TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boxer

OAO 2007 No Mercy Thread

hahaha, I hope 'funtimes star ratings' become a staple of PPV threads. I have a question: is the general consensus that Orton was actually put over? Like, legitimately, or in that Hogan 'gonna getcha when it matters' way?

I really don't know where I stand on this PPV. As soon as it ended I felt like it was one of the worst shows I'd ever ordered. I really don't understand whey they couldn't just have had the winner of HHH-Umaga face Orton in a last man standing match. Instead, they had to have 3 different title wins in one night. It's just stupid and unnecessary. On the other hand, the show was good in that it was unpredictable and different from any other PPV they've done. The LMS match was really good and I'm glad Orton won.

Upon thinking about it for a while, it seems like someone told them they were getting predictable, and they decided to just go batshit with the top belt to see how it went over.

To be honest, it was a pretty good deal; none of the title matches were overly bad (though HHH/Umaga certainly wasn't good) and when you consider that most other PPVs charge $35 for 3 title matches, and this one was $35 for 4 (I'm going to disregard Punk/BDV, but you can count it if you so wish) with at least one guaranteed "new" champion walking out...

hahaha, I hope 'funtimes star ratings' become a staple of PPV threads. I have a question: is the general consensus that Orton was actually put over? Like, legitimately, or in that Hogan 'gonna getcha when it matters' way?

More of a "HHH had already wrestled two matches and sustained "injured ribs"" way. But hey, you take what you can get with him, I guess.

More of a "HHH had already wrestled two matches and sustained "injured ribs"" way. But hey, you take what you can get with him, I guess.

It could be argued that Orton was put over because it was done clean and Randy wasn't exactly a fresh contender (like Edge has done in the past) either.

Nice to see the love for the main. The PPV was, as stated by most, unpredictable. I wasn't really a fan of any of the matches until the end. Batista/Khali was a lot better than it should have been. You REALLY have to give Dave props for risking serious injury with that jump. Pretty cool spot.

HHH sold very well and the emotion was there. You really can't ever count the guy out because of his past (and to an extent his present) even though it was obvious he got the clean win earlier in the night to keep strong.

Real nail biter.

I'd just like to give a shout out to all the fantasy bookers who truly believed Chris freaking Jericho was going to walk out of this PPV with 4 weeks of ambiguous hype and no advertisment as the WWE champion. Great call.

Nice to see the love for the main. The PPV was, as stated by most, unpredictable. I wasn't really a fan of any of the matches until the end. Batista/Khali was a lot better than it should have been. You REALLY have to give Dave props for risking serious injury with that jump. Pretty cool spot.

HHH sold very well and the emotion was there. You really can't ever count the guy out because of his past (and to an extent his present) even though it was obvious he got the clean win earlier in the night to keep strong.

Real nail biter.

I'd just like to give a shout out to all the fantasy bookers who truly believed Chris freaking Jericho was going to walk out of this PPV with 4 weeks of ambiguous hype and no advertisment as the WWE champion. Great call.

Oh ho, a shot at me I see.

I'd like to throw a shout out to outdated banners in signatures.

POSSIBLE MATCH OF THE YEAR

Yes it was.

The first match they had was pretty good too. It was a lot better than their Unforgiven match when Orton first got the world title.

It looks like they booked the whole match like HHH was Cena. 1 big clue was HHH didn't even use or go for the sledgehammer. The spot where HHH was going for the pedigree on the table could've been Randy going for the RKO ala Raw to Cena, then Cena turns it into the FU..Randy can't make the 10 count....

Thought it was pretty disappointing that they ended Punk/ BDV so early. They could have had BDV beat up Punk for a while, then when Punk starts to make a comeback have Striker interfer and cause the DQ

I did impulse buy and ended up happy with my decision. Great main event and I actually thought the opening HHH/Orton match was really good too (figure four spot!). Good to have a hot crowd, too.

^^^ For a minute when HHH was working on Orton's knee in the first match, I thought he was about to use his old Indian Deathlock from 2003. Seeing a figure four was nice though.

Main event was definitely my MOTY thus far. Great work from both guys. On another note, would it really hurt for WWE to let someone who ISN'T Cena, carry around the "Pimp My Belt"? That thing just looked silly when HHH was wearing it around his waist for the Umaga match. I'll admit, the belt is big and bulky like a championship should be (Cena always has it folded-up, and I didn't realize the strap is as long as it is), but on anyone but Cena, it looks goofy.

I was rather impressed to see Batista win the way he did, but the announcers were really overblowing it, especially JBL. WOW! PEOPLE THINK BATISTA IS ALL ABOUT POWER AND NOTHING ELSE! BUT THIS MATCH SHOWED HE HAS POWER, GUTS, HEART, AND AGILITY! LOOK AT THAT SPIDER-MAN LEAP, COLE!

Plus I could've done without Michael Cole's "Most Valuable Puke" comment. Cole makes my skin crawl as an announcer sometimes.

Guest flairfan
I did impulse buy and ended up happy with my decision. Great main event and I actually thought the opening HHH/Orton match was really good too (figure four spot!). Good to have a hot crowd, too.

I didnt buy the PPV, but i have to agree Hot Crowds make a HUGE difference. Thats why I am a huge fan of World Wide Wrestling from back in the 80s....(that show had some of the hottest crowds EVER!)

Anyways, from what I have heard the HHH Orton matches where worth seeing and the rest was so so....I will be buying the DVD when it comes out just to have the HHH/Orton Matches...

No Mercy was MUCH better than Summerslam.

