TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

Worked Angles...

How about Booker T and Batista getting into a fight at a commercial shoot? I'm still not sure if that is a worked shoot or a shoot that looked worked.

For some reason I bought it when Scott Steiner said he had a messed up back and had to retire.

I've always hated works involving crippling injuries, it seems in poor taste. Some guys really do suffer from career ending injuries, it doesn't seem like the kind of thing to make light of.

I do recall them exaggerating the number of Marines that were there.

I remember the number increasing every time they talked about it:

Week 1: "Shawn Michaels was attaked by about 50 marines"

Weeks 2: :Shawn Michaels was attaked by about 80 marines"

Weeks 3: "Shawn Michaels was attaked by hundreds and hundreds of marines"

No, they called the Marines "thugs", to make it seem more sadistic that Shawn Michaels was ATTACKED!!

No one has mentioned Sid snapping on Shawn the night after WrestleMania 11. While it didn't fool anyone, I was on edge all week wondering what happened, since they went to commerical with Sid yelling at Shawn, then came back with Shawn layed out on the mat, Diesel comes in to make the save, and the show ends.

Ummm...trying to think...damn, this one's embarassing...

I actually bought - hook, line, and sinker - Goldberg "walking out" on the Triple Threat match at New Blood Rising. Goldberg vs. Nash vs. Steiner. Nash has Goldberg ready for the Jacknife, then Goldberg pulls himself out, tells Nash to go fuck himself, and walks out. I was like "wow, that's fucking unprofessional, and I hope he's suspended." Then I read it was a work and felt like an ass.

I actually bought - hook, line, and sinker - Goldberg "walking out" on the Triple Threat match at New Blood Rising. Goldberg vs. Nash vs. Steiner. Nash has Goldberg ready for the Jacknife, then Goldberg pulls himself out, tells Nash to go fuck himself, and walks out. I was like "wow, that's fucking unprofessional, and I hope he's suspended." Then I read it was a work and felt like an ass.

Wasn't that the one where Schiavone then yelled something like "Now they'll have to improvise a new finish"?

Wasn't that the one where Schiavone then yelled something like "Now they'll have to improvise a new finish"?

damn russo , so stupid considering right after that match the announcers went back into kayfabe mode for the booker t-Jarrett main event

I bought into the scott steiner retirement too cuz that rumor had been on the net for days. then i knew it was a work when the nWo interrupted him and I was like "SWEREVE BITCHES"

Just about everything Pillman did in '96 had me wondering what was real or what was fake. Or was that late 95 when he was working everyone in WCW/ECW?

Okay this is from ROH but it was done really well.

When Low-Ki soccer kicked one of the Briscoes after the match, and a riot erupted.

I thought Joe was really coming out to kick Low-Ki's ass and then all hell broke loose.

I think if it wasn't for the internet and knowing about it, the Hardy/Edge/Lita thing was done really well the first night Hardy came back. If only they didn't show Hardy backstage, and let him talk on the Mic.

Ric Flair and the Horsemen beating the hell out of Dusty Rhodes outside the parking lot of Jim Crockett Promotions offices. My friends and I went nuts to see Ole and Arn Anderson tying Rhodes to his pick-up truck and then smashing his hand.

I remember Dusty Rhodes beating the hell out of Tully Blandard with a baseball bat in the parking lot.

When Ric Flair suffered a "heart attack" on an episode of Nitro in 98 / 99?

Yeah that one really got to me. Cause I'm sure when Ric gives one of those interviews you think he's going to have a heart attack at any minute.

I thought Sting was really stuck in the White Castle of Fear. Sting and his WCW camera man.

I don't think anything post 1990 has ever worked me, and i was born in 81.

I was fooled by several of Mick Foley's matches.

First- I thought it was a legit stretcher job when Vader powerbombed him on the floor.

Second- I would say I half believed that the match was over when he was thrown off the cage since it such a dangerous fall to take.

Third- This one is embarassing now but I thought the Rock was shooting on foley in the rumble match with the way he was swinging those chairs.

I am glad I wasn't the only one fooled by the Flair heart attack angle.

Also, while I didn't think it was real, I was in shock watching the Jake/Savage snake angle on tv. That was some pretty over the top stuff for 1991.

You're certainly not alone on Savage being bit by Damien. I was fascinated by snakes and all reptiles as a kid (still am today). That peak was at its highest in Grade 2, which was 91-92(the same time, of course, as the angle). I read about how deadly rattlesnakes and cobras could be like three days before the bite (just a coincidence, but it still terrified me).

