TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

John Cena having major neck problems

Too bad, this is going to be a big hit.

NOW, let them do what they did this year with Cena in 2010. He enters the Rumble, wins the damn thing, and properly gets the main event at Wrestlemania 26.

As a rare male Cena fan, I'm gonna miss the guy. Last year around this time, after Kurt Angle praised John's work ethic, I was thinking Cena could be the biggest draw of all time if he stayed healthy. He has 1 minor injury before that he worked through...then Kennedy fucked that up. I was surprised when he showed up to the Rumble. Never though John's neck could be fucked up that bad from Batista since he worked the Raw after Summerslam and looked fine. Maybe it happened at a house show last week.

If he's out for a year, then Raw is going to be a mess for a while.

Keeping him off TV for a whole year and not taking a hit is going to be tough. If he is indeed out that long, maybe they should give him a brief run on color commentary? He didn't too badly last time (HHH/Hardy I think?), he obviously knows his stuff as far as wrestling goes both from being a wrestler and being a fan as a kid, not like he wouldn't be comfortable talking, potentially solves the Cole/Lawler problem they have.

I heard it suggested that rushing back from his pec tear may have caused this. He might have ending up trying to take the pressue of his injury and ended up putting more of it on his neck. I'm not sure how true that is but I did think him coming back so quickly would have consequnces.

They won't let him get the Dr Jho surgery Angle got either. I think because Jho's surgery didn't fully work on Angle, people just assume it can't work on anyone, but Angle's neck was bad. I'm going to assume Cena's neck isn't as bad as Angle's was, so he might have better results.

The youngblood surgery isn't full proof either. It only gave Austin a couple of extra years.

Keeping him off TV for a whole year and not taking a hit is going to be tough. If he is indeed out that long, maybe they should give him a brief run on color commentary? He didn't too badly last time (HHH/Hardy I think?), he obviously knows his stuff as far as wrestling goes both from being a wrestler and being a fan as a kid, not like he wouldn't be comfortable talking, potentially solves the Cole/Lawler problem they have.

For a significant portion of the WWE fanbase, Cena is a star, someone special beyond themselves. Turning him into a color commentator for an extended period would make him ordinary. WWE should not do that.

Didn't Scott Hall have the Jho surgery as well and did fairly well? Thing is Hall was on the downside of his career and wasn't really wrestling enough to put the neck in jeopardy. Angle tried to rush back and kept going full tilt after the surgery.

This could be a blessing in disguise for Cena. He came back too early from the pec tear in a number of ways and frankly he hasn't had a real stellar year kayfabe speaking. After all the jobbing he's done this year he almost needs that time off to freshen up his character, not to mention get back to 100% physically.

This might be a good chance to bring him back as a heel. The storyline would make sense: he busted his ass for the fans, giving them everything he got. And look what it did for him. And he got busted up in what should have been a WM main event, which instead was a throwaway match in a sense at SummerSlam. Plus, assuming Punk continues to sky rocket, they could have Cena come back complaining about how he is a ground and pound wrestler, and got hurt *wrestling*, while guys like CM Punk fly all over the place with nary a scratch (I just wanted to use "nary").

I would like to see him try another run as a heel since we're coming up on 5 years since he turned face, and it would be something fresh and different. However, you will have the usual group around here that will bitch and moan about what a poor idea it would be to turn him heel because of all the merchandise he sells. This may be a bad example, but I don't remember being heels affecting the nWo's merchandise sales all that much.

I would like to see him try another run as a heel since we're coming up on 5 years since he turned face, and it would be something fresh and different. However, you will have the usual group around here that will bitch and moan about what a poor idea it would be to turn him heel because of all the merchandise he sells. This may be a bad example, but I don't remember being heels affecting the nWo's merchandise sales all that much.

Most of the people who buy Cena merchandise are kids and teenagers though, so turning Cena heel could be merchandising suicide unless Cena makes the world's most awesome cool heel.

I really hate how the solution to everything seems to be "turn him heel!". It's not a magic fix button.

