time. I would have put the match on third and before the ladder match, and then had Cena come out at the end to celebrate with Batista.

3) Entrances. There was one HUGE problem with Wrestlemania in my opinion, and a big part of a reason the new blood (Orton/Cena/Batista) came off as much lesser stars than their opponents was almost entirely due to entrances. It happened THREE times. The Undertaker comes out to this five minute, infernal, mock Satanic entrance appearing larger than life. And then the lights come on, Randy Orton's music hits and he just walks out with no pyros like it is Raw. Orton's entrance was atrocious. The crowd automatically sees Orton as the lesser wrestler. Case two: HHH ASCENDS through the stage while a metal band plays him to the ring, and he walks half a mile down the ramp in the dark with a spotlight like he's Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania III. The lights come back on, Batista's music hits with no build up and no pyro and he just walks out. There was nothing special about it at all, and it took him a while to look like he belonged in his spot too. Case three: JBL gets without question my favorite Wrestlemania entrance ever. Bear in mind I love Bradshaw, but that entrance was just FANTASTIC. From the limo to the money to Orlando Jordan endorsing him on his way to the ring, when it comes to strictly character, JBL was the star of Mania when it came to active wrestlers. And once the vehicle had departed and the sky stopped falling, some music that 99% of the audience doesn't even relate to John Cena hits and he walks out.

My take on Cena/JBL is that the match was killed before the bell even rang. John Cena's entrance was the key, and they blew it. You dont debut new music for a guy a week before Mania, especially considering that Cena's old music had become a huge part of his appeal and his act. John Cena stepping out to compete in the Mania main event he was been speaking of his entire career should have been a moment, instead he got no pyro and walked out to foreign music and no one knew what to make of it. Entrances are everything. The Undertaker's long, theatrical entrance is 75% responsible for him being over as long as he has been in my opinion. John Cena they just threw out there like he was nothing and it showed. The crowd was dead from the first second of the match, and WWE knew these guys couldn't do the things in the ring that would win the crowd back.

I like JBL more than HHH and Cena more than Batista, and even I was appalled at just how bad this match was. The entire match seemed to be both guys laying on the mat, and I was shocked the crowd didn't turn on it entirely. Nothing was memorable about it. Neither guy stepped up their game at all, and considering that almost anyone at a WWE level can probably work from a script and put in some practice runs and Hogan/Warrior a decent *** match, and for these two to fall as flat as they did is inexcusable. To make matters worse, the match felt so unepic and forgettable and maimed the two biggest storylines keeping Smackdown afloat, JBL's monster title reign and Cena's quest to become Smackdown's next marquee champion. Both of those huge builds were shattered to a very unclimactic finish, and I was hoping someone in the back would call an audible and realize that now wasn't the time for the switch and have OJ cost Cena the match or something. It's a shame, because Cena's win AND Bradshaw's loss should have been such a greater moment.

I thought that HHH/Batista was pretty much exactly what it needed to be. HHH gets a lot of shit, but he is the most important figure in World Wrestling Entertainment and a very positive influence to the company in some ways. HHH understands what made wrestling great in the past. Whereas Cena/JBL was a sloppy brawl, the Raw main event used things like the epic staredown, and the long walk down the aisle, and the Harley Race sideburns (haww), the power out of a finisher spot (Batista powering out of the pedigree/Warrior powering out of the Rude Awakening), and the building of anticipation to where the opening bell of a match makes the crowd erupt. HHH seems to understand that stuff. HHH made Batista look awesome, and Batista more than held up his own end of the bargain. The match was everything that it needed to be, and was the kind of memorable ending needed to ensure that this years Mania holds its own when compared to others of the past.

A really fun show, and I can't wait to pick up the DVD.

This felt like a good PPV to me, but it just seemed to be lacking as a WrestleMania.

- Shelton Benjamin's "Stairway to Heaven" was AWESOME. Move of the night.

- That set was ugly... Too many different things going on with it.... The Hollywood sign, the movie screen, and the marquee. It just looked disjointed, like they had three ideas, but didn't want to commit to any of them. They had the city skyline for XX in NY... I'd have built a model of the Hollywood hills for this entrance, but that's just me.

- I'm probably in the minority on this, but I missed having the backstage skits and running plots throughout the night that you normally have on a PPV, very little interaction between brands outside of the champions skit and the interpromotional matches.

- No major surprises, no major turns. Everybody was just kinda... there.

- I didn't think the crowd was bad. Was it great? No, but when you are going through the motions for 4 hours, you get burned out. Half the crowd in my house tonight lost interest about 2/3 through the show. By the way, with WM going to Chicago next year (and wow, what a total lack of creativity for THAT logo), you will NOT have to worry about crowd heat.

