TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

TW LW Title (click to view) Studio Weekend Gross % Change Theater Count / Change Average Total Gross Budget* Week #

1 1 The Dark Knight WB $26,030,000 -39.0% 4,025 -241 $6,467 $441,541,000 $185 4

2 N Pineapple Express Sony $22,400,000 - 3,072 - $7,291 $40,474,000 $27 1

3 2 The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor Uni. $16,113,000 -60.2% 3,778 +18 $4,264 $70,671,000 $145 2

4 N The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 WB $10,770,000 - 2,707 - $3,978 $19,712,000 $27 1

5 3 Step Brothers Sony $8,900,000 -46.1% 3,182 +88 $2,796 $80,903,000 $65 3

6 4 Mamma Mia! Uni. $8,081,000 -35.9% 3,194 +132 $2,530 $104,017,000 $52 4

7 5 Journey to the Center of the Earth WB (NL) $4,855,000 -27.1% 1,970 -315 $2,464 $81,759,000 $60 5

8 7 Hancock Sony $3,300,000 -35.1% 2,258 -524 $1,461 $221,709,000 $150 6

9 6 Swing Vote BV $3,106,000 -50.1% 2,213 - $1,403 $12,002,000 $21 2

10 8 Wall-E BV $3,045,000 -33.9% 2,144 -411 $1,420 $210,112,000 $180 7

11 10 Space Chimps Fox $1,650,000 -39.3% 1,631 -503 $1,011 $25,447,000 $37 4

12 11 Hellboy II: The Golden Army Uni. $1,254,000 -49.6% 1,015 -944 $1,235 $73,538,000 $85 5

Four weeks in a row.

That's a great number for Pineapple Express. Had it been released on Friday, it would've easily beaten TDK but it did a lot of upfront business on Wednesday.

The movie was only budgeted at $27 million, so it will make a nice profit.

Also, according to weekend estimates, Hell Ride barely broke the $1,000 PSA barrier. I'm seeing it tomorrow, I was hoping to say I saw two sub-$1,000 PSA movies.

Yes, I'm sad

Now, it looks like Dark Knight should be able to get around or past 500 million, but probably won't have the legs to pass Titanic.

-However-

If it does generate serious Oscar buzz with multiple nominations (with some in the serious categories, like picture or director), and wins a few (particularly something like Ledger for supporting actor), could a second theatrical run around Oscar time generate enough heat to push it past Titanic?

Somehow I doubt it'll get a second theatrical run. The only major award I think it has a chance of being nominated for is Best Supporting Actor for Ledger. But stranger things have happened, I guess.

Any mild interest I had in Hell Ride went away when I heard that it came from the same writer, director and star of Mad Dog Time

Now, it looks like Dark Knight should be able to get around or past 500 million, but probably won't have the legs to pass Titanic.

-However-

If it does generate serious Oscar buzz with multiple nominations (with some in the serious categories, like picture or director), and wins a few (particularly something like Ledger for supporting actor), could a second theatrical run around Oscar time generate enough heat to push it past Titanic?

I would think it would be out on DVD by Christmas for huge holiday sales but I dont really know..

Now is the time for all american's to realize that they can make a difference with their movie going dollar.

Do you really want to live in a country who's #1 movie is Titanic? OR do you want to live in a country where your #1 movie is...MOTHERFUCKING BATMAN!!!!

Let's all get to the movies!!!

Did they change PE's opening day because of the Olympics?

Im so sure the PE target audience is staying home on a weekend watching the Olympics on tape delay.

I could totally see stoners doing that, what are you talking about?

Somehow I doubt it'll get a second theatrical run. The only major award I think it has a chance of being nominated for is Best Supporting Actor for Ledger. But stranger things have happened, I guess.

Any mild interest I had in Hell Ride went away when I heard that it came from the same writer, director and star of Mad Dog Time

I'm sure it will be getting a Best Make Up nomination and possibly a Best Visual Effects nod.

fantasymoguls doesn't have any tracking yet, but Tropic Thunder has been pegged as summer's late hit for a long time.

TDK will probably make about 15 mil, and I think Tropic Thunder should beat that, even with the Wednesday opening

I think Clone Wars might have a chance to take the #1 spot from both Batman and Tropic Thunder. Tropic Thunder's weekend total is going to be crippled because of the Wednesday opening, and you can never underestimate the geek power to pay money for something completely fucking retarded.

I just found out that The Dark Knight took first place on the IMDB Top 250 with over 216,000 votes.

I love that "The Thing" is on that list (albeit at #174.) I fucking love that movie.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't put Batman back out during Oscar Buzz Time.

People are going to want to watch it again. Like I said in a previous thread, people are fascinated by swan song performances. We'll never see Heath Ledger or that Joker again. People will watch.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't put Batman back out during Oscar Buzz Time.

People are going to want to watch it again. Like I said in a previous thread, people are fascinated by swan song performances. We'll never see Heath Ledger or that Joker again. People will watch.

It's also just a very dense movie. A LOT happens. By the time you get to the 'joker hanging out of the police car' bit (i'm being vague here cause i dont want to spoil anything) - already a full movie's worth of shit has happened. Then there's more.

it seriously has really good rewatching value.

I'm amazed that anyone thinks Dark Knight will possibly be #1 next week....if anything it will fall to #3 behind both Tropic Thunder and Clone Wars. In reality TDK finished behind Pineapple Express from the Wed.-Sun. total, but Express was released early due to the Olympics.

Next week will be interesting though for TDK. If it can seriously hold nearly its audience to about 20 million that would be quite the feat for this late in its run.

I can easily see a hardcore batman/joker fan thinking its the greatest movie of all time. i dont necessarily agree (it's in my top 10), but people underestimate how long some Bat-Joker fans have been waiting for this incarnation of the Joker. Up till now, the closest they could come to seeing their favorite character onscreen was mark hammil's voice.

Did they change PE's opening day because of the Olympics?

Im so sure the PE target audience is staying home on a weekend watching the Olympics on tape delay.

I could totally see stoners doing that, what are you talking about?

Truthfully, in 2004 the biggest stoner I know sat home all week watching the gymnastics events. Well, he was a wrestler who did a lot of moonsaults so it was kind of a professional obsession type thing, but still, dude toked up all week while watching the olympics.