TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Celtic Jobber

Strange food combinations you like

The thread about ketchup on hot dogs gave me the idea for this.

I noticed no one else in that thread mentioned putting mayonnaise on their hot dogs, but where I live that is the custom and I never thought about anyone not using mayo on them.

Other things we eat here (in southern Mississippi) that others don't seem to like are:

French dressing (aka Catalina) on our pizza, (though some prefer ketchup)

Salt on fruits; such as apples, strawberries, grapes, pineapple, cherries, blackberries, and watermelon

Salt on dill pickles, raw carrots, and almost anything else...

Pineapple or banana and mayonnaise sandwiches

Eggs in tuna salad

And we also like sweet iced tea, year-round.

Not everyone where I live enjoys all of these, but I'd say the majority likes a few of these at least.

Does anyone else here have any strange (or regional) food combinations you like that other people don't eat (or have never heard of)?

Guest FromBeyondTheGrave

I like:

Oreos wrapped in cheese slices.

Cheeseburgers dipped in pancake syrup.

Cheesecake dipped in ketchup.

Sugar on meaty pizzas.

Eggs in Tuna salad is pretty common. I mean Mayo is just liquified eggs, basically.

Salt on fruit I've done, they do that in Louisiana as well. It's not terrible, but I prefer it without.

Salt on dill pickles? Are dill pickles not fucking salty enough for you? One has like 300% of your RDA of sodium.

Mayo and fruit is perverted, as is cheese with anything sweet.

My only personal quirk (not local) is making my food as spicy as possible. I load up pho with srirachi until it's bright red and opaque. Thais food is always ordered at 6 stars on a scale of 5. Habanero sauce must be mixed into salsa prior to consumption.

Salt on watermelon is both the grossest and the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

French Fries dipped in soft serve ice cream. Mozzarella Sticks dipped in soft serve ice cream.

Pretty much anything in soft serve ice cream.

Don't know if these are strange, but whatever:

Boiled Eggs with mashed potatos.

Tuna fish with crackers is pretty good.

Orange juice with milk, and sugar is also good.

Pasta (with tomato sauce) with rice and beans.

Guest Vitamin X
French Fries dipped in soft serve ice cream. Mozzarella Sticks dipped in soft serve ice cream.

Close to what I was going to say, but in particular I was thinking of Wendy's french fries dipped in frosties. Good stuff.

Close to what I was going to say, but in particular I was thinking of Wendy's french fries dipped in frosties. Good stuff.

Try Mozzarella Sticks in in ice cream or a milk shake. It's like heaven in your mouth.

The strangest thing I know of comes from my mother who always told me about the time when she wanted an Ice Cream sundae, but only had the vanilla ice cream and whipped cream, and so after a search of the fridge only turned up a bottle of ketchup, thats what she used. She said it was good and that she's had it several times more although she prefers caramel syrup.

My only personal quirk (not local) is making my food as spicy as possible. I load up pho with srirachi until it's bright red and opaque. Thais food is always ordered at 6 stars on a scale of 5. Habanero sauce must be mixed into salsa prior to consumption.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, avoiding the Srirachi putting a liberal amount of hoisin sauce in my pho.

Not a strange combination, but I had a few Apple Pie McFlurrys during my short stint at McD's way back in the day. Quite tasty.

Guest Vitamin X
Fries with gravy and cheese curds.

Isn't that what they call poutines up there?

Guest The Satanic Angel

Rice, hashbrowns and bacon.

Pepsi and peanuts (I've heard that's regional, Florida)

Mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup as a single condiment. On chips, bread, fries ... (this is my brother's vice)

Fries with gravy and cheese curds.

Isn't that what they call poutines up there?

Glad someone caught it.

My gf puts French dressing on her Mashed Potatoes.

My dad put me onto jelly on bologna [edit: that meat that I've completely forgotten how to spell for some reason...lol] and/or egg sandwiches when I was little. Sounds nasty, but it's really good.

Peanut butter and onion sandwich.

Also adding maple syrup is pretty good. Any combination of the 3 on bread is pretty good, although messy.

Note: Make your onion in REALLY thin slices or in sparce diced portions.