TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Favorite match finishes

What are some match finishes that you've really liked, either because it was well executed or because you thought it did a good job of getting a wrestler or storyline over?

The finish that inspired this thread was the finish to the Backlash four-way main event this year, with Cena, Michaels, Edge and Orton. In case you didn't see it, it saw Orton attempt to RKO Cena only for Cena to push Orton off and into the path of a spear from Edge. Cena then FU'd Edge, with Cena then getting superkicked by Shawn. Shawn collapsed, and Cena fell onto a still prone Orton and got the pin. I really loved this finish for a number of reasons. First, it was executed perfectly, with everyone always being in position to hit their move and be where they had to be in order for the finish to come off as intended. Secondly, it did a great job of allowing Cena to luck into a win without looking undeserving, but at the same time making sure the main story coming out of the main event was that Shawn came within inches of becoming WWE Champion, only for circumstances to conspire against him. Cena gets to retain the title, but the finish was such that it sets up a rematch between the two for a PPV down the line.

I liked the finish to UT/Bret at SSlam 97. It was a good transition to the Shawn/UT program and it was a way to get the title to Bret without making any of the participants look weak. The ending (and subsequent ones afterwards) set UT into a series of programs that lasted until December of 98, which was nice to see. I like finishes that lead to a strong direction for a character that sets them on a long path, obviously. It's better than program. end program. stop. wait two weeks. start new program.

THAT's how you book someone. UT lost matches, but never once was made to look weak. I didn't like how they booked HBK/Shamrock for a PPV during the middle of the Shawn/UT deal, but that's another thing. It's not like Shamrock was put over in any way.

But on the other hand, they didn't give much of a boost to Bret after the win. The world title should always be main focus, unless there's a big, well built up gimmick match at the end of the PPV or a big regional draw you plan on putting over, like Bulldog. Really, the Patriot shouldn't be a world title contender, even though it fits with the whole Bret anti-US thing.

Joe-Punk 3. The idea of Punk losing his entire plan because Joe figured out how to combat Punk's methodical approach by busting him open forced Punk to charge which put Joe with the advantage. It built perfectly off the first two matches and the sense of urgency from Punk was something you don't see very often in pro wrestling especially in a no-time limit match. It's not my favorite but I just watched it the other day and even though I've seen it many times, I still get caught into that finish.

Flair winning the Royal Rumble by taking advantage of the spat between Hogan and Sid has always been a favorite finish of mine.

The Midnight Express beating the Dynamic Dudes after Cornette showed his true colors was another great finish.

Guest the_last_rites

now this might sound cliched and even though it happened was well past my mark days but Mankind winning the title on Raw from Rock with Austins interference is one that I absolutely enjoyed in spite of the dirty finish

Hart Austin at WM is another one

Now I might be one of the few in the minority for the next one. It was the Harts/Steiners match from Jan 94. I thought the finish was absolutely deserving and the outcome even though a draw made both teams look strong. I also liked the Steiners shouting out to the Harts after the match got over to come back and finish it and 5 mins later Harts return the favour only for the teams to finally be seperated and shake hands 5 mins after that. I thought it was one of the best tag matches I've ever seen as well.

Then theres a bunch of obvious ones like Hart/Piper WM 8, TigerDrivvaaahhhhhhhhh 91, H vs Hayabusa(the only thing that takes it down a notch is HBK's BS on the mic right after the match ended)

As far as just a closing spot, I liked the finish to Rockers/Orients at RR'91. It was a bit contrived, to say the least, but it looked pretty cool.

The finish to HHH/HBK at Summerslam '02 has always been a favorite of mine, everything from the table spot on. Michaels puts HHH through the table, and HHH stays down from that sick spot long enough for Shawn to hit the elbow off a ladder. Shawn comes up with this "I'm still standing" look, then moves into position. He throws the superkick, HHH catches him, spins him, looks for the Pedigree, but Michaels grabs a jacknife roll for 3. Great because it was a series of two HUGE spots leading to the end; then they countered each other's finishes without making it look contrived. A "fluke" win was better for Shawn, as well, since HHH was the big badass and Shawn was back from injury. Just really well thought-out and executed.

Orton's win over you-know-who at Summerslam '04 was good too, just the RKO truly out of nowhere. I like that a lot better than his "stalker" routine. Reminded me of the way DDP could grab the diamond cutter at any time.

Shawn vs. Shelton from the Gold Rush tourney on RAW on (I think) May 2, 2005, was also awesome -- the one where Shelton springboards off the top right into the superkick. Just a sweet visual. Shawn's collapse onto him and the subsequent reaction were good, too, selling how Shelton took him to town.

