Jump to content

DrVenkman PhD

Members
  • Posts

    9713
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD

  1. He beat Bossman on an episode of Heat that for some reason had the stipulation he could get a job in the Fed if he won. As for being a face, his scthick ("that's not a bad thing, that's a good thing!") towards the end of The Alliance was getting him some good face reactions. Also, since there seemed to be a lot of Mania 13 / Sid talk, I might as well mention what Bret said in his book about all that here (some of this is repeated I think, but just sourcing it as being from Bret): - Taker / Sid WAS supposed to be for the title long before Shawn's knee / smile injury. Bret vs Shawn was going to be a ladder match with the loser's hair on the line. - Bret says Sid missed time in the spring of 97 (missing the April IYH show that was to be against Bret) simply "due to injury" and does not have any sassy remark about him refusing to pay the job back, so he must believe that to be accurate.
  2. I was looking forward to seeing the HBK interview based on reading about it in Bret's book.
  3. Huh, I got all my stuff on Cogeco 10 Pounds. Then again, I was out of town and just checked late last night, so your problem may have solved itself already. On that note, with the exception of the Families special, all of my updates for this week are uniformly listed as "18 minutes". That means a lot of the program randomly stopping and me having to accept that my "rental expired" and then hitting play so it starts where it left off. This happened once before when a 3 hour MNW was listed as "7 minutes".
  4. The NBC store in NYC has The Office playing on a 1080i (or did in May, anyway) or whatever TV to promote the HD experience. It didn't seem to look all that different than watching it on DVD on a widescreen HDTV (without an S-Video cable or anything like that, so just the standard DVD resolution). I also don't like the idea that if I were to pony up for the HD receiver for $x's a month, like al said in the original post, all I've basically done is give myself the right to watch the major networks in HD. Anything else is extra. That said, once HD is mandatory, I assume receiver prices will go down and this will be a golden age of television.
  5. Someone somewhere (and I can't seem to find it) said Benoit was on WWE.com's magazine cover spotlight. I just checked all 98 of them and didn't see him. There are a bunch of photos of him fighting Chavo Guerrero at Survivor Series 06 though.
  6. The WWE Magazine cover retrospective on WWE.com is pretty cool. I love the Hogan / Warrior cover in "10 Raddest" - <a href="http://www.wwe.com/magazine/10raddest/" target="_blank">http://www.wwe.com/magazine/10raddest/</a> Of note about that cover: They didn't digitally alter "WWF" into "WWE" ("Sid Justice - WWF's Latest Lawgiver?") and the header about steroids.
  7. I don't recall team names in 1991.
  8. Woah woah sports fan, are you trying to say a DVD with classics like Undertaker vs Snuka, Jake Roberts (with no build-up footage of his hand being caught in a casket but still dragging it to chase Jake), Giant Gonzalez, and King Kong Bundy (among others!), plus some good matches that are readily available elsewhere, ISN'T good? Thanks for the tip!
  9. In his book, Bret said that match was "Match of the night" and "saved the show". Yeah, it's awesome and all... but so was Flair vs Savage. Sometimes, Bret.... sometimes. Anyway, keep it up.
  10. Oh man, Ted DiBiase kicking a couple out of the honeymoon suite is GOLD. These segments are just too good. It was funny reading in Bret's book that they had to kayfabe Ted's gimmick, so they paid for him to fly first class and get chauffeured around town and what have you. That's so great.
  11. Bret's book briefly mentions this when discussing Mike as a party goer. Her name is Michelle but LeRoy badly wanted a boy, so he called her Mike all the time.
  12. Thumbs up for Rick Rude's 1987 multi-coloured tights. Also, Rick Martel and JYD seems like a bizarre tag team combo. Anyway, here's next month's WWE.com preview: Much like "Tombstone", the Championship DVD was something I never bothered to buy but would gladly watch in separated parts on 24/7. That Raw was on last year but that's fine.
  13. There's a lot of talented guys from the E that would fit that bill. I'm sure Ted DiBiase or Rick Martel tore the house down somewhere at some point, but as far as a "well known" match, nothing immediately comes to mind for those two as "must see ****+ bouts".
  14. This folder was going banana over the daily match announcement gimmick WWE.com had for Series 06, Mole. Of course that show was a huge let down when the 10 man tags were so underwhelming... but yeah! We love the Series!
  15. 91 is a pretty brutal show but it was my first live event (and I was just a kid!) and the opener is pretty good. I love Survivor Series 93 - 96 though. 93 is a bit weak but I still love it.
  16. I don't know... I thought it was a made up internet term for the team but then I heard it actually used. My memory of this is hearing it while watching a downloaded Clash two years ago, but I'm thinking it might have been me thinking it was a name Scott Keith made up then hearing it confirmed somewhere else on the net.
  17. Papa John's opened 3 stores in this city in September of 2000. By December of 2000 they all closed. It was pretty cheap and I enjoyed it (though I heard people call the sauce 'too sweet', which I could see). I think they also had crust dipping sauce which places need to do more of. Pizza Pizza in Canada has been doing it for years without stopping - in fact, they just keep adding more flavours - but I notice the American chains seem to introduce these sauces and pimp them hard in ads then ignore their existence all together afterward.
  18. You should really leave this thread up to me. I had no catchy sub-title, but "Horrible Series"? Really? I'm a Series mark, man. Plus the SmackDown main event is going to rock the show.
  19. I heartily approve of that line-up. As I've mentioned a few times, my tape collection is woefully short of Survivor Series shows, and hey, there's the best (only good?) match from the 91 edition! Of course, bad as the show was, it was my first live event ever and holds a special place in my heart. Is that tag match 42 minutes on the Coliseum release, or is this the first time in 19 years people can see it in full? Even at that, I haven't seen the show since 1992. Watching the Pillman 6-man was funny because I was just reading about Stampede revival from that era in Bret's book. Bret goes on about Bruce's overuse of ballshot finishes... and how did this match end? By someone crotching themselves on the ropes! Short video clips from the November Preview revealed (assuming they're an accurate depiction) that "Rock vs Austin" is (naturally) the WM 17 match and "Dr. Death Tag Match" does indeed appear to be a WCW Miracle Violence Connection match.
  20. If any of you find yourselves in Windsor, Ontario looking for some 'za, go to a place called Francos.
  21. I enjoy Pizza Pizza's option to swap out tomato sauce for BBQ. Goes good with chicken.
  22. Smith Hart sounds like quite the character. "Satanic Ecstasy" sure is a classy name for a kid.
  23. Dan Whalers has a good column over on WO about people needing to calm down about this whole thing.
  24. The Brooklyn Pizza from Dominos is good, nothing like their normal pizza... though it is a decade late rip-off of the Hut's "Big New Yorker".
×
×
  • Create New...