TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TysonTomko420

Comments which don't warrant a thread

They gave A-Train a push against Edge and 99% of people were up in arms over it.

Hindsight is a fabulous thing.

Agreed there. Didn't he put Mysterio out of action in kayfabe? I don't remember anyone fondly comparing A-Train to Vader then.

Shows how much they've devalued those titles then.

What's to devalue?

I don't even remember the last time the tag team titles meant anything in WWE.

when's the last time a real tag team held them, and I'm not counting the Spirit Squad...hell, didn't they win them from a non-tag team? Who did RKO win them from, I can't even remember?

EDIT: I stopped being lazy and looked it up, RKO won them from Piper and Flair, another non-team.

The last real team to hold them was Cade and Murdoch back in 2005...2005! They lost to non-team Big Show and Kane.

Well at least Smackdown is doing it right.

I guess what I'm wondering is, if you have upper and upper midcarders having nothing to do so they get the tag titles, why not switch them to other brands?

science.jpg

WWE.com was able to snap two shots before a “police” officer came speeding around the bend on a ten-speed bicycle and shiny helmet informing the SmackDown Superstars they were treading on “sacred and private property.” “We’ll leave,” said Paul, “Just do Brian and I one favor, don’t tell Xenu about this, we have a match to win tomorrow.”

That's pretty unfair to not count the Spirit Squad - they were a cohesive unit.

yeah but I hated that whole Freebird rule, plus it felt like all they did was fight the non-teams.

They gave A-Train a push against Edge and 99% of people were up in arms over it.

Agreed there. Didn't he put Mysterio out of action in kayfabe? I don't remember anyone fondly comparing A-Train to Vader then.

Well when the only reason your given to dislike a guy is his back hair......his WWE look wasn't good. I've noticed he ditched the hair for Japan.

The reason people got up in arms about him facing Edge was it was suppose to be Matt Hardy who everyone knew could work good matches with Edge and the Albert Edge matches tanked.

Here is some more news regarding Mistico and the WWE, this is taken from a blog that is in english seeing as I don't speak spanish...

Mistico will be getting a WWE tryout during the California swing over the next two weeks. I'm not sure of the date or dates but it is happening soon, and with TV in Bakersfield and San Diego, it could be this week.

- Dave Meltzer

Let's take a moment to note Super Luchas had this right (though we're still waiting for 3 more - maybe the tryout will be tag matches!) and Ovaciones had this wrong. I wonder if CMLL lied, or just didn't know.

WWE in Cali dates:

02/19 - Bakersfield, CA

02/20 - San Diego (with a scheduled Rey Misterio appearance - talk about your photo ops)

02/26 - Fresno, CA

02/27 - San Jose, CA

Mistico's booked on 02/19 in Pubela (teaming with La Mascara and Volador Jr. vs Averno, Efesto, Mephisto), so maybe it'll be next week? Puebla's gotten too many noshows lately that they may not want to do a big one, but I don't really know.

There's a very slight chance this could make TV, but WWE typically runs a dark match before it starts it's B-Show tapings, and the tryouts always happen in that dark match.

I don't know. We were discussing this same thing one year ago this time, and nothing came of it. (And until Mistico is in a WWE ring, I'm always going to have trouble believing it.) I presume Mistico's role to be cruiserweight babyface. If he was an instant hit and things got sorted out quick, he could even debut on WrestleMania winning that belt, but that may be pushing it and perhaps one step beyond best case scenario.

There's a lot of questions about how Mistico would adapt to WWE style and WWE rings (and, by the size of Super Crazy lately, WWE free lunch buffets!) Will they have him keep his mask? They've had success with Rey masked, but haven't succeeded with anyone else. (Ultimo Dragon failed because they didn't were expecting him to be a Rey clone; Mistico would be better at that.) Without knowing who in the company wants to bring him in and why, it's tough to correctly guess how he'll be used. We also don't know who actually owns the gimmick or what Mistico's contract status is.

If you're the conspiracy type, you may note how the Reyes de Aire happened a lot sooner than usual - as if CMLL knew they might be losing one it's top small tecnico highflier and decided they needed to get serious about creating another one ASAP. If a card juggles so Averno & Mephisto are in position to pick up the tag team titles, then we know for sure.

My feeling is Mistico has worked very hard and very often for the last 3 years, and as a guy who came to CMLL with no name value and no leverage, he probably isn't getting paid as much as he might deserve. Everyone who's good at what they do deserves a chance to extract as much as they can out of it; even if he doesn't sign with WWE, just the possiblity that he could've is going to help him. And if he ends up with a contract that has him working 3-4 times a week, rather than 3-4 times on some days, that's going to be pretty good for him. I have reservations about how well this is going to work, but Mistico's deserving of the chance.

Update:

I'm not sure regarding the status of Mistico coming to a WWE TV taping over the next two weeks. Seems CMLL is extremely unhappy about this and is putting the pressure heavy on Mistico not to come.

- Meltzer, today.

Swear to god, when this story comes up again (and it surely will), it's getting one sentence and no more until Mistico's actually in a WWE ring.

