TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Playoffs 2007: Conference Semifinals

What took Scott Skiles 4 games to move Hinrich over to Billups? REALLY?

I said it after game one, it was a waste of a defender to put your best perimeter defender on a guy who's offesnive game is running off screens. Ben Gordon and THABO~! can do that. This will leave your point guard more rested on the offensive end and disrupt the guy that makes things go on the defensive end. Seems like the obvious option there.

How wouldn't the Jazz stand a chance against the Suns when they've had their number the last two years and the Suns are basically a slightly better version of the Warriors? They play a style very condusive to being exploited by a team like Utah.

Except the Suns have two big guys that can defend the paint, get rebounds, and they make better decisions on offense. Not that Utah couldn't play them tough or possibly beat them, but they certainly wouldn't manhandle them like GS. Their biggest advantage over the Suns is a deep bench.

Of course, I don't see any advantage Utah has over San Antonio, so Phoenix is definitely the matchup they want.

Charles Barkley was only making those comments because he had shown over the course of his career that he could not control his behavior, and that others who also can't control their behavior should not be blamed for their own actions. He's full of shit on this subject. I'm not going to take the word of a man that spit on a little girl because someone was saying a few mean things to them, that's for sure.

Lost in everything is the fact that THIS IS THE RULE. It has been around for long enough for everyone to know it, it wasn't like the complaining about calls policy.

You can argue the merits of the rule, but the way the rule is written, Amare deserves his suspension. WHO GIVES A FUCK if the Suns become undermanned due to this. I could see this coming all postseason. Amare plays with such a fire that he was bound to get in trouble at some point, and he did.

As for the above post, like I said. Judgment calls SUCK.

You aren't going to find a time Charles came off the bench in a fight. He always came off and was a peacemaker. He was a hot head in the heat of battle but off the bench, he never got into a battle, so he isn't full of shit at all. Plus, Barkley hardly ever got a second tech, because he could control himself.

I understand THIS IS THE RULE. But it is being selectively enforced when the same thing happened in the SAME GAME. I ask for consistancy. If it is such a automatic rule, then were is the automatic punishment for everyone?

I can't take his word for anything regarding controlled behavior, sorry. I've seen him get into way too much trouble on the court.

As for the spitting incident, yeah he was trying to spit at her father. But, this isn't the NFL where you can likely get away with spitting on someone. I mean shit, a fan bothered you THAT BAD?

Well regardless of whether or not we can make it out of the WCF I'm happy to see the Jazz advance there for the first time since 1998. We got a break when Dallas got eliminated and were able to capitalize so now maybe we can get some magic going and advance to the finals.

I'd love to see a Bulls/Jazz Finals. It would be a rematch of 1997 in 2007.

On another note, Czech, I agree with you. I used to be obsessed with basketball growing up. I'd never miss a Bulls game, and I frequently watched other teams. Now, aside from the few Bulls games I get out here, select few marquee matchups, and the playoffs, I hardly even watch the NBA.

I don't watch as much since the Sonics ownership has been hell bent on driving away any fans they had over the past 6 or so years.

Charles Barkley was only making those comments because he had shown over the course of his career that he could not control his behavior, and that others who also can't control their behavior should not be blamed for their own actions. He's full of shit on this subject. I'm not going to take the word of a man that spit on a little girl because someone was saying a few mean things to them, that's for sure.

Lost in everything is the fact that THIS IS THE RULE. It has been around for long enough for everyone to know it, it wasn't like the complaining about calls policy.

You can argue the merits of the rule, but the way the rule is written, Amare deserves his suspension. WHO GIVES A FUCK if the Suns become undermanned due to this. I could see this coming all postseason. Amare plays with such a fire that he was bound to get in trouble at some point, and he did.

As for the above post, like I said. Judgment calls SUCK.

You aren't going to find a time Charles came off the bench in a fight. He always came off and was a peacemaker. He was a hot head in the heat of battle but off the bench, he never got into a battle, so he isn't full of shit at all. Plus, Barkley hardly ever got a second tech, because he could control himself.

I understand THIS IS THE RULE. But it is being selectively enforced when the same thing happened in the SAME GAME. I ask for consistancy. If it is such a automatic rule, then were is the automatic punishment for everyone?

I can't take his word for anything regarding controlled behavior, sorry. I've seen him get into way too much trouble on the court.

As for the spitting incident, yeah he was trying to spit at her father. But, this isn't the NFL where you can likely get away with spitting on someone. I mean shit, a fan bothered you THAT BAD?