I think WCW realized the heart attack angle sucked as well. That's probably why they eventually came up with "No, Eric Bischoff poisoned him."

Me and my friends were around 11-12 years old when the nWo angle started. I was at the arena where Scott Hall debuted and we were like "WAIT THAT'S RAZOR RAMON". When Nash appeared two weeks later, I swear we all thought it was real. The nWo angle was so incredibly awesome when it started. Very, very well done. We were flipping the fuck out when they attacked Bischoff and Nash powerbombed him through that stage. That was unreal for 1996.

Guest Guerrero81

Very good topic. I think another interesting topic would be incidences where you thought something was a work only for it to be actually real.

Personally, I thought Shawn Michaels vs Owen Hart was top of the line as far as works go. The doctor analyzing Michaels' post concussion syndrome was truly convincing. I still don't know how legit the doctor was in talking there. Half shoot? Full? Three quarters?

Does anyone remember Vince putting everyone on a guilt trip for pushing the WWF superstars too hard in a video they were playing back than? Sure, a good deal of what Vince was saying was true, but the incident that was behind the inspiration for the video was a kayfabe one.

Does anyone remember Vince putting everyone on a guilt trip for pushing the WWF superstars too hard in a video they were playing back than? Sure, a good deal of what Vince was saying was true, but the incident that was behind the inspiration for the video was a kayfabe one.

Whaaaaa? Go on...

Guest Guerrero81

Whaaaaa? Go on...

I have it on tape somewhere but it'd be impossible to find as it's on one of those unmarked ones. So I will try to remember what I can. It was a video that was airing on some of their different shows.

Vince goes on about the Shawn Michaels incident and basically says the fans expectations can be too high and/or and this can cause the superstars to fly higher/try harder/up the ante....etc. There's a line about the fans thinking the wrestlers are superhuman/heros and that we can forget they are human just like the rest of us mere mortals. The Shawn Michaels incident reminds us of that. In the video, I remember clips of Hakushi doing an awesome Asai moonsault to the outside and Bret Hart holding up the world heavyweight title.

In actuality, I'm making it sound worse than it is. In my opinion, it was a great and smart video that would only help the WWF in making their fans like them even more by playing with their emotions. Though there could be negative effects from it as well. It's just that it was a serious piece built off of something that we now know was partially kayfabe. It would work better if they used a legit incident as the motivation for making the video.

You're certainly not alone on Savage being bit by Damien. I was fascinated by snakes and all reptiles as a kid (still am today). That peak was at its highest in Grade 2, which was 91-92(the same time, of course, as the angle). I read about how deadly rattlesnakes and cobras could be like three days before the bite (just a coincidence, but it still terrified me).

That one really had me fooled. I figured it was a work after nothing was really mentioned of it on the news (yeah, I was young). Anyway, how did they work the snake bite? If you tell me it was a fake snake I'll feel really stupid.

EDIT: Wikipedia says it was devenomed.

That one really had me fooled. I figured it was a work after nothing was really mentioned of it on the news (yeah, I was young). Anyway, how did they work the snake bite? If you tell me it was a fake snake I'll feel really stupid.

EDIT: Wikipedia says it was devenomed.

yea so that crazy Randy Savage agreed to get bit by a snake wow. I remember the incident well and it scare dthe crap out of me, I thought Randy was going to die from the "poison"

I started watching in November 98 (my first match was DDP/Goldberg on Nitro the night after HH 98, when the show ran too long) so excuse my markism...then proceed to laugh.

- British Bulldog giving Stephanie McMahon amnesia

- Triple H being bit by the snake

- I really thought Stone Cold owned the WWF

- Scott Steiner retirement

- Ric Flair heart attack

- I really thought Ric Flair was taking over WCW when he beat Bischoff on Nitro and everybody interfered. I went and played Nitro on PSX after Nitro went off that night

- I thought Stone Cold killed Taker when he hit him with that shovel on RAW...and then when he dropped Paul Bearer in the sewer....

- I always wondered why people kept trying to take Kane away

- When The Corporation beat HBK's ass and put his face thru that windshield...consider me in awe

- I thought Big Show was really pulling down the Titantron

Now that admissions of equal or greater embarrasment have been revealed:

I really thought Chyna was being arrested when the cops took her away in late 98 for "failing to appear at a court date".