TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

Comments that which don't warrant a thread

Guest Smues
The promotional poster for Eragon screamed Uwe Boll or Sci Fi Channel, so that's believable.

I don't know why, but everytime I see that thing the first thing my brain sees is an Asian gang, not a pasty white kid and some other ashamed actors.

Has anyone else seen that god awful Grand Theft Auto style Coke ad they play in theaters? Just terrible.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/zap-theocfinalean...0,3724323.story

FOX Beaches 'The O.C.'

Popular soap will reach its conclusion on Feb. 22

January 3, 2007

Benjamin McKenzie, 'The O.C.'

Benjamin McKenzie of 'The O.C.'

After bursting onto the scene in an inferno of hype in the summer of 2003, FOX's teen soap "The O.C." will fade quietly into the sunset this February after four eventful seasons.

FOX made the not-so-surprising announcement of the demise of "The O.C." late Wednesday (Jan. 3) afternoon. Starting this Thursday, "The O.C." will begin a stream of new episodes culminating in the series finale on Thursday, Feb. 22.

The move was hardly unexpected given that FOX only ordered 16 "O.C." episodes this season, a major dip for a series that had delivered over-sized runs of 27, 24 and 25 episodes in its first three years. In addition, FOX held "The O.C." back for a November premiere and launched it in a brutal Thursday time period opposite "Grey's Anatomy" and "CSI," two of TV's most popular shows.

The results have been easy to observe. Through its first seven Thursday airings, "The O.C." has averaged fewer than 4.06 million viewers per episode, off from last year's 5.75 million per episode. Critical raves suggesting that the show's quality was at its highest point since the first season did little to bring viewers back to the fold.

Talking to Zap2it in October, the show's creator Josh Schwartz was practical about the potential end of the show's ride.

"Obviously it's out there," Schwartz said. "Definitely when you're in this time slot and you've only been ordered for 16 episodes, you're aware that that's a possibility. Right now, we're just focused on making these 16 episode as good as we can and we'll see what happens. We'll have an answer before we're done breaking the episodes."

With that answer finally known, Schwartz seems to have shifted gears from practical to philosophical in the network statement announcing the finale.

"'The O.C.' Season Four finale will also be the series finale. This feels like the best time to bring the show to its close," Schwartz says. "Thanks to the hard work of our cast, crew and writers, we have enjoyed our best season yet, and what better time to go out than creatively on top. It has been an amazing experience and a great run. For a certain audience, at a certain time, 'The O.C.' has meant something. For that we are grateful."

There had been limited speculation about moving the series over to The CW in some modified form, but ultimately producers felt it was better to end "The O.C." on a creative high note.

In its four years, "The O.C." helped kick-start the careers of young leads Benjamin McKenzie, Adam Brody, Mischa Barton and Rachel Bilson, while introducing a whole new generation to Peter Gallagher and his eyebrows. The show won Teen Choice Awards by the barrel, was nominated for a Television Critics Association award for outstanding new show and even earned Schwartz a Writers Guild of America nod for scripting the pilot.

Has anyone here seen David Lynch's new movie Inland Empire? It isn't coming anywhere near me, and while I love Lynch, I'm a little weary about this one (it's supposed to be 3-hours long.)

Is it any good?

I figured the Season 3 debacle would cripple The O.C fanbase, which is a shame since season 4 has been the best since the first seaason. It's for the best anyways. They never had a chance to coming close to the first season and despite the shot of life that Autumn Reese injected, it wasn't going to be enough.

I never got why FOX placed one of its hottest shows at such a deathly timeslot. It's not like the Wednesday shows were doing much better.

I'm glad it won't be hanging around too long like 90210 did. Now comes the question that usually follows the end of most trendy teen shows...

Who will be the breakout? People once assumed Barton was the obvious but I'm looking at Benjamin McKenzie to fill that spot, if anyone.

Has anyone here seen David Lynch's new movie Inland Empire? It isn't coming anywhere near me, and while I love Lynch, I'm a little weary about this one (it's supposed to be 3-hours long.)

Is it any good?

They made a movie about the IE?

Guest Dirty Killingsocks

Is it any good?

Haven't seen it, but I really want to. Lynch even began filming this one without a script. He wrote each scene just before shooting it. Awesome. DVD comes out in June.

Apparently it is back to his older nuts stuff, which is a big plus for me. I'll definately be renting it or waiting for IFC to show it. Either way, from what I have heard, it is well worth the time.

This is pretty cool. Charlie rose interviewing Guillermo Del Toro, Alfonso Cuaron and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu about Pan's Labyrinth, Children of Men, and Babel.

Eragon sucked and certainly does not deserve its own thread, so I'll post here. The pacing was terrible, the script was weak, and the acting was pathetic. Jeremy Irons was the only one worth watching,

so of course he died. Which I called way early on, he had Obi-Wan written all over him

. And dear god thank you that John Malkovic only had like 30 seconds of dialogue, because he was just awful. All I could think of was "I put the, beats, in my own, script, and I'm, sticking, with them!"

The book was terrible so I wouldn't expect any more from the theatrical adaptation. I couldn't even bring myself to read the second book in the series, Tempest, because I couldn't suffer through any more of Tolkein/Rowling light.

I love Jerry Springer.

They had an episode today with this homeless black guy who had been in and out of jail three times and not seen his family in nine years. He had a great exchange with Steve the security guard who was guest hosting.

Steve: "Don't you ever dream about a better life? Waking up in your own bed in your own house?"

Homeless guy: "Man the only thing I worry about is that someone don't throw a brick at my head when I'm tryin' to sleep."

Napoleon Dynamite might be the worst movie I've ever watched at least 20 minutes of. How can people think that this steaming turd was "hilarious"?