I am interested in knowing what incidents are you talking about? Like I said, he never came off the bench throwing fist, and yeah, he spit at a fan that had been calling him a monkey and nigger all night. Not exactly "Wild and CRAZY Charles all over the court".

He didn't control his tounge off the court, but on the court, Charles was very much in control of himself. I remember the Suns/Knicks brawl where charles was one of the 3 players from either team not to get suspended.

And I am convinced that Greg Anthony would have been beaten to death that night if not for charles and Patrick Ewing. He had quite a few leaving the bench and breaking up fights incidents in his career so yeah, I think he is quite qualified to talk about how stupid of a rule the "don't leave the bench EVAR" rule is.

I know that the Suns are pretty much fucked already without Stoudemire and Diaw but it could get even worse. Imagine the lineup D'Antoni will have to come up with tonight if Thomas gets into foul trouble.

King, whatever Charles has done has nothing to do with the incident. It's stupid to say that he can't have a say in this because he did something in the past, even though you really haven't pointed out exactly what he's done. So I guess PJ Brown can shut the hell up about being a model citizen after making a mistake in flipping over Charlie Ward, and we can't listen to Kobe's opinion on being a clean player because he elbowed a few player. Who gives a shit. Charles made a good point, you can't just ignore it because you feel he has no self control, which is irrelevant in this situation.

Heck if you say that, then we shouldn't take your opinion seriously because the Suns just beat the Lakers and you're a Laker fan. Therefore your opinion is bias against them, right? Come on, you know that shouldn't be the argument.

The bullshit calls that went to the Jazz last night were too many to count. Fun game, but ridiculous home court bias by the referees.

What game were you watching? Because in the one I watched, the Warriors got nearly every call up until Jackson's flagrant foul. Some of you seriously need to lay off the Kool-Aid.

And CW is the LAST person who should talk about homerism as it regards the Suns, or any team.

The bullshit calls that went to the Jazz last night were too many to count. Fun game, but ridiculous home court bias by the referees.

What game were you watching? Because in the one I watched, the Warriors got nearly every call up until Jackson's flagrant foul. Some of you seriously need to lay off the Kool-Aid.

And CW is the LAST person who should talk about homerism as it regards the Suns, or any team.

You must have missed the rest of the post.

It's not about who you are, or who you root for, it's about your argument. And please get off your high horse. Everyone here has loyalty to every team they root for including you with the Colts and Pacers. Look at you still on Jackson's dick (not in the good way) after he got traded away from your team. Let it go.

Yeah, I guess I didn't read your post close enough. Sorry.

But seriously. How many people in this thread are really loyal towards the Suns and Warriors, besides Ripper and Bored respectively? I'm loyal towards the Pacers and Colts, yes, but I think part of being loyal is being honest. I can still admit my team's faults instead of acting like they shit roses and can do no wrong. Most of the people in this thread are letting their hatred of the Spurs fuel their opinions, and are saying a lot of things that aren't true. I've tried not to be an asshole when I can help it, but I've just been no-sold while people keep rambling with their usual bullshit.

If you guys have ESPNNEWS, they're going to replay an interview between Dan Patrick and David Stern that took place on ESPN Radio today. It's a good listen.

King, whatever Charles has done has nothing to do with the incident. It's stupid to say that he can't have a say in this because he did something in the past, even though you really haven't pointed out exactly what he's done. So I guess PJ Brown can shut the hell up about being a model citizen after making a mistake in flipping over Charlie Ward, and we can't listen to Kobe's opinion on being a clean player because he elbowed a few player. Who gives a shit. Charles made a good point, you can't just ignore it because you feel he has no self control, which is irrelevant in this situation.

Heck if you say that, then we shouldn't take your opinion seriously because the Suns just beat the Lakers and you're a Laker fan. Therefore your opinion is bias against them, right? Come on, you know that shouldn't be the argument.

I am so biased against the Suns and Amare that I have his jersey hanging in my closet.

I have to get my cousin off the bus, so I'll only mention the Shaq fight for now. And I'd say that Kobe is most certainly NOT one to talk when it comes to elbowing players and talking about the suspension they deserve, or that they don't deserve one.

Guest Vitamin X
How wouldn't the Jazz stand a chance against the Suns when they've had their number the last two years and the Suns are basically a slightly better version of the Warriors? They play a style very condusive to being exploited by a team like Utah.

