TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

Joey Styles JKO's JBL overseas

Courtesy of PWInsider.com

PWINSIDER.COM EXCLUSIVE: OH MY GOD - YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED IN IRAQ

by Mike Johnson @ 9:52 AM on 12/9/2008

One of the most newsworthy events that transpired on World Wrestling Entertainment's tour of Iraq last week took place nowhere near any of the cameras that were filming the tour. I was stunned at hearing the following story over the weekend and initially chalked it up to being just an urban legend, but as it turns out, it was completely accurate.

Retired WWE announcer (and current WWE.com personality) Joey Styles punched out former WWE champion JBL in Iraq during an altercation between the two.

No, that is not a typo.

As the story was initially explained to me (and all versions I've heard since have matched the original report I was conveyed), JBL made Styles something of a target because it was Styles' first tour of Iraq for the company and was hazing the former ECW announcer.

I was told JBL was trying to bully Styles with a lot condescending comments and actions, including allegedly spilling a drink on Styles on purpose. JBL was more or less pulling a lot of the shenanigans that a lot of of the performers in the company can't stand but deal with since he has the political stroke of being a tenured veteran.

Several days into the tour, JBL (who by all accounts had been drinking) did something that caused Styles to physically retaliate in defense. A number of wrestlers stepped in between them and held the two apart. When JBL broke free, he went towards Styles, who "nailed him perfectly with a pretty good shot" according to one witness, laying JBL out and blackening his eye. There were no further incidents between the two on the tour after that.

There were a number of performers who pointed out to me that the story was something of karma coming back to bite JBL in the rear because his antics had caused Smackdown talent Palmer Cannon to quit the company during a European tour (and Cannon wasn't the only victim of JBL's hazing over the years) as well as the famous ECW One Night Stand beating of the Blue Meanie during the PPV closing brawl inside the ring.

At last night's Raw in Philadelphia, the story was the talk of the day among wrestlers, who were amazed by the incident. I was also told JBL was acting completely subdued at the taping, something absolutely out of character for him, as he knew the story was making the rounds. Styles, meanwhile, was trying to downplay the incident to those who brought it up to him at Raw.

It was considered doubly embarrassing for JBL among the wrestlers since he was so involved with setting up the Iraq tours.

In a strange way, some theorized the incident would get Styles over with Vince McMahon because it showed his "toughness" and could pave the way for his return to TV. I have no idea whether Styles' cameo last night was part of any direct result of the "Iraq Knockout", as it was termed to me.

"Fuck him up, Joey, fuck him up!"

Good for Styles. For years I've always been baffled as to why people put up with Bradshaw's antics, regardless of his stroke with Vince. JBL is a typical bully, once someone stands up to him and kicks his ass then he's revealed as the punk he really is.

and Joey seemed happier at his old job. I didn't notice if JBL had a black eye on Raw but they could have covered it up with makeup.

I think JBL should be acting more mature since allegedly he is a millionaire and why get drunk in Iraq during wartime.

I instantly got a mental image of George McFly knocking the hell out of Biff.

You can tell that Joey Styles looks buff though even though he is wearing a suit all of the time. I am sure working for ECW for all of those years and being in the business toughened him up a bit.

Well, Joey never looked buff when he was in ECW, but I imagine he's been hitting the gym more since ECW folded. Same with Michael Cole, he looks not only bigger in the face the last few years, but bigger in the chest area as well. I'm not gay.

Well, Joey never looked buff when he was in ECW, but I imagine he's been hitting the gym more since ECW folded. Same with Michael Cole, he looks not only bigger in the face the last few years, but bigger in the chest area as well. I'm not gay.

Cole wants to be like his favorite wrestler, Batista.

Holy SHIT. Who would have thought that the guy who would finally make Bradshaw pay for all his backstage shit would be fucking Joey Styles? That is pretty awesome.

What I like the most about it, however, is the setting. Layfield, who works to set up the Tribute to the Troops special, and is constantly dry humping the leg of the US Armed Forces, was likely, in part, trying to show off how macho he is in front of some of the military personnel that the company was working with. So, not only did he get punched out by Styles in front of a bunch of the boys, but also in front of a bunch of soldiers and military event coordinators as well.

If anybody has the details I would like to know if this happened before or after the taping.

I find it funny that they state no one wanted to do anything because of JBL's leverage, but at the same time they say Styles may have gained favor from Vince for proving he was a tough guy.

This is about as awesome as when I heard that Jericho owned Goldberg in a backstage fight. It's always the little guys you gotta look out for. ;)