TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

TSM reviewers

Who's reviews do you read often at TSM? This question just popped into my head while reading a thread in the Puro folder regarding Chris Coey writing for the site but not being let back in the forum.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

Indeed. I read Brandon's. Sometimes Jay's if Sandy makes an appearence.

I used to read Ed's because we were friends. But other than that...no ones really.

I try to read a few things a month though.

Truthfuly, the only reviews I ever read are Brandon Truitt's shoot reveiws.

Same.

Don't really need one persons review of a show since I get everyone's opinions in the actual threads.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Anything that looks interesting. Not so much Movie/DVD stuff except for Goodears Friday thr 13th reviews. Shoot Interviews are ones I read more often though.

Truthfuly, the only reviews I ever read are Brandon Truitt's shoot reveiws.

Same.

Don't really need one persons review of a show since I get everyone's opinions in the actual threads.

That's the reason I pass the show reviews. The only time I'll ever look at one is to quickly skim over it and see what the results were.

I read Brandon's shoot reviews, any show reviews (but I don't actually read them, I just skim them for match quality and results), and the DVD Tuesday column so I know what's ahead for DVDs.

Jason

I'm glad that the shoots are appreciated...

I only hope that my new attempts to branch out are liked just as much.

Look for a series of articles outside of wrestling soon, including several on The Shield.

Read Laz's TNA reports to keep updated on whats going on there. Read the shoot interviews if they concern someone I'd be interested in seeing (not being too much of an old school fan recent ones like the Garvin aren't too interesting). I'll read pretty much any indy reviews (PCN normally do these but a couple of others have cropped up).

Read the new Coey review because I thought he may have been asked to do new reviews because he'd improved. His reviews still make me dislike wrestling and also wonder how someone can be so anal and picky about something which is simply an entertainment form.

Guest RickyChosyu

You must not have read very much of it, then.

Film and music are entertainment forms - are we not alowed to criticize them either? Sex is entertaining, but maybe we shouldn't say anything when that's bad, too.

It's all too fitting that wrestling is still sort of viewed as a Southern thing in the States - Southerners and wrestling fans both have massive inferiority complexes.

Guest cobainwasmurdered

I read his article and It was very interesting but i'd like it more if he provided some backstory to the matches instead of tossing them out there.

Guest RickyChosyu

Check out the stuff he's done in the past - more than enough backstory if you know where to look. And you could always just ask him.

Guest RickyChosyu

He made me a punching bag the first SEVERAL months he was here. And he was worse than than he is now. It happens. You either suck it up and take a chance, or you go home with your questions unanswered.

Film and music are entertainment forms - are we not alowed to criticize them either? Sex is entertaining, but maybe we shouldn't say anything when that's bad, too.

Theres criticism and anal criticsm.

'I don't think Kevin Spacey showed the right emotion 12 minutes into the Usual Suspects - he looks up and it should have been more a look of fear/sadness rather than just fear"

"You didn't grab my crotch into the 7th minute of this lovemaking, thats absurd"

Guest RickyChosyu

You still haven't bothered addressing my point. What did you read? What did you disagree with? What lead you to think he's "too picky"? Over-the-top remarks like yours don't make any points or answer anyone's questions.

My problem with his review (although, admittedly, the only one I've read was the one posted here recently) is that he'll talk about why he liked or didn't like the match...but didn't give PBP or even a summary of what happened, so unless I've seen the match I'm lost.

My problem with his review (although, admittedly, the only one I've read was the one posted here recently) is that he'll talk about why he liked or didn't like the match...but didn't give PBP or even a summary of what happened, so unless I've seen the match I'm lost.

Actually, I like that approach more than the stale PBP forumla most people follow. I think only the key or most notable PBP should even be mentioned and think that documenting the match move-for-move is a lazy and dull approach to reviewing a match. Yeah, you fill up more space that way, but most of it's not needed and I usually end up skipping the majority of the PBP in any reviews. Whether I've seen the match or not, I want to know why the reviewer thinks what works and what doesn't and why. Talking about every little thing that takes place in a match, regardless of how important it is, is a lot like a guy working on someone's leg during the entire match and then it having no affect on the climax.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I see a lot of PBP, I usually browse on down to the last few sentences that'll tell me the finishing sequence and hopefully, what was good and what wasn't good about the match. I don't care for Coey too much, but as a reviewer, I think he's one of the more unique guys from the crop, as he tells you what works and what doesn't, and to me, that's what I look for when reading a review. Sure, I like some humor thrown in if it's a appropriate, but I honestly cringe when I read a lot of the reviews out there, because all it does is tell you everything that happened with little personal insight to the quality of it, aside from a star rating that's clearly been pulled out of the sky, as it's rarely backed up with any reasoning other than maybe one or two sentences, often along the lines of, "it was a total mess." Just my two cents.

I like Coey's reviews, nobody would dispute his knowledge about wrestling and he doesn't pull any punches, i don't need a review that lists every single move in a match. Hopefully he'll stick to what he's good at because he fucking sucked at trying to be a 'message board heel' when he couldn't flame his way out of a paper bag. As for the others, I read the shoots and show reviews mostly. There's plenty I don't know about wrestling compared to a lot of people here but as for movies and music I don't take anybody's opinions as gospel because generally I know my stuff as well as anybody else.

I generally read the shoot reviews, the Lazarush, the indy reviews and the Friday the 13th reviews that have been popping up. I also read the Raw report from time to time.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Chris Coey is a complete asshole that writes better stuff than the rest of this site's reviewers put together. I'll glance through a shoot review now and again if it's about someone I liked watching, but that's about it anymore.

Guest Banders Kennany

What is up with RickyChosyu? Whenever the Chris Coey review is mentioned he posts and that seems to be it for him. Anyway, the reviews I read are the WWE reports, the DVD reports, and the shoots by the ever reliable Brandon Truitt. I don't read the TNA reports every week but this is no shot at Laz, it is just I have been out of the loop for what's happening in TNA for so long it's hard to get back into it.

I read Brandons... occasionally Dames.  And of course mine... whenever I can be bothered to do one.

Of course you read yours, you wrote yours. Even if you don't proofread you are reading it as you go along. C'mon don't be an idiot.

Chris Coey is a complete asshole that writes better stuff than the rest of this site's reviewers put together. I'll glance through a shoot review now and again if it's about someone I liked watching, but that's about it anymore.

Hey hey, if you like Coey that's fine........I haven't read his review yet so I am certainly not in a position to judge, but saying he is that much better than guys like JHawk and Laz is a bit of a slap to their faces and the very hard work they contribute to the site.

As far as reviews go from here i only really the shoot interviews and Raw reviews, mostly to keep up with what's going on since i always miss it. I used to read the TNA recaps until all my interest in that promotion was killed, and i'd read Chris' reviews if i didn't see then at his site first.

Hey hey, if you like Coey that's fine........I haven't read his review yet so I am certainly not in a position to judge, but saying he is that much better than guys like JHawk and Laz is a bit of a slap to their faces and the very hard work they contribute to the site.

I haven't read Laz, but I'm sorry, JHawk's reviews suck. That's not saying he doesn't work hard, and from time to time he's been much more level headed than say Scott Kieth with the star ratings. But sadly he's just like everybody else, play by play, and here's some snowflakes.

What is up with RickyChosyu? Whenever the Chris Coey review is mentioned he posts and that seems to be it for him.

My theory is that his first action on the board is to go to the search engine and type in "Coey".

Then he clicks every link and tells everyone why they are stupid.

He's like the apprentice.