- The main event of WM XX holds a special place in my heart (though diminished now). When HBK went for Sweet Chin Music and then Benoit back body-dropped him over the top rope, I *knew* he was going to win, even though he walked into KICK WHAM PEDIGREE from HHH. And while the "reversal into the Crossface-HHH rolls through-Benoit holds on to the CF" sequence lasted only a few moments, at the time it felt like for-freakin'-ever.

- Austin/HBK from WM XIV is a pretty cool visual. IIRC, HBK goes for SWM, Austin catches the boot and kicks HBK in the gut and turns for the Stunner, HBK pushed Austin away and kicks for SCM, Austin ducks and hits the KICK WHAM STUNNER for the pin.

- Golberg spearing and Jackhammering Brock followed by a seamless Frog Splash from Eddie at NWO '04, giving Eddie his WWE Championship was one of those moments where the anticipation of "holy shit, is he really gonna pull off the win???" paid off.

Warrior/Savage WM7. Warrior hits his finisher but it's not enough, he convinces himself he can't win and begins to walk off only for Savage to bring him back and continue the fight. Savage hits FIVE elbows, HE can't get the win either. Warrior hits his finishers again, this time it's enough to beat Savage who he pins with a simple foot on the chest. Then Sherri attacks Savage only for Elizabeth to come out of the audience to make the save, reuniting them after a 3 year split. The crowd was on fire for the entire match and ending, and it was actually something involving Warrior you could watch over and over again.

-Patterson/Slaughter boot camp match. Patterson repeatedly rams Slaughter into the ring post, drawing more blood each time before the Grand Wizard runs to ringside and throws in the towel on behalf of Slaughter. Wizard then has to hold Slaughter back from the ring.

-Santana/Valentine cage match. Santana climbs over the cage and kicks the door in Greg Valentine's face.

Warrior/Savage WM7. Warrior hits his finisher but it's not enough, he convinces himself he can't win and begins to walk off only for Savage to bring him back and continue the fight. Savage hits FIVE elbows, HE can't get the win either. Warrior hits his finishers again, this time it's enough to beat Savage who he pins with a simple foot on the chest. Then Sherri attacks Savage only for Elizabeth to come out of the audience to make the save, reuniting her them after a 3 year split. The crowd was on fire for the entire match and ending, and it was actually something involving Warrior you could watch over and over again.

Agreed. I would probably still mark out for that match if I saw it again.

A lot of my favorites were already mentioned, but here's one that wasn't:

Kurt Angle beating Stone Cold Steve Austin at Unforgiven 2001 during the whole Invasion angle. Angle makes Austin tap to the ankle lock and the place goes nuts, especially since it's in Kurt's hometown. Although Austin's hand was under the ropes, it didn't diminish the win much for me. How Kurt's family and friends come in and celebrate and hoist him on their shoulders and jump up and down is just an awesome visual to me. Especially since it seemed to coincide with Kurt's theme playing. They were sort of jumping to the beat.

Well it's my favorite match ever so I'll mention Bret vs. Bulldog from SS 92. Bret gets Davey Boy in the Sharpshooter and the crowd gasps, since this being 1992 people hardly ever escaped from a finisher. Bulldog does make the ropes for the break. Soon after Bret goes into the ropes, tries the sunset flip, but Bulldog sits down on him and folds Brets legs into an impossible to break package. 1-2-3.

As far as Macho/Warrior goes, I love that match but is the actual finish that great? The stuff leading to it rules like nothing else, but the finish is really just Warrior shoulder blocking Savage a bunch and putting a foot on his chest.

The Rock delivering three Rock Bottoms to Stone Cold. I love how when he holds him up for the third one, you know Austin's not kicking out of this one, and Rock just PLANTS him. Great stuff

Bret's counter into the Sharpshooter against Mr. Perfect at Summerslam 91

In kind I always appreciated Bret's counter to Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series 1992. Shawn, as I recall, jumped off the ropes and Bret caught him mid air for the sharpshooter.

You know what all I can think of is Bret Hart matches right now. I'm also remembering the end of his match with Razor Ramon at Royal Rumble 1993.

- Hogan/Rock is still one of my favorite endings ever. As much for the crowd reaction as the booking and execution but everything from the Hulk Up on is phenomenal. Perfectly brings out nostalgia to get the crowd going before Rock Bottoming nostalgia back to reality.

- The ending to HHH & Austin/Benoit & Jericho. Fast paced with countless near-falls and both teams looking unbeatable.

- Bret/Hennig at KOTR93. The sharpshooter counter was brilliant and the match of one-upsmanship ends with Bret outsmarting Curt one last time. Never get tired of that one.

And my favorite match finish ever:

- Savage/Flair at WM8. So heated and intense with Savage's big comeback followed by Perfect breaking it up, then the beatdown on Macho, Liz coming out and the big shock ending followed by the post match brawl. Absolutely perfect.

As far as Macho/Warrior goes, I love that match but is the actual finish that great? The stuff leading to it rules like nothing else, but the finish is really just Warrior shoulder blocking Savage a bunch and putting a foot on his chest.

