TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

Hot Dogs and Hot Dog culture.

Guest Vitamin X
[04:59] pardon miasma: you gotta get the Chicago-style dogs, too

[04:59] opiatefilm: what's the difference?

[04:59] pardon miasma: What's the difference?

[05:00] pardon miasma: There's a world of difference

[05:00] pardon miasma: I wrote an essay junior year about this shit

[05:00] opiatefilm: on hot dogs?

[05:01] pardon miasma: my search for the perfect one on New Year's Eve '02

[05:01] opiatefilm: oh man

[05:02] pardon miasma: ok. Vienna Beef hot dog (this is important, it has to be 100% beef) with mustard, diced onions, sweet relish, tomato slices, sport peppers (again!), pickle spear, celery salt, on a poppy-seed bun

[05:03] opiatefilm: Vienna Beef? I'd go with Hebrew National and no onions, but otherwise yeah I like it so far

[05:03] pardon miasma: Vienna Beef is our hometown brand

[05:04] pardon miasma: conspicuous by its absence is ketchup

[05:04] pardon miasma: which proved to be the major conflict of my narrative

[05:04] pardon miasma: You don't put it on.

[05:04] pardon miasma: You don't ask for it.

[05:04] pardon miasma: I've personally witnessed this error.

[05:05] pardon miasma: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_on_hot_dogs This is entirely accurate.

[05:07] pardon miasma: So make sure you avoid that potential faux pas.

[05:09] opiatefilm: mustard is more popular than ketchup? well I'll be damned.

[05:09] opiatefilm: I don't really fancy ketchup much anyways

[05:09] pardon miasma: Some people just put ketchup and that's it

[05:09] pardon miasma: antithesis of a Chicago dog

[05:10] opiatefilm: my god I didn't know there was a whole cultural thing about it

[05:10] pardon miasma: haha

[05:10] pardon miasma: oh yes

[05:11] pardon miasma: we take the time to create our own version of the hot dog, we're gonna enforce it dammit

[05:14] opiatefilm: I had made this monstrosity quite often in high school, where it'd be loaded with ranch, cheese, bacon, mayo, and mustard

[05:14] pardon miasma: whoa

[05:15] opiatefilm: Okay, I think this needs to be made into a food folder thread.

I've seen this on some Food Network specials where they interview Chicago hot dog vendors and they're so adamantly anti-ketchup you'd think it raped their mom or something...

Hell, I would buy a bottle of ketchup then go to random Chicago hot dog stands, just holding the bottle out in the open, watching them recoil as vampires to a cross

Anyways, I love ketchup on my hotdog, so fuck a bunch of Chicago on that

If you eat ketchup on your hot dog, you deserved to be mauled by pit bulls. Not seriously, no permanent facial disfigurement for example, just enough scars so that you always remember your moment of idiocy.

I heard a guy by the name of William C Wells created the Cheese Dog.

I usually do:

ketchup (OMG NO!~)

hot dog relish (mustard/relish)

onions

And I do my not so world famous double hot dog where you split one hot dog down the middle and put the 2nd one in the grove so that 2 hot dogs fit in 1 bun.

I hate chili dogs because there is no clean way to eat one unless you wuss out and eat it with a fork on a plate.

I also hate sauerkraut.

Just another reason Chicago sucks. Give me a dirty water dog with extra KETCHUP and Onions anyday.

If you eat ketchup on your hot dog, you deserved to be mauled by pit bulls. Not seriously, no permanent facial disfigurement for example, just enough scars so that you always remember your moment of idiocy.

When you die, I will desecrate your grave with Heinz

Mustard, Kreut, Diced Onions, Relish on my dog.

I also like Polish Dogs, Hebrew National(Kosher), among others besides a standard hot dog.

The last few years the Oakland A's have hosted $2 ticket night and $1 hotdog night every wednesday homegame. I guess that is one advantage of having such a crappy fanbase.

Just another reason Chicago sucks. Give me a dirty water dog with extra KETCHUP and Onions anyday.

You win points with me by using the term "dirty water dog". I used that term for some time now to describe vendor hot dogs and people would always look at me like I'm crazy.

Vienna Beef hot dog (this is important, it has to be 100% beef) with mustard, diced onions, sweet relish, tomato slices, sport peppers (again!), pickle spear, celery salt, on a poppy-seed bun

That sounds delicious. What kind of mustard, though? I'm not particularly fond of that French's bright yellow shit.

Me personally: Dill relish, light ketchup, polish mustard, a shit-ton of onions. I'm going to have to try it with tomato slices now, though.

Guest Vitamin X
I've quit eating hot dogs in favor of various German sausages. I don't put ketchup on them, though.

I've sort of done the same thing as well. Bratwurst is fantastic, though I don't mind a good ol fashioned hot dog every now and then.

I don't really like kielbasa.

Ketchup is indeed the pits. I don't like it in general, and haven't used it on hot dogs in years. Mustard, onions, and dill relish is where it's at. If I want a second sauce, I use BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's only).

I stated in another thread that I cant stand to smell ketchup, much less eat it, so thats out of the question. I pretty much just drown my Hot Dog with mustard and call it a day.

The perfect hot dog would be a 100% Vienna Beef dog on a poopy seed bun from Chicago, featuring Stadium Mustard from Cleveland, ketchup, onions, and Rochester, NY style meat based hot sauce, or lacking that Detriot style Cloney sauce.

I stated in another thread that I cant stand to smell ketchup, much less eat it, so thats out of the question. I pretty much just drown my Hot Dog with mustard and call it a day.

You & I, long lost brothers.

Ketchup = the red menace. I just load up on yellow mustard.

The perfect hot dog would be a 100% Vienna Beef dog on a poopy seed bun

Hehehe.

How people can hate on ketchup and praise that astringent, bright yellow mustard is beyond me. Dijon, Polish, stoneground. There are so many vastly superior mustards that aren't so damn sour.