TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Leon

Most Underrated Match Ever

Guest Leon

Mine would have to be Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series 1992. IMO, it's a technically beautiful match to watch and ****3/4 overall. It's 27 minutes long and much better than their overrated Ironman encounter at WresteMania 12.

Anyone agree? Disagree?

Dunno about most underrated ever because there's probably a whole load.

But I agree that it's a really awesome match. Trouble is, it's forgotten by many because there was no real build-up to or follow-up from it. And there was the token post-match Santa appearance of course.

Guest Your Olympic Hero

That show was built around the tag match w/ Savage & Perfect against Flair & Ramon (which ended in a cheap DQ).

The World title match had no real buildup, featured a brand new main eventer (Bret) and someone who quite honestly wasn't ready for the main event yet (HBK).

But it was a great match.

Guest Ray

I don't know about most underrated ever, but Austin/Taker from Summerslam 1998 is amazingly underrated. It's a hell of a lot smarter and better than Taker/Foley, and it's a WWF MOTYC, but it gets almost no attention and is generally dismissed by most people.

Guest Contentious C
It's a hell of a lot smarter and better than Taker/Foley,

Because when you think "ringing endorsement for a match," you think "it's better than Taker/Mankind."

ive got a few

1.austin .vs. undertaker summerslam 1998.

2.sting .vs. ric flair the great american bash 1990.

3.chris benoit .vs. jeff jarrett starcade 1999.

Both Awesome/Tanaka matches from late 99 are better than anything the WWF did that year. That's not much of an accomplishment, I know, but they were the best ECW matches I've ever seen.

..that's still not much to brag about, so let me say this: Awesome/Masato > your house.

..I'm assuming you have at least two bathrooms and a dishwasher.

Bret/Shawn from 92 is very underrated, as is the Bret/Bulldog match from December 95. This match gets none of the fanfare of their 92 match, but it's definately better in my opinion.

Guest Ray
It's a hell of a lot smarter and better than Taker/Foley,

Because when you think "ringing endorsement for a match," you think "it's better than Taker/Mankind."

The Taker/Foley comment is there because Taker/Foley is often called the best WWF match of 1998, overshadowing it.

-Benoit vs. Malenko (Hog Wild '96)

-Taz vs. Bam Bam (Heat Wave '98)

-Benoit vs. Angle (Backlash '01)

I usually respond to these threads w/ the same match, so I may as well be consistent:

- Jim Duggan vs. Macho King Randy Savage for the Crown --- MSG 10/89 (on CV's Mega Matches). Not technically great, but a helluva lot of fun to watch.

-Benoit vs. Malenko (Hog Wild '96)

No doubt. I'm not a big fan of the ending, but that was a solid technical match. I was impressed they went 27 minutes in 85-90 degree heat.

Rey Mysterio vs. Ultimo Dragon from the same show is also underrated. I perfer this match to their WW3 encounter, although the ending sequence in WW3 was much better.

Edge/Christian vs. The Hardy Boys at NWO 2000 is overshadowed by their TLC stuff, but this was the best "real" match between these teams.

Making a judgment call here, guys.

I begrudgingly let the Most Entertaining Match Ever thread stay in Old School, mostly because it was already two or three days old by the time I saw it due to my work schedule. But these types of threads really need to stay in Wrestling Polls and Lists, which is designed for these types of threads.

Great topic, but let's keep it where it belongs.

Gotta respond on Benoit/Jarrett. Saw this live on PPV, liked it. Been reading reviews/questions on it so I picked up a copy at the video store.

Nothing special. Excellent for WCW at the time, but not special or "most underrated".

I give it ** 3/4.

Gotta respond on Benoit/Jarrett. Saw this live on PPV, liked it. Been reading reviews/questions on it so I picked up a copy at the video store.

Nothing special. Excellent for WCW at the time, but not special or "most underrated".

I give it ** 3/4.

I dont whether it's classed as underrated, but Jarret/Michaels from IYH July 95 was a brilliant match that you dont hear enough about. Probably Jarretts best match ever.

I always loved the Hardys/Lita v Trish/T+A opener from Fully Loaded 2000, it gets the crowd jacked, great moves and an exciting match, check it out again, and you will see what I mean

Shawn Michaels vs. Jeff Jarrett at the second In Your House. Probably the second best match Shawn has ever had (after WM X, and considering how much the lame ending to Mind Games pisses me off), and far and away the best match Jarrett has ever had. WWF MOTY for 1995, no question. Much better than the spotty Razor/Shawn II from Summerslam.

I'd say definitely HBK-Jarrett from IYH 2 as well. My WWF MOTY for 1995.