Except the Suns have two big guys that can defend the paint, get rebounds, and they make better decisions on offense. Not that Utah couldn't play them tough or possibly beat them, but they certainly wouldn't manhandle them like GS. Their biggest advantage over the Suns is a deep bench.

Of course, I don't see any advantage Utah has over San Antonio, so Phoenix is definitely the matchup they want.

Also, Golden State was a young and hot-headed team that barely snuck in to the playoffs on the last day of the regular season- And still had 2-3 VERY winnable games against Utah, who by all accounts should have completely dominated the paint (Golden State figured that whole offensive game plan out too late, as they forced Utah to try to make outside shots only in the waning minutes of Game 5) and the game entirely. I think the home loss took all the wind out of the Warriors' sails, but they put up more of a fight then I think people could've given them credit for. Against Phoenix, they'll be huffing and puffing up and down the court, AND get lit up inside the key. Phoenix is also a much better defensive team, much more experienced, and has been consistently good throughout the regular season. Everyone talks about Phoenix's lack of a bench, but have they really needed to use one when they've had so much success with what they currently have? Activating Marcus Banks and Jalen Rose would make them even stronger, and they'll hopefully be on the roster tonight against San Antonio, and give them a surprise.

If you guys have ESPNNEWS, they're going to replay an interview between Dan Patrick and David Stern that took place on ESPN Radio today. It's a good listen.

Damn. Stern really made Patrick look like a bitch.

About time that Patrick tried to come hard at someone and got smacked down.

David Stern was being a bitch. Talking over someone isn't making them your bitch.

My problem, once again, with all of this is that the SAME league to into consideration that James jones and Fransico Elson only jawed at each other for a few seconds and didn't get physical in deciding that Tim Duncan running on the court in anticipation of a altercation and bruce bowen running out behind him was okay....IN THE SAME GAME.

Players are allowed to walk out to the coaches box, so basically, that ONE foot of Boris diaw that came across the inline and those 2 STEPS that Amare took across the inline is why they are suspended while Duncan who jogged out past the three point line, once again, in the SAME GAME, is getting nothing. If it is "I have a rule and they broke it and I have no choice" how can you choose to look at all these different circumstances with one team and none with the other? And having swarmy asshole attitude when talking to a reporter doesn't make his retarded logic any more or less unarguable.

Just to say how stupid the rule is. If James Jones had kicked Franisco Elson in the face after that play, Duncan would have been suspended. So bascially once again, you play dirty, it plays dividends. Remember that NBA players.

And for the people saying Golden State got screwed on the calls last night, the officiating was just fucking horrible everywhere. I mean yeah, that bs Flagrant on Jackson, tech on Barnes and that flop by Kirilinko were all horrible, but Baron Davis got at least 5-6 plays where he got absolutely horrible calls go his way. The refs just were sucking last night all around.

Yeah, this only reinforces the fact that David Stern is a poor commissioner. What a poor handling of the situation. The point about Duncan is a good one.

I normally hate the sports guy, but he had a really good article about the whole mess on Page 2.

Damn. Stern really made Patrick look like a bitch.

About time that Patrick tried to come hard at someone and got smacked down.

David Stern is my hero

He knew that the only way he was going to go over Patrick was to be a bigger dick than Patrick is.

but Then on PTI he got his point across in a calm and collected manner and IMO took Tony and Wilbon to school

but Then on PTI he got his point across in a calm and collected manner and IMO took Tony and Wilbon to school

All he did was impose his will. He was basically not budging in his answers, it's not like Wilbon and Kornheiser had much to work with when you have the guy answering "yes" and "no" to each question, as if an explanation was out of the question.

You know...Jalen Rose kicks ass. I just felt like saying that. Everytime they interview the guy...pure kickass.

Stern is only one voice, a very boring voice at that.

ESPN has been putting a negative spin on this all day long.

I think the NBA did the right thing (rules are rules), I suppose, but I do think the rule will be changed because this is a travesty.

You know...Jalen Rose kicks ass. I just felt like saying that. Everytime they interview the guy...pure kickass.

When he played for Toronto, they showed a lot of his post game or just regular interviews and yeah, they were great. My favourite was when a reporter broke news to him that they traded Vince Carter to New Jersey, his instantly replied "Was it for Jefferson?".

Duncan jumped off the bench in celebration of Elson's dunk, and ended up on the court. He didn't move any closer after the words were exchanged on the court or whatever else happened. Bowen went out there and pulled him back to the bench.

Edited the GS/Utah stuff out, because I don't feel like arguing about it.