Sat, Feb. 9

Portland @ Indiana, 7:00

LA Clippers @ Philadelphia, 7:00

Memphis @ New Orleans, 8:00

New York @ Milwaukee, 8:30

Atlanta @ Houston, 8:30

Chicago @ Utah, 9:00

Sacramento @ Golden State, 10:30

Wow, this a tough week for the Pistons. Two tough games with the Miami Heat in between, who could beat them if they lose focus worrying about Portland.

Gasol didn't play today because Kwame made it to Memphis so late that he hasn't taken his physical. That sucked.

Probably the most wasted talent in the history of the NBA.

And I don't think that I am overstating it. He could easily have been one of the top 5 players EVER.

Nonsense. Chris Webber is the most wasted talent in the history of the NBA; at least 'Sheed has a ring.

No NBA player has ever done as little with as much as Chris Webber had. Best hands for a big man ever, AFAIC, great touch around the basket, could shoot it, could put it on the floor. There basically wasn't anything that a healthy Chris Webber couldn't do.

Except remember how many timeouts his team had left. *rimshot*

Seriously though, Rasheed, Webber and Derrick Coleman are probably the three most agitating guys to watch in terms of squandered talent that I've ever seen.

Nonsense. Chris Webber is the most wasted talent in the history of the NBA; at least 'Sheed has a ring.

No NBA player has ever done as little with as much as Chris Webber had. Best hands for a big man ever, AFAIC, great touch around the basket, could shoot it, could put it on the floor. There basically wasn't anything that a healthy Chris Webber couldn't do.

Oh please. Chris Webber consistantly did more with his talent than Rasheed Wallace. First I think that Rasheed has always had more all around skills. Then there is the fact that Webber was pretty much always over 20-10 every year. And on top of that, much of Webbers decline had nothing to do with his effort or lack of focus. He had multiple serious injuries. I can't count that as a waste of talent. I count that as unfortunate injuries.

Rasheed COULD score on the block at will. With his height and wing span and strength and abilities he is virtually unstoppable with his back to the basket. He also can step oput and consistantly hit the jump shot out to the three point line. He ALSO has underrated passing abilities out the post that rank up there with Webbers ability.

THEN you add in the fact that he is probably the best on the ball post defensive player we have seen in the NBA in a LONG time. He COULD average 2-3 shot blocks a game but he doesn't challenge shots that much. Rebounding wise, when he puts in the effort he he COULD average around 11-12 rebounds a game. Only he doesn't try all the time. Hell, even at getting steals, his wingspan helps him get those.

There has never been a big man that has his combination of offensive skills. Ever. he has dirk range with a real back to the basket game. He can play finesse and bruiser style. Defensively, he is one of the best now and he doesn't try that hard.

If he had any kind of focus We would be talking about the most unstoppable offensive force in the league that also happens to be one of the more unmoveable objects on the defensive end. Instead we have a guy that sometimes is unstoppable and sometimes lacks the focus to pay attention to the game or gets bored and doesn't try as hard. I am talking about a bigger Hakeem with more range. Absolutely ridiculous to watch him play and think about what he could be.

Guest Blue Man Czech

The entire Pistons team is an exercise in not giving a damn, really. Imagine how good they'd be if they felt like beating shitty teams more often.

And I don't think that I am overstating it. He could easily have been one of the top 5 players EVER.

If Sheed had Michael Jordan's drive and determination he would be the greatest power forward ever maybe. If MJ had Sheed's drive he would be J.R. Rider.

Focus has been Sheed's problem ever since college. He gets bored unless he is up against a Tim Duncan or the like, then you see his A game. The major complaint is that he doesn't post up enough, but when you think about it he never has. He has great skill in every area and he can do anything on the court that he sets his mind to.

He doesn;t go for blocks as much as he should because of the image he made for himself getting techs. If he gets a block and a foul is called, six or seven times out of ten he goes ballistic and he gets teed up. Its almost like clockwork. I will say that he has done a better job of controlling himself, because back in the Blazer days it was eight or nine time out of ten.