Plus, assuming Punk continues to sky rocket

By the time Cena gets back from this, Punk should be well back into midcardville.

Anyway, this kind of sucks to be Cena, but taking time off should be for the best. We've seen what happens to guys who rush it or work injured, and Cena doesn't really have to worry about anybody replacing him.

Man, I thought just turning him heel for... some reason... was a great idea. But having him come back from a serious injury after a year or so away to the customary huge reaction with renewed energy, THEN have him go heel, top THAT one!

I really hate how the solution to everything seems to be "turn him heel!". It's not a magic fix button.

Plus, assuming Punk continues to sky rocket

By the time Cena gets back from this, Punk should be well back into midcardville.

What's your rationale for that? That would be a bad move, especially now. Considering Cena's going to be out for a while, the only big 'star' they have is Batista. With Cena injured, Punk is one of the guys they need to be building.

-- In great news for WWE, John Cena's surgery was a success today and the new prognosis is that he'll be able to return within two to four months. He didn't require fusion surgery, they just removed a fragment from his spinal cord that was blocking a nerve. Dr. Joseph Maroon told WWE.com that he was very positive about how the hour and a half operation went.

F4W

Is it possible this was known internally for a few weeks, at least, and that's why they rushed Cena/Batista? So they could get the most out of Cena before he was out of action for (what at the time sounded like) a year?

Is it possible this was known internally for a few weeks, at least, and that's why they rushed Cena/Batista? So they could get the most out of Cena before he was out of action for (what at the time sounded like) a year?

That thought crossed my mind but I don't believe that was the case. They probably wouldn't have advertised Cena for the Scramble or put him on Raw if they knew.

DAMMIT, looks like another 'surprise' Rumble win. A friend of mine, earlier today, was suggesting Cena make his big return to the surely thunderous applause, then follow it up with a smile, and a "Thank you everyone for the cheers, but now you need to shut the hell up" promo. They could easily have him reference the footage of Adamle announcing his injury followed by the positive ovation it received. It's like talking to a brick wall even bringing up the thought of a Cena heel turn around here, but it's what he needs right now to come back fresh.

I like how people just asume his spot is going to be safe, since lord knows no one else can get over and become popular. I'm one of the few people who thinks that WWE would push CM Punk with the title regardless if Cena was there or not, since Cena hasn't done shit this year in terms of winning matches. There are too many guys that are played out, and fans are just tired of them, and want something new. CM Punk represents something new, and even though WWE hasn't hyped him as a top guy with the title, this is the perfect time to do so. Guys like Cena and Batista have lost so many matches that are important, that they have no momentum to get the title again, and since Orton got his long title reign that Vince wished for years, I don't think he will get it back either when he returns. I don't think WWE can have Cena win the Rumble again, since they destroyed that match forever with that horrible booking this year. In fact, I don't really think Cena will get that big of a pop when he returns, since some fans just won't miss him.

I like how people just asume his spot is going to be safe, since lord knows no one else can get over and become popular. I'm one of the few people who thinks that WWE would push CM Punk with the title regardless if Cena was there or not, since Cena hasn't done shit this year in terms of winning matches. There are too many guys that are played out, and fans are just tired of them, and want something new. CM Punk represents something new, and even though WWE hasn't hyped him as a top guy with the title, this is the perfect time to do so. Guys like Cena and Batista have lost so many matches that are important, that they have no momentum to get the title again, and since Orton got his long title reign that Vince wished for years, I don't think he will get it back either when he returns. I don't think WWE can have Cena win the Rumble again, since they destroyed that match forever with that horrible booking this year. In fact, I don't really think Cena will get that big of a pop when he returns, since some fans just won't miss him.

Bitch, please....

Bitch, please....

Co-Sign.

As one of the more fervent fans of CM Punk, I have to say that was an absolutely ridiculous statement. Why do the Kentucky Boys keep hammering about his win-loss record this year?

I can see Punk getting a bigger push out of this, but he will most certainly be stuffed to the back burner when Cena returns. Because for all the talk about Punk being endearing to the kids and etc who the WWE are now marketing towards, guess what? So is John Cena.