Plus, although they have kinda kept it secret, Mistico is part of the Salazar family, which is a big wrestling family down there. CMLL employs a number of Salazars, so apparently CMLL is putting pressure on the family for him to stay. Some interpretations of that are that CMLL will fire all the Salazars if Mistico leaves.

In addition, I think it is on 3/16 that CMLL and WWE are going head-to head in Mexico City. I believe the planned main event for CMLL is Mistico vs Perrito Aguayo in a mask vs hair match. That is a match that should draw HUGE, and last time thru Mexico houses were down for WWE, and this time they dont have Rey Jr able to work. If WWE is planning on running more Mexican tours or expanding them, I can see them wanting to get Mistico under wraps before 3/16 so he can work the tour, and to fuck over CMLL.

Lot's of weird shit coming out of that........putting pressure on a guy to not take a tryout by threatening to fire his family members is pretty fucked up.

The Spirit Squad could've been considered legitimate, but they were always booked like losers and were HBK and HHH's bitches for months on end. The Freebird rule didn't hurt them, since they were booked to be interchangable heels.

It seems like the RAW tag titles have basically been used to advance main event level feuds, or given to a couple guys with nothing to do for the last few years. How many times have we seen the "whacky can't get along tag champs" thing on RAW? Smackdown's tag division, on the other hand, has been filled out with real teams, and the focus has been on solid wrestling and title defenses.

I think it's fine to have those differences, as long as WWE sticks to them. They can't have it both ways on both shows.

I think the main reason for the backlash was that the push came at the expense of Matt Hardy, who was really starting to get over at the time. Also, a lot of that had to do with the way A-Train was presented. Like he'd spend all this time doing nothing on Heat and Velocity and about every six months or so WWE'd get this sudden urge to try to shoot him to the top of the card with the thought that the fans would take to him just because he's big. His pushes usually came off as half-assed and forced on TV and were usually forgotten about 3 or 4 months down the line, and then they wonder why people could never get excited about him.

I've been fan of Albert's since the T&A days and I'm pleased that he's doing well in Japan.

Also, a lot of that had to do with the way A-Train was presented. Like he'd spend all this time doing nothing on Heat and Velocity and about every six months or so WWE'd get this sudden urge to try to shoot him to the top of the card with the thought that the fans would take to him just because he's big. His pushes usually came off as half-assed and forced on TV and were usually forgotten about 3 or 4 months down the line, and then they wonder why people could never get excited about him.

Bingo. You really got it there...basically they'd re-push him whenever they needed a monster for someone to feud with. Other than that, he was an afterthought.

I don't think it's anything to be sad about, really though. He had a close to five year run in WWF/WWE, and had some success. If he's doing even better in Japan, good for him.

science.jpg

WWE.com was able to snap two shots before a “police” officer came speeding around the bend on a ten-speed bicycle and shiny helmet informing the SmackDown Superstars they were treading on “sacred and private property.” “We’ll leave,” said Paul, “Just do Brian and I one favor, don’t tell Xenu about this, we have a match to win tomorrow.”

I liked this pic better:

vivid.jpg

Didn't Albert have a number of pretty solid matches with Kurt Angle and/or Chris Benoit? That's about the time that I really started to become a fan of the guy...and then WWE released him.

Didn't Albert have a number of pretty solid matches with Kurt Angle and/or Chris Benoit? That's about the time that I really started to become a fan of the guy...and then WWE released him.

Yeah, Albert could definitely have a good match with the right opponent. He and Benoit had a pretty good series on Smackdown at one point.

Guest Johnny B Radd

Some news on Backlash 2007 from PWI

Richard Coogan sent this. ... I've been sent the Backlash information (which will probably go to cable providers) this is 2 months before PPV show time, and strangely before I have been sent Wrestlemania info. Anyway it reads: "Rivalry and rage explode in controversy as ECW and Smackdown join RAW at Backlash. Catch the intensity as John Cena, Batista, Undertaker, RVD, and Lashley face the consequences of their actions from WrestleMania."

science.jpg

I wonder if this means that "The Mothership" is gonna sue WWE in a European court

If You Weeeeeel...!

The guys at PWInsider are saying that the entire Jillian Hill gimmick is indeed an attempt to mock Hulk Hogan's daughter, Brooke.

Some news on Backlash 2007 from PWI

Richard Coogan sent this. ... I've been sent the Backlash information (which will probably go to cable providers) this is 2 months before PPV show time, and strangely before I have been sent Wrestlemania info. Anyway it reads: "Rivalry and rage explode in controversy as ECW and Smackdown join RAW at Backlash. Catch the intensity as John Cena, Batista, Undertaker, RVD, and Lashley face the consequences of their actions from WrestleMania."

Notice that HBK is not listed there.

A-Train was one of three wrestlers I've been up close to. The man is huge and could be used as a good means of shade by normal sized people.

I've also been around Kane and D-Von. D-Von was a prick.

Knowing WWE they'll call Mistico "El Burrito," have him in gardening gear and riding to the ring on a lawnmower. Oh, and his moveset will consist of one tope per five matches, one rana per match and a bunch of restholds.

You mean that was already done with Juvi, Psicosis and Super Crazy? Gotcha.