And yes, the Pistons are notorious for losing focus during the regular season, but I think that can be said for every team since the 1996 Bulls. 82 games is a long, long season and a team simply cannot be at the height of their focus and drive. If they try that, you know what happens? They lose in the first or second round of the playoffs because at some point they are going to burn out.

If Sheed had Michael Jordan's drive and determination he would be the greatest power forward ever maybe. If MJ had Sheed's drive he would be J.R. Rider.

Hahaha, well put.

The sad part is that to the average fan these days they won't realize that that game is far more special and impressive than a generic Jason Kidd triple double this year where he gets about 12-10-11.

If anything, I always thought Webber was underrated.

It's a CRIME that Josh Smith didn't make the All-Star team. I'd say without hyperbole, that he's probably one of the top ten all-around players in the game, though Rip probably thinks that's stating the obvious.

as an all around player, he is up there. But he still tries to do to much at times. There are times where I am screaming for him to give the ball to the point guard instead of pushing the break (although he is one of the better outlet passers in the league). On offense, he is so content on not being seen as just a dunker that he doesn't finish strong around the basket at all and is constantly throwing up these wild layups. And his jumper is also streaky. So his turnovers, and he has the shot selection of Boston Antoine Walker.

Those are the things that stop him from being a top ten player in the league for me. But pound for pound he is probably the best shot blocker I have ever seen, he has great playmaking abilities on the post(so of course we never run plays for him on the post) and he changes the game almost ever night on the defensive end which is just tough to do.

Just to think, when this kid was a rookie, he couldn't dribble, or shoot. All he could do was dunk and pull off a good pass every now and then. Now he is playing his way to a max contract.

BREAKING NEWS~!

Heat talking to Phoenix about a Shaq for Marion and Banks swap. WTF?! Kerr is a dumbass.

The Heat infromed Shaq's agent that they are in serious discussions to trade him. Phoenix, as you mentioned above, is the front runner, but Dallas has reportedly made an offer as well.

Miami Herald makes it sound like he's as good as gone.

Who knows what Phoenix is thinking. With Marion set to be a free agent this summer, maybe they are just trying to get something in return. Shedding Marcus Banks in the deal is an added bonus. I think we all know that O'Neal is on his last legs, but perhaps Kerr thinks they can get enough out of him to make a run at a title this year.

Phoenix is not going to win a title standing pat. I do not know if this deal pushes them over the top, but if Shaq comes back healthy (well, as healthy as he can be at this point) and is paired with Amare and Steve Nash I do not know how his numbers could not improve.

Marion has made rumblings and about wanting out for a while and Shaq would obviously prefer not to play for the worst team in the league. So you could be looking at an improvement in chemistry and a motivated former superstar. Marion is averaging 16 and 10 and Shaq is averaging 14 and 8 in 8 fewer minutes so the drop off is not as gargantuan as you would think.

Guest Vitamin X

Wow, I'm glad I kept Shaq around in my fantasy league, then. We all know he tends to lose steam and not give a shit after he's won a title, then when he gets to a new environment he starts kicking ass again to "prove people wrong" or whatever.

If anything, this might finally help Phoenix defend against bigs, which has been their main weakness for a bit. Imagine that Stoudamire/Shaq front court! Could be pretty awesome. Who would take Marion's spot at his F slot, though?

Guest Vitamin X

I think I would actually move Stoudamire to the 4 and play Nash-Bell-Hill-Amare-Shaq as the starting lineup. What's funny is that this trade completely changes the Suns' style of play. You can't exactly have a fast-paced fullcourt game with freakin' SHAQ in the middle there. It'd be 4 on 5 everytime the Suns are trying to run their plays on offense.

EDIT: From a Yahoo! Sports columnist:

I really can't begin to wrap my head around what Shaquille O'Neal operating in the Suns' run-and-gun offense would look like, but I keep picturing a dragon trying to play hopscotch, so take that as you will. What a rumor.

Yeah, I just saw that on ESPN.com.

how the hell do u idiots figure shaq 2 the suns is a good idea???!!!! shaq is old,washed-up,done,t ired,out-of-shape,sa d cuz his wife is f'n the personal trainer,sad cuz his tv show was a bust,finished,fanito ,caput,stick a fork in his big ####!!! no ####

Edited by alfdogg