The Last Man Standing match was awesome. I'm so glad they put over Orton, he's been shafted too many times with Cena. I hope Orton gets a decent run. Plus, I don't like the idea of yet another HHH reign. Long live Orton, unless Jericho returns.

As for the rest of the PPV, It was good overall. The only bad points were the CM Punk/BDV match and the Women's match. I also could have done without the MVP/Hardy segment. Having said all of that, Finlay/Mysterio and the Punjabi Prison match were both good.

I enjoyed No Mercy.

A decent Main Event does make up for the fact that the rest of the PPV was pretty bad. This show just goes to show how big of ego HHH really has, and I'm a fan of his. He wins the title to start the show, goes through Umaga and then puts Orton over the same way Hogan put Warrior over when he lost the title to him. HHH couldn't have just stayed down for the entire 10 count, but he had to "try" to get up at the end.

Why exactly was there a match stoppage in the Rey/Finlay match? I don't recall the bell ringing, so it should have continued. It's just Rey for crying out loud....we've seen him job ad nauseum so I think him jobbing in such heinous fashion to Finlay would have been okay. That whole thing reminded me of Buff Bagwell in WCW when he was feuding with Rick Steiner.

Come to think of it there was a lot of WCW type booking on this show. The Bagwell inspired Finlay nonsense, the DDP/Sting riffing with HHH and Orton. What's funny is that HHH will act like he was mega screwed when in fact Orton wrestled twice and he wrestled three times so it's not like there was some huge disparity. If anything Vince's decisions made a lot of sense. HHH wanted an immediate title shot, so Vince gave it to him. HHH already had a scheduled match with Umaga, so Vince made him honor that commitment. And there was already a WWE title match scheduled in the main event that was LMS, so HHH had to honor that as well since he was now WWE champion.

Are we to assume that the epic with Umaga took it all out of HHH so he was so weakened that he couldn't beat Orton?

Are we to assume that the epic with Umaga took it all out of HHH so he was so weakened that he couldn't beat Orton?

Probably, which will suck.

So what is this 'leap of faith' that Batista took?

He was climbing down the cage and he jumped maybe half way down. **Shrugs** Foley it wasn't.

So what is this 'leap of faith' that Batista took?

He was climbing down the cage and he jumped maybe half way down. **Shrugs** Foley it wasn't.

Is the cage just the normal cage height? That's not really that amazing... I mean, good for Dave for doing something other than sucking terribly, but... That doesn't sound too impressive.

He leaped from the first cage over to the second. It wasn't spectacular or anything, but a nice spot. It would have been devastating if he blew it.

It would have been hilarious.

And it would have spun some knock on effects too.

Khali being dumbfounded trying to figure out how to waste time stalling down the cage.

Khali winning the title again.

All hilarious circumstances.

Guest TheJuice31

I'm usually on board for things like this, but I'm just not feelin' the LMS match like the rest of yall. Maybe I need to rewatch it, but it didn't do a whole lot for me the first time around. Maybe ***1/2 at best, but not the MOTY that I've been reading. For me, the finish was never really in doubt. With the WWE Title's Cyber Sunday stipulation being rumored as the HIAC/No DQ/FCA stip, and the likely bout being HHH/Orton, the only way it makes sense for the match to happen is to have Orton go over. Otherwise, he would have jobbed to HHH twice in one night, on a night when HHH wrestled three times. It makes no sense for Orton to get a title shot under that logic. I figured either Orton would go over, or it would be a draw.

Personally, it all seemed like a lazy way to get HHH another title reign under his belt. I don't see why that first match between the two was necessary. They could have had HHH/Orton LMS in the main, and had Umaga/HHH earlier in the show, with HHH winning, but Umaga still doing the damage to carry over to the main event, which they did. I don't quite get why the first match had to happen. My only reasoning was because it wouldn't have fit the "tonight, history will be made" bit.

Still, if someone could shed some light on what the big deal behind the main event was, I'd be down for rewatching it. Maybe it's cuz I never really bought into the suspense of the whole thing and maybe that I'm so used to LMS matches being so underwhelming (since HHH/Jericho in 2000, I can't think of anything that has even come close).

So was Orton put over or was it pretty much "you got lucky this time, you little bitch, next time you're dead!"?

Nope, it was more similar to HHH/Foley at RR00.

It wasnt like HHH beat Orton convincingly in their 1st match as well, he won by fluke roll up.

A decent Main Event does make up for the fact that the rest of the PPV was pretty bad. This show just goes to show how big of ego HHH really has, and I'm a fan of his. He wins the title to start the show, goes through Umaga and then puts Orton over the same way Hogan put Warrior over when he lost the title to him. HHH couldn't have just stayed down for the entire 10 count, but he had to "try" to get up at the end.

The booking would have been fine if they just eliminated the HHH-Umaga match. Have HHH win the belt in the first match, have Orton go over clean in the LMS match exercising his rematch clause (could even do it last minute so HHH is reall surprised), and this sets up HIAC perfectly putting both guys over.

Now Orton just looks like a Jericho World champ (ie, HHH's bitch with inevitable HHH victory).

I'd pay money to see Batista vs. a angry Basketball.

You will WWE will make it happen!

This wasn't the PPV of the year, Deon. One really good match doesn't make for PPVOTY.

Aside from The Royal Rumble and Backlash, the rest of the PPVs this year have been pure crap IMO.

Now with Orton being the champ, I hope they finally let destroy that fucking belt spinner belt tomorrow night or at least throw it in the garbage where it belongs.

its not a spinner belt... it doesnt spin anymore!!!!!!