Detroit at St. Louis

Cleveland at Oakland

Jacksonville at Washington

New England at Cincinnati

Seattle at Chicago

Green Bay at Philadelphia

BYE WEEK: Denver, N.Y. Giants, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay

Some interesting notes:

- Kurt Warner will remain starting QB for the Cardinals this week in Atlanta according to head coach Dennis Green

- Jeff Fisher is sticking with Kerry Collins as QB on Sunday against Dallas

- Tennessee Titans will retire Warren Moon's #1 on Sunday

- QB Bruce Gradkowski will start for Tampa Bay

- Shaun Alexander is out a couple of weeks with a broken foot.

- Reuben Droughns will return on to the Cleveland back field on Sunday

I'll post my thoughts about this upcoming week in a few miniutes.

EDIT FROM ANDY O

Here are the coverage maps for the games:

CBS 1:00

04-CBS-E.gif

CBS 4:15

04-CBS-L.gif

FOX

04-FOX.gif

Tennessee putting Vince Young in there right now would be dumb, dumb, dumb. They're going up against good teams in the next few weeks that are going to blow them out regardless of who's under center...why expose a rookie QB to that, and possibly shatter his confidence, when you can let a veteran take the pounding?

My thoughts

- Bears will have a real chance to showcase that they are among the elite in the NFL, against the Seahawks. But with Alexander out, would I don't think it would really mean that much.

- I have no clue why Jon Gruden would start a rookie QB over a servicable back up in Tim Rattay. He is a decent enought QB.

- San Diego at Baltimore is an interesting game, I think that Baltimore will come into home wanting to prove somthing after their mediorce showing against the Browns

-

Redskins vs. Jags....

Redskins offense looked entirely different with Portis playing, of course it was the Titans.

Jags bring a good D, but have their own problems with scoring as well.

Washington at home takes this one.

Redskins 24

Jags 13

Just for fun I'll make my ill-informed idiotic predictions.

Arizona at Atlanta

Dallas at Tennessee

Indianapolis at NY Jets

Miami at Houston

Minnesota at Buffalo

New Orleans at Carolina

San Diego at Baltimore

San Francisco at Kansas City

Detroit at St. Louis

Cleveland at Oakland

Jacksonville at Washington

New England at Cincinnati

Seattle at Chicago

Green Bay at Philadelphia

I am glad to see that the Titans are finally going to retire Warren Moon's number. I just can't believe it has taken them this long to do so.

Ah crap, I meant to start this thread myself. Anyway here's my predictions with thoughts:

Arizona at Atlanta: I doubt Atlanta will have two lousy efforts in a row, especially vs. the Cardinals. Falcons by 10.

Dallas at Tennessee: Titans are one of the worst teams in the league. Dallas should have a reasonably easy win by about 14.

Indianapolis at NY Jets: Jets have been somewhat better than expected but even at home they aren't winning this. Colts by 17.

Miami at Houston: Oh God, what is THIS? I'll go along with razazteca and say the Texans pick up their first win in an epic 13-10 affair.

Minnesota at Buffalo: Bills are actually favored here, but I think the Vikings are the better team. Minnesota will get the road win by 6.

New Orleans at Carolina: Saints could really prove something by winning a tough one on the road, but I doubt they will get this one done even though they seem to have the Panthers' number sometimes. Panthers by 7.

San Diego at Baltimore: One of the better games of the day. Both teams have great defense, but I think the Chargers are better offensively so I'll take them by 7.

San Francisco at Kansas City: Hard to see the Chiefs losing two at home this soon. I'll take KC by 4, something like 21-17.

Detroit at St. Louis: The Rams would have to be ultra jobbers to lose this one at home. STL by 9.

Cleveland at Oakland: This has to be a sick joke, right? I'll go with the Browns here, at least in 2 of their losses they have been competitive. Cleveland by 3, something like 10-7.

Jacksonville at Washington: Very interesting game. I'm not sure if the Skins are any good exactly, but I'll take them at home by 3. JAX is perhaps better playing as a pissed off underdog than they are as a favorite.

New England at Cincinnati: I could be wrong but I think this one could get really ugly for Brady and Co. Cincy by 21, something like 31-10.

Seattle at Chicago: I maintain that Seattle cannot beat a solid opponent on the road (they didn't last year, though no one noticed). Bears will shut them down minus Alexander and win 21-13.

Green Bay at Philadelphia: GB finally picked up a win but I can't see them winning in Philly. Eagles by 10.

I'm very happy to be able to see the NE/Cincy game.

All I can hope for on Monday Night is that Favre gets a couple touchdowns closer to Dan Marino. 420, dude.

I'll just throw this out there for discussion. Last week on the Herd, Colin made a bet with his fellow workers. If the Raiders win one game the entire season, he flies all of them to Vegas, expenses paid. That's a hell of a bet right there. I forgot what he gets, but that's not the point. The point is... does anyone see the Raiders getting a win ANYTIME this season? They have a shot against Cleveland, but I don't think that will pan out for them. They've just been BRUTAL these first two games.