- Hard for me to judge the SmackDown title match because I never watch that show, but jeez, that just seemed flat. THAT is your brand's main event? It especially looked shitty when, in the very next match, Batista got pyro, confetti and the whole nine yards for winning his brand's belt.

- Batista-HHH was boring and seemed half-assed.

- Angle-HBK was fantastic. I especially loved Angle spazzing out, then just screaming at HBK, feeling like there was nothing else he could do. I kept yelling in my living room "Grapevine the leg! Lock that in and there's no escape. It'll be OVER!" Well, there you go. No way in hell I thought Michaels would do the J-O-B, but I was glad to see he did.

Ultimately, I don't think this show actively sucked, but I just felt really underwhelmed. Outside of Angle-HBK and MAYBE the end of Orton-Undertaker (and that is a REACH), the rest of this card just seemed really, really flat and totally laking in drama. I just get the feeling this is one of those cards that few people will still be talking about five or six years down the road. Very forgettable show.

EDIT: Completely forgot... I love Stone Cold, but that was one of the weakest WM openings I can ever remember. Saving one final trailer to open the show? Brilliant. Saving THAT trailer to open the show? Blah. Vince as the Godfather still would've ruled all.

I liked the set, myself. It had the 3 big elements in it (Hollywood sign, movie screen, marquee) but none of those alone could really be a great unique entrance set (we've seen the Hollywood sign-style thing at No Way Out and the big screen at SSeries 2002). Plus, I liked how the ramp was configured as a five-pointed star and there was a red carpet to the ring. Had they not used the the night before, I would have had those giant Slammy replicas in there somewhere as well.

Also, I do believe that JBL and HHH may each have had the greatest entrance in the history of WrestleMania.

I just went back and rewatched a few parts of the show. One interesting thing was that before Hassan put Eugene in the camel clutch he did the "beheading" throat slashing signal.

The Cena/JBL match was really bad, yes, but going back Cena's comeback was energetic and not THAT bad. I think the layout of the match was awful and was what killed it as JBL got in EVERYTHING in the first ten minutes. I put too much blame on Cena after watching it the first time.

The ladder match and the Angle/HBK match were both simply phenomenal. Everyone was great in the ladder match but Benjamin really stole the show.

I was really surprised there was only one backstage segment the entire night.

Just finished watching it and thought it was a very good PPV, especially the first half with 2 fantastic matches.

I dont care what "star rating" people give HBK vs Angle but for me entertainment wise is was 5 stars, i know if we are being strict its in the 4 star region but I was on the edge of my seat for 30 mins entertained so thats all that matters.

Ladder match was great too, I thought Taker and Orton did an alrite job aswel the match turned out better than i thought it might.

Rey and eddie was good but could have been better, JBL vs cena was poor, as was big show match and womens title match.

Main event was fine GREAT last 5 mins, i would not have mined if HHH had gone over as long as they keep batista hot thats all that matters.

Anyway 2 great matches, 3 good ones and 3 poor ones makes for a good show :)

Guest hhheld_down

i really enjoyed it. my favorite match would probably be money in the bank or angle/micheals. UT/orton really suprised me which was great. The overall hollywood theme went over really well, the set and production were awesome. HHH/batista was as good as i was expecting, i wanted more batista offense though. JBL/cena was ok but they really could of put a better ending on it. JBL goes throuhg 9 months of hell to lose the title with just one FU? I guess it puts over Cena's finisher pretty well but still, kinda disappointing. The sumo match and womens match sucked as much as i thought they would. Anyone notice Akebono diaper, looks like his penis may have been pokin out a little? My gf pointed that out to me and i just kinda shook my head. Guerraro/Mysterio was good but kinda disappointing, rey shouldnt have won. Pipers pit was OK, and hogan ruled. I feel the goods outweighed the bad, it wasnt the best one ever but All in all a very good WM.

Guest jumpingbombangel
The WWE is a daycare centre, and HHH is taking all the toys that the other children could play with, and is playing with them by himself.

It's one thing for HHH to drop the title, but it's a totally different thing to make the title unimportant when HHH doesn't have it (see C. Benoit).

Guest Trivia247

No Complaints on the Taker Orton match, I actually thought if Orton won off that RKO from the Chokeslam I wouldn't complain to much, I laughed my ass off seeing good ol Cowboy come down and Whack the deadman with a cast. But I knew, once Randy was calling to do the Tombstone that his winning was no longer in the cards, and Undertaker went over.

Like everyone here I loved the 6 way ladder match, everyone brought in a good amount of time to it. Unlike a few Kane's involvement was appropiate enough time without overly dominating other wrestlers who needed to do their spots, but the MVP of that match has to be Shelton, he went above and beyond out of all of them, with a honorable mention to Benoit for evidently sacrificing his arm and head for the crowd.

the JBL match seem to be disjointed John Cena seemingly bouncing about then came back as if he was fresh as a daisy. It was like Cena's only offense was in the end?