I don't think we should limit ourselves to the final pinfall/submission.

But if we did, Shawn Michaels catching Shelton Benjamin with a superkick off the ropes for the pin is one of my all-time favorite spots.

Y'know, I kinda like Angle/Austin from Summerslam 01. It had like four different referees running in cause Austin kept knocking them out and cheating like mad, and Angle has him beat, but Austin narrowly gets himself disqualified to retain the title. Quite an intense finish, and I liked the merciless cheating. I was quite behind Austin, so I was happy to see him sneak away by the skin of his teeth.

Shawn vs. Shelton from the Gold Rush tourney on RAW on (I think) May 2, 2005, was also awesome -- the one where Shelton springboards off the top right into the superkick. Just a sweet visual. Shawn's collapse onto him and the subsequent reaction were good, too, selling how Shelton took him to town.

I fucking love that match so much, and the ending is sick. I've watched it atleast 30-40 times.

Royal Rumble '95. The majority of the crowd bought that it was over and I know false-eliminations aren't anything new, but it was *such* a false-finish, Shawn couldn't have come much closer to having both feet touch than they actually did. Worthy of the amount of times it's been shown over the years.

No Mercy 1999, Edge and Christian vs. The Hardys. It was a spot that could have looked pretty contrived, Matt gets knocked off of one ladder and bounces off the ropes, knocking over the other ladder. Jeff steps off of the falling ladder onto the standing one, keeps his balance and pulls down the bag (eventually). Would have looked bad if it went wrong (like the spot where Jeff tried to walk across the top of three ladders to the belt, from which match I forget) but it came off perfectly in a match that just needed a well executed ending to make all four guys' careers.

Also, a more obscure one. Mike Quackenbush vs. Claudio Castagnoli, I think IWA Ted Petty Tournament 2006. Quack goes for a Hurricanrana but Claudio turns it into a Code Red in mid-air for the pin. Crowd were totally shocked by it and a really awesome visual. The only problem was, it came just after the crowd gave them a standing ovation after a nearfall, so it came a little too soon. Another five minutes with the crowd on their feet (like the Dragon Gate match in ROH) would have been a classic match. Still well worth searching out.

As a big Bulldog fan I can tell you I loathe that fucking Rumble finish from 1995 so bad. I'd burn the tape if I could, that's how bad I hate that finish. Even if it wasn't my then favorite wrestler getting screwed over it's still a stupid finish. 1. Why wouldn't he stand there and make sure Shawn was totally eliminated? 2. Why would they play his ring music as though he had won? By doing that he thus thought the match was actually over.

While the match wasn't the greatest with Sting still testing his boundaries after the knee injury, Great American Bash 1990 vs Ric Flair for the NWA World Title. The crowd was pretty damn electric that night, and the pop when Sting reversed the figure four into the cradle and got the win was damn good.

I second many of the WWF based finishes listed in the thread, and thought I'd add two Austin related finishes, although they may have already been listed. The I quit match from Mania 13 and the finish to the championship match at Mania 17 were both good finishes.

Guest Smues

Kurt Angle winning the WCW title from Booker T on Smackdown. Austin sneaks down and hits the stunner, Booker T gloats and does the spinarooni but when he walks over to pin Kurt he gets dropped into the Anglelock and Booker taps. The crowd reaction to that still gives me chills. Great moment.

8-man elimination for the U.S. title from July 2004 on Smackdown.

Final men are RVD, Booker T, and John Cena. Cena is down with Van Dam heading towards the corner for the 5-Star, Booker plants both hands on Rob's shoulders, but RVD just elbows him, and knocks him down momentarily. Its all going by so fast, the no notices the ref counting what Booker did as a tag. RVD nails the frog splash, and does his usual sell on the ribs/stomach. However Booker crawls in as the legal man, pins Cena, then hits the scissor kick on Van Dam who's still recovering and pins him, all in less than 10 seconds after the splash.

Did an effective job of giving a heel a win without cheating (the last clean loss for Cena for almost 3 years), but still making him seem cheap opportunist, who merely took advantage of the face's lack of focus. One of those finishes where the instant replay illuminates everything that people might have missed (the initial tag, the ref telling RVD he's not legal after the frog splash).

Owen countering the victory roll and pinning Bret at Wrestlemania X.

I have to agree with this one. That Owen counter of the victory roll into the pin shocked everyone and really put him over.

HHH/Austin (The Power Trip) vs. Jericho/Benoit. Not only is HHH busting his ass with a torn quad, but then he takes a Walls of Jericho on the announcer's table and continues the match. Jericho hit's the Lionsault on Austin, and here comes HHH with the sledgehammer only for Jericho to move out of the way, and then Benoit comes out and tackles down HHH to allow Jericho to pin Austin.