Napoleon Dynamite might be the worst movie I've ever watched at least 20 minutes of. How can people think that this steaming turd was "hilarious"?

I dunno. I like it, it's hard to explain. It's one of those polarizing movies. You're either with it or against it.

I'll use an old Roger Ebert quote about comedy in lieu of having anything interesting to say

I cannot explain it. I can only laugh at it, and quote Gene Siskel, who liked to say, ''Two things are not debatable: eroticism, and comedy. If you don't think it's sexy, or funny, there's no way I can change your mind.''

Is anyone else having problem visiting IMDB.com ? Whenever I try to go there, the page takes forever to load, it's been like that for a week.

Is anyone else having problem visiting IMDB.com ? Whenever I try to go there, the page takes forever to load, it's been like that for a week.

It's the ads, when they load the page goes fine. But the ads for some reason are being extremely slow to load on there and it causes the page to slow to a crawl. I really don't get it honestly.

I bought and watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning recently, and here's my thoughts.

It does get a few things right. It works better than the remake, because it manages to get the family asthetic that said remake was missing. Also, it manages to bring in some dark humor, which was in the original, and missing in the remake, therefore managing to actually successfully get that aspect right. Also, the acting is strong, especially R. Lee Ermy as Sheriif Hoyt, who steals the show (unsuprisingly) and Marietta Marich as Luda May.

Now for the bad

Its not scary. Sure, its gorier than the remake, and theres the requisite torture, but there's no scares. The director seems to think that adding on torture after torture, and gory setpieces will make it scary, but it doesn't. If anything, it begins to feel repetative.

Hoyt, while a great character, should not be the main villain. The villain who deserves the most focus it Leatherface, and he just feels like a supporting character. Also, the explanations of Leatherface's origin are...poor, to say the least. It feels less like the beginning, and more like the same story we've seen before. Oh, and making Hoyt a sexual pervert really doesn't work either, and the one aspect of the character that should have been left out.

Finally, the subplot involving Vietnam and the draft dodging brother is the weakest element. It feels like the director and writers were trying to make some sort of statement, but the subplot just slows the movie down-until Hoyt comes into play, and makes it interesting-and is underwritten and dull.

All in all, its not good, but its not a total disaster. I'd give it 5.5/10 or 6/10.

Man oh man. I was just flipping through the 12 HBOs (14 if you count the ones en Espanol) and on the West Coast feed of HBO Comedy, I happened to catch this Billy Crystal comedy special from 1986. The second half of the special where Crystal did standup was OK ( I could really go either way with his standup), but the first half of the special was comic gold. It had Eugene Levy, Christopher Guest (playing a character remarkably similar to Corky St. Clair from Waiting For Guffman) and Rob Reiner (Playing Marty DiBergi) and Crystal playing Sammy Davis Jr, Buddy Young Jr, Fernando Lamas. They're all in Crystal's mansion trying to come up with material for the special. If you're a fan of Christopher Guest movies or Billy Crystal, you owe it to yourself to see this if you haven't already.

It's replaying on HBO Comedy on Tuesday at 10:55 A.M. And if you want to see this, tape it because it's not on DVD and it's OOP on VHS.

saw the Richard Donner cut of Superman II today. In general it was very strong, the material treated more seriously.

Margot Kidder is way WAY better looking in some of the Donner scenes, particularly the one at the office to open the film proper, and the "screen test" footage where she shoots Clark/Superman.

Marlon Brando scenes were also really good, and the whole thing with his powers returning actually makes a little bit of sense (for those unaware, basically the spirit/remnant of Jor-El from the crystal uses all "his" last energy to restore Superman's powers, but the trade-off is that Superman can never talk to spirit Jor-El again - he's gone forever).

However, the whole thing almost falls apart in the last 10 minutes because they apparnetly didn't have the right footage shot? The world spinning thing was just retarded, even moreso than in part 1, and even more retarded is that the whole movie never happened, and triply retarded, AFTER the whole movie gets reset, Clark still goes to beat up the trucker in the diner. Err. There's a bit of a logic gap there.

I think General Zod suffers a little bit, he's not quite as charismatic here as in the lester cut. Ursa seems to have more of a personality.

I give it a B but they shoulda made an executive decision about the ending or something, or maybe even ended it with Lois knowing. All I know is the end of this cut was just retarded.

Can I make a contentious statement?

Goodfellas is a terrible, terrible movie.

Reasons:

1. Ray Liotta. Terrible actor, painfully transperant and self conscious charactor development, and written to be sympathetic to an artificial degree.

2. DeNiro and Pesci. Two good actors basically spending the whole movie reminding us who they are instead of acting.

3. Direction. I never really like Scorscese anyways, but the over the top machismo and semen slinging here was intolerable to a new level. Goodfellas is the Kill Bill of the nineties, only worse, because it thinks it isn't.

Can I make a contentious statement?

Goodfellas is a terrible, terrible movie.

Reasons:

1. Ray Liotta. Terrible actor, painfully transperant and self conscious charactor development, and written to be sympathetic to an artificial degree.

2. DeNiro and Pesci. Two good actors basically spending the whole movie reminding us who they are instead of acting.

3. Direction. I never really like Scorscese anyways, but the over the top machismo and semen slinging here was intolerable to a new level. Goodfellas is the Kill Bill of the nineties, only worse, because it thinks it isn't.

u mad nigga

"Reminding us who they are instead of acting"? What does that even mean?

Pesci's Tommy is one of the greatest supporting characters in American movie history. There, I said it.

It means their performances are reduced to a series of mannerisms and facial tics. Not once during the movie could I suspend disbelief. I was always aware that I was watching Joe Pesci and Robert DeNiro.

Pesci's Tommy is one of the greatest supporting characters in American movie history.

He's hardly a character at all.