I guess the crowds are now letting Lita's personal Life slide...maybe they will resume the angle of her married to Kane...

Christy shouldn't have won that match and im glad she didn't, its just sad that the WWE had to fire two valuable Diva wrestlers just to pay for these useless T&A models.

Pipers pit was a bit awkward due to the crowd, and his timing and Austin's is off, but Piper did come back on the Whats very decently.

They pushed Batista correctly and put him in the drivers seat. See THIS is how one should be pushed, Not like a Brock who is handed everything and is allowed to destroy everything to get there. Batista was dominating as soon as he dropped the Deacon bit, however injury and such prevented him from being consistant, however they build him slow up the ranks. and finally when he peaked they sent him against the Game. They had a good match but in the end they showed that Batista when he gets the momentum dominates the HHH character (personally Motor Head playing live must be bad luck for HHH) HHH leaving bloody and beaten beyond recognition is just the way to top the night.

Thumbs up for me.

I really liked HBK/Angle. The story of the match for me was that Angle was focused with an actual gameplan and was going to bust out everything in his arsenal to beat HBK if need be. Angle became frustrated when his initial gameplan didn't work and he had to alter it mid match. I thought it was a nice touch for Kurt to bust out the Anglesault, showing he needed to dig deep in his bag of weapons to find a move that might beat Shawn. Simple, yet effective storytelling. Kurt played his role to perfection, screaming and swearing in HBK's face after he wouldn't tap out, really getting over the intensity of the match. IMO, Kurt outworked Shawn and showed he might be a better storyteller in the ring. Shawn's low blow didn't fit the role he was playing, and him playing subtle heel messed with the overall story of the match. Shawn's best moments were his selling of the ankle lock in the closing minutes, very dramatic and believable. There was more depth to the story of this match that I thought there would be. The only negative was Shawn for some reason playing a subtle heel when he should have been playing the heroic face. Great peformance by Angle, and hopefully he plays this "badass" heel in the ring more often.

Rey/Eddy was disappointing. Eddy looked depressed for some reason and seemed to be moving very slow. It looks as if Rey is in line for a big push. Eddy was not as over as I thought he would be, especially in a West Coast market. Seemed like more of an exhibition than an actaully wrestling match, both guys were just getting their spots in. No one playing a heel in the match really hurt the storytelling IMO. Solid match that lacked a real story

Bradshaw is an underrated worker. He carried Cena in their match. JBL might not do much in terms of moveset, but the moves he does look believable and are done very crisply. I also think his selling has improved dramatically in the past year. Cena needs to work like he did in his feuds with Undertaker and Benoit, where he sold like crazy and timed his comebacks perfectly. His comebacks in this match seem forced and were not believable. JBL was the star of this match.

I really liked the six way ladder match. Benoit was just awesome here, with the most realistic selling I've ever seen in a spotfest ladder match. Benjamin showed tremendous athleticism and got more over in the match even though he didn't win. Christian was in the match to do what he does best,take bumps, and he did that quite effectively. Kane didn't do much, but didn't squash the little guys like I thought he would. Edge didn't do anything out of the ordinary and it was obvious that they were protecting him from taking any real big bumps. It did fit his character to sort of swarm in at the last second and steal the victory. Jericho was solid, but should have played more of a dominating role, since the match was his idea in storyline. No outrageous bumps, but the ones they did looked devastating in their own right.

HHH/Batista was better than I thought it would be. H got too much offense, but Batista's comeback was great stuff. It's no coicidence that the crowd was silent while batista was selling and on fire while he was on offense. Good bladejob by H and he did show ass towards the end of the match, but should have been from the start of the match. Liked this match mainly for Batista's awesome comeback, where he played the monster role to perfection.

Undertaker/Orton continued Taker's streak while still getting Orton over. This match did more to get Orton over than any one thing in the HHH feud. Both worked hard and Undertaker still can lead people in the ring when need be. The spot of the night was the RKO out of the chokeslam. Plus I marked for Ace's cast shot! Good match.

2 great matches, a solid opener, one solid World Title match and great peformances by JBL and Undertaker make this a thumbs up for me, although I wouldn't say it was worth 50 DAMN dollars. Good show.

The hype killed the show for me. Probably would have given it a thumbs down anyway. So as easy it would be for me to map out how every match was flawed and uninspired to the point where this Wrestlemania sucked, I won't. Did they really think LA would actually care? And they will have to do more shows in LA. It's one of the few places left on the map where the WWE can have a legitmate sell-out every time they go there.