Another one is Austin vs. Owen from Summerslam 97. All I ever hear about it is the piledriver and Austin breaking his neck. Before it though, it's an excellent, fast-paced match with a great crowd (including me). I watched it just yesterday. ****1/4

Chris Benoit vs. Jeff Jarrett from Starrcade '99 was good, but I really liked their regular match from Mayhem '99. The finish sucked but everything before it was really good.

Another one is Austin vs. Owen from Summerslam 97. All I ever hear about it is the piledriver and Austin breaking his neck. Before it though, it's an excellent, fast-paced match with a great crowd (including me). I watched it just yesterday. ****1/4

Whenever I get the feeling that something is missing from wrestling I find myself going back to that match.

Then I realize that the thing that is missing is Owen.

All and all an excellent match. The botch finish overshadows the entire match though, which is sad.

Dustin Rhodes vs. Bunkhouse Buck - Spring Stampede '94

Brian Pillman vs. Marcus Bagwell - Clash of the Champions XXXI

Yoshihiro Tajiri vs. Psicosis - 08/20/00

Brock Lesnar vs. Undertaker - No Mercy '02

Steve Corino vs. Homicide - War of the Wire

Guest rawmvp

Fully Loaded 2000 is one of the most underrated PPV's ever:

Rock-Benoit -- Classic match

Jericho-HHH -- Classic match

Rikishi-Venis in a pretty good cage match

T&A, Trish vs. Hardyz, Lita -- amazing opener

Saturn vs. Eddy Guerrero -- underrated European title match

Guest thatdude21601

The previously mentioned Tajiri/Psicosis match^.

Tajiri/Corino(not sure of the date, but Corino was about to die....or he's the master of selling).

Any Ohmukai vs. Okutsu match

Cena/Taker from a few months back on SD( I don't like either guys ringwork too much, but they click well together in weirdly fun brawls.)

Benoit/Eddie Nitro 10/16/95 (I saw someone give it ** in the Benoit DVD thread :huh: .....It smokes their '94 J-cup match imo, and people seem to love giving that one lots of snowflakes.)

The Orton/Venis match from Heat awhile back...It ruled.

Bret/Piper from WMVIII. That Mania was the first wrestling show I ever watched and it's that match that I credit with making me a wrestling fan. Watched it again recently and it was still awesome, one of my 3 favourite matches ever, but it's generally overlooked for the Flair/Savage match or the Bulldog/Bret match as the classic for that year.

Guest Rrrsh
Gotta respond on Benoit/Jarrett.  Saw this live on PPV, liked it.  Been reading reviews/questions on it so I picked up a copy at the video store.

Nothing special.  Excellent for WCW at the time, but not special or "most underrated".

I give it ** 3/4.

I dont whether it's classed as underrated, but Jarret/Michaels from IYH July 95 was a brilliant match that you dont hear enough about. Probably Jarretts best match ever.

That was one of the matches I was hoping was going to be on the new HBK DVD before I learned it was gonna be garbage.

Definatly Jarret's best match.

Fully Loaded 2000 is one of the most underrated PPV's ever:

Rock-Benoit -- Classic match

Jericho-HHH -- Classic match

Rikishi-Venis in a pretty good cage match

T&A, Trish vs. Hardyz, Lita -- amazing opener

Saturn vs. Eddy Guerrero -- underrated European title match

I agree with the above statement.

Rock-Benoit -Very enjoyable. Could be GREAT without Shane & Foley's involvement, IMHO.

Jericho-HHH - Classic match.

Rikishi-Venis - Don't know who's crazier, Rikishi for that stunt or Venis for taking the damage. Suprisingly good.

T&A, Trish vs. Hardyz, Lita - another suprisingly enjoyable match.

Saturn vs. Eddy Guerrero - perfectly good match for my taste...however they could do much better, I think.

Guest Real F'n Show
Tajiri/Corino(not sure of the date, but Corino was about to die....or he's the master of selling).

If you're talking about Hardcore Heaven 2000, I agree. Brutal match, plus I was there live, which is also a bonus. ****

Bret/Piper from WMVIII. That Mania was the first wrestling show I ever watched and it's that match that I credit with making me a wrestling fan.

I agree with you on this one. It was actually the first PPV I ordered and even though I had been watching wrestling for a while this the match that has made me the wrestling fan that I am today. I think this might be my favorite wrestling match of all time.

Thanks.

Benoit/Eddie Nitro 10/16/95 (I saw someone give it ** in the Benoit DVD thread :huh: .....It smokes their '94 J-cup match imo, and people seem to love giving that one lots of snowflakes.)

Their J-Cup match sucked. There's really nothing to it. The Nitro match is better, but still not that good. As far as I know, the only really good Eddie/Benoit matches on tape would be one from one of the syndie WCW shows and another one from Japan. I don't remember the dates or anything, though.

Anyways, Venis has had a ton of great matches on Heat that nobody ever seems to care about.