I think their only game that is anything close to a sure thing for them is home against the Texans in Week 13, although they do have games against Denver, Kansas City and San Diego before that (the latter two on the road).

I think 0-16 isn't unreasonable to predict at all. Art Shell coaches like he just crawled out of a time capsule from the 80s.

So was Super Bowl XXXVII an abhorration or what? Both teams (Oakland and Tampa) just went into the shitter after that game.

Guest Felonies!
I think their only game that is anything close to a sure thing for them is home against the Texans in Week 13, although they do have games against Denver, Kansas City and San Diego before that (the latter two on the road).

I think 0-16 isn't unreasonable to predict at all. Art Shell coaches like he just crawled out of a time capsule from the 80s.

So was Super Bowl XXXVII an abhorration or what? Both teams (Oakland and Tampa) just went into the shitter after that game.

Well I know Tampa lost Warren Sapp, but I don't know what happened to the Raiders. It's pathetic that they got this bad, though. 49ers, too. It'd be better for the league to have the Raiders as a powerhouse in the AFC than another year of the Jacksonville Jaguars playing competent football, stringing together 11 or 12 wins and doing jack shit. I know the NFL is the league in which it matters the least as to who does well, but still. This really scuttles the whole mystique of the Oakland Raiders.

EDIT: Likewise for the NFC. If the Seahawks did everything that they did in red and gold, people would actually give a fuck about them going to the Super Bowl.

Guest Vitamin X

Well I know Tampa lost Warren Sapp, but I don't know what happened to the Raiders. It's pathetic that they got this bad, though. 49ers, too. It'd be better for the league to have the Raiders as a powerhouse in the AFC than another year of the Jacksonville Jaguars playing competent football, stringing together 11 or 12 wins and doing jack shit. I know the NFL is the league in which it matters the least as to who does well, but still. This really scuttles the whole mystique of the Oakland Raiders.

EDIT: Likewise for the NFC. If the Seahawks did everything that they did in red and gold, people would actually give a fuck about them going to the Super Bowl.

What happened to the Raiders is that their window of opportunity for a championship was slammed shut, and that Bill Callahan is an awful coach who lucked out by having an amazing amount of veteran talent on his own. With that said, they were too old to continue, most of them retired, were cut/went into free agency, or ran down to Mexico on an insane rampage and never came back. They didn't succeed with Norv Turner, a mediocre coach, and Art Shell needs to get updated to 2006 still, like Joe Gibbs did in his first season back with the Redskins. They also haven't really drafted well, and other division leaders got better in the meantime, most notably the Chargers, who were the laughing stock of the league during the Raiders' run. (they had like 3 straight AFC Championship or divisional losses beforehand, including the infamous "Tuck Rule" game in 2001 that started the Pats dynasty)

Tampa's sucking isn't due to Warren Sapp, either. Gruden won the Super Bowl with Dungy's team (and Dungy continues to prove that he can't win the big one with some great talent in Indy), and afterwards the players were cut/left in free agency, or were traded. Letting John Lynch go was pretty stupid, and even in their Super Bowl year they didn't have a featured quarterback or running back, as they had let Warrick Dunn go to the Falcons, Alstott got fat and slow, and noone until Cadillac Williams was anything but a backup halfback, at best. They also completely revamped their offensive line, and have had little luck with finding a decent receiver after they dumped Keyshawn for Galloway.

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports Tennessee Titans QB Vince Young will start during Week 4 despite the team previously stating they were sticking with QB Kerry Collins. Young, the team's first-round draft choice in this year's NFL Draft, has appeared in two games this year for the 0-3 Titans. This will be Young's first NFL start.

So for everyone who can't wait to see Young start, you are gonna see him start this week.

Vince Young was pretty exciting during the Jets game...until he threw a terrible pass that got picked off. Still, for about five plays, he was worlds better than Kerry Collins.

Amazingly enough, I'm getting the Jets locally this week. My excitement is tempered somewhat by the fact that they're playing the Colts, but still, pretty cool.

Vince Young was pretty exciting during the Jets game...until he threw a terrible pass that got picked off. Still, for about five plays, he was worlds better than Kerry Collins.

It's not hard to top that... unless your name is Aaron Brooks.

Guest Vitamin X

From an article regarding the Cardinals' QB controversy:

While an admittedly impatient Green may have been ready to bench Warner in the immediate aftermath of the quarterback's mistake-filled game against St. Louis, the coach had thought better of it by Tuesday.

"I can be emotional, but not in my decision-making," Green said after Wednesday's practice. "I've got too much experience for that. So I felt that Kurt Warner is still the right guy and the best guy. I think he's the best quarterback on this team."

Damn Matt Leinart, you got dissed. My grandma could make better decisions and move about quicker in the pocket than Warner can at this point. She's also senile, and uses a walker. So yeah. Dissed.

Although Lienart is the future, I am glad that Green is actually holding back on him starting. It is too